1st gen rav4

I really like 1st gen rav4s and I wanna get one to daily this winter. I know they're getting a bit older at this point tho. Do they last 4ever like 4runners? Or are they starting to frick up at this point? What issues should I watch out for? Also, what about the rav4 from the same era? The yota looks nicer, but I know honda engines are good. Is the yota or the honda better? Should I hold out for a manual or get the auto if reliability is the main goal? What about the holy grail 2door/manual/awd car? Is it worth looking for one or is it pretty much just unobtainium for collectors at this point?

Die For Epstein's Client List Shirt $21.68

It's All Fucked Shirt $22.14

Die For Epstein's Client List Shirt $21.68

1. 5 months ago
    Anonymous

I live in Norcal where these things used to be everywhere. I rarely if ever see them now. First gen was from the mid-90's, it's a 30 year old car at this point. Unless you can find one some grandpa's been hoarding you're unlikely to find one that's not completely clapped out.

• 5 months ago
      Anonymous

>you're unlikely to find one that's not completely clapped out.
      I currently drive a 17 year old BMW, so I kinda feel like an old yota will be more reliable

Automatic is too slow. If you hit a steep hill at 50 mph it will slow down till it can drop into 1st gear. Manual would be marginally better, but you would have to race it to keep up with traffic. You should really look at more powerful vehicles.

Also I had the predecessor to the rav 4. The toyota tercel 4x4. That thing was pretty cool aside from being really slow. And the engine burned out

>Manual would be marginally better, but you would have to race it to keep up with traffic.
      I found a nice manual with a new clutch and not much rust for sale
      >You should really look at more powerful vehicles.
      why?
      I don't really care about driving fast. I find it fun to hoon around in the snow in my BMW, but slow is not a deal breaker for me. My last car was a 91 toyota prado, so it couldn't be slower than that. I just want to throw all my skis in the back and drive through the snow and have it be simple and easy to fix. But I don't really want to rebuild the engine... so that's why I'm wondering if they're like 4runners or not. I doubt 3sfe is as stout as the 22re, but can it at least go like 400,000kms?

• 5 months ago
        Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/Ea4XZFe.jpg

I really like 1st gen rav4s and I wanna get one to daily this winter. I know they're getting a bit older at this point tho. Do they last 4ever like 4runners? Or are they starting to frick up at this point? What issues should I watch out for? Also, what about the rav4 from the same era? The yota looks nicer, but I know honda engines are good. Is the yota or the honda better? Should I hold out for a manual or get the auto if reliability is the main goal? What about the holy grail 2door/manual/awd car? Is it worth looking for one or is it pretty much just unobtainium for collectors at this point?

It's this or a 2ng gen impreza. What I really want is a 2.5 outback hatchback hawkeye, but I just don't want to do engine work, and it's hard to find a manual/hatch 2nd gen impreza with the headgaskets replaced.
        I'll fix anything. I am renting a flat with a full garage and tools. I just don't want to take the engine out cause I'm too busy doing grad school.

• 5 months ago
          Anonymous

op consider a 1st gen forester

buying an old subaru you're pretty much committed to pulling the engine out and doing headgaskets at some point, which is alright because it is very easy to accomplish

• 5 months ago
            Anonymous

>1dt gen Forester
            I'd rather get a 1dt or 2nd gen Impreza hatchback. I don't actually need a big car. I just need a hatchback trunk and rear folding seats to put my skis and AWD and a bit of clearance for snow and light trails in the summer. A 2nd gen Impreza Outback lifted on Forester struts would actually be better than a rav4 for me, but I just don't want to pull an engine for another year or two.

2. 5 months ago
    Anonymous

I have one, they're great cars but the pick up on them is slow.

• 5 months ago
      Anonymous

time for a 3sgte swap...if you can find one for a decent price ofc

3. 5 months ago
    Anonymous

https://www.youtube.com/@LabCoatPaul/videos

4. 5 months ago
    Anonymous

The 2 door is so rad. There’s an auto 2 door for sale near me that’s a 97 I think. But it’s just too old, definitely going to start piling on the issues in the next few years

5. 5 months ago
    Anonymous

Automatic is too slow. If you hit a steep hill at 50 mph it will slow down till it can drop into 1st gear. Manual would be marginally better, but you would have to race it to keep up with traffic. You should really look at more powerful vehicles.

Also I had the predecessor to the rav 4. The toyota tercel 4x4. That thing was pretty cool aside from being really slow. And the engine burned out

• 5 months ago
      Anonymous

These are cheapo cars now, you should be able to find them all over autotrader, FB marketplace, etc but they'll be high mileage. Why gen 1? Just lease a new one if you're poor.

I had the last gen 2.5 and it didn't struggle on hills. Loved the damn thing, never had any reliability issues until all the plastic cladding underneath it got shredded because I actually offroaded it. Toyota needs to stop using those fricking plastic pins to pin plastic shit all over everything.

6. 5 months ago
    Anonymous

Have you considered the Subaru Forester? It has a 2.5L engine so its actually goo enough to drive on hills.

CR-V was pretty good too but the ricers used to take the engines out and put them in the crx, so limited selection of older ones.

• 5 months ago
      Anonymous

>ricers used to take the engines out and put them in the crx
      The B20B is so weak in the CRV but feels like a completely different motor when swapped into a lighter Honda I can see why people do it.

• 5 months ago
        Anonymous

but how does it compare to the rav4? What's better at high mileage? a b20b or a 3sfe?
        What about the drivetrain? Is there a difference between the honda and the yota?

• 5 months ago
          Anonymous

I never owned a Rav4 so I can't comment, Someone here claimed the Rav4 has better AWD than the CRV. Going off the complaints about the Rav4 in this thread about it being slow and needing to be revved high to keep up with modern traffic it seems like they're two sides of the same coin. The First gen CRV has seats that fold into a bed if that matters to you.

• 5 months ago
            Anonymous

>The First gen CRV has seats that fold into a bed if that matters to you.
            I really like that actually. I don't really care about slow. But AWD drivetrains can be annoying to maintain, so I can see the advantages to the yota for that. It also just looks better. Do the rav4 seats not fold down?

• 5 months ago
            Anonymous

>Do the rav4 seats not fold down
            They fold up for more storage space it seems.

• 5 months ago
            Anonymous

I see
            damn it looks like that clean manual rav4 is gonna sell fast. They don't come up much. And if you really need to rev it that much, I would prefer the auto
            gotta just love that interior

• 5 months ago
            Anonymous

That do be nice interior, I would still prefer the 5 speed. It's better to be in control and rev it high when you need it than to be in an automatic and be at the mercy of the computer.

• 5 months ago
            Anonymous

yeah frick I love those seats and the tape deck and the oldschool shift boot. hate new cars

The auto is slower. It literally cant hold speed on steeper hills.

ok that's very good to know. I'll definitely hold out for a 5speed. I bet a 5speed 2door is unobtanium tho, much as that would be fantastic. Would be beautiful to have a 5speed 2door 3sgte japanmobile, but that's dreaming not daily driving

time for a 3sgte swap...if you can find one for a decent price ofc

I think you just do that if you find a 5speed 2door creampuff. I'm just looking for daily beater here, just to fill with my skis and shit and never wash

• 5 months ago
            Anonymous

If you're just looking for a snowmobile for outdoor stuff, its easier to find a 90s/00s Subaru. I have a 5 mt forester with chonky roof racks. Its actually easier to maintain cause you dont have to pull off the wheel to change belts and accessories like transverse cars. And most of the parts are compatible with all of the Subarus. The manual transmission even has a dipstick.

• 5 months ago
            Anonymous

The auto is slower. It literally cant hold speed on steeper hills.

• 5 months ago
            Anonymous

First gen RAV was always on with a locking center diff, at least in manual versions.

Rav4s and CRVs basically brought soft roader into the automotive lexicon. They're not very capable.

Older RAVs are surprisingly capable and mine did decently offroad, even with street tires

• 5 months ago
            Anonymous

>Although the RAV4 might have made it across our trout stream, it did not possess the power to surmount the jagged rocks on the far shore. So that's how this Toyota's test concluded—at the beach, parked in the sun next to the Subaru, looking clean, cute, and content.
            >Four-wheeling addicts consider the RAV4 an off-road consumptive, the Niles Crane of trail machines. It doesn't help that Toyota's optional "Rugged" package comprises only decals, fender flares, and running boards. In a previous test in Arizona (C/D, July 1996), a three-door RAV4 ran slaloms around dead cows in a light-duty sortie into Coronado National Forest. But in California, on trails Stewart described as "the toughest I'd subject any stock vehicle to," this dingo fell lame. Cresting a sand dune, its right-front suspension moved permanently astern an inch. On the loose-shale hillclimb, its left-front caliper became impacted with gravel. Crossed up in ruts, there was sufficient suspension twist—"as flexible as Bob Dole's dewlaps," whooped one editor—that the sunroof ceased groovin'. When we parked the RAV4, it was in agonal respirations, waiting for claims adjusters to arrive.
            https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison-test/a15141372/off-road-suv-extravaganza/

7. 5 months ago
    Anonymous

>LGBTQ RAV4
    LGBTQ RAV4

8. 5 months ago
    Anonymous

Rav4s and CRVs basically brought soft roader into the automotive lexicon. They're not very capable.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *