2018 Tesla Model 3 is the worst car and investment I have ever owned

I originally preorder this car back in 2016, I was a huge Tesla fanboy completely believed in the vision. Elon was saying amazing things like that it will be able to make you 30k a year over night as a robot taxi, or that it will have full self driving by 2019 or even that these cars will appreciate in value not depreciate in value. I purchased this car for 72k back in 2018, in early 2024 I asked Tesla for trade in value, they said they would give me 13k. 72k -> 13k in 6 years. I have never seen such insane depreciation in a car, this is a 140k mile car as well so not even an insane amount of miles. In those 6 years that my car lost over 80% of its value none of Elons promises came true. It still doesn't drive itself, it sure isn't a robot taxi and to think it wouldn't lose value now is laughable. Of course Elon was still paid an extremely hefty pay package recently for "getting things done" despite the fact all of the factors I bought my car on have not come true and will almost definitely never come true. So I got my bad news of it only being worth about 13k a month ago, whatever I guess I have to try and keep this car as long as possible. A few days ago I am driving and it enters limp mode. The nearest service center is about 400 miles away but luckily I make It there (after having to take a full day off work to do it and spending all day on it). Cost estimate to fix it is $1,500, harsh but whatever I'll do it. I then get a call a couple hours later. The rear engine and AC compressor are both out, estimated cost? $8200 before tax. Basically I bought this car, none of the promises of things it would do came true, it lost over $60,000 in value in 6 years and then detonated at 140k miles. I have no idea how people think these are either reliable or a smart financial decision to buy. Save yourself the headache and stay away from Tesla.

Homeless People Are Sexy Shirt $21.68

The Kind of Tired That Sleep Won’t Fix Shirt $21.68

Homeless People Are Sexy Shirt $21.68

1. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

Now here's my question for you all. My car is currently sitting in the service center. I can pay $8200 to fix it, but not sure if that's the best idea because what happens if next the battery pack fails. The car has FSD on it which is transferable rn and a 8k option. I will not buy a new Tesla as I have learned they lose at least 20k in value just year 1. Do I fix my current car? Do I sell it to someone for scrap and FSD value?

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

Scrap + FSD value
      The FSD is just software right? How is someone going to extract value out of that while scrapping the car, you expect them to pay you 8k for a digital update that doesn't do anything in a car that does not drive?
      I don't understand.

• 1 week ago
        Anonymous

This is what I am leaning towards. I am thinking I can get around 14k even in the condition it's in just because of the FSD transferability.

• 1 week ago
        Anonymous

Misunderstood what you were saying. Currently FSD is transferable meaning if somewhere where to buy this car they could transfer the FSD on it to a new car, which is worth 8k, as well as they can sell the physical car.

• 1 week ago
          Anonymous

The idea of buying scrap to transfer a software update is wild and absurd to me.
          Good luck making that sale.

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

Go check salvage prices it's honestly an insane market.

• 1 week ago
          Anonymous

see what they offer for scrap, see what they offer specifically for FSD. maybe junkyards are in the know about this, but maybe selling the FSD directly or separately somewhere else would net you more

2. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

>The rear engine
    yep that's all I needed to hear. nice loss lmao

3. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

wtf is this made up bullshit?

[...]

mi in 6yrs
    >over 20k miles per year in an electric
    also
    >I have no idea how people think these are either reliable or a smart financial decision to buy
    well, you supposedly beat your car to absolute shit for 6 years and didn't have any problems until now so I'd say that's pretty reliable

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

[...]

mi in 6yrs
      If you have a 40 mile commute to work and back that you do on an interstate at 75mph, it's a roughly 20-30 minutes commute to work:
      40x2 (to work and back home) = 80*5 = 400m per week minimum. Add 50 more for groceries and other random trips.
      That's 450 miles per week.
      52 weeks in a year = 23,400 miles * 6 years =
      140,400 miles

Not really hard to do or unbelievable if it's their daily. People who suck at math (enough to not figure this out on their own) are actually depressing to me.

4. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

We tolded you

5. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

Mario, boil some water. We got some new pasta fresh from the market

6. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

What did the 140k miles cost for electricity?
    My truck was $25k new in '03, now worth about $10k. But it drank ~$50k in fuel over those years and chewed up a lot of tires and parts.

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

I have worked out that what I pay at a supercharger is the equivalent to like 30-40mpg about in terms of cost. At home it gets like 120mpg in terms of cost but like I said I commonly

7. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

>140k mile car as well so not even an insane amount of miles. In those 6 years
    That's an assload of miles in 6 years, wtf are you talking about?

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

wtf is this made up bullshit?
      [...]mi in 6yrs
      >over 20k miles per year in an electric
      also
      >I have no idea how people think these are either reliable or a smart financial decision to buy
      well, you supposedly beat your car to absolute shit for 6 years and didn't have any problems until now so I'd say that's pretty reliable

According to Tesla these should last 500k miles. That was the premise I bought it on. I drive to California from the east coast and back a couple times a year so that's where the majority is from. Just highway miles nothing that was really beating it up.

• 1 week ago
        Anonymous

There are million mile teslas out there, bit they needed new motors every 80k miles and various other work. Your experience is similar to anyone who buys a new car, only you believed in robo taxi nonsense

• 1 week ago
          Anonymous

iirc the last one that was discussed here had 2 motor replacements, at 500k and like 700-800k?
          which, honestly, im not even mad at.

How did elon create an electric that doesn't last?

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

It's not just the electric stuff that wears out, but basic things like joints and bearings, too. They're failing tons of these in countries with mandatory inspections because everything's out of spec after 5-10 years.
            Just shows that they're new to this and don't know how the parts are going to wear, I guess. Some of the buyers seem happy to be their beta testers.

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

>5-10 years
            I actually looked up some data. It doesn't even take that long. New cars in binland have to be first inspected after 4 years.
            Is it called the Model 3 because it wears out at least 3 times as fast?

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

by making it proprietary and fully integrated instead of open and easily serviced.
            anyone whose owned an rc car knew exactly what would happen to every tesla because it's exactly what happens to consumer grade rc cars without part support or user-friendly engineering: they fall apart and you throw them away

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

lamo
            >motor controller is also the infotainment system is also the bcm is also the self driving computer
            >cosmic radiation flips a single random bit
            >entire car bricked
            >cant just swap ecus because you bought fsd
            >money stolen

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

It's not just the electric stuff that wears out, but basic things like joints and bearings, too. They're failing tons of these in countries with mandatory inspections because everything's out of spec after 5-10 years.
            Just shows that they're new to this and don't know how the parts are going to wear, I guess. Some of the buyers seem happy to be their beta testers.

Wear and tear on the suspension, I can understand. They are pigfat after all.
            But failure in the gearbox and electric motor, that is just pathetic.
            Electric motors in factories run for more than a decade with no service, and around the clock.
            The gearbox and engine bearings in almost any shitbox lasts for 200k miles easily.

https://i.imgur.com/q1zusCU.png

>5-10 years
            I actually looked up some data. It doesn't even take that long. New cars in binland have to be first inspected after 4 years.
            Is it called the Model 3 because it wears out at least 3 times as fast?

>pic
            lmao

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

The problem is that its a single speed transmission designed for highway speeds. When motors operate at low RPM, high load (moving that pigfat car in heavy traffic) especially on hills, they burn up eventually. The 40 year old motors at my factory operate at a single speed.

The plaid teslas might do better cause they have more gear reduction and they can just spin at 20k rpm to give that top speed that no one will actually use off the track, so they can pretty much void the warranty if it goes anywhere near max rpm.

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

>Wear and tear on the suspension, I can understand. They are pigfat after all.
            Those statistics don't go into a lot of detail on what exactly the problem was, but oddly enough, most of the Model 3 inspection fails had something to do with the rear axle. Usually on cars like Dacias and Renaults that are notorious for wearing out, it's the front axle parts, suspension and steering that wear out on our shit roads.
            Wonder how much extra abuse that rear axle takes from the electric motor's torque.

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

This is bay far my biggest issue. If this was a regular car I would have likely been able to just fix it myself. But Tesla you are forced into this shitty system. It's worse than an Apple product in terms of repairability and openness.

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

Elon wanted to be "disruptive" and sourced non-automotive parts that he figured were still durable enough and had better paper specs than the certified automotive ones. This resulted in shit like the early Model S's central screens having the front panel glue deteriorate in the heat and sunlight to tint the whole screen with an opaque piss yellow color.

8. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

New update as well. They think it might just be the inverter and he said it'll only one 3500 all in. But he says there's a 50/50 shot it the inverter, and if its not it'll be another $4000 to fix.

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

I am a gambling man

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

why not go to a shop that knows what they're doing. Lol @ 50/50 fricking christ

• 1 week ago
        Anonymous

None around

9. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

>140k problem free miles
    >in 6 years
    anon you drove the shit out of that car. I'm surprised it even lasted that long. Honestly see if there's an independent mechanic who can fix it for less

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

I did but I bought it on the promise it would last until 500k. I am a high mileage driver and I bought a car I thought would last that long. Toyota or a Honda would likely be fine.

• 1 week ago
        Anonymous

>I did but I bought it on the promise it would last until 500k
        they generally do.
        several model S's have clocked 1mil, although generally with at least 1 battery replacement in the meantime (which i consider reasonable given the age and mileage)
        needing to spend money on the drivetrain at only 140k is unusual. how sure are you that the service center isn't bullshitting you?

> I am a high mileage driver
        tesla is a very good choice for that.
        if it turns out its just the inverter, i'd suggest fixing your existing one, but if it turns out to be the motor too, you should maybe consider a used, newer, long range model 3 from the hertz fleet.

>Toyota or a Honda would likely be fine
        older ones, maybe. anything direct injected would have very significant carbon buildup by 140k, and would have also required maintenance.
        that, plus savings on gas, should get you ahead in a tesla, even one that apparently broke down early, like yours.

• 1 week ago
          Anonymous

>several model S's have clocked 1mil, although generally with at least 1 battery replacement
          and enough motor replacements to equal purchasing value.

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

iirc the last one that was discussed here had 2 motor replacements, at 500k and like 700-800k?
            which, honestly, im not even mad at.

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

anon i own an ex-rental chrysler with 200k that's about that old and literally nothing has broken once.

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

why does everyone on this auto enthusiast board seem to think that a bit over 20k miles a year is some insane amount to drive

• 1 week ago
        Anonymous

I usually have 3 cars, so 30-45k/ yr ÷ by 3
        The one that goes 25k is my high mileage shitbox, the one that goes 5k is my truck

• 1 week ago
          Anonymous

seems pretty standard, at least for the daily. what are your 3 cars?

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

>independent mechanic
      Did you not notice that this is about a Tesla?

10. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

I have a 2010 ford ranger with 107k miles and ive spent at least $8200 in repairs to keep it running. However i did do a fair bit of offroading in it. And its worth about $14k today.

11. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

>Of course Elon was still paid an extremely hefty pay package recently for "getting things done" despite the fact all of the factors I bought my car on have not come true and will almost definitely never come true
    Tesla's job is to create shareholder value, and it accomplishes this by selling new cars. No manufacturer gives a frick about selling a used car

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

>No manufacturer gives a frick about selling a used car
      Yes they do, since if their used cars don't sell then they depreciate like crazy and no one will ever buy another one.

• 1 week ago
        Anonymous

Being that tesla is new electronics, their thing was to make cars better and cheaper.

Expecting it to retain value would be like expecting your 2016 iphone to maintain value in current year even if its broken. Phones are "better" and cheaper now.

12. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

lol at 140k and it's worthless now

paying 40k for a car. then it's shit at 140k.

yeah. hybrids and ice mogs EV.

13. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *