3% battery degregation after 2 years, 45,000 miles

And this is on the old lithium chemistry, not the longer lasting LFP battery. Should last several times longer than the average car.

Tip Your Landlord Shirt $21.68

DMT Has Friends For Me Shirt $21.68

Tip Your Landlord Shirt $21.68

1. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>Speed limited

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>wrenchlet doesn't understand diagnostic mode

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>his toy car can't use engineering/test/diagnostic mode while driving
        Lol.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Going through detailed diagnostic screens when driving at highway speeds is fricking stupid. It's the same reason that the infotainment/gps systems in most modern cars will lock out certain functions when the car is moving. There's a lot of points you could use to troll electric car drivers but this isn't one of them.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>he can't run his computer at 4k in Safe Mode

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>He can't cruise the highway while reinstalling the camshaft

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>wrench
        >diagnostic mode on an EV
        uhhhhhhhhhhhhh

2. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

What's the actual figure and not some made up bullshit the UI is told to generate from Tesla HQ

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Unfortunately, this. Elon has destroyed Tesla's credibility. Tesla could be telling the truth here but there's no way to know they aren't full of shit, so there's no conclusion to take here.
      We will have to wait 30 years to know if the battery lasts 30 years.

3. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

How do you know the degradation isn't exponential over time, Mr. ESL OP?

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

You don't. Only time will tell that.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

It's logarithmic, not exponential.

• 2 months ago
        s10fag

only 3 of my bananas went bad after a month, at that rate my stock of 60 bananas will last 20 months, right? capacity = lifetime logic?

no one on this board has ever had their 3 year old laptops battery suddenly stop working from holding a ~90% charge before

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

It's been shown that Tesla batteries drop fast initially, but then level off above 90%. That's logarithmic.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Yep. It's not linear, but logarithmic. So the drop will only slow down.

And when it drops to 80% its considered end of life. Kek.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

For warranty purposes, yes. Not real-world.

I.E. My phone's battery is at 75% original capacity after 4 years and accidentally leaving it out in the sun a few times. Technically EOL for the battery, but my phone still works fine. Same thign goes for a car

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

The rate of degradation increases with increasing time. That is the definition of exponential.

Logarithmic is the inverse.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Yeah, I know what exponential is. That's why I said logarithmic. Degregation has been shown to slow down, i.e. level off.

4. 2 months ago
    s10fag

>drives less in 2yr than i do in 6 mo
    >buys a new car
    Black person just get an uber at that point

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Damn, you are a slave in the pod. Sorry you drive 6 times more than the average American car owner.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

I drive less than 2000 miles a year and I have 3 cars

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Kid, shut the frick up.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>Drives 90,000 miles in a year
      The average mpg of a new car on the US is 25 so you're burning 3,600 gallons and paying 14,400 dollars a year for that. All of that you'd save if you used an EV with solar panels on your roof.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>All of that you'd save if you used an EV with solar panels on your roof.

>$60,000 car
        >$60,000 in solar panels
        >$5,000 for charger station

Wow, such value.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

I know that's not your house or your car but solar panels are a giant fricking scam and the companies that install them are the scum of the earth.

5. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

cool, my 24 year old ICE has 0% range loss

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

contrarian poorgays arent teslas target market

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>my 24 year old ICE has 0% range loss
      Bullshit. I highly doubt your 24 year old engine is getting the same fuel mileage it was when it was new.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>remove smog devices
        >increase fuel mileage (also increase pollutants).
        I actually have a 1989 GMT 400 (that passes smog) that gets better mileage today than the official 1989 numbers.
        It's not difficult to jeep a gasoline engine in prime condition.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>increasing mpg on gmt400
          Is it possible to learn this power?

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

He probably replaced the TBI with a two stage carb. Those trucks can run under 2000 rpm and a normal 2nd stage opens at 3000. Mechanical carburetors operate on throttle position, not engine speed and vacuum pressure. Adjusting the fuel flow on a carburetor is easier than a fuel injection system. TBI is a fuel injected carburetor.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

I'm not a wrenchlet, so it's in good shape and purrs like a kitten. I got better than the EPA estimates on my recent 600 mile road trip (25 city 29 highway, I got 30 for the average across both tanks of gas which did include some city driving).

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

If you rebuild your engine every 10 years or whatever, sure. But isn't that conceptually equivalent to replacing the battery in an electric vehicle?

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

My engine has not been rebuilt, that photo is of a valve adjustment.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

My 32 year old 5.0L pushrod v8 gets 30mpg and has been rebuilt 0 times.

I am in favor of electric cars, don't get me wrong, but people like you just make conspiracy theorists feel right. Spreading obvious lies to try and make gas cars look bad just undermines any actual point you had about the legitimate benefits of electric cars.

It's not "us vs them", it's "teach people about electric cars and they will make their own decision".

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Us vs them is the very nature of DA. morons will never understand how to truly convince someone without ragebaiting them

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Just because stupid people are stupid doesn't mean I'm happy about it

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Rebuilding an engine doesn't even have to involve it being completely redone. If parts are kept in working order with normal maintenance scheduling, you can definitely keep using mechanical parts that were fresh from the factory. Not to mention, you're keeping the engine itself, what's inside of it is being replaced or fixed. With an EV, you're replacing the entire battery and that is ludicrously more expensive than any engine rebuild could hope to be unless you're trying to make it a performance-oriented engine where everything is custom

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Hell no. Batteries are easily 2-3x more expensive than crate engines.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

People have tested this look up some youtube videos.

Fricks sake man you have the internet, use it.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

yeah but now everyone knows youre driving a 24 year old shitbox

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Yes, and? It makes me happy, which is what matters. I don't give a shit what "keeping up with the Joneses" morons think.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Oh you dont care what people think
          hehe never heard that cope before

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>noooooo you can't just be happy with less you must CONSOOOOOOOOM expensive things to be happy!
            Frick off shlomo

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

not caring what other people think is exactly why we dont want you here jose

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>I drive cars normies wouldn't care about therefore I am a poo in loo
            what a weird non sequitur, take your meds anon

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Every village needs their idiot I suppose

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

see

https://i.imgur.com/PHkLEbq.jpg

>noooooo you can't just be happy with less you must CONSOOOOOOOOM expensive things to be happy!
            Frick off shlomo

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

It's not important how old your car is, it's important that it's a shit heap that nobody appreciates.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

how relieving must it be knowing nobody wants to steal your car

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

It actually Is a thing where below a certain value, a car is more likely to be stolen, because thieves believe the owner won't attempt to stop them, have the resources to find them, and Will be easy to dump after they've done crimes in it

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>tranine
            >feminine personality traits like feeling pressure to look a certain way to strangers who couldn't give a frick
            Did you take puberty blockers?

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>Goes on DA
            >Gets mad at anime
            A tale as old as time

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

NTA but
            auto board

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Samegayging doesn't make you right

If anime pisses you off don't use a website explicitly modeled after a Japanese forum

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Tranime is for gays and obese manchildren. We're here for free unmoderated discussion not to pound off to cartoons.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>Go to anime based website
            >Talk about something not anime
            >Get obsessively angry when anime mentioned
            Remind me, who is the website's mascot again?

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>I DRIVE A 30 YEAR OLD SHITBOX AND YOU SHOULD TOO!
          if you dont want to be called a moron dont go off yapping your ghetto Hispanic shit

6. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

That seems an almost acceptable amount of loss so long as its linear. 1.5% loss per year? 15% after a decade?

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Going by older Teslas, it's more like a 10% drop after 10 years, the first year always has a bigger drop
      The only mainstream EV that had serious degredation issues was the Nissan Leaf which used aircooled batteries

7. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

lmao sure, tell it to my neighbour with 20% degradation after 1.5 years.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

The only car that has this bad degradation is the nissan leaf and only because of moronic design choices like not water cooling the battery.

8. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

But it's not a linear rate of 1% drop per 15k miles.
    Lithium batteries still have massive failure rates after about 400 charges.
    >45,000 miles ÷ 300 average miles per charge = 150 charges.
    So I'd expect about another 75k miles or so before serious capacity issues with that battery- at which point that 3% turns into 60% almost overnight.
    At 120k miles that's not even industry standard for life expectancy of an automobile before major repairs.

I personally have hope for EVs.
    I don't think they should be mandated but for a very large percentage of the population they make sense.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Yep. It's not linear, but logarithmic. So the drop will only slow down.

9. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>22,000 miles
    >per year
    Where tf are y'all going? Get somewhere and sit down.

10. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

My electric toothbrush has gone from monthly charges to about 5-7 days.
    I don't even have a battery in my laptop anymore as it depleted overnight and won't start even on charge.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Lithium loses capacity the more it's recycled, battteries are only going to get worse and worse over time, while they get heavier and larger to provide the same capacity

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

then why are they getting better and better over time? little zoom zoom doesnt remember having to top off batteries constantly

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>better and better over time
          First LiPo batts had a safe charge rating of 4.1volts, as the processes to make them improved (better purification) and slight chemistry changes were put to use, the max voltage has gone up to 4.35v.
          The .25v difference gives ~22% more capacity.
          >top off batteries constantly
          What exactly has changed, people panic buy battery banks because they cant handle keeping their phones charged.
          You're moronic.

>Lithium loses capacity the more it's recycled,
          Not at all. There is no difference between lithium in a first-gen cell and a second-gen cell.
          Also, it isn't like lithium is the only thing you can use for batteries. Sodium and Aluminium cells are starting to turn up for EV use.

>while they get heavier and larger to provide the same capacity
          I think that is more the fact LFP is the current choice for battery makers. Not as dense, but cheaper materials and longer lasting.

Impossible to completely purify used lithium. Used lithium can not work as well as new lithium.
          You're moronded too.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>BATTERIES WILL BE WORSE IN 10 YEARS!
            no they wont zoom zoom

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

I didn't say that, not even the same anon.

Again, and I mean this,
            You're moronic.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

have you tried not being a Black person homosexual?

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>Impossible to completely purify used lithium
            Sorry, whatever 'pollution' your imagining might be introduced, the evidence just doesn't back that up. It is not hard at all to find papers describing lithium recycling where the lithium can be used for even higher density batteries.
            It just isn't happening right now because the lower density LFP cells are becoming the preference for car makers due to the fact they are more robust.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>Lithium loses capacity the more it's recycled,
        Not at all. There is no difference between lithium in a first-gen cell and a second-gen cell.
        Also, it isn't like lithium is the only thing you can use for batteries. Sodium and Aluminium cells are starting to turn up for EV use.

>while they get heavier and larger to provide the same capacity
        I think that is more the fact LFP is the current choice for battery makers. Not as dense, but cheaper materials and longer lasting.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Nascent lithium is a requirement for the best batteries

11. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

no one cares

12. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>trusting Tesla battery stats
    they just had a class action settlement over making up range statistics, what makes you trust their condition monitor?

13. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

That's really good. I remember when I got mine they were estimating 5% in the first year, and then tapering to 1% annually. Instead I'm about at 5% after 5 years.
    At this rate, I'll just keep the car and swap the battery with some far-future battery tech when it becomes a classic.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>ev
      >keep
      i don’t think you understand

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

EVs are more reliable and longer lasting than Rube Goldberg machines.

14. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

lol on par with a 10 year old ICE car

Wait, neverminded, the ICE car has superior fuel range

15. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Battery degradation is not linear. It speeds up massively over time.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Also, they degrade and decay over time, even without use.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

That's exponential. Battery degregation is logarithmic.

16. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

lol? 3% loss in 2 years and 45k miles who gives a shit

if it was like 20% then that's an issue but that's warranty

17. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Hours long charging time will forever be a detriment to the EV market. I'm more interested in hydrogen as a source of fuel. There's already hydrogen combustion engines with high efficiency (relatively speaking). All we need is to find a way to store hydrogen cheaply and safely.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

The vast majority of places doesn't have the water or the clean electricity to produce hydrogen. Hydrogen can't be realistically shipped or piped around. So if you don't have those things you better not be shilling memedrogen.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>hours long
      >i'm still listing figures from years ago
      >ignores you can do 0-80% in <1h now on lots of cars
      >ignores you could do a 10min charge to top up what you done in the week
      >ignores you can charge at home

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Have you seen the lineups that form at gas stations with sub 3 minute refuel times? What's going to happen when that time is tripled?

>ignores you can charge at home
        Shut the frick up. The vast majority of people can't even use a fricking block heater. EV's are going to have to be practical for everybody not just yuppies with multi car garages. Also way to assume your dumb fricking wife will remember to charge the car when she can't even keep her phone or vibrator charged.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>The vast majority of people can't even use a fricking block heater.

lmao and there it is...you're a 3rd worlder lmao

muh power outages!

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

It's illegal to have an extension cord on or over the sidewalk in every first world city, moron.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>parking car on the road
            >i'm not a 3rd worlder!!!!

it's called a garage bozo lmao

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Did I say I was a street parker? Learn to read, ESL.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>park on street
            >cord would go over side walk
            >claims it's illegal in every city, county, province in the WORLD
            >uhhh i didn't say i park on the street! the cord just magically goes across the sidewalk for some reason

lmaooooooooooooo bruh quit acting like you're ever gonna get an EV, your country probably still burning trash

18. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>Should last several times longer than the average car.

19. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>car engine gets dynoed 10 years later
    >less power than advertised
    >no complaints!

20. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

weird, my 24yr old crap box with 300,000 miles gets the SAME MPG as it did new.
    range loss over 24yrs=0

.t make over six figures and drives a car valued at $267 by my insurance.

21. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Explain to me how Electric cars aren't the single most reddit cars in existence

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Only lost redditors describe something as reddit

22. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

you are giving up a lot of freedom for almost nothing in return

23. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>drive nearly 25k miles a year
    >wonder why your car is getting worn down

24. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

My boss' 2018 tesla model 3 is currently bricked in the parking lot at work because the 12v accessory battery that's under the rear seat is dead. He can't open the doors of the car or the trunk. Tesla is saying it has to be a tesla battery and they are offering to tow it a 3hr drive to another city and replace it at a cost of $1800.

In winter their short trips reduce the estimated range by 100+ km.

Their 2018 Tesla is dying, and I have a used 2010 Honda Accord I bought in 2017 that I've beat the shit out of doing delivery for 7yrs, it has over 300k km. It's going to outlast their tesla.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

There's an access panel in the front bumper that lets you open the frunk, and from there you can jump the 12v and get inside to replace the lead acid with whatever off the shelf shit you want
      Why lie on the internet?

25. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

this just make hybrids looks better frick pure EVs I am not gonna be obsessed constantly thinking about charging my car

26. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Fake and gay

27. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>bro my 2 year old car doesn't have issues
    Tesla covers will do anything to justify their shit, like homie a gas car will usually never need anything in the 5 year warranty period, maybe not anything major in 10 years regardless of mileage.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>covers
      Copers

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *