460le hottake

is a perfectly fine transmission and better than the current ten speed. parts easy and cheap to find.

Mike Stoklasa's Worst Fan Shirt $21.68

A Conspiracy Theorist Is Talking Shirt $21.68

Mike Stoklasa's Worst Fan Shirt $21.68

1. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

4l60e*

2. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

The coldest of takes.

3. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

is water wet? Is ice cold? Can you share more of this forbidden knowledge?

4. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Really needs a lower 1st gear. A 6 speed with
    5:1
    3:1
    2:1
    1.4:1
    1:1
    0.7:1
    would be perfect

5. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Another 80k miles, another torque converter or full transmission!

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

you probably switch lanes a lot like some frantic bug, your experiences couldnt possibly represent the wear and tear caused by a white owner. not even trying to be a dick but god damn its crazy you only expect 80k out of a troony.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

He's a fricking moron. I've taken this transmission to 300k in my 99 suburban

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

rebuilt mine at ~250k miles, and admittedly it wasnt even the troonys fault. the trans cooler broke in the radiator and coolant mixed into the ATF and delaminated all of the clutches.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

4l60e is trash even by slushbox standards. I've personally helped a former roommate swap four of them into the same truck, after the fourth time he sold it. That wasn't a one off, I also helped put a 4l60e in an ex girlfriend's dad's truck, had a buddy from highschool put two into his truck, and had a boss that finally hunted a van because it wasn't with putting a new troony into. Some people have okay luck with them but personally I'd recommend avoiding. Then again the only time I buy anything without a clutch it's to flip or for my wife to drive.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

lmao fricking ricer

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

bot

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

My old man's 4l60e made it to 265k miles without ever seeing a fluid change or anything and it hauled 1500lbs+ of shit 80 miles one way a week for a year straight ontop of regular hauls and abusive daily driving. They're honestly fine when you aren't a moron.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

this. my current truck has 280k on the odo and its on the OG 4l60e. I really wanna know what y'all are doing to these things to kill them. that said, mine IS starting to show signs of wear, but still, it's got 280k on it and the last owner WAS a dumbass with the truck. pic related was before I got flares and regular sized wheels + tires for it.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>well my daddy's truck
            Nice anecdotal evidence

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Well the 4l60e in his burb is still going fine, the collective 4 owned by the aunt/uncle all have 200-300k miles, several guys at my work drive rigs with various swapped and stock 4l60e and only a few have been gone through due to being, unknown junkyard buys. Yes they don't like abuse and moronic owners, but they're just fine and great when built if you can't budget/find/fit the 4l80e.

>I have a 700r4 behind a 700ft/lb making big block

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

My dad's '98 Suburban was on its 3rd 4L60 when he sold it with under 200k miles. I was there when he bought it new. He's a pilot (not an idiot) and drives as average as it gets.
        I grew up driving in the 00s and knew plenty of people with GMTs with low-mile transmission or torque converter replacements.
        I like GMT400/800s, but these transmissions are actually some of the worst.

6. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

People will cook the jesus out of their stock 4l60, leave the burnt fluid in the transmission, then wonder why their transmission goes out 5k later. It's mindboggling how people don't understand neglect/abuse=failure

7. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I'm a 700r4 man myself. Really only issues they have is the older design is a bit more fragile, but all the problems were basically solved by the time the 4L60E came out. It's an excellent swap for older vehicles.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

How hard/expensive are these for a shop to bulletproof? I'm considering a GMT800 in the future and want a half ton but the 4L60E makes me want a 3/4 ton to avoid it.

I put the 400r4 in my blazer S10 through some pretty horrific abuse. Constant 4hi pavement launches, constant burnouts, constant off roading, cruising at 100mph in OD, etc. It outlasted the truck but I wouldn't trust one in anything heavier or anything that makes more power than a 4.3.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

When it comes to trucks used as trucks getting the heaviest spec is always better. 4L60Es are easy to build but a 4L80E is stronger in the first place. Do some reading to see how heavy you want to spend. I chose Sonnax pistons, 'Vette servo and bigger clutch pack when I had mine redone. You can do it yourself but I just had a shoulder replaced so I pussied out.

Best choice below 3500 is a 2500HD for the frame. I'm hunting one to spring and fit with DRW as a 3500 without paying 3500 money. I've done similar with both Chevys and Fords.

8. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

4l60 and 47re are hall of fame for under built pieces of shit that went into otherwise fantastic trucks.

Even in the lighter muscle cars (but do have a nice day if you bought a a 4 speed auto camero/fbird) they are explosive, lazy, slow shifting, unreliable trash

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>I can't do basic maintenance
      This is not the flex you think it is.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>Can't do basic maintenance
        When these fail more and earlier than other slushboxes, and most owners of other transmissions literally never service them, that's a sign it's a bad transmission.
        Also what basic maintenance? Changing the fluid? Wow, that really solves the design flaws.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

I have a combined 670k miles across a few different 4L60Es, it's as simple as
          -don't drive like a tard
          -don't cook the fluid
          -if you do cook the fluid, change it

The one failure I had was when I drove like a tard, which cooked the fluid, and I didn't change it. Simple as not doing that.

>w-well tards like me don't service their transmissions!
          Why is your moronation my problem?

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Good for you, I drive a 150k Subaru with the glass 5-speed and the exact engine that gets headgasket failures. Mine still drives fine and I like it, but I'm aware both the engine and gearbox are shit with massive design flaws.
            4L60Es are legendary for failures because they cheaped out and put them in heavy vehicles with high tow ratings, I'm glad yours have been fine, but they're shit transmissions. You can't just expect every owner of a cheap consumer truck to even think about their transmission ever nonetheless monitor temperatures.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>"I don't break my subaru because I'm not moronic"
            So what's the problem?

>You can't expect people to do the bare minimum of basic maintenance
            I can and I do expect adults to be adults. The fact that you DON'T expect grown-ass men to do basic maintenance on a truck is a little strange, and the fact that you're upset at me for expecting adults to act like adults is absurd.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

How often do you clean your CPU heatsink and fans? Do you datalog your CPU/GPU temps? Or idk has your septic system been cleaned recently?
            We're car guys, so we think about this stuff.
            If one transmission fails more-often or needs more maintenance then it's a less-reliable transmission compared to others. That's all I'm trying to say and it seems like a simple concept.
            I'm not saying they're absolute garbage or people shouldn't use them, but they aren't reliable or geared in an exciting way so I have to assume you're fanboying for reasons I don't see.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I clean my CPU heatsink whenever there's a dust buildup that causes high temps. I check my CPU/GPU temps once in a while, whenever it crosses my mind, to make sure they're not overly high. I don't clog my septic system like a tard, because I'm not a tard.

Doing the bare minimum is just that, the bare minimum. What did you think I was gonna say, "I don't do the bare minimum"?

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I actually figured you'd do all that shit too. I even datalog my car as atmospheric conditions change lol. But I don't expect most people to be like this.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>I don't expect adults to act like adults.
            And that is the problem. Not like it's specific to you, but it is a problem.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>And that is the problem.
            2deep4me. I expect nothing out of life other than a failing body and death. I stopped expecting anything other than disappointment from other people or corporations long ago. There's some comfort in expecting nothing but disappointment. [swigs evan williams]

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>4L60Es are legendary for failures because they cheaped out and put them in heavy vehicles with high tow ratings

why is this the transmission's fault? when used within it's capacity it works fine.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>im a moron that’s completely unaware that even while maintained properly a shit transmission is still a shit transmission and its failure rate speaks more than anything else

Stop coping and just admit you couldn’t spend the 4,000$ extra to get a manual silverado/fbody

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Nice adult temper tantrum. Spoken like a true moron who can't do basic maintenance.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Maintenance doesn't save the hellspawn of 700R4. Upgrades do. The shitty internals are their downfall rather than the design. Plastic pistons and small clutch packs were a stupid idea.

Rebuilt they're fine and they're all old enough to need it.

9. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Frick the 4L60-E

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Why is it so tiny?

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Came out of a 4x4

10. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

The 4l80e and 6l80e are both infinitely better transmissions. A 4l80e is a brute 4 speed that can take pretty much anything, and the 6l80e is the first ground up designed electronically managed auto from gm with great gear ratios and is similarly built to take a lot like a 4l80e. The 4l60e was derived from the older weaker hydramatics vs the 4l80e was derived from the powerhouse that is the th400. Nothin beats the good ol th400

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>A heavy-duty transmission is better at heavy duty than a light-duty transmission.
      >A newly designed heavy duty transmission is better at heavy duty than an older light-duty transmission.

I am so surprised by this information.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

The 4l60e is just junk for a truck. A 'light' duty trans doesn't belong in a full size any more than a 4.3 v6 does. Anything with 8 cylinders should be backed by something rated for more regardless. The gap in performance someone expects in a full size vs a mid size is bigger than a cuv to a light truck. I don't understand why the clowns at gm were so lazy when they could've just offered a better transmission from the start. Its like they saved the trans for longitudinal cars but never ended up making them and just put em in bottom of the barrel silverados instead and made a meme out of themself in the process

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

6L80Es still break a lot. Why aren't Ford transmissions nearly as bad? 4R100 came in every 5.4 and theyre pretty good.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Easy when they're behind a V8 making 100hp because half it's spark plugs are missing.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Instead of a shit transmission ford decided to make the worst V8 of the era.

Ironically they also made the most reliable but pathetic V8s of the era.

11. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

FYI to anyone who enjoyed watching that boomer 4l60e transmission rebuilder on YouTube: his son tried to steal his YouTube channel, they have parted ways and the dad and mom created a new channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/@richardteresacricheducatio3542/videos

12. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous
  13. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I got in an airport taxi and the driver mentioned he used to be a GM engineer. :story checks out:

14. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

All you Black folk complaining about the 4L60e have never had the dreaded experience of the old 3T40/3L40. GM has come a long way.

15. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

mine is at 188k on the original transmission. i just keep it in 3rd all the time though and never put in into D so it can't go in and out of overdrive.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *