4runner mod

Hey DA, I have around $1500 to mod my 4th gen 4runner with, I have 0 mechanical experience so part of that might go towards labor costs, what should I do? I don't do a ton of offroading (Nothing where I'm worried about needing a lift) but I want to still be capable offroad, any input?

Ape Out Shirt $21.68

Black Rifle Cuck Company, Conservative Humor Shirt $21.68

Ape Out Shirt $21.68

1. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

4th gen are so unappreciated

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Yeah it's been a good car so far, I have had it for about 2 years now and I've put about 30k on it, odo is 196,000 and haven't had a single mechanical issue yet

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Cause they're ugly as frick, especially compared to 3rd gens. Even then IFS is top tier gay and they don't handle SAS very well
      Aren't they CAN BUS too?

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

I appreciate having the IFS, it’s gotten me through shitty Texas roads way more comfortably than my old jeeps while giving me 19-22mpg highway. Never had a bad time off road, handled Colorado trails fine and hidden falls adventure park even better. SAS is great but I really don’t think of it as an offroad requirement, you can do plenty and then some with these 4Runners while still stock.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

If you can get through a trail on IFS with a measly 6-9in of suspension travel, you weren't really wheeling. Simple as

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Yeah those vehicles in the pic are miserable to drive on road, they’re cool but obviously not what OP is even trying to build. Thanks for contributing to the discussion

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

IFS = bad is a moldy boomer meme. These dorks are parroting their crawler buddies that have no idea what an Ultra 4 car is.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Long travel multi-link =/= double wishbone

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

not him but most of them are double wishbone
            but yeah it's kinda moronic to compare ultra long travel paired with custom portals that costs $100k altogether against stock a-arms

2. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

ECU Tune
    Intake
    Brakes
    Suspension

Always in that order

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>ECU Tune
      >Intake
      >Brakes
      >Suspension
      you forgot to put tires at the bottom. now reverse the list, and you've got it

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Always start from the ground up
      See if the gx460 front brakes fit.
      33s fit easily probably
      Remove running boards and front sway bar
      Skids

Cant tune 4th gen ecus

3. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

leave it stock

4. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Literally just tires, maintenance, and learning how to drive the thing. Buy a big recovery strap if you don't have one. Tires are the single most important performance improvement, because the entire rest of your vehicle interacts with the terrain through them.

5. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Buy equipment first. Do you already have a good manual puller to use for winchouts? Recovery rope? Kinetic rope? Traction boards? Hi-Lift jack? Basic tools?

6. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Tires/wheels if you can get a combo package. I just bought these TRD wheels with brand new tires off of craigslist for $600 but I’ll be grabbing some methods and maybe KO2s as a second set before I install my lift. I have the V8 model, I put headers and a y pipe on it and it runs like a torquey dream now

7. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Sound system

8. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

keep it stock and save the money. dont replace anything unless its broken. change the oil air filter spark plugs and brakes, coolant, brake fluid. put gas in it. windshield wipers. maybe a new battery

9. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Slam it as low as you can without bags and put a gigantic spoiler on the roof.

10. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Sell it and buy a crossover because you’re an obvious homosexual with no need to be on this board

11. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>4runners
    >handling more than a pothole
    nah

• 2 months ago
      [PLEBSPOTTERS] BigC

this
      I've personally seen like 5 different 3rdgen 4runners with broken ball joints
      my friend went to the hospital because his 4runner rolled on the highway from a broken ball joint and he rolled into the ditch and almost died
      solid axle is strong, solid axle flexes, solid axle is life, ifs is death

12. 2 months ago
    [PLEBSPOTTERS] BigC

you have enough money to get decent tires that are geared towards your end goal, that's about it

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *