86 Heritage

Am I right in thinking it went like this:
Celica -> AE86 -> Celica -> tC -> fr-S -> BRZ -> GR86

If so, what car came BEFORE the AE86?
I'm thinking all the manual rear drive wind up 4 bangers are the 86 club.

Mike Stoklasa's Worst Fan Shirt $21.68

POSIWID: The Purpose Of A System Is What It Does Shirt $21.68

Mike Stoklasa's Worst Fan Shirt $21.68

1. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

TE72/KE70 Corolla.

Also replace the Altezza/IS300 with the Celica.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

The Altezza was 4 doors I thought.

https://i.imgur.com/woxo3Z7.jpg

>what car came BEFORE the sporty Corolla of a particular generation?
      I don't know, probably the sporty Corolla from the previous generation

Oh it's a Corolla not a Celica? Why? How is the Celica line different?

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Altezza was a FR with direct heritage to the AE86 through this guy.

Celica and tC don't really have too much in common with the 86 cars due to being FWD.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobuaki_Katayama

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Celica was based on the Carina (a sportier alternative to the staid and bland Corona), which was a size class above the Corolla. Starting in 1986, the Celica moved to being based on the Camry, where it remained as Toyota's equivalent to the (Accord-based) Prelude until 1999 when it moved to a modified version of the Corolla platform to serve as replacement for the Trueno/Levin twins which went out of production for the 2000 model year. The Trueno and Levin were the 'sporty' Corollas from 1972 until 2000.

Altezza was a FR with direct heritage to the AE86 through this guy.

Celica and tC don't really have too much in common with the 86 cars due to being FWD.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobuaki_Katayama

Altezza was a successor to the Chaser, on which it was based and shared some components with. The GT86 has more in common with the Celica heritage than it does with the AE86, and really ought to have been called 'Celica'.

2. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>what car came BEFORE the sporty Corolla of a particular generation?
    I don't know, probably the sporty Corolla from the previous generation

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Absoluteo sexo

3. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Frick the Subaru shit.

The Toyota Matrix might as well be the true successor to the AE86, followed by the GR Corolla.

I will never understand how Toyota thought it was a good idea to let a rebadged Subaru with engines that grenades more (also used to burn more oil) than the 2zz to carry THAT kind of legacy.

In another timeline, the Matrix ended up being an AWD powerhouse/grocery getter that far more suited the AE86's original vision.

Grocery Getter at Day, Race machine at night.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Half the car is a Subaru meaning the suspension/brakes/hubs is lifted directly from a Impreza and it's because anything that isn't a crossover is unprofitable in comparison. They print money with Rav4s and 4Runners.

And yes the 2ZZ is meme junk, unironically the FA20 is better just not cool because Subaru.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>And yes the 2ZZ is meme junk

So are the boxers, and the oil-related issues of the 2zz can be easily remediated. Toyota and Yahama easily could've done that as well but alas, the boring era arrived.

The point is that Toyota decided to cuck themselves of their own potential and decided to make a Subaru the AE86 successor. morons.

Though I cant fully blame them, history and economics worked against them. By the time they were ready to make the Matrix into a supercharged AWD hatch for 2009, the recession hit so they had to back out of that. I hate this timeline.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

I wouldn't call the 2zz complete meme junk like the boxers. 2zz's can hold good power with boost and they sound very good. They just have glass oil pumps

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

This, and the oil pan can be better. Fortunately, adequate aftermarket support for both of these things so it’s an easy fix.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Half the car is a Subaru meaning the suspension/brakes/hubs is lifted directly from a Impreza and it's because anything that isn't a crossover is unprofitable in comparison. They print money with Rav4s and 4Runners.

And yes the 2ZZ is meme junk, unironically the FA20 is better just not cool because Subaru.

All ugly, slow, and gay. Who cares.

>And yes the 2ZZ is meme junk

So are the boxers, and the oil-related issues of the 2zz can be easily remediated. Toyota and Yahama easily could've done that as well but alas, the boring era arrived.

The point is that Toyota decided to cuck themselves of their own potential and decided to make a Subaru the AE86 successor. morons.

Though I cant fully blame them, history and economics worked against them. By the time they were ready to make the Matrix into a supercharged AWD hatch for 2009, the recession hit so they had to back out of that. I hate this timeline.

Using muh heritage as a distraction for the car being a slow poverty mobile

Thanks guys.
      I was already considering buying one, then seeing this much seethe on DA basically solidified the decision for me.
      Looks like I'll be headed to the Toyota dealer this week!

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

I mean it’s your choice, anon. The GR86 is a fine car but I’m still disappointed that the Matrix and VVTL-I tech got neglected.

I will own this seethe. I wish of another world.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Ugly
        Gay
        Slow
        Slow2

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

Just like you!

4. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

All ugly, slow, and gay. Who cares.

5. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Someone convince me not to buy a TE72 off marketplace for 11k AUD

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Just do it anon, live your dream.

6. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Using muh heritage as a distraction for the car being a slow poverty mobile

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

It's fun. Bread on hood, btw.

7. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I always thought the heritage thing was a bit of stretch.
    The toyobaru is a purpose built sports car while the cars of yore were souped up economy cars. Both great in their own way, but hard to compare them.

8. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Other corollas came before the ae86

9. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

I picked up 2024 GR86 and love it but still want a second car to go with it. Thinking of snagging an is300 or one of those new Crown Signias as a second car

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *