99 Avalon

I love this car so much bros. I've never driven anything with this much soul before. Anyone have any stories about these?

Unattended Children Pitbull Club Shirt $21.68

Tip Your Landlord Shirt $21.68

Unattended Children Pitbull Club Shirt $21.68

1. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

To each their own, an avalon ain't a bad choice to fall in love with.

I've only seen one once before, what's her story?

2. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Why would you get this over a lexus? Genuinely curious.
    Gauge cluster looks sovlful though, got any night pics?

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

ehhhh i dunno about soul, it's not generic crossover #123 but i don't feel it'd be as interesting as say a ucf10 ls400 but the general consensus i've seen with avalons is that they are very very comfy living rooms of barges that are also very reliable.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Really comfortable barges, they put the American equivalents like the Buicks or Crown Vics to shame. The interiors in the early 2000s car were great, had a Prelude style wrap around dash.

3. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

My g'pa had a 1st year model, i wanna say '95? Actually wasn't a bad car, did have a sliver of soul for what it was, an American-ish barge done up proper for its era.

Only story i have is that i was in line to inherit it but bowed out to my much younger cousin who needed it more than i. She parked it on the streets of New Orleans at night and someone stole the radiator out of it.

4. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Had the v6 as a freebie loaner for 2wks loved that old banger

5. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

These were purchased by the elderly and they've all passed on now, their stories lost with them.

6. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>bigger camry
    >so much soul
    lol

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

fwd shitbox to boot

7. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Had a 2003. It had 0% financing because at the time nobody wanted one. It was quiet and comfortable, but underpowered, and mine had electrical gremlins that Toyota would never own up to. Pretty much it was a grandma-mobile, so if you want one used, it was very unlikely to have been hooned.

8. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY 99 AVALON, OP.
    >be me, 4 years ago
    >fresh out of trade school, working at a dealer
    >need a shitbox to get to and from work
    >buy a dirt-cheap 99 avalon off of a wendys employee who's grandma died and left the car
    >do NOTHING to it besides motor mounts, axle boots, and regular oil changes
    >still running today
    >random EGR flow codes. deleted EGR, runs fine. Unplugged EGR VSV, check engine light doesn't even bother turning on most of the time
    >thermostat stuck open, hasn't seen operating temperature in 2 years
    >brake warning light comes on when it's cold or when making left turns. fluid level is fine.
    >both rear door handles are broken, windows don't roll down either
    >cassette player spits out cassettes when it's cold, CD player spits out CDs when it's hot
    >paint peeling off of every panel
    >AC blower randomly changes speed
    >move to another state
    >get hit by tornadoes/heavy rain
    >car gets flooded 1/3 of the way up the doors
    >take the moldy interior out. all the connectors are soaked
    >RUNS ANYWAYS
    >tree collapses due to storms, hits the cars parked to the left and right of the Avalon, but misses it entirely
    >has NEVER left me stranded

This car is the best daily driver I've ever had. It refuses to die, and I'm both impressed and scared.

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

>tree collapses due to storms, hits the cars parked to the left and right of the Avalon, but misses it entirely
      this car is blessed and you should look after it as much as you can

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

>hasn't seen operating temperature in 2 years
      fix your shit moron, your special little shitbox wont live to see 2030 without it

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

how many miles lol

• 1 week ago
        Anonymous

96k currently, not in the best shape for the mileage but it works. It was supposed to be a "temporary a-to-b" machine but it ended up lasting way longer than I expected.

9. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

>automatic
    >soul
    bro?

10. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

Interior looks like a soulful high quality one. I love the beige and the green buttons.

Original radio with cassette player is rad as frick. You have a good car OP enjoy it

11. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

i like toyota but they always felt lacking in the SOVL department

12. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

I picked up an '05 with 90k miles in '. Saw it online looking nice, went and had a look at it on some muz-lot. Battery was dead, totally flat. ..No big deal.. He grabs a jump box, attaches it. Asks if I'd start it up. I had my gf with me at the time, I declined and said she would, I had popped the hood, and as she went to start it (cold start obv, car probably hadn't been started in days at least) I had my head about 2 ft from the valve cover on the timing chain side. She started the engine and despite probably no oil being circulated in awhile, cold start I heard no mechanical noise. I then went to the rear and had a quick listen & sniff of the exhaust and it smelled nice (for exhaust). Had a look underneath and as a northeasterner seeing no rust was excited.
    >pt 2 the negatives
    This car was already about 2k cheaper than most 120k - 150k cars, priced at 4,500 and there's a reason. I offer him 4k cash, which ofc he wants me to finance on his lot, no way! We go inside and he informs me it's a rebuilt title, but idc. We finish up and I take 'er home. Once there I discover the license plate lights are nonexistent, tail/brake lights do not work, horns are cracked along with the washer reservoir.
    it had been hit in the back, and the front at some point, though you couldn't tell unless you looked, easy to tell in the trunk as there was some 'corrected' metal, a good ding in the driver front subframe radiator support mount.
    Threw on license plate lights from a Buick Lacrosse I parted & scrapped, found and reconnected the tail light wires, put a piece of wood behind the license plate where it's mount should have been and screwed it on, epoxied plastic patches onto the horn, welded the cracked parts of the subframe mount (it wasn't too bad but I wanted to reinforce) & eventually purchased a new reservoir and installed it. VSC and TCS have never worked but I didn't want them anyhow, ABS does though which I do like.

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

Forgot to mention I changed the CV axles and a wheel bearing that I'm assuming was bad from being hit on the driver front.
      >Pt3 normal usage
      It now has 111k miles, and I have had few problems with it. A relay is/was sticking/acting up sometimes for the fuel pump (2x in 4,5?years) and the fix for that has been pulling it out and putting it back or tapping on it. I'll get 26-28 combined mpg if I drive like the Geri's intended to drive it. It's comfy, decent 9? speaker sound system. Conventional 5 speed transmission, 2GR-FE engine. Electric adjust and heated seats, sunroof, cd (works sometimes :/) /tape player. OBD 2, non-direct injected.
      I expect I could drive this car for 2x maybe 3x the mileage on this original drivetrain. I was inspired to buy this low-mileage Avalon by my friend who purchased a cheap beat 284k mile Avalon which started it's first year with him delivering pizza with it. I was impressed by how with 284k (now 296k) the engine was still smooth running & driving even smooth and unnoticeable at idle. He is having to replace his transmission here at 296k though. This tells me if I keep on top of things I should have 2/3rds of my cars life left!

Fun fact, whoever replaced the badges / maybe trunk or repainted the trunk didn't know what the 'XLS' badge was on the back and had placed it upside-down and it appears to say 'STX'. I have probably the only Avalon 'STX' haha.

13. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

>I've never driven anything with this much soul before
    I wish I could beat the frick out of you for being so cringe and stupid.

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

post your car gayboy

• 1 week ago
        Anonymous

>car
        >singular
        lol

• 1 week ago
          Anonymous

sorry, any cool pictures of the bus?

14. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

Behold my first 2000 Avalon. It was my first car and I got it for 2k with 80k miles on it (times were different 10 years ago). This car made me lots of money. I got rid of it for a ‘98 LS400 that was somehow even better. They’re great cars op, friends dad had a 99 like yours and even the first gens were fairly nice.

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

I have the exact same story bro, mines an 03 but I got it for 2k with 80k miles on it about a year ago. For what it is, I can't fault it, it's spacious, quick enough, reliable, etc. it's the ultimate beater car. It's got its fair share of dings and dents but that's part of the appeal, it's simply a car I don't have to worry about.

Thats kind of how I feel about these cars in general, they're nothing special, and honestly quite boring, but that's part of what makes them so great. For what they are, there is literally nothing wrong with them, not a single thing at all. If you need a car that does the bare minimum exceptionally well, buy a Toyota Avalon.

15. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

>no column shifter
    >no bench seat
    Gay and cringe, go and kys you're self

16. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

Good car, it's basically a Japanese Buick

17. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

Avalon seems super comfy. If I had a ton of money I'd buy a high trim one as a second fully comfy car.

18. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

A frend of mine still drives his grandpa's first gen, long commute from the foothills into Sac. It's over 400k miles and still just cruises along.
    He's scared of the day it fails because he wants to drive it forever.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *