ABS system tried to kill me

I was on the highway and my ABS system randomly kicked on, causing me to swerve to the right one lane and suddenly stop on the highway

Luckily nobody was behind me but I've completely lost trust in the cars brake assistance systems.

No fault codes, no error codes, all the sensors are sending and receiving good data.

I decided to remove the ABS unit relay, no more ABS, no more problems.

What do you think is the best course of action? Leave the system off or spend a thousand dollars replacing misc sensors only to hope some electrical short or future sensor suddenly doesn't go bad on the highway and end me?

It's a 2002 mercedes ML55, forums suggest this is a common issue even when the vehicle was new, especially if using non stock wheel dimensions, also other makes and models have similar stories with older abs systems.

Do I really need brake assistance? ABS? Electronic stability control? Seems like a load of crap, it always seems to get in the way even when it works right, never felt safe when it activated on its own, I feel much better with it all completely disabled.

am I making a dangerous mistake or is this the right move?

Terry Davis: They Glow, You Shine Shirt $21.68

A Conspiracy Theorist Is Talking Shirt $21.68

Terry Davis: They Glow, You Shine Shirt $21.68

1. 5 days ago
    Anonymous

Aint your blog buddy

2. 5 days ago
    Anonymous

sounds like a traction control frickup
    c4 corvettes have a similar thing related to their early TCS which caused high-speed automatic brake slamming
    my verdict, pull the fuse on old TCS systems

• 5 days ago
      Anonymous

Yup sounds like the BAS/ESP brake assistance system / electronic stability program was faulty

You get one packet of bad data, due to corrosion, dirt, short and the traction control systems kick in. Never liked nanny systems, unless you regularly drive on ice/snow, it does more harm than good IMO

• 4 days ago
      Anonymous

The ASR has no connection to the brakes. The antilock brakes won't just click the brakes on randomly.

3. 5 days ago
    Anonymous

cia assassination attempt

4. 5 days ago
    Anonymous

Imagine being so brain damaged you think it's a good idea to design an ABS system that can actually put pressure on the brakes on its own instead of just releasing them when it detects a locked wheel.

• 5 days ago
      Anonymous

reddit spacing, didn't happen. ABS doesnt increase brake pressure, only reduces it. ESC does this. Buy a normal person car instead of a german 'tism 'box with ESC.

germans, man

• 5 days ago
      Anonymous

reddit spacing, didn't happen. ABS doesnt increase brake pressure, only reduces it. ESC does this. Buy a normal person car instead of a german 'tism 'box with ESC.

germans, man

ABS has to add pressure, otherwise your pedal would go further and further down every time it cycles.

• 5 days ago
        Anonymous

>ABS has to add pressure
        add pressure to what? the master cylinder, not the brake calipers. It takes pressure FROM the calipers and puts it back in the master cylinder, pushing your foot back and releasing the brakes.

• 4 days ago
      Anonymous

How else would a car make you commit suicide while taking stroll?

5. 5 days ago
    Anonymous

nerve gas

6. 5 days ago
    Anonymous

Welcome to our world

t. truck driver

7. 5 days ago
    Anonymous

Why doesn't DA call out people for making up shit?

" ABS system randomly kicked on and almost caused me to crash"

Anti-lock braking doesn't randomly come on and apply the brakes to a car.

• 5 days ago
      Anonymous

Abs/bas/esp/ets/esc , it all basically runs off the ABS motor IE something that pulses your brakes for you is having problems.

8. 5 days ago
    Anonymous

F1 cars don't have any brake assistance systems on-board, infact it's illegal to have any traction control systems based on the current f1 race rules

• 5 days ago
      Anonymous

they're also driven by rich boys who have been kart racing and threshold braking for their entire life

• 5 days ago
        Anonymous

I am also a rich boy, and have been threshold braking for many years

• 4 days ago
          Anonymous

>braking on the threshold of homosexuality maybe

• 4 days ago
        Anonymous

Neat, who the frick cares?

• 5 days ago
      Anonymous

Ok, and? a real fancy, advanced and expensive ABS will outperform most if not all drivers.

• 4 days ago
        Anonymous

>real fancy, advanced and expensive
        Buzz off kid the adults are talking.

• 4 days ago
      Anonymous

As with many things F1, the reason for that is because the FIA wants to make the cars worse. They want to maximize the skill differences between the drivers and minimize the performance differences between the cars. ABS is the opposite of that, so it gets banned.

• 4 days ago
      Anonymous

f1 doesn't use ABS or TC because it would reduce overtakes.
      abs f1 cars would be faster, simple as.
      but you want lockups and passes.
      otherwise the race would be boring.

9. 4 days ago
    Anonymous

>I was on the highway and my ABS system randomly kicked on
    No it didn't.
    You don't even own a car.

10. 4 days ago
    Anonymous

>20+ year old luxury car with a bunch of absurd features to get rich people to buy it
    Should you just pull a couple of fuses and enjoy peak performance, or should you waste thousands of dollars trying to get it to work "properly" in current year

11. 4 days ago
    Anonymous

Sounds like Adas and not abs.

• 4 days ago
      Anonymous

Adidas?

• 4 days ago
        Anonymous

Baka

12. 4 days ago
    Anonymous

ur stupid ass probably put the wrong diameter tires on it and the ABS started freaking out as it though you were locking up tires.

• 4 days ago
      Anonymous

That's a moronic system. Imagine what it will do if you have a blowout and the left front wheel suddenly spins faster than the rest of them?

• 4 days ago
        Anonymous

I'm saying OP is moronic.
        not that the system is good.
        if you know the computer is dumb, no reason to do anything to upset it

• 4 days ago
      Anonymous

I had 4 identical wheels & tires, they are larger than stock yes, but that doesn't absolve the brake assist systems failure.

I pulled out the ABS relay, vehicle drove fine today, less worried about unexpected braking assistance now, but as a drawback I've also disabled my electronic stability control and traction control systems unfortunately.

I'd rather drive it as is then ever risk it braking on it own again on highway speeds

• 4 days ago
        Anonymous

>I've also disabled my electronic stability control and traction control systems unfortunately.

You moron, those are the systems that do random stupid shit. That's the reason you pulled the relay

• 4 days ago
          Anonymous

Sorry your right, I keep forgetting this one relay basically disables 4 different systems according to the owners manual, the ABS motor essentially is controllin the brake pulsing based off the other systems instructions

Abs
          Brake assistance
          Electronic stability
          Traction control

Kind of a relief but at the same time I'm a bit less confident about pushing this car around at speeds now...

• 4 days ago
            Anonymous

take it to abandoned parking lot and let er rip
            then next time it rains do the same
            alternatively, drive as you already have been doing

• 4 days ago
            Anonymous

If you knew how those systems work, you would feel better. Practice hooning on low traction surfaces so that you dont crash next time you're on the highway

13. 4 days ago
    Anonymous

>It's a 2002 mercedes ML55

Shoulda bought domestic

14. 4 days ago
    Anonymous

Report the incident to the NHTSA.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *