ADV are SUVs of motorcycles

Why are SUVs fine in bikes but shunned in cars? We should be shunning those huge overbuilt overspecced pieces of shit just as much.

Thalidomide Vintage Ad Shirt $22.14

Nothing Ever Happens Shirt $21.68

Thalidomide Vintage Ad Shirt $22.14

1. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Post bike

2. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

People generally don't like them though. Just overweight middle aged LARPers with flip up helmets and $XXXX worth of empty luggage accessories.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>People generally don't like them though.

Which people? They're comfortable and well suited to real (shitty) roads. If you aren't motocrossing they'll do fine off-road too. If I had a use case for one I'd add one to the fleet but generic bikes can handle most roads just fine and liquid cooling on anything used off-road is a downside.

3. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Yeah nah, they're not fine

They're widely mocked by serious touring guys and serious off-road guys

But that's most motorcycles or even most hobbies in general: a tiny minority of hardcore enthusiasts diluted by huge pools of newbies, casuals, and in the case of ADV bikes, vapid consoooomers buying the image

4. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I have a Multistrada, I like the riding position. It's like a big dirtbike.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I also have a Cayenne Turbo, so uhhh.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Your taste is consistent at least

5. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

everyone likes SUVs
    everyone hates crossovers

6. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Everybody knows those things are just toys for boomers who like to larp as Dakar racers. Absolutwly noone thinks they are cool.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

The Dakar/Long Way Round LARP vibes get the first glance, but it's the lack of chain maintenance that closes the sale for the commuter crowd.

7. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Everyone who rides one of these is either a committed cross-country rider that rides year round and does 10k mile trips on it, or is a larping boomer that's never touched dirt before but still runs 50/50 tires on it. There's no in between.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Kek my buddy bought a dual sport from some tech guy, dude sold it because turns out knobbies are shit on asphalt

8. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

We mock ADVdads relentlessly.

9. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

ADV gays are probably better than fair weather street Rossis in full racing leather on their R6s that never saw a track. At least ADV riders put a lot of miles on their dentist mobiles.

10. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

They are cool if you enjoy traveling with your gf. But most ADV riders should buy a sports touring instead

11. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

adv gay reporting in. I like this view in the morning.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

#adv

Most of the people that buy these are annoying but for those of us that actually use them they are cool

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous
  12. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

The ADV range is just slightly too wide a gamut. Its everything from 600lb comfy touring bikes to 400lb thumpers which are actually competent on some trails.

13. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

One thing I will say is that most SUVs are basically just cars with big bodies that are shaped like actual offroad vehicles. Most of them are made for going to the mall and wouldn't hold up to abuse. For me, the most contemptible thing any car can be is "fake." But the same isn't true for ADV bikes. I can't think of a bike that's "ADV looking" that isn't also actually up to the task of taking some punishment. They all will do exactly what they advertise. So in that sense I don't think you have any grounds to criticize the bikes themselves. You really intend to be shunning ADV riders who overbuy good bikes but don't utilize them to the fullest extent, because they have more money than skill.

Another thing I'll say is that I test rode a PanAm and it was frickin NICE. Suspension plush, huge power, the adjustable windscreen and tech were really cool. I love the high seat height too. It's basically what the cruiser should have always been: a heavy, comfy, torquey, smooth, couchlike ride. I honestly would get one of those just to plod along the highway if I wouldn't feel guilty about wasting its potential. And in some sense, I think that makes me the gay, not the people who are confident enough to just do that.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Isn't that just because most street bikes can handle a gravel road to begin with?
      It's actually sort of amusing looking at the progression of Dakar winning bikes where the early bikes were dedicated dual sports and then they realized bigger street bikes with tall suspension and big gas tanks worked better.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Well, I've seen an R6 go through moab, including up Hell's Gate, of course anything can handle anything. But difficulty and comfort are still big factors to determine what an appropriate vehicle for a task is. An ADV with long, soft suspension, long squishy seat which allows you to move forward and back for weight adjustment, footpeg and handlebar placement designed to allow you to easily stand on the bike, low gearing, etc, is a lot easier to ride on loose terrain than a street bike

14. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I love my big $40k dirt bike with knobbies. I rarely go off road here, since there is no offroad.

15. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Places to take ADV bikes and 4x4s are disappearing. So people should enjoy them while they have them. But really most people buy the image. Which is fine.

I feel like mid sized sport touring bikes have been getting more popular though, and ADV bikes are kind of plateauing. A lot of "ADV" bikes are more road focused lately. Or more of a dirt/gravel road bike. But with more mid sport touring bikes coming out that's probably because they're easier to live with for day to day use. Unless you live in the out back or some shit.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

People have realized 300kg bikes cannot off road and are buying lighter piss-twins instead like the tenere and f900

16. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

BMW's don't ackchually work. They are just a vanity project for people with disposable money. Nobody that knows anything about motorcycles owns a BMW.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>BMW's don't ackchually work. They are just a vanity project for people with disposable money.
      isn't the one you posted a post-chinesium BMW? meanwhile you can probably find multiple 20 year old GSes with rotax engines for sale on your local craigslist

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

moronic slowgay, BMW has been making good bikes since before you dropped your shitty beginner kawashitty 20 times

17. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

American roads are going to hell and a bike that has comfy long-travel suspension but can still keep up on the freeway and is fun enough in twisties is a pretty good proposition these days. It's also becoming harder and harder to have fun on paved roads, between traffic and cop crackdowns, so something that's decent on smooth gravel/dirt roads is pretty attractive too.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Why the frick do people act like even the most aggressive sport bike is remotely like a low stiff car? You still have tons of ground clearance and enough suspension travel for anything that can be described as a road.

18. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

this is the bike equivalent of nocars seething at trucks with empty beds

19. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Maybe if our taxes actually fixed road surfaces, we wouldn't need 21 inch spoked wheels

And if the government didn't insist on bringing in millions of brown people, we wouldn't have to escape to back trails for our leisure

20. 4 weeks ago
    Hotwing

Reminder: every bike is an ADV bike

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *