Advice for buying first car

I'm trying to find a used car between $1,000-$5,000. The closer I am to $1000, the better. So if I had a choice between a car that was $5000 and 50k miles, but another that was $1500 and 200k, miles I'd take the $1500 one. I've been looking for anything that Toyota, Honda, or Jeep. I'm not fixed on a make or model, or type. It could be any kind of car.

So far I've tried finding a car on Facebook marketplace, but I'm not sure if this is the best idea. Should I avoid black sellers? I've tried looking for elderly sellers but haven't really found one with
a good deal. Any places you'd suggest to look for a car? Or any tips that would help me?

UFOs Are A Psyop Shirt $21.68

DMT Has Friends For Me Shirt $21.68

UFOs Are A Psyop Shirt $21.68

1. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Do you absolutely need a new car? If not then don't buy and keep whatever you were given. Are you getting a car for the first time and don't have one currently? Then you are going to have to look at the 5k range now, and really research on the car you want. We are post cash for clunkers and post COVID, the entire sub-used market is basically full of pure scam artists. Don't get any nissan product with a CVT, and be careful around trucks in that price range. Look for Panther body

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Yeah I need a car and don't have one. What kind of scams are they doing?

There's already a near identical thread. I'd suggest you check out.

[...]

I will say this though. Unless you know someone personally and they're doing you a favor you aren't going to find anything except for shit under $3K. In today's market you're probably gonna need to spend around $4K to get something worth a damn so just prepare yourself for that. At $1000 you're only going to find project cars that need thousands of dollars in repairs.

I don't have high hopes for a $1000 car. I would be happy with something that runs well for $2000, and I'd pay $3000 without an issue. Anymore than $3000 I'm really reluctant to spend.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Your only chance is to lurk fb marketplace 24/7, the kinds of cars you are looking for usually get sold the same day they are posted

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

I guess I'll do that. I'm willing to spend months searching for a good deal.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

This anon's post is accurate. There are steals on FB; but you gotta jump on them.

Your only chance is to lurk fb marketplace 24/7, the kinds of cars you are looking for usually get sold the same day they are posted

What city do you live near? Prices vary across the country so $3K might be more or less doable where you live. I'd be willing to give a quick search for something decent and cheap if you tell me the area to look.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Within 100 miles of the Atlanta, Georgia area.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Atlanta. Well fortunately for you car prices tend to be cheaper around there. I'll give it a look.

2003 Blue Toyota Camry with nice paint and 160,000 miles for $3,800

gaybook

/marketplace/item/1674788999933428

2000 Honda Accord with a manual and 168,000 miles. $2,900

gaybook

/marketplace/item/790422586385663

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GT Sedan 4D, 158,000 miles. $2,800 with the Buick 3800 engine which is great.

https://www.autotrader.com

/cars-for-sale/vehicle/710007389

2006 Buick Lucerne also with the Buick 3800 engine 143,000 miles. $3,300.

https://www.autotrader.com

/cars-for-sale/vehicle/706062329

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Thanks. Autotrader is a good place too look for cars as well?

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Yeah, Autotrader and Carsforsale.com are both solid. Autotrader has private sellers and dealerships so you can find some nice deals with private sellers there sometimes. That Pontiac and the Buick I listed are both from private sellers.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Thanks once again. I don't know what I should be looking for when it comes to makes and models other than that Toyota and Hondo are pretty reliable. And reliability is the thing that matters most to me.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

The cars I listed are all reliable. American cars can be reliable if they've got a good engine and transmission in them. That Pontiac and the Buick I listed both have one of the best American engines ever made in them which is why I posted them. Their transmissions aren't great; but they're not a huge problem either. Everyone knows Toyotas and Hondas are reliable so you tend to have to pay more for them.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Pontiac and Buick cars that are V6 all have the 3800 Buick engine? I'll keep that engine in mind.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>Pontiac and Buick cars that are V6 all have the 3800 Buick engine?

Nope. Some of them have the 3.1L V6 or the 3.5L V6. You don't want either of those. Only the 3.8L V6. They used those up until around 2008; but not in every model.

That engine is why I recommended those cars. Its a reliable tank, easy to fix, and with decent MPG and decent horsepower.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

A few things to keep in mind. You want a clean title. An accident is okay if its not major; but anything with a salvage title has been in a major wreck and is probably best avoided. Make sure to check the underside for rust and watch some videos so you can learn the difference between surface rust (which you'll see on practically every car) and penetrating rust which is going to destroy the car. Get your mechanic to look at it after you buy it to see if you've got any problems to fix.

Good luck.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

2012 Ford Fusion 145,000 miles. $3800 OBO, so you could probably get it for $3500. Nice blue paint.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/d/atlanta-2012-ford-fusion-low-miles-3800/7744480539.html

2. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

There's already a near identical thread. I'd suggest you check out.

[...]

I will say this though. Unless you know someone personally and they're doing you a favor you aren't going to find anything except for shit under $3K. In today's market you're probably gonna need to spend around $4K to get something worth a damn so just prepare yourself for that. At $1000 you're only going to find project cars that need thousands of dollars in repairs.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

That's if he is lucky, if he is unlucky that 1k car will either be a crackmobile, a stolen title, or a buy here pay here down-payment scam. If you are absolutely looking for a 1k car then wait for economic collapse

3. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Specifically, look for a Pontiac Vibe. They are the same car as a Toyota Matrix from when Toyota and GM had a joint venture at a plant and made the same car with two different badges.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Also a good car. The earlier pre 2008 ones with the 1.8L engine are probably better for him than the later ones with the 2.4L which had a few mechanical hickups. He's also broke so he'll probably want an earlier one anyway.

4. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Another question. What mileage do I want to stay under for the odometer?

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

At your price range 200,000, preferably 150,000.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *