>all the cars I've ever owned were shitboxes

>all the cars I've ever owned were shitboxes
Is it worth buying a brand new car if you have enough money not get totally raped by financing? I do wonder what it feels to drive a car that isn't 10+ years old.

Tip Your Landlord Shirt $21.68

DMT Has Friends For Me Shirt $21.68

Tip Your Landlord Shirt $21.68

1. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

I did it, i'll break it down whats it like

>interior smells identical to a fresh brand new pair of trainers or shoes
    >everything is in perfect shape not a dent, dust or scratch (cause its new duhh)
    >even if its a cheap economy car, you dont really feel shame or poorness when you see it
    >no squeeks or rattles
    >car gets serviced for free under warranty at dealership with official parts and fluids while u chill out and dont lift a finger

cons
    >finding a small dent or scratch for the first time after you return from shopping will send you into a rage
    >unless you genuinely dont give a frick, its stressful taking extra care when parking
    >pushing the engine feels kinda bad when you get it because it needs to be worn in first before you go ham but I heard this is a myth as the engines are apparently already broken in at the factory

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

oh, forgot to add, after a few months of daily driving you start to take it for granted and stop caring completely and it feels like any other used car but in better condition then you just get bored and trade it back in or sell it.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

oh, forgot to add, after a few months of daily driving you start to take it for granted and stop caring completely and it feels like any other used car but in better condition then you just get bored and trade it back in or sell it.

so do you regret buying a new car and wish you kept to a shitbox or not?

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

I regret buying a new economy car (Honda Civic) in 2015, it was a good little car but I traded it in for a used 5 series BMW and that was leagues above despite having 80k on the clock.

But if you have an old shitbox that keeps dying or on its way out then yeah the newer car will serve you better.

2. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

just get a 90s toyota or honda and be happy it's cheap to repair.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

as someone who delivers food for a 'living' (lame, i know) i'm thinking about ditching my mk6 golf for a mid 00s corolla hatchback. i need something that doesn't cost a fortune to repair, is easy to work on and reliable as frick. buying a golf was the worst decision i've made in a while, not that it isn't fun to drive. pretty sure my clutch is about to go and i'm sure as hell not going to torture myself trying to replace it on my own with the patience required.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

as a fellow food delivery chud youre best with multiple vehicles. particularly cheap beaters eg a toyota like you said

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

yeah i'm thinking anything jap for reliability though. older models without known defects. i'd have more than one but insurance is a b***h in this country.

3. 1 month ago
    E

Why not just get a better used car?
    Seems like you'd get more bang for your buck there

4. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>driven everything from 800hp dually cummins to 450hp luxury saloons
    >my cozy 90s shitbox feels the best to drive despite being pathetically slow

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Same

5. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

I always drove random $500 shitboxes but I decided to buy a fancy new car (18 year old BMW).
    It was not a good decision financially but it is nice and overall I'm pleased.

6. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

I did it, i'll break it down whats it like
    >"Compact car" weighs an extra 900 pounds compared to shitbox
    >Slow, fat, sluggish to handle
    >uncomfortable CVT
    >Beeeep boop beep boop beep boop constantly
    >Touch screen climate controls
    >Have to navigate menu and turn off Auto start-stop for every single drive
    >Touch screen software lags and breaks after 3 months
    >Electric parking brake malfunctions after first rainy day.
    >After 6 months having problems with engine mount rattling.
    Going to end up wasting more time trying to do upkeep on this new crap than my 2003 shitbox. Deep regret and I'm selling it at a loss and just buying a pre-cvt accord.

7. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

no if you can wrench at all

8. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>I do wonder what it feels to drive a car that isn't 10+ years old.
    half of them feel like genuine Fisher-Price plastic interiors. most of them have steering wheels that make your average oil-freighter's ship wheel feel small, and with blind spots that make you feel like you're in a tank.

9. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

I used to own a "modern car", a 2007 E60 530d back in 2010 and a Chrysler 300C Touring diesel.
    The interior of the BMW was nice and the Chrysler was handy because it was, by European standards, a frick off huge yanktank station wagon that could fit the whole family and half the house in the trunk.
    Then I got rid of them around the mid 10s and have solely driven pre OBD, 1988 or older cars. Sure I sometimes miss the cars just working properly and being completely trouble free, but I don't miss having to frick about with expensive, moronic bullshit when it breaks.
    Basically I've embraced the sub 1 grand shitbox.

10. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

I'm a lurker and don't know shit about buying cars or wrenching. I got 21k in the bank with more on the way. I want something that'll last a long ass time (10 years minimum) and give me little to no problems.
    I felt pretty set on buying used but a friend has got me thinking I might as well go new and finance but pay it off over a year.
    Is this a moronic idea or is this fine for someone that knows frick all about cars? I'm thinking a Civic or Corolla cause they're cheap-ish. They still seem way too expensive for what they are but I honestly just wanna have something within the next few months. I've been agonizing over this for way too long now.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

If you plan on taking your car to the dealership for LITERALLY EVERYTHING then you can buy new without feeling too bad about it
      If not then used cars are absolutely the way to go
      Also financing at more than a percentage point or so above inflation is moronic so unless you get some great APR deals for financing a new car then just forget the whole thing

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *