anyone else enjoy driving a POS? >filling up is cheap. >insurance is only 60/month. >no car note

anyone else enjoy driving a POS?

>filling up is cheap
>insurance is only 60/month
>no car note
>hardly anything goes wrong since everything is manual
>gets you to the same place the 30k car does
>use as a commuter car, so with morning traffic I never go over 30mph anyway

if you're not a 'car guy' and no longer value the opinion of others, is there a reason to NOT drive a pos?

pic related; my shitbox that only costs me $60 a month for insurance.

Ape Out Shirt $21.68

Tip Your Landlord Shirt $21.68

Ape Out Shirt $21.68

1. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>if you're not a 'car guy' and no longer value the opinion of others, is there a reason to NOT drive a pos?
    How fricking out of touch are you, jesus christ.
    Poorgays have ruined this board, they keep coping in every thread about their inability to buy non shitboxes.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Wrenchlet consumer

2. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

$60 a month is insane.
    I'm at $100 a month for 3 vehicles. One of which is full coverage.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

I’m at a hair under $100 a month for 3, all which have full coverage with guaranteed value.
      Property tax is $30 a year.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Property tax on a depreciating "asset" is insane.

3. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Is that supposed to be cheap? I pay just barely over that for my e92 m3 and truck combined lol

4. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>if you're not a 'car guy' and no longer value the opinion of others
    If that's what you are then why are you here? Imagine making this thread on any other board
    >sup DA i don't like video games and i think playing video games is a waste of money

5. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I drive a pos that needs 93 octane
    Kill me

6. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Unless you grew up with that car, I don’t know why you’d feel such an urge to hold onto that Prizm. There are plenty of depreciated commuter missiles that feel nicer to sit in like old Avalons and Lexuses, and from an “appliance” angle, there’s more fun shitboxes out there to be had than a badge engineered Corolla.

As someone who drove a beat-up Prius for almost a decade, I’ll say that there’s something liberating about having a vehicle where you just don’t worry about things for it beyond whether it gets you from point A to B, but it’s hard to go back to once you get used to driving something nicer.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>but it’s hard to go back to once you get used to driving something nicer
      If you like to ram things out of the way, it's a lot easier to go back to the shitbox. People just avoid your car as it accumulates its battle scars, as scratching their new $60k vehicle is going to devastate them.

7. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

There is a beauty to shitboxes.

Park your expensive car next to mine at your own risk. Don't give me door room...i frickin dare ya.

8. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Your insurance is only half the price of what you would pay for a brand new car and I'm assuming you don't have full coverage so you don't get any money in a crash. You're basically being scammed because you're paying for a service that does nothing for you except make you compliant with the law. For someone with a new car, they will actually get value from buying the insurance.

9. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I bought a NuRanger but sill daily the comfy Five Hundred because easier to get into and better MPG and no fricks given if it gets a door ding.

10. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Now that I have a newer nicer vehicle paid for... I am going to buy a beater that I wouldn't mind bashing with a 2x4. I had that exact model of Corolla in red and manual in high school/college. I really enjoyed it.

11. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>Be me
    >Drive shitboxes because I had to in college.
    >Learn alot about fixing cars out of necessity, grow to enjoy it
    >Graduate, get real job.
    >Bought a new car like everyone told me to. 2019 Corolla hatch with a 6 speed.
    >Shitbox parked indefinitely, feel enormous guilt because shitbox never left me stranded.
    >Never really connected with the corolla, always worried about it.
    >Electronic everything makes the car feel numb, like driving stick with your hands and feet asleep, corolla is always beeping about something
    >Payments made me feel like I'm renting my own car.
    >Covid arrives and gigafricks the car market.
    >Sell new Corolla for what I paid, 2 years later with 20k miles.
    >Acquire other shitboxes, no car payments.
    >New job's paycheck enables modifications I only dreamed of instead of a car payment.
    >Start restoration of college shitbox
    >Acquire different shitboxes, save them from being scrapped. Feels good
    >mfw someone says 'but your car is so OLD, you should buy a new car'

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

This seems like you just bought a car at the absolute wrong time and that your real job couldn't afford it

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Not that anon, but I bought a new WRX in 2021 and I hated it. Its more fun and less stress to drive literally any old shitbox that isn't broken

12. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>the last good corolla
    >POS
    You don't know how good you have it.

13. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

yea, I make 90k/yr and drive two cars collectively worth 10k tops

People don't understand, driving shitboxes is more fun and a hell of a lot cheaper, who cares what people think of them, if you you do care I am LMAOing at your life

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>driving shitboxes is more fun and a hell of a lot cheaper, who cares what people think of them
      This mindset is a lot more common in the military types, they also know which ones are good as cheap beaters. I have never seen so many old Kia Sedonas than inside of a military base. They're probably close to hitting the 20 year and 300k mile mark these days. The $2000 saved not buying a comparable Sienna can buy a lot of day drinking.

I guess it's because their worth as a zog is how well they perform in the ranks rather than what they own, since they'll be too busy to even enjoy anything expensive anyways. I've seen some really clapped out cars driven by big shots.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>This mindset is a lot more common in the military types
        It has nothing to do with any appreciation for the veh anon. Every military type knows some guy who financed a charger at 20% with 0 down, so the reaction to that is them going to absolute other direction.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

It's a bit of both. There's always the moron that blows their paycheck on a car, but there's also plenty who put no more into a car than absolutely necessary since their deployment schedule means they never get to drive. I see way more of the latter, but that's probably because I'm not in close proximity to infantrymen and artillerymen as of late. These days the high trim 1/2 ton pickup truck is the new Charger/Challenger, now that banks approve mortgages for auto loans.

14. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

My insurance went down this year. 66.66 a month for my shitbox and trugg. Minimum coverage though. No point in anything more since they're just going to total them if anything happens.

15. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

It’s not a piece of shit, unless you have to keep dumping money into making sure it doesn’t die. The Prizm/E110 Corolla is a fine econobox that is pretty affordable to own, but it you’ll eventually run into oil consumption issues, which isn’t bad at first, but there may be a rare instance where your car will start dumping oil into the combustion chamber and you’ll have to make sure the engine has enough oil every day. You’ll have to make the decision of whether or not the car is worth the time/money repairing. These cars rarely leave you stranded on the side of the road. They may stall on you if a fuel or ignition part wears out, but once the worn part has been replaced, it will stay running until you turn the ignition off or run out of fuel.

I got my ‘99 Prizm back in 2019, when it had 210,000 miles; it currently has 281,000 miles. It also uses a 3-speed automatic which is abysmal for highway driving. I was paying $75/month for it, with liability, uninsured coverage, and towing, but ever since the pandemic, the payment went up to $102/month despite maintaining a clean driving record.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>the payment went up to $102/month despite maintaining a clean driving record
      Hit and runs have become way more common thanks to the subhuman invasion (and potential deportation), not to mention newer cars are very expensive to diagnose and repair if something goes wrong.

Selling out is expensive, who knew?

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>It also uses a 3-speed automatic which is abysmal for highway driving

Since when? Last time I drove a 3 speed auto shitbox it topped out around 110 Mph. It Didnt really have enough power for overdrive. When driving 4 speed autos I usually just use 3rd cause shifting a bunch bothers me. Also the suburban 3rd gear redline is above its top speed. It Would need 4.90 gears to make OD useful, and also to have a proper launch

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

It’s abysmal in the fact the engine runs at 4,000 rpm when it’s approaching 80 mph, and it redlines at 5200 rpm, so it’s louder than most cars traveling at the same speed. It’s tolerable for short trips but it makes you wish for more gears for 1+ hour trips.

16. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I want to get a Diesel Shitbox as a daily. Are there any decent euro cars with rwd/awd that come in diesel and dont break often? I have to drive about an hour to and from work every day so I need something that gets good gas mileage

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

omega
      e39
      any volvo
      any mercedes
      b5 passat

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Arent most volvos and passats fwd?

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

older volvos are rwd
          newer ones are fwd or awd
          passats can be had with awd

17. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>never go over 30mph anyway
    I was with you until this... my commutes I regularly hit 90+ on my 50 mile drive... hit 115 on friday going home

18. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>is there a reason to NOT drive a pos?
    it stops working every 3000 miles and you have to pay $2000 to fix it

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

never happened

19. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

daily poorgay cope thread

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous