Anyone know a DIY fix for an inaccurate range and fuel gauge?

Anyone know a DIY fix for an inaccurate range and fuel gauge? The car is a 2016 Hyundai Elantra that I’ve had since 2018. The problem is that when I get gas the range on my dash doesn’t change, my actual fuel gauge doesn’t change initially but does once I’ve driven for about 10 minutes, but the range doesn’t change until I put a lot of gas in it. I’m looking for a way to fix this issue without a mechanic, any suggestions?

Thalidomide Vintage Ad Shirt $22.14

The Kind of Tired That Sleep Won’t Fix Shirt $21.68

Thalidomide Vintage Ad Shirt $22.14

1. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

chevron techron

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

That goes right into the gas tank, right?

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Sure

2. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

there's usually something in the tank that floats and is connected to a linkage. A transducer should monitor the position/length of that linkage and tell the computer where the fuel level is at.

So id probably start at physically looking into the tank and figuring out if the floating mechanism is in some way impeded and condition of the sensor/wiring around it.

honestly though if you're getting an accurate reading, even if it takes a few minutes, who cares. I'd be ecstatic if I had an 8 year old hyundai and this somehow was the only problem with it.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>I'd be ecstatic if I had an 8 year old hyundai and this somehow was the only problem with it.
      I’ve had a few other problems with it over the years, but nothing a warranty or insurance didn’t cover (for the most part).

3. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Just carry a torch or something so you can check the fuel level in the tank and know how much you need to add. I'm a smoker so I always have a lighter on me anyway

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Never actually tried that before. Sounds like a good idea, though.

I did have a new transmission put in recently. Could that be the reason I’m having some issues?

4. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Throw your elantra in garbage and get an Accord.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

I use to own a Civic.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>scrapping a car that runs fine in Biden's economy

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Otherwise sell it to nigs or spics

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>Hyundai
        >running fine
        Not for long lmao, it'll develop rod knock or catch fire shortly enough

5. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Congrats OP you've just figured out that tank float readers are calibrated for 50% fuel level accuracy, and the very top and very bottom doesn't matter that much.

>how do I DIY fix this?!
    You want accurate fuel use? You have to have an ECU that is programmed to know how much fuel the injectors use from their duty cycle, with a memory range/capacity large enough to track an entire tank, so that following some calibrated maths it can tell you exactly how much fuel has been used.
    The injector cycle count use is easy enough. The problem is making a car ECU have the memory chip capacity and programming to record such and read it out to you.

You could build an android app to do this with an OBD port reader as most cars in the last 20 years should have injector signals in their data bus.
    But man that's a lot of work just ot be autistic about a fuel guage.
    Fricks sake anon you get 300-350 miles to a tank before hitting 1/8th, just live with it, it isn't that important.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

It isnt a float issue. He's talking about the range computer. He wants the car to say 50 mile range when he puts 1 gallon of gas in it. Hes too stupid to fill the tank to have a 400 mile range.

On the other hand its a 2016 Hyundai, so maybe its best to have less than 1 mile range when you park, so that thieves cant get very far away

6. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Change the pump and sending unit. I do this all the time in my driveway. I have done at least 6 fuel pumps with just a floor jack. Not hard to do.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Thanks. Appreciate the image too. I’ve also used Rock Auto before and they’re good.

7. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>but the range doesn’t change until I put a lot of gas in

Its an economy car. It doesn't take a lot of gas. Why the frick are you getting anything less than a full tank? Sounds like the problem is that you're only putting in 1 gallon at a time

8. 2 months ago
    s10fag

I did a fuel pump on a ~2 years old corolla and it was accessible from a panel under the rear seat. You can try to clean the resistor but usually it's encased in molded plastics and the float is just less dense than fuel so they dont sink anymore.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Thanks anon.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *