Thalidomide Vintage Ad Shirt $22.14

1. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

Are you a homosexual?

2. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

No, money down!

3. 3 months ago

That's right, goy, hate the mechanic and start your new 2 year, 10000km Lease!
    Verification not required

4. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

nah it's their stealership employees. mechanics don't get paid enough

5. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

here is the red/black/blue pill on mechanics.

They know more than you do about your car. They lift your car up and look at the components of it. Remember when you bought your mercedes because it had 'air ride' suspension? Well guess what? The lines going to the suspension are looking brittle and might fail in the near future. They are going to mark that down on your "just do an oil change bro" work order. Remember how you compared nurburgrign laptimes when buying that car? Well, now the multilink suspension components are wearing out and you need to replace 4 bushings (it's cheaper to replace the entire control arms) and get a wheel alignment. And if you don't? Well, it will drive just fine because you don't take it around the fricking Nurburgring.

I left this trade 10 years ago because morons are driving 5th hand German cars and don't understand maintenance. I had multiple customers that bought a car brand new and did everything we recommended. They had ZERO fricking issues with their cars and after 500,000km they purchased a new car. I literally attached 25mB worth of photos to work orders to show the customers what was wearing out on their cars and they would still complain about how "my old Chevy never needed this much repair work. Why can't you just turn the rotors instead of replacing them? Why do I need a brake pad sensor? My old Ford never needed one! You are trying to scam me! What's next, you're gonna sell me blinker fluid?".

But yes, lots of people are 'car guys' and will frick you over because they don't know how to diagnose electrical systems and will throw parts at your car.

• 3 months ago
      Anonymous

>don't know how to diagnose electrical systems and will throw parts at your car.
      Once upon a time I lost just under $2k to this and they didn't fix it, but they said they did. I was too tired to deal with that bullshit to go back and have them fix it; figured they would just cause more damage.

• 3 months ago
        Anonymous

I was the head 'diagnostic' guy (in quotations because it was a smaller shop but we got work from other shops because of how good I was) in a German repair shop. I would provide screenshots of labscope data and prove why we were replacing a sensor. The pay was shit so I went into heavy equipment repairs and now run a repair shop for a company working in the mining industry. It kills my fricking soul because it's cheaper to "throw parts" at a fleet truck (GMC 3500) than it is to prove why the window isn't rolling down. We literally keep switch assemblies on the shelf because it's cheaper than having down time. I have mechanics ordering parts based on fault codes and not doing the diagnostic work because it's not worth the time.

*if anybody here works in the automotive industry, please change to heavy equipment/mining so you can make double the money and have less stress. If a customer has an excavator down for 2 days he is losing thousands of dollars. He will not blink when you say he needs a new set of injectors or 150$ part for his machine to be running again.

• 3 months ago
          Anonymous

I wish someone like you had worked on my car.
          I get that time is money too -- it's the same in my industry where a quick overkill fix is better than refining the engineering to come up with the most economical material/labor.

• 3 months ago
            Anonymous

>truck comes in with a code for the injector having a possible short or open intermittently
            >order all new injectors, all new harness/connectors
            >another truck has the same issue a week later
            >start stocking these parts on the shelf so we can change them all out as soon as the code pops up
            >literally no idea if it's just a loose terminal that we could spend 15$ fixing

whatever, lol. I've learned to stop caring. But it does get frustrating when somebody goes "the code was for bad MAP sensor, and I changed it, but the code is still there!" and I go "what was the source voltage? what was the signal voltage? how did the wiring harness look? should we be doing voltage drop testing through the harness? "uhhhhh no everything looked good". And they can't provide me actual numbers so they move onto the next service in the fleet and I call in the 'electrical expert' for that piece of equipment from the manufacturer or throw parts at it. The odd time I have gone into the shop after hours and just looked at it myself and used my personal lab scope to diagnose it.

• 3 months ago
      Anonymous

I solved it by becoming my own mechanic but I never worked retail because frick that. Aviation was the far better choice because a car tech has to be a master of far more systems using far inferior tech data working for insane customers.

Retail customers think they're geniuses but don't do their own work.

6. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

Yes. Never trust a mechanic.

You get ripped off if you take it to dealership.
    You get ripped off if you try to take it to a local owned shop.

Get a car that doesnt need maintenance and under warranty.

• 3 months ago
      Anonymous

every single car needs maintenance, just most (if not all) of that maintenance can be done yourself

• 3 months ago
        Anonymous

>every single car needs maintenance
        teslas never need maintnents

• 3 months ago
          Anonymous

>battery craps out at 100,000 miles

that will be $20,000 plus tax, sir

• 3 months ago
          Anonymous

>tires
          >brakes
          >oil
          >cabin filters
          u sure?

7. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

Is your mechanic rich?

8. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

All I know is where I'm from is that mechanics are stupid, grease monkey, part changers (95% of them aren't worth shit). Places that focus on transmissions are pretty decent. Auto body shops have some of the nicest and fair people around.

9. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

Service writers are. Source: Am one. I made almost $400k last year selling people shit they didn't need.

10. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

Nobody has ever said that to me because I fix broken cars. I’ve had many, many thank you’s, lots of baked goods, tips and one fruit basket. lol

11. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

There’s so much legit shit that needs fixing why would anyone rip you off?

12. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

Do you see mechanics riding around in exotics?

13. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

Maybe dealer techs since they charge a frickton for everything.
    I don't see why an independent shop would rip you off, they're extremely reliant on reputation and they always seem to be broke, in debt, or running on a thin profit margin.

14. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

I just wish they'd let me bring my own parts
    >I ask two shops: a dealership and my local shop
    how much for a rear view mirror on this 1992 car?
    >dealer price: 500$, local shop price: 300$, part price alone, not installed.
    wtf, I can find mirrors for AT MOST 150$? can I just order it myself and bring it to you?
    >no, we don't allow that because you could bring a bad aftermarket part that won't fit or won't last and we don't want to be liable
    I'd understand but why the insane markup if the most expensive part I can find online doesn't even come close to your prices?
    >our parts are top quality manufactured you wont find better online
    where do you get your stuff then? why can't I find the part at your prices online?
    >all online parts are chinese ripoffs with bad build quality
    but I have the part ID straight from the manufacturer and im paying the recommended MSRP from this site.
    >well we offer warranty on our parts and if you bring your own it makes the job at our loss.

Some shops will just increase their hourly rate if you bring your own parts to compensate, others just straight up deny and make up all those excuses, I'd be totally fine paying a small markup at shops, but these prices are complete asspulls. for normal wear and tear parts, usually you get fair prices in my experience, just don't ask shops for the more cosmetic side of car parts.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *