Are turbo timers still a thing? Are they necessary on a modern/new car?

Are turbo timers still a thing? Are they necessary on a modern/new car? I usually just idle my WRX for a couple minutes after parking.

Homeless People Are Sexy Shirt $21.68

Yakub: World's Greatest Dad Shirt $21.68

Homeless People Are Sexy Shirt $21.68

1. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

why the frick would you need an alternator that big

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous
    • 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Ship engines. Sometimes locomotives.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Ship engines. Sometimes locomotives.

Not trains, but yes ships like freighters, oil tankers and cruise ships. Power plants and mines too.
      t. worked in the industry

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

I heard they don't actually boost so much as help the engine breathe better, does that have any validity or is that bullshit? Also do you guys idle the engine before shutting it off?

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

I mean those are one in the same thing. Yes they do provide boost, these engines don't just have one of these turbos, they usually have 4-6 of them. And the intake ports of the cylinder heads were usually a tad bigger than that of the turbo too
          I couldn't tell you about idling before shutdown because that's not something I really ever did, the only time I did was apart of sea trials (which is basically a very complex break in) and that was only done to record various temperatures and recording a bunch of boring stats like the rate at which engine load decreases over certain intervals. A field service tech could probably answer that but I was a shop guy primarily

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

>tad bigger
            tad smaller, my bad

could you SUTUTUTUTUUU with a turbo ship engine?

No it just sounds like the loudest and most annoying vacuum cleaner you've ever heard

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

>No it just sounds like the loudest and most annoying vacuum cleaner you've ever heard
            how sad

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

could you SUTUTUTUTUUU with a turbo ship engine?

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Yes.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>no dose pipe for the tsutsutsu

Ships are gay
            If that wasn't a gay ship some made dog would've put a 10 meter long pointless pipe on the end of that turbo just for the dose.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

shut up its serious business.

2. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Yes they're still a thing but they've been harder to implement with the advent of push button start systems because now instead of having a key switch it's a complete ignition module that communicates via CAN instead of simple 12 volts which is what the turbo timer interrupted. So yes it's better to just idle your car for a few minutes, or if you know you can't wait you should start driving gently those last few minutes before you get there, that way you can turn the car off immediately.

3. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

No, newer cars have electric water pumps that keep circulating water through the cooling system for a few minutes after the engine is shut off. Most of the German brands for example.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>Are they necessary on a modern/new car?
      Not really. I've seen some owners manuals tell you to idle the vehicle for a little bit after driving it really hard to prevent coking. Under normal driving conditions modern turbos are engineered to stay cool and won't require this with the oil at it's normal operating temp.

That's not what a turbo timer is for though. Turbo timers are there to cool down the turbo hence their name. Most factory turbos aren't watercooled.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Most factory turbos are water-cooled though, and OP was asking if they're still a thing or still needed. What would make you think modern turbos are only oil cooled? All new cars are expected to last 100,000 miles and oiled cool turbos really stopped being a thing in the early 90s, most of the Japanese cars (Mitsu, Subaru, Nissan, Toyota, Mazda) all had water lines running in/out the turbos. Pic related is from the FSM of the S4 FC RX7 which came out in 1985

Most Fords also have auxillary electric water pumps and the Ecoboosts specifically have it come on when the engine is shut off and reverse the flow to pull heat from the turbos. I wouldn't doubt if GM does the same on their 3/4cyl Turbos

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

My car's water pump is manual though, you can't assume ALL modern cars are electric. Additionally, keeping the car on allows cooler exhaust from the engine to cool off the turbine housing as a whole instead of just the core with the bearings.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

A lot of newer cars with mechanical water pumps also have a auxiliary electric water pump. Ford and Nissan (VRs in GTR and Q50/Z) do that. In the Fords it's specifically to help cool the turbos

I think Toyota/Subaru and Honda are the only ones that don't have electric water pumps or auxiliary pumps.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

It’s a ‘23 Subaru so I’m probably justified in idling it

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

I get what you mean. I don't know, the manual still tells me to leave it on for a minute so I follow directions. I don't think it has an auxiliary pump though.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/NAXVxVW.jpg

Most factory turbos are water-cooled though, and OP was asking if they're still a thing or still needed. What would make you think modern turbos are only oil cooled? All new cars are expected to last 100,000 miles and oiled cool turbos really stopped being a thing in the early 90s, most of the Japanese cars (Mitsu, Subaru, Nissan, Toyota, Mazda) all had water lines running in/out the turbos. Pic related is from the FSM of the S4 FC RX7 which came out in 1985

Most Fords also have auxillary electric water pumps and the Ecoboosts specifically have it come on when the engine is shut off and reverse the flow to pull heat from the turbos. I wouldn't doubt if GM does the same on their 3/4cyl Turbos

My car's water pump is manual though, you can't assume ALL modern cars are electric. Additionally, keeping the car on allows cooler exhaust from the engine to cool off the turbine housing as a whole instead of just the core with the bearings.

A lot of newer cars with mechanical water pumps also have a auxiliary electric water pump. Ford and Nissan (VRs in GTR and Q50/Z) do that. In the Fords it's specifically to help cool the turbos

I think Toyota/Subaru and Honda are the only ones that don't have electric water pumps or auxiliary pumps.

The neat thing is: with a properly engineered cooling setup, the water will continue flowing through your turbo after the engine has shut off EVEN WITHOUT an electric water pump. That's was originally the purpose of water cooling turbos - to use thermal syphoning to keep the turbo from heat soak overheating after you shut the oil off.

4. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

I find it funny when certain truckgays insist on idling for a 2-3 minutes after parking when they just spent 5 minutes waiting or looking for the perfect spot in front the 'mart at idle

5. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

It's probably better to idle it a bit, but if it were a big deal you'd hear about normies getting turbo failures all the time. From experience, most Subaru turbo failures are due to owners not replacing the filter inside of this one turbo feed line banjo bolt (which yours may not even have, I've only had '00s Subarus).

6. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Turbo timers stopped being a thing when water cooled turbos became the standard.

7. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>fins on the exducer pointing the wrong way
    ummm bros... Is this just a trick of the camera?

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

These are guide vanes, not the blades. You can see the half length stems origination from the housing outside.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

I've never heard of guide vanes but that's probably the only explanation that would make sense, and I'm sure the turbo doesn't not make sense, so I guess that's probably it.

8. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Nah modern turbos dont need it i haven't noticed it on many cars since the 00s

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *