Are you an ABS or no ABS Fella?

I see many folk usually rip em out yet lack the skill to compensate for this change.

What do you fellas prefer and why?
>Don't give a shit about any car past 2010

Homeless People Are Sexy Shirt $21.68

Yakub: World's Greatest Dad Shirt $21.68

Homeless People Are Sexy Shirt $21.68

1. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

i pull those things out of my cars and take a shit in the pumps and sell them on ebay to cucks

2. 3 weeks ago
    Panda5

I like ABS, but I disable mine because I hate stability control too much.
    People online act like you can overcome ABS with skill, but it's harder than it seems. The lockup point changes with speed and tire temp, so it is changing even during a single brake from 60-0, it's not like there's a magical point you know to keep it at that won't lock. And if you're turning even slightly or have weight shift one wheel will lock up sooner than usual.
    I've never had ABS at track days and would've appreciated having it for that ultra super late braking. I wish ABS by itself were still a thing.

3. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Literally no one on the planet has the skill to beat ABS. People rip them out just to be contrarians or claim they have some sort of secret ability. At no point is ripping out ABS, other than for compliance with a racing series, worth it.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Is this from a modern bugmobile perspective or older cars? (Mid 2000s down)

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Afaik in thick sand/dirt/mud ABS is legitimately a danger, at least on bikes, since it'll just keep trying for grip where there is none so you effectively get no brakes.
      I've never been off-roading in a 4 wheel vehicle though so it might be different in a 4x4

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

No that is totally how it is. ABS coming off is the first stuck if you are stuck or slipping.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>Literally no one on the planet has the skill to beat ABS. People rip them out just to be contrarians or claim they have some sort of secret ability. At no point is ripping out ABS, other than for compliance with a racing series, worth it.
      this, 100%

Afaik in thick sand/dirt/mud ABS is legitimately a danger, at least on bikes, since it'll just keep trying for grip where there is none so you effectively get no brakes.
      I've never been off-roading in a 4 wheel vehicle though so it might be different in a 4x4

>Afaik in thick sand/dirt/mud ABS is legitimately a danger, at least on bikes
      in cars too, i crashed once because there was some sand spilled on the road and the abs did not let me slow down
      still i would much rather have it than not, on any car except maybe something dedicated to off-roading

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>no one on the planet has the skill to beat ABS.
      Dude, what?
      Tests with professional drivers showed a dramatic decrease in stopping distance with ABS disabled.
      95% of drivers don't fall in that category but your statement is a lie.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Were these tests conducted with modern ABS or 1980s ABS, and were they on pavement like 94% of US roads are?

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

dirt roads and 60s abs

4. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

for street use, keep it in. what you need is steerability in an emergency braking situation.
    for track use, take it out. you probably don't need it and you'll save a bit of weight.

5. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

ABS is faster.
    I've raced many non ABS and ABS cars, and it's faster.
    as a driver I just can't do things like lower the bias braking pressure on just 1 caliper for example.
    -
    some ABS systems are so shit that they are worth deleting though.
    a 190e I drove had horrible brakes because of that.
    but most of the time it's someone who can't afford a new module or doesn't have the skill to fix it.
    -
    .t burns through $5,000 worth of race tires a year

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

What would a good unit vs bad unit feel/look like? If that's even possibile to translate.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Good ABS isn't noticable on track.
        if that makes sense.
        doing it's job and also not being intrusive are the usual hallmarks.

the E46 and e90/92 BMWs for example have excellent ABS systems.
        so good people swap those systems into other race cars.(doing the swap on a turd gen myself)

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

I remember the ABS on my parents' 1996 Fiat Ulysse.
          It must have been mechanical or something, because the drum brakes at the back would make these ferocious BANG BANG BANG BANG noises as the ABS suddenly re-engaged the shoes as if they were being twanged by a spring.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Abs units lower brake pressure in pulses.
            so with old systems it's a pretty jarring.
            Drum brakes don't particularly like pressure changes either.

6. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Most of my cars don't have it, so when I drive the few that do (like my truck), I always find myself hitting the brake right to the limit and it does this annoying repeat tapping on and off and I either have to push down more to let ABS stay on or let off a bit and reduce brake pressure.

7. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I have never owned a vehicle with a working or factory ABS. My current fleet of 2002 vintage shitboxes don't have ABS from the factory. I prefer the simplicity of a ABS free brake system. Less shit to fail and no need to worry about shit like bleeding ABS pumps. I like not having to worry about wheel speed sensors and shit.

Would I recommend normal people not run ABS? Frick no. Most people need all the fricking help they can get.

8. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

multi-channel or brake force distributing abs systems are good (better than a human could be, since it can address each wheel individually) and there's no reason to delete them aside from race regulations.

that said, abs that can't independently modulate each wheel (single channel) can sometimes be dangerously bad. only one wheel sliding on a narrow ice patch? no brakes for you! also some manufacturers just have shit implementations with bad/slow response time. hit a pothole when trying to stop for a red light? no brakes for almost two seconds on dry pavement, thanks honda.

9. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I prefer being alive rather than wrapped around a tree on some shit corner, so ABS for me.

10. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

i dont have contrarian personality disorder so i drive a relatively modern automatic car with all the safety features enabled

11. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

My 90 C1500 has rear ABS but it doesn't work. I will bypass and remove the system at some point but for now I just have a flashing red light on my dash. I assume this is normal for Chevys though.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

My 93 K1500 burb has 0 issues with ABS. It works just fine.

But mine is a GMC, so it's better, trust

12. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

On a car I don't care if it has ABS. My old shitbox has it but no traction control anyway, so it really doesn't cost much.

On a motorbike I would like ABS, togglable. It makes brake skids in cars feel like playing with toys because they'll always stay up and you can just pull your foot off the pedal. My bike has no ABS and can't imagine maxxing the front brake and staying upright after a second.

13. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

The ABS to my front left wheel wasn't working and if it wasn't fixed, my car would no longer be deemed roadworthy by May, so that took considerable time and expense to replace. The car was totally unaffected, I even drove it through heavy rain and braked heavily a few times, no difference.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

post miata

14. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

It's easier to do skids without abs

15. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I'm an ASS man if you catch my drift

16. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

My truck has no ABS, which I prefer for that truck because its older and you gotta put real effort into it to lock up when you're not on ice & snow. It also eliminates a failure point

However I do prefer ABS over non-ABS for most uses, because its simply just.... better. Its faster, more accurate, modern units can block off individual wheels,and can really save you when you've gotta do some emergency stuff and you don't really have time to precisely control your braking

17. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

ABS is good for the average driver. Learning and knowing threshold braking is good for the track. I get plenty of practice shortfielding a small plane. Each foot controls a main wheel brake and it's easy to lock them up since the available traction increases as you slow down however it easy to over do it before the plane is ready for it. Fun part is this can cause you to dart off center line and if not corrected right off the runway.

18. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

The 1% of the time you need abs is that time you'd have been wrapped around a tree without it.
    Not a fan but I accept its utility.
    File it with the one time you may ever need a belt and airbags.

19. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

i drive a trugg w/ no abs. all good until the .001% chance i have to emergency stop on a gravel covered road.

what's the 'best' ABS? the e36 bosch unit (3ch) can be run standalone in other cars - and the e46 (4ch) can be flashed with more aggressive 'motorsport' versions.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous
  20. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I prefer all my emergency reactions to be mediated by computers

21. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I usually drive up and down steep rough roads and ABS coupled with automatic is a recipe for a runaway vehicle that I had experienced a couple times but luckily was able to reel it in after about 40 feet. In comparison I drive non abs vehicles on the same road and you can't getaway with at least one wheel sliding but then you have the others and the transmission holding you back in 4x4. I don't prefer it at all but I don't tamper with it either.

22. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Ford Scorpio Mk1s only came with ABS but it's first gen ABS that constantly shits the bed so I replaced it with the master cylinder off of a Ford Sierra and 3d printed a part that goes right into the intake to have power brakes.
    Just brake a bit less lmao. Where I live roads are often slippery so I'd rather not ditch my car because the ABS is shitting bricks

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *