Auto noob needs advice

My 2016 Nissan Sentra has 100k miles and transmission just stopped working
Mechanics around here say CVT transmissions can’t be repaired and it’ll be $4800-$6500 to swap it out for a factory refurbished one.
I can find 50k mile ones for $750 on eBay but I’ve only ever learned to do my own brakes, oil, and battery cable replacement. Can I even learn to do this on YouTube, my buddy has a lift and cherry picker but I doubt he could do this either.
Same make and model replacement cars are $8-$10k in my area

Thalidomide Vintage Ad Shirt $22.14

Tip Your Landlord Shirt $21.68

Thalidomide Vintage Ad Shirt $22.14

1. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

eBay CVT will grenade on you too. either take the L or swap it, get it driving, and sell it off to the first person who hands you 5k

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

For about a grand total to swap it I would install a used one, buy another car, then sell that one because it's worth a lot more than scrap value with a busted trans.

knows.

You need to learn sometime and once you can do drivetrain swaps your automotive life gets much less expensive over the rest of your days.

After this only buy for reliability and after you sort out a good daily, buy a second reliable car and sort that out. The best way to ensure your next car is good is sort it out while you drive something else.

2. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

that paint alone is worthy of the whole thing having a salvage title. Don't spend a dime

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Not my actual car but thanks

3. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>$5.5k repair
    >$9k car
    Doomp eet

4. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Hey bro, rip. Got some future advice, research the car’s transmission and engine (type car model and year, and “common problems” with the quotations, forces google to search with that term). You’ll avoid this EVER happening again. Otherwise, yeah it’s a salvage in the waiting. So best bet is trash it, take the loss and get another cheaper Honda or Toyota economy car (Civic, Accord for Honda or Corolla for Toyota). Older ones that need the SMALLEST tax usually, will go for $5k if they also look a bit worse for wear. LOOKS DON’T MATTER when you need a workhorse car. Just be smart bro, buy Honda or Toyota for a workhorse.

good luck man, I’m sure you’ll do fine with one of those brands, just do the fluids and timing belt, and chill. Peace!

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Forgot this, follow this whether at a stealership, or a private seller

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Hory shett 12yr ago

We need an updated virgin for the current millenias

5. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

They're surprisingly easy to replace. Much more involved than an oil change of course, but if you have a weekend and a buddy to help you you guys could probably figure it out.
    You do need to reset the learned adaptations and the range switch after you're done which requires a scan tool.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I found a guy who will do the reset for $200

6. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

CVT’s (especially for that car/generation) are hot garbage. I’m stubborn and hold on to my cars for as long as I can but that specific transmission is just awful. Absolutely awful. There’s a reason they’re so damn expensive compared to a regular auto transmission. They’re prone to blowing up and everyone wants one.

7. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Just find a used manual gearbox and install it yourself

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

How much would that cost?

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

You'll need to price out the parts in your area but a used gearbox online should be around $350 before shipping. Then you need a flywheel, clutch and donor shifter etc hardware. Find a video of someone doing the swap. Best is to buy a junk manual donor then scrap it afterwards if you can find one.

8. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>Nissan
    Get rid of it. Those are dogshit cars.

9. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>Modern automatics are be-ACK

10. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

so im a moron whos never done car repairs beyond basic oil change kinda shit. isnt a transmission just more or less 'plug and play'? i always assumed you just pulled the old troony as a unit and attached the new one as a unit. what all does it entail besides that?

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Auto transmission has what's called a flex plate bolted to the crankshaft, and it's basically just there to connect the crank to the teeth of the starter gear ring and to the torque converter, which sits on the auto trans input shaft.
      A manual gearbox has a clutch disc on the input shaft and then a flywheel bolted to the crank. the flywheel also typically connects the crank to the starter gear but it's usually heavier because it's meant to provide inertial to the motor, and it has a smooth surface for the clutch to grab. Pressure plate is on the other side of the clutch disc and bolted to the flywheel.
      And of course there's bell housing compatibility and the electronics to figure out, which is a bigger deal the newer the car.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

How much would it cost to get a mechanic swap to a manual gearbox?

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Apologies if I'm wrong but you seem young. Any manual swap, engine swap 6 cylinder to 8 or basically any other combo is more expensive than selling your car and buying the same model. You will nickel and dime yourself to death on that shit. Sell your car to another hopeful moron and buy the real deal

11. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

No one going to point out that this guy has 3 legs?

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *