>be v6 mustang. >cost 10k less than gt. >get supercharger installed for 10k. >make 50hp more than gt

>be v6 mustang
>cost 10k less than gt
>get supercharger installed for 10k
>make 50hp more than gt
Why wasn't this more popular? I mean obviously now you can't get the V6 anymore but if it was 10 years ago why would you take the V8?

Mike Stoklasa's Worst Fan Shirt $21.68

Thalidomide Vintage Ad Shirt $22.14

Mike Stoklasa's Worst Fan Shirt $21.68

1. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Nobody was buying a brand new V6 mustang and dropping 10K of mods into it, obviously.
    You would just buy the fast one if you had the money for the already fast one.

2. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I remember when people were exploding their driveshafts in these just removing the speed limiter BITD.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

can also be done with v6 camaros, challys and chargers
      most car guys want to buy power not build it

also this, the mustang v6 has weaker drivetrain parts so it's not as simple as just slapping the s/c on.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>most car guys want to buy power not build it
        but why wouldn't you just buy the V8 and then mod that? I totally get it if all you can swing for is the V6, and you want to make it all you can, but it's moronic if you can afford the V8 and then say "frick that, I'll boost a V6 instead" for the same money

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

What's moronic about it? Imagine if Ford sold 2 different mustangs. Both were identical in every way, body, suspension, interior, etc, except one had a 400hp engine and they other had a 450hp engine. And they were the same price. No one would ever buy the weaker one. You'd be a fool to pay the same amount of money for a slower car.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>Imagine if Ford sold 2 different mustangs. Both were identical in every way, body, suspension, interior, etc, except one had a 400hp engine and they other had a 450hp engine
            That's an entirely different scenario than what OP posited.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

It really isn't. What if the supercharger was a Factory option? You get a turnkey supercharged V6 for the same price as a V8 with less hp. I don't know if you have the imagination necessary to grasp such a wild concept but maybe you can just try

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>It really isn't.
            One is discussing a major, personal modification that voids basically your entire warranty, and the other is a factory option. Those are two completely, different discussions and you're an idiot if you think they aren't. But to humor you, yes, there are tons of people that would buy the slightly lower HP, NA V8, over a supercharged V6, especially if they plan to mod it anyway.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

It really isn't. What if the supercharger was a Factory option? You get a turnkey supercharged V6 for the same price as a V8 with less hp. I don't know if you have the imagination necessary to grasp such a wild concept but maybe you can just try

This is pretty much what Ford Australia did for decades with the Falcon V8 XR8 and the i6 XR6 (and later XR6 Turbo).
            They basically had to gimp the XR6s to deliberately make 5 or 10 less horsepower than the V8s because otherwise nobody would buy the V8s, also I think the XR6s often ended up faster to 100km/h or 1/4mile because they were lighter and had better power to weight.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

the large amount of engine bay space allows for turbo piping and the v6s are usually a little lighter and better balanced, good for autocross and daily hooning

This. People always talk about buying a cheaper spec and upgrading, but 9 times out of 10 you're better off buying the up spec model from the beginning

this is also true
          the top spec v6s are nearly expensive as a base v8 and it's a lot easier to add in the optional gubbins you missed out on later than it is to swap a whole engine

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

They used the same transmissions and rear axle, it was literally just the driveshaft they cheaped out on.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Just because it's a T56 doesn't mean they're the same.
          The V6 version has a smaller input shaft for starters

3. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>spend the same money for marginally more power
    >without any of the suspension, transmission, and gearing upgrades
    >now far less reliable
    >also your warranty is void
    >why wasn't this popular
    Are you moronic?

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

This. People always talk about buying a cheaper spec and upgrading, but 9 times out of 10 you're better off buying the up spec model from the beginning

• 2 months ago
      Greased Geese

I don't think a procharged v6 in a car designed for a v8 is going to hurt shit unless you can't drive and just beat the fricker senselessly.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Unless you've beefed up everything between the engine and the tires, it absolutely will. Do you really think they're putting 500HP transmissions in a car that's 300HP stock?

• 2 months ago
          Greased Geese

im pretty sure that a late model mustang will probably handle 500hp on street tires, including tje transmission, yes.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>pretty sure
            >probably
            >even though several anons have already mentioned people breaking shit on stock HP for the V6 model

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Ironic that ford won't put a 500hp rated trans on a 300hp car while honda put a 600hp rated trans on a 160hp car kek

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Honda manufacturers much of their own components. So they just make one type and use it across different configurations so save cost.
            Because of historical and political reasons, the Big Three domestic manufacturers outsource much of their supply chain so they're able to purchase a slightly cheaper version without the R&D or manufacturing costs.
            The example in this thread is a Tremec transmission, who also sells to GM and Dodge.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

it's two different answers to "how do we not get sued by morons"
            honda uses brute force durability
            ford uses warranty

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

The 3.7L version of the 6R80 is rated at 443lb-ft. That's far better than the V6 Challengers ZF8 that can only hold 332lb-ft and easily enough to hold 500hp.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Then why does the v8 come with beefed up everything else

• 2 months ago
          Greased Geese

either you are full of shit or I don't care.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>tripgay
        >shit take
        Yup, it checks out

4. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

so you can buy a $27k car, slap $10k of mods onto it, and have a $22k car that goes marginally faster than the $37k car, while your car is maxed out performance wise the $37k car still has plenty of room to grow
    sounds like a terrible idea

5. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Because spinning a supercharger costs more than spinning two extra cylinders in the long run.
    You will waste more fuel and run your engine harder.
    Just make the engine bigger if you need more power.

6. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>see musclecar
    >makes puny little 6 cylinder noises
    I cringe every time, even in my prius

7. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>be v6 owner
    >supercharge my v6 to beat v8s cause I was a cheapskate
    >be v8 owner
    >throw in billet opg's and a magnuson
    >make demon 170 numbers for $45k
    U mad?

8. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

its still a v6

9. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Because on the used market the price difference is probably equivalent to just buying a Used GT instead of slapping on parts to make the V6 less reliable.

Its the root of "no replacement for displacement"

Buying the bigger engine almost always means its cheaper in the long run.

10. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

because you also get a v6 driveline, trans, diff, axles, etc.

11. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

V6 is for homosexuals lmao. Trust Americans to be morons.
    H6 is where it's at. Bet none of you have an H6, do you? Thought not. Spastics can't even change gears by themselves.

12. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

because charger, mustang, challenger, camaro are only v8's. they v6's are girl cars basically. ok maybe they arent girl cars, but its just not the same, the cars were made for v8. its like a ferrari, it should be red with a v12 and a manual shifter.

also you cant just slap on 200hp and call it a day, there is a lot more you should really be doing to a car than just increasing the horsepower lol. what tires would a v6 mustang have like fricking 215 width or some shift? whats the point of 500 hp

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *