Beginner Bikes & Anti Theft

I live in a building and park my car outside in the parking lot, I have 2 tandem parking spaces front to back in the lot, anyone could drive into the lot
I wanna get a small cheap bike to cruise around on. Only ever drove a 125cc moped but it was fun.
Possible to spend like $2500-$5k on a nice first bike? Honda Grom? Something more powerful? Not opposed to something cheap and upgrading/trading

But my main concern: how do I stop someone from just lifting it up and putting it in the bed of their truck and driving away?
I live in a condo complex and park my car outside in the parking lot, I have 2 tandem parking spaces front to back in the lot
I wanna get a small cheap bike to cruise around on. Only ever drove a 125cc moped but it was fun.
Possible to spend like $2500-$5k on a nice first bike? Honda Grom? Something more powerful? Not opposed to something cheap and upgrading/trading

But my main concern: how do I stop someone from just lifting it up and putting it in the bed of their truck and driving away?

Thalidomide Vintage Ad Shirt $22.14

Unattended Children Pitbull Club Shirt $21.68

Thalidomide Vintage Ad Shirt $22.14

1. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

fix ya damn bot

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

?
      Why would a bot ask these questions? I wanna know what bike to buy man

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Didn't realize I pasted the same shit in twice

I always fail the captchas so I copy it in case

2. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Attach bike to something sturdy or more stealable.
    The only way you can secure a bike, apart from tracking it, is to annoy the f out of thieves more than the bike next to it.
    If pic was yours then If i wanted it it would be gone. Don't leave anything you want attached to a bike and insure the heck out of it.

3. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Yeah I got my Bonneville for $4000. A similar bike today is like $4500. Great beginner's bike, plenty of power but not enough to get you to jail. Cheap insurance, abundant aftermarket, and almost everyone kinda likes it.

>But my main concern: how do I stop someone from just lifting it up and putting it in the bed of their truck and driving away?
    In short, you can't. There is no "burglar proof" security solution and even if there was, would you spend that kind of money on a <$5k used motorcycle?

Option 1: Well lit area, high traffic area where there are always eyes on it. Get a really heavy gauge chain and an actually good padlock (minimum $150) wrapping it through the frame, wheels, and an immovable object like a steel building girder in the concrete. Equip it with front and rear disc brake locks. Have a good security/alarm system on the bike itself. Hire an armed guard

Option 2: Put it in a garage in a low crime area like a responsible adult.

Option 3: Just have decent theft insurance on it. Motorcycle insurance is like $80 a year for the bare minimum on most bikes. Bump it up to $100 a year to add theft coverage. Get full coverage for $140.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

In an underground parking space with security and have a cage around your vehicle and have maybe pirahnas or crocodiles swimming in a liquid filled chamber around the inner cage.
      A bunch of Phalanx would be neat too.

4. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Inside the condo.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Absolutely.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

even the first floor is up a staircase, don't think it would be doable

Yeah I got my Bonneville for $4000. A similar bike today is like $4500. Great beginner's bike, plenty of power but not enough to get you to jail. Cheap insurance, abundant aftermarket, and almost everyone kinda likes it.

>But my main concern: how do I stop someone from just lifting it up and putting it in the bed of their truck and driving away?
        In short, you can't. There is no "burglar proof" security solution and even if there was, would you spend that kind of money on a <$5k used motorcycle?

Option 1: Well lit area, high traffic area where there are always eyes on it. Get a really heavy gauge chain and an actually good padlock (minimum $150) wrapping it through the frame, wheels, and an immovable object like a steel building girder in the concrete. Equip it with front and rear disc brake locks. Have a good security/alarm system on the bike itself. Hire an armed guard

Option 2: Put it in a garage in a low crime area like a responsible adult.

Option 3: Just have decent theft insurance on it. Motorcycle insurance is like $80 a year for the bare minimum on most bikes. Bump it up to $100 a year to add theft coverage. Get full coverage for $140.

good that youre asking this question, i lived in a decent part of town and put off security when i got my bike 3 years ago, and it got stolen within a few months (i ended up getting it back in rough condition and having to fix it). making your bike not the lowest hanging fruit is really better than nothing. aside from having an anchor you can chain it to, there is nothing you can do to prevent it just being lifted into a truck, trailer, van etc. it only takes two guys. i would recommend a disc or handlebar lock and a gps tracker. the gps tracker hidden (like monimoto) is the most important, as even if it is stolen you can locate it. the disc or handlebar lock will deter or slow them down, and monimoto calls you if it detects motion on the bike, the locks will give you enough time to respond. hide the tracker deep in the bike. also get a cover while youre at it, bird dookie on your bike isnt cool. store it in your place during winter or at a friends garage. hope this helps

Helps a lot, thanks guys

I have 2 parking spots front to back, so maybe it could be realistic to chain the bike to my car somehow. But seems like insurance and tracking is gonna be the way.

But what should I be looking for on Craigslist or marketplace? Do dealerships sell bikes for <$5k?

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

Motorbike up a staircase is noisy and upsets your housemates, it upsets your landlord when you wear out the stair carpet too.
          Kmx will go up any stairwell.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

>so maybe it could be realistic to chain the bike to my car somehow
          How to ensure you have a lapse and start backing out of your spot with your bike chained to your car. lol. Unless you live in a highly concentrated melanin area, the most you should do is a disc brake lock. Even then, everyone knows like 95% of brake locks are pot metal garbage often defeated with a simple screwdriver. PLUS you're not locking up when you take it out for a ride and stop somewhere. An airtag plus decent insurance (because its so cheap on motorcycles) is realistically what you should be doing. You don't chain your car to a building when you park it and cars get stolen all the time.

Some dealerships sell cheap bikes under $5k, but you have to keep in mind they have all that overhead and NEED to make a profit on that bike. Craigslist and cycletrader are decent places. Think up some bike styles you like (crotch rocket, naked, street, scrambler, bobber, whatever) and just start searching nearly daily. Used Bonnevilles like I have have an under stressed engine, its tame enough for a beginner to learn on, and can be had for under $6k. Don't get some 250cc bike thats been wrecked and consider that the new rider default. They don't have enough power and you'll out-skill it in about a month of riding. Now you have to sell it and get another one again. Don't get some liter bike, but as long as you've done the MSF and not a moron just don't crash.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

>so maybe it could be realistic to chain the bike to my car somehow
          How to ensure you have a lapse and start backing out of your spot with your bike chained to your car. lol. Unless you live in a highly concentrated melanin area, the most you should do is a disc brake lock. Even then, everyone knows like 95% of brake locks are pot metal garbage often defeated with a simple screwdriver. PLUS you're not locking up when you take it out for a ride and stop somewhere. An airtag plus decent insurance (because its so cheap on motorcycles) is realistically what you should be doing. You don't chain your car to a building when you park it and cars get stolen all the time.

Some dealerships sell cheap bikes under $5k, but you have to keep in mind they have all that overhead and NEED to make a profit on that bike. Craigslist and cycletrader are decent places. Think up some bike styles you like (crotch rocket, naked, street, scrambler, bobber, whatever) and just start searching nearly daily. Used Bonnevilles like I have have an under stressed engine, its tame enough for a beginner to learn on, and can be had for under $6k. Don't get some 250cc bike thats been wrecked and consider that the new rider default. They don't have enough power and you'll out-skill it in about a month of riding. Now you have to sell it and get another one again. Don't get some liter bike, but as long as you've done the MSF and not a moron just don't crash.

up for cycletrader or craigslist too. nobody with half a brain should be using faceberg marketshit anymore. and really for 5k you can find a pretty decent bike in any category. it depends on what style you like. some options that stood out to me locally under 5k:
          >honda cb300
          >honda cb500
          >yamaha xt250
          >kawasaki vulcan
          >kawasaki vulcan bobber
          the vulcans are good if youre especially tall
          >harley sportster 883
          >honda shadow
          all under 5k. also look for ninja 250s, 300s, r3s, suzuki 250s, gs500s etc. basically you want a single or twin cylinder bike with <50hp. maybe an sv650 if you feel comfortable with a little more power. all just depends on what style of bike you like

5. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

good that youre asking this question, i lived in a decent part of town and put off security when i got my bike 3 years ago, and it got stolen within a few months (i ended up getting it back in rough condition and having to fix it). making your bike not the lowest hanging fruit is really better than nothing. aside from having an anchor you can chain it to, there is nothing you can do to prevent it just being lifted into a truck, trailer, van etc. it only takes two guys. i would recommend a disc or handlebar lock and a gps tracker. the gps tracker hidden (like monimoto) is the most important, as even if it is stolen you can locate it. the disc or handlebar lock will deter or slow them down, and monimoto calls you if it detects motion on the bike, the locks will give you enough time to respond. hide the tracker deep in the bike. also get a cover while youre at it, bird dookie on your bike isnt cool. store it in your place during winter or at a friends garage. hope this helps

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

A cover is a good thing. If your suoper dooper cool bike looks like a pos under the cover then people with vans will shop elsewhere. Hopefully.
      A grenade or two may usefully halm intruders where you are legally allowed to use such things.

6. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

my bike has a steering lock and the pin for it is pretty stout. Granted wouldn't stop them from just picking it up, but would at least make it more difficult to roll it onto a trailer since they'd have to pick the front wheel up.

But my area's pretty safe. My neighbor has a yamaha dual sport parked in the same manner and it's never been stolen either.

Although I was talking to a lady who lives in the nearest big city and she said her husband had a bike and would take it up into their apartment at night, but one night he forgot and it got stolen 🙁

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

I've a couple of these. pic
      One will open anything short of a safe door quickly and silently then persuade any steering lock to comply.
      Insure your stuff because if someone wants it then it will go away.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/QHxcNqT.jpeg

I've a couple of these. pic
      One will open anything short of a safe door quickly and silently then persuade any steering lock to comply.
      Insure your stuff because if someone wants it then it will go away.

again, gps tracker solves this. they have motion sensors and call your phone immediately. if they get away you know where it is. if they frick around looking for a tracker, it will take more than enough time to remove it for you to respond

7. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>I live in a building
    Do you, now?

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *