BMW 840i

Why does nobody want these? There's 2023 lease returns going for 60% of MSRP, while the much cheaper M340i has barely depreciated at all.

POSIWID: The Purpose Of A System Is What It Does Shirt $21.68

The Kind of Tired That Sleep Won’t Fix Shirt $21.68

POSIWID: The Purpose Of A System Is What It Does Shirt $21.68

1. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I can't afford one, bro. I'll be lucky to get a used clapped out 230i.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Just get a 228i or a 1 series.

2. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>over 22,000 miles in less than a year
    That's an extreme amount for that model year, so that explains the pricing.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

you can buy a 2020 or 2021 with the same miles for even less than that

insurance is expensive and they are really big for something that's not an SUV

it's about the same size and weight as a Mustang GT, main difference is the wheelbase is longer

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

But BMW targets non-white trash consumers who ultimately have a different taste in vehicles.
        It’s the same logic as a Mercedes Benz pickup. It just doesn’t appeal to the tobaccy chewing shitkickers or Frasier Crane types.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

The pickup also didn't sell and I don't think I've ever seen one IRL, considering a Nissan Navara is the same truck with the same engines for £15K less

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

White trash burgers have atrocious taste and are also poor. Color me shocked.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>burgers
            >Mercedes pickup
            >not the literal definition of moronic poor person vehicle
            I'm honestly quite surprised it didn't sweep the market, you'd think all the workie types would jump at a chance to drive a "Mercedes" pickup, but I suppose with such a strong price markup and the fact it was literally a nissan underneath shone through the Mercedes badge on the front to even the dumbest small buinsess owner

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Poor people don’t buy new. They buy whatever used are on the market.
            Honestly I want to buy used, too. It just makes me feel like a sucker throwing money away on a new car. Bought my MK VI new and it didn’t enhance my enjoyment beyond any of my other vehicle purchases at all.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Poor people buy new because they don't have 5 grand liquid to buy a decent used car, but they can scrape up 500 quid to make a depost on a new car

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

the X-class wasn't even sold in the US so burgers had nothing to do with its failure

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I’m assuming it wasn’t sold in the U.S. because people a lot smarter about marketing strategy than I calculated it as a bad idea.
            I see the logic because burgers do have atrocious taste. You can’t say they (we) don’t.
            I guess I’m answering my own OP question, but I understand they’re pretty rare in Europe too (am I wrong?)

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

it wasn't sold in the US because the kind of people here who would want a mercedes luxury truck are already buying horribly overpriced G wagens

3. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

insurance is expensive and they are really big for something that's not an SUV

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

They're low, man, nice looking cars.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

one of the best modern bmw designs, at least for a 4 door model

4. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

That’s cool but a 15k C6 moggs it

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

you can barely find a decent (manual) C5 for 15k, anon, much less a C6

5. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Low end engine option for a luxury car is probably not desirable

6. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>Why does nobody want these?
    Plastic engine, auto only, built on SUV platform, McDonald's on all 4 etc.

7. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

the 8 series is weird, i think the geniuses in the bmw marketing dept really screwed the pooch on these. they took the 6 series which was marketed as a sportier cooler 5 series, shit canned it, and tried turning it into the upmarket boomer chop top performance alternative to the 7 series. they were lilely trying to steal corvette market share and failed miserably because the C8 is amazing.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>trying to steal corvette market share
      Either a new m1 or at least a properly good 8er might have done some of that. Upbadging the 6er the way they did just made the whole company look bad. Feels like short sighted DEI marketing types are running the show.

8. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Because the 8 Series is a bloated landbarge for boomers.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I love bloated landbarges

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>I love bloated landbarges
        I do too but those are supposed to be a gaudy Lincoln or a Caddy, all part of the fun. A tasteful European land barge just seems odd.

9. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Mid-grade B58 means it can't be a viable alternative to several other cars

10. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Because it's really an upbadged 6 series (5 series coupe). Should've been 7 series based, with a V12 option.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>8GC remains as it is
      >8 3-door gets upgraded to 7 series base, gets S58/S63 engines
      They would've lost even more money on this, but this was the way forward image-wise

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>don't make 8 gc because it's pointless
        >8 coupe gets upgraded to 7 series base and an M860i variant with N73

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>N73
          >retire n63 and n73
          >make a b68 and b78 out of two b48s and b58s respectively
          >make m variants, s68 and s78

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Polar bears will die, so no

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I had a 65k budget and wanted an M4, Zl1, z06 AMG or 90s rice grails, and I found an 2015 F82 M4, perfect condition, with the crank hub swap done, less than 50k miles, perfect interior and they only wanted 40k USD. I got a $1200 Tune / Downpipe and a charge pipe and this thing makes about 550-600hp reliably. The biggest downside is maintenance costs, and it honestly doesn't sound the best of the lineup of cars I wanted, unless youre wot somewhere then it sounds nice for a bit.

If you swap the Crank hub on an S55, it's pretty fricking solid. I hear they can put about 900hp on after the crank hub. I've got 550-600 and I have no issues on leaks or heat.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>don't make 8 gc because it's pointless
          Disagree. It's an efficient way for BMW to cover off the 4-door executive coupe market with the Panamera and AMG GT 4-door/CLS

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>N73
          >retire n63 and n73
          >make a b68 and b78 out of two b48s and b58s respectively
          >make m variants, s68 and s78

Imagine a different timeline with a proper M8 with the hypothethical S78 and optional manual as a competitor to the Aston DB11

11. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Never sold in manual, should have been badged as a 630i because that's what it is and there's 110 points of lying. Also BMW's well earned reputation of dog shit reliability and expensive maintenance/repairs, and nuBimmers being pigfat.
    The real question is why the 340 didn't depreciate so much.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

> should have been badged as a 630i because that's what it is
      Why? It’s a 6 cylinder turbo that put down 450hp with a downpipe and an email.
      > BMW's well earned reputation of dog shit reliability and expensive maintenance/repairs
      Spoken like a true moron. Having to change a valve cover gasket and oil filter housing gasket every 100K miles doesn’t sound like a nightmare to me. You’re either a wrenchlet or completely broke.

12. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Are you stupid? Base model high end cars have been depreciation nightmares for decades, this is nothing new at all.

As an aside, an 840i is the b***h model of a fattened up 5 series minus 2 doors and with some extra tech. It's a silly car. Imagine you buy a $90,000 5 series coupe but a little bit nicer. You gain nothing else but 2 doors instead of 4 vs a much nicer 5 series. You could have had an M550i for the price but you wanted a slightly larger 2 door so you spent $90,000 on a stripper 8 series. It's 400lbs heavier than a 540i with the same drivetrain (that's a 3L inline 6, -40i doesn't mean 4.X L V8 anymore). An M850i is $104,000.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>It's 400lbs heavier than a 540i with the same drivetrain
      Comparing it to the G30 540i it's actually 50lbs lighter

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

I'm comparing 2023 to 2023, I don't care to do a cross-year comparison

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

2023 540i is a G30
          the new 5 series generation released this year as G60 chassis code and is even heavier I think

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Whatever man, take it up with car and driver. That was my source. I don't keep track of every new chassis code, I drove an M550i at a BMW M day and left in my E30 with no desire to buy the (extremely fast) but crazy expensive BMW. I'm not a late model expert or anything. I just know what I saw at the dealership and the specs I read online.
            https://www.caranddriver.com/bmw/8-series-gran-coupe/specs/2023/bmw_8-series-gran-coupe_bmw-8-series-gran-coupe_2023/427631
            https://www.caranddriver.com/bmw/5-series/specs/2023/bmw_5-series_bmw-5-series_2023/430366

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

that's the specs for the 840i Gran Coupe which is a 4 door car
            the 840i coupe is 3902lbs per edmunds

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>gran coupe = 4 door
            >coupe = 2 door
            lel for real? BMW is dumber than I thought. I didn't realize that's what these designations meant. I thought they were just calling it a "big coupe" not inventing a new meaning for coupe (it's a 4 door now not a 2 door)

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

luxury "coupes" that are actually 4 door sedans or fastback style hatchbacks have been a thing for years now
            they even make crossover SUV versions

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

They call the hatchback SUV a coupe too? Frick me. LOL

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I wish more than anything that they brought the proper hot hatch BMWs to the U.S. as something other than a Mini.
            Minis are just hideously cartoonish and my VW GTI is just starting feel a little juvenile for a guy pushing 40.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Post the proper 1 series

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

God this is like waving candy in front of a diabetic. Why didn’t I get the kind of skill set that would let me move to Europe?

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>Why didn’t I get the kind of skill set that would let me move to Europe?
            Like what lol, if anything it's europeans moving to the US (or finding remote jobs) because they get paid better, especially tech guys

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Right. Moving to Europe from the U.S. is generally harder for a litany of reasons, which makes having the proper skill set very important.
            “Tech” is an incredibly saturated field everywhere but it’s still a helluva lot more mobile than a law degree.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Freedumbland pays better for basically every skillset. Doctors make like 3x Euroland.

The ackthual rich ppl in New Arabia (Yurop) though, they are like so far extremely removed from the majority of common Euro folk (dirt poor), it's hard to imagine rich Eurogays as anything except the ultimate extreme pinnacle of sociopathic evil predators who have climbed to the top 0.0001% of the food chain.

So unless you're GatesBezosMusk level rich, Eurolife sux diQQQ

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

You forget that the cost of basic living in the U.S. is out of line with most of the western world.
            Want to live somewhere you won’t get murdered or beset by hicks? You have to live in an incredibly ritzy neighborhood. Want basic healthcare? That’s tens of thousands of dollars for a small family.
            Want to go anywhere at all? You have to burn incredible amounts of gas or fly.
            Europe has much better infrastructure and you don’t need to spend crazy amounts of money to live like a human being.
            Not saying Europe isn’t more expensive but the U.S. is basically a third world country with a credit card.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>Want to live somewhere you won’t get murdered or beset by hicks? You have to live in an incredibly ritzy neighborhood.
            Only true if you live in a major coastal city like Seattle, New York, most of the Bay Area in California, and so on. If you go to a suburb/exurb of a B tier city like Sacramento, Portland, or Olympia prices are more reasonable. In flyover country it's much cheaper even in major cities.
            >Want basic healthcare? That’s tens of thousands of dollars for a small family.
            Only if you have a shitty job, any government job and most corporate jobs in major industries will give you decent healthcare as part of your benefit package.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Like I said, if you don’t want to be beset by hicks.
            No insurance company pays for a concierge doctor service, which is the only way to avoid third world-level Black person and white trash “physician assistant” and “nurse practitioner” care.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>$90,000 on a stripper 8 series.
      >that's a 3L inline 6, -40i doesn't mean 4.X L V8 anymore
      They're seriously selling a the 8 series, a massive $90,000 coupe/sedan, with a 3L I6? And there's no available V12? This is almost as bad as the AMG 63 having a 4 cylinder.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>AMG 63 having a 4 cylinder.
        God I hate this world.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

like other anons have said, it's more of a 6 series replacement than a successor to the old 8 series
        it's not that huge either, much smaller than a big coupe like a challenger

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>it's not that huge either, much smaller than a big coupe like a challenger
          I mean I'm just spending 30s googling here, but I'm not seeing "much smaller". I'm seeing a 2023 840 being 191" long and a 2023 challenger 197.9" long. 8" is hardly a lot when it comes to 4,000lb cars. The curb weight of the 840 is listed at 3933lb, so it's lighter than a V8 challenger and a little heavier than a 6cyl challenger.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

It's no wonder you can drive through a nice neighborhood and find more luxury trim trucks than luxury sedans.

13. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Driving a CPO luxury vehicle looks extremely pathetic and low class and it's also financial suicide keeping one on the road.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>driving cpo
      how else would I, an Arabian, get access to white pussy?

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>picking up a '22 m340ix on Thursday
      why u gotta call me out

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Oh frick you're one step below that. You're buying a base model CPO luxury vehicle lmao. That's about as ethnic as it gets.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Based choice, anon. New is for absolute suckers.
        How much that set you back?

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

39k after trade in...
          I've been driving an escape 2.0 ecoboost for the past 7 years and have had enough of that

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Nice, anon. I’m still a little too much of a israelite to drop that kind of scratch on anything that isn’t an investment, but I’ve got my eye on a 2017 3-series for $25k. Probably pulling the trigger on it this week.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Implying buying new is a sound financial decision?

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Compared to buying something used with a horrific depreciation rate and a brutal cost to run? Frick yes. There's a reason why these are generally considered "lease only" vehicles.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Fair. I wish I didn’t have the kind of commute that makes leasing impractical. Still, I managed to pull 320k out of my e90 with minimal fuss and it’s still going just fine, one shitty suspension experience aside. Just being halfway responsible about preventative maintenance seems to go a long way.
          I’ll never spend more than $30k on a daily driver just on principle. Wife’s Mercedes SL lasted just about as long until her sister totaled it. Cars last a long time these days.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Consider yourself lucky. For every experience like yours there's 1000 horror stories. Also a e90 is fairly not old and only at the start of Germany's downfall.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I’ve heard that exact same mantra since the e36 was new, anon. As far as I can tell, while that’s likely true for the 6-series and above with all the bells and whistles that can break, I’ve never known anyone with a 3-series who actually took care of it (except for the old 318 with that unfortunate early I4) to have any more problems than an average car.
            I suspect that reputation comes from people with multi-owner beaters and people who transitioned from a Civic or something.

14. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I'm happy with my E46 M3. Not really interested in 'modern' BMWs to be honest.

15. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

It's too wide

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Is it wider than a 4-series?

16. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Im super biased because I love these, and the 8 series 840i is much better than a 340i, no contest.

The main reason is bmw didn’t clearly show the value over a 4 door 5 series to explain the massive price difference.

>these cars are all all CLAR but the 8 is closest to the 5 and the 6 is closest to the 7, believe it or not
    >the 8 has the carbon fiber core from the 7 to reduce weight significantly
    >initially bmw was going to launch an i8 mk2, X8, and 8 series with black logos as an ultra luxury mini brand and use Rolls stuff to spread cost but it never happened becuase electric vehicles were so far behind schedule the concept was dropped
    >theyre 4 inches smaller than a 5 series and a lot smaller than a 7 btw
    >it has Multilink on all 4
    >interior is a strange mix of super high end stuff (crystal shifter) and 5 series stuff which is nice but confusing
    >technically all BMWs are 4 door cars and can’t race in FIA GT3 without a waver, which someone pointed out itt.
    >grand coupes are 65/35 front rear and lower seated than sedans. It’s a nice thing if you can’t have 2 doors but want the experience. It outsells the 2 door

In a world where BMW’s are all cheap inside and floaty luxury cars the 8 series is the only good one imo. Very good deal used

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Also some odd things
      >the back seat in a 2 series is more comfortable for adults
      >the interior is super quiet
      >the mid grade stereo is better imo
      >don’t get X drive, it deletes the m sport suspension
      >it gone after this generation bc coupes don’t sell and XM SAVs are the normie vehicle of choice

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>the 8 has the carbon fiber core from the 7 to reduce weight significantly
      >it has Multilink on all 4
      These are really the only two that come close to justifying the fact that it costs over $30,000 more than a 340i imo. I still don't see how this thing is worth $90k for the 6cyl model when you could get an M550i which is better in every single way for the same price.

Also some odd things
      >the back seat in a 2 series is more comfortable for adults
      >the interior is super quiet
      >the mid grade stereo is better imo
      >don’t get X drive, it deletes the m sport suspension
      >it gone after this generation bc coupes don’t sell and XM SAVs are the normie vehicle of choice

>bigger car that costs $90k for a base model has some more tech features
      oh boy

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

The spine is carbon fiber and it won’t rattle after 80k miles. It has more sound proofing and more leather. It had mutlink on all 4 and its a much nicer car. And that’s not considering any tech .
        Don’t be a moron.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

M550i melts its own cooling lines bro. Where you been the last decade ?

The 8 series is as nice as bmw can build them. 5 series with more carbon fiber and more premium materials and more sound deadening.

8 series is nicer. Is it worth $50k more? Most didn’t even know the difference bc nobody wrote it down anywhere.

If you knew the difference is it worth it?

Only if you’re not middle class and you can swing that bill. I know several guys that drive them and some are writing it off thru work and the other is a CEO of a major company.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

The spine is carbon fiber and it won’t rattle after 80k miles. It has more sound proofing and more leather. It had mutlink on all 4 and its a much nicer car. And that’s not considering any tech .
          Don’t be a moron.

More sound deadening and nicer leather are luxury features, not "it makes the car objectively better" features. A 911 GT3RS has mid leather and no sound deadening, is it a worse car than a Carerra?

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

It is if you aren’t on a track.

I know some people buy GT3s and drive them around town but they’re dumb and wasting allocations.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>you could get an M550i which is better in every single way
        heavier, worse weight distribution, only comes in xDrive
        at 3900lbs the 840i is light for its class which means better handling and less wear on brakes and tires
        I think it has like 15 inch brake rotors with 6 piston calipers which are way overkill for its power and weight, should make casual track days no problem at all

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Also way more reliable. That B58 will last for a while but the N63 will start taking a shit before 120k miles.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

He’s just a poor gay, he will never be at a track and never understand the issues and fixes that are required.

He will also never sniff an N63 or B58 so he will never know what misery an N63 is vs one of BMWs best inline 6s ever.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>poor gay
            >issues and fixes that are required.
            Sounds like you're the one with poorgay mindset. People who buy these cars new don't keep them for long enough to worry about that, and being high end cars, they aren't designed for anyone but the first owner's enjoyment. Remember how shitty maseratis were 15 years ago? Where they depreciated like a stone and cost a fortune to keep long term? That's how high end cars like M5s and 850s are now. It's not that they can't design a trouble free turbo V8, it's that they just don't fricking care.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

S63tu4 is probably the most trouble free twin turbo V8 production engine ever made. don't lump in the M5 with these low trim N engine 8 series shitboxes.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

he's talking about the issues cars run into when driving on a track, not long term maintenence and reliability issues
            the fact you don't understand that only proves the point more

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

No one is driving a 2,120kg, $100k+ luxury land-barge on the track except complete morons. Buy a race car for $30k and spend $70k on a nicer daily.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

It’s smaller then a 5 series mid size sedan by 4 inches and it’s mid engine with an emphasis on handling and fun.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>at 3900lbs the 840i is light
          at 3900lbs the 840i is light
          >at 3900lbs the 840i is light
          at 3900lbs the 840i is light

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

My claim was it's light compared to other GT cars, like the Lexus SC or S class coupe. It's only 150lbs heavier than the lightest BMW with the same drivetrain (M240i) despite being much more luxurious. Whine all you want but basically every performance car these days that's not a Porsche or a tiny roadster is pushing 4000lbs.

No one is driving a 2,120kg, $100k+ luxury land-barge on the track except complete morons. Buy a race car for $30k and spend $70k on a nicer daily.

If you only plan to do 2 or 3 track days per year, why bother buying a race car, storing it and towing it to and from the track when you could just drive your BMW?

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Well deserved for getting an automatic E90.

17. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Overpriced, generic, soul less, doesn't excel at anything and no one thinks you're that wealthy for buying a BMW these days.

Pretty much encompasses everything wrong with BMW right now.

I can guarantee if they actually followed the old "ultimate driving machine" mantra and pumped out cars that were fun to drive, and excelled in their class, and made them desirable just like their cars before 2006 then the price would reflect that.

18. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

They look ugly. Do they come in a manual? Really only interested in manuals.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

They do not come in gay

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>Do they come in a manual? Really only interested in manuals.
      No, because no one would buy one in manual, even you

19. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I’m taking a christler 300c over any germmutt land barge.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

The 300 is literally an obsolete German land barge with an American Fischer price interior.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

well no one ever accused you of having taste or brains

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *