bmw e39 is my new dream car, but with every year of me being poor, chance of finding a well maintained one is getting slimmer

bmw e39 is my new dream car, but with every year of me being poor, chance of finding a well maintained one is getting slimmer

Ape Out Shirt $21.68

Tip Your Landlord Shirt $21.68

Ape Out Shirt $21.68

1. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

For me, it’s e36 or bust. First car imprinting and all that. But they are getting old enough to start to be priced as collectors items rather than old cars, I’ll probably never own one again

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Most all used cars once they get old enough flatline to 4k to 6k depending on make, model and condition. Which is why we see older Merc and BMW 70-100k cars at 6k-8k, along with everything else. Take a lot more dollars to bring it back to like-new than others cars but deals can be found. Same thing happened to older Camaros and Mustangs, we bought those as our first cars because you could find them for 700.00 to 1200.00 as a 20yo. They were the cheapest cars on the lot. As time went on it wasn't used car fodder anymore, they became collector cars. Older BMW pre-bullfrickingshit will be the same, mark my words.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

e30s were like 3-3.5k for 6cyl coupes a few years back
        now almost 3 times that
        frick off REEEEEEEEEEEEEE

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>Convertible variant of a car that is known to snap in half.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

No one said it had to be rational or practical. I just remember the good times, taking a nice long crooze with the top down late night on the i5. Coming home from Spider-Man 2 with some bros, getting that top down, and letting it rip on the empty freeway. Fun times, man. Now I drive an unexciting goypod and all the magic is gone

2. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Had the chance to get one this year but ended up homeless during that time and it sold before I could talk any sense into my family

3. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I have mine.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

fricking swagger homie. clown shoe z3 is a big flex

4. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

How can you be too poor for an E39 unless you're underage and still going to school or bangladeshi or some shit

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

I'm Polish

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

So what's your excuse then

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

I don't have 30000 zł

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

What's that in real money?

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Dunno, who cares. On the german market a rust free, manual 2,2-2,5 with TÜV, registration and everything starts at 2k€ if you don't mind some mileage.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

I don't have 30000 zł

How biedny are you? A clean E39 should be 20k, unless it's a V8 model. I paid 25k for my E46 and it's pretty much the ultimate non-M3; 330i, 6 speed, M-Sport, no X-drive, well maintained, no rust and everyone still tells me I overpaid. And finding an E39 like that would be easier and cheaper because there were more well equipped 5ers than 3ers.

What's that in real money?

~$7500/€7000

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

An E39 that won't break you is a straight six model. Which no one wants cause muh M60

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

OP never said he wanted a V8. There are tons of cheap 520-525 around in europe, enough manuals too. They are generally cheaper than E46 with similar spec. V8s were not as popular here and honestly not that sought after unless it's got a manual and the full M-package

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Are you stupid? Every time a 530 comes up it sells instantly because everyone knows it’s not half the headache of the v8 that’s not even much faster

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

don't those straight six engines like to randomly yeet their oil pump sprokets?

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

No only at constant high RPM like in a drift car.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

That's the V8

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

it's the M54B30 when you keep it in high revs
            https://www.bimmerworld.com/SpecE46/GSR-M52-M54-Four-Bolt-Oil-Pump-Shaft.html
            https://www.achillesmotorsports.com/Achilles-Upgraded-Oil-Pump-BMW-E46-Z3-Z4-M54-M52TU-p/11-am-uopr-m54.htm

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

it's the M54B30 when you keep it in high revs
            https://www.bimmerworld.com/SpecE46/GSR-M52-M54-Four-Bolt-Oil-Pump-Shaft.html
            https://www.achillesmotorsports.com/Achilles-Upgraded-Oil-Pump-BMW-E46-Z3-Z4-M54-M52TU-p/11-am-uopr-m54.htm

has it right, the only thing the V8s are known for are the nikasil cylinders in the M60 getting eaten by bad fuel (not a problem anymore as all affected engines are dead), and the shitty timing chain guides on the M62.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Did the E39 ever get the M60? I thought it was M62 only in those. M62 is kinda dogshit anyway, so no loss for me tbh.

first number is basically class/size, 2nd and 3rd are supposed to be engine size
            so a 118d is a piece of shit, and so is a 518d, but a 130i is better than a 330d, both being better than 320i, which is interm better than a 320d cus its not a diesel

That makes sense thanks

>2nd and 3rd are supposed to be engine size
            ACSHULLY the latter numbers are supposed to denote what size engine the power is supposed to represent when naturally aspirated. It's some turbo autism that BMW liked to do ages ago for some dumbfrick reason, a very good example is the E23 745i, it had a 3.2 litre and later 3.4 litre turbocharged engine, the power approximately equivalent to a 4.5 litre naturally aspirated engine of the time.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>Did the E39 ever get the M60? I thought it was M62 only in those. M62 is kinda dogshit anyway, so no loss for me tbh.
            E39 only got the M62 and M62TU. The M62 isn't really dogshit, it just has that one glaring issue. They're really popular for drift cars, and some people make a hybrid M60B44 engine using an M62 block and M60 heads. Highest avaipable displacement (bar the alpina blocks) w/ the good timing setup. Obviously you wouldn't do that, but if a 540i comes up for sale and it has proof of the timing guides being changed, I wouldnt turn my nose up at it. Sounds leagues better than the M5x, too, though I am biased towards the V8 soundtrack.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

And I'm biased towards the M60, I just liked it a whole lot due to being much better engineered than the cost skimping M62.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Agreed. Part of the reason bought this one

https://i.imgur.com/YbXUify.jpg

[...] has it right, the only thing the V8s are known for are the nikasil cylinders in the M60 getting eaten by bad fuel (not a problem anymore as all affected engines are dead), and the shitty timing chain guides on the M62.

out of an 840ci. Supposedly the S62 crank fits too, so very temped to have it bored and stroked to the same 4.9 as the S62, but that is very much the least of my concerns.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

I have a stupid dream that I'll never realize that when the M54 in my E46 ever spins a rod bearing or something, I'll replace it with the Alpina 4.6 M62

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

At that point I think I'd just go whole hog and ram an S62 in there, but yeah, I get what you mean. I think the same about UZ swapping my mx5.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

good e39 that you can still use as daily is around 8k€.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/rjdntZo.jpg

Dunno, who cares. On the german market a rust free, manual 2,2-2,5 with TÜV, registration and everything starts at 2k€ if you don't mind some mileage.

Try reading. Beaters start at 2k, at about 4-5 you’re already looking at pretty decent examples

5. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Save up a bit more, you'll get there anon. I believe in you!
    Have a pic of my old E38 750i V12 for inspiration

6. 2 months ago
    Anonymous
  7. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Why would you want that old piece of shit? Just buy a mclaren senna instead.

8. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Buy a shittily maintained one and fix it up. As long as there's no rust and it's not been smoked in, it's fixable.

9. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I put mine where it belongs.

They have constantly some issues and all of them are clapped out by now. Rust is a battle. Electronic gremlins are shit. Everything is made out of plastic and its all brittle and breaks when you look at it.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

i can fix him

10. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

get shitbox one. Im neet now nad i have '02 wagon m54b25 with over 600k km on the clock. I have this car for like a year now and i only do oil change and oil filter gasket

11. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Imagine being poor and STILL wanting a money pit. You have a hard road ahead lol.

12. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Can someone redpill me on the difference between BMW models? From the outside I have no idea how to talk to BMW guys about it. They seem like cool cars but I'm entirely clueless. It just seems like a massive nest of minor differences.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

some are larger than others
      some are older than others
      there's a bunch of model and trim variants

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

first number is basically class/size, 2nd and 3rd are supposed to be engine size
      so a 118d is a piece of shit, and so is a 518d, but a 130i is better than a 330d, both being better than 320i, which is interm better than a 320d cus its not a diesel

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

That makes sense thanks

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

That makes sense thanks

>so a 118d is a piece of shit
        Nope, it's the smallest BMW with 2-liter 4cyl diesel which is kind of okay for a smaller and lighter car at city speeds (I've driven one).
        >and so is a 518d
        The same diesel in 5 series (much larger and heavier car) is absolutely not acceptable though. I've also driven a 5er with the same B47 2 liter diesel (but with more hp boosted out of it).
        >but a 130i is better than a 330d
        People usually tell that 6-cyl 1-series had worse weight distribution than 4-cyls, so this one is debatable.
        >than 320i, which is interm better than a 320d cus its not a diesel
        Debatable again. It's a known meme that diesel engines made by BMW are for some reason more reliable than their gasoline alternatives.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>diesel engines made by BMW are for some reason more reliable than their gasoline alternatives
          >n47

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>unironically defending diesels
          kys poorgay

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

see

Also BMW diesels usually have way more torque and a bit better performance figures than gasoline engines with the same index ("20" in this particular case)
            And I tell you all that as a diesel hater, all my cars are gasoline and I probably won't buy a diesel ever.

I might also sound like I'm defending BMW, but I probably won't be buying any either.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

shut your mounth bawd

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Take your meds schizo.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

1 series thru 8 series.
      1 thru 4 series will be the smaller track cars and to some degree the 5 series with M5. After the 5 series the cars become larger and more luxury oriented as opposed to track or road racing. All BMW is performance, but once you begin moving up the line they top out at luxury cruisers that are very quick. Don't see too many 7 or 8 series running daily Nürburgring Nordschleife, mostly 1 thru 4 series. Tons of 3 series. They are all turbo now beginning 2012. A lot of turbo 4 now. The N/A inline 6 isn't standard any more. Turbo means turbo issues, waste gate issues, higher crank case pressure and high pressure fuel syst. All pressures increase dramatically, and with that, maintenance. Unless snowy areas I'd stay away from x-drive AWD as it's just another maintenance item and makes car heavier. More electronics, amenities means more weight and more fail points. Seek out more basic versions when possible. Camaro used to sell a stripped down Z-28, roll up windows, no a/c, no radio, they built it for track guys that don't want a bunch of electric seat/window lift motors. Take all those motors out and weigh them from a standard car, elec motors are heavy. Do we really need mirrors that fold in?
      Any pre-2012 inline 6 will be a solid platform. Or just buy new, lease 3 years and dump it. But if buying to own, upgrade and project car, go with older N/A cars. Or who knows, maybe you got deeper pockets to maintain aging turbo systems. If I was going to keep a turbo car it would have to be something worth the added hassle and I'd want to see real gains, like TT MkIV Supra. There's base model, and base model with Turbo, it's much faster. Unlike new turbo cars, they are still on the same level as the older inline 6, just turbo now. So what changed other then you now have turbo maintenance?
      And avoid BMW V-8, tend to leak oil. Avoid older premium ones like this 6 series, second from the left, the two 3 series on either end are good cars.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

How to spot an Ameritard

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

What? Having a fricking garage? A 3 bed two bath brick home with a big back yard? Sign me up! I like it here.
          Can you carry where you live? Most anywhere you want? In the car? Or you have to put up with Black folk and eat their shit?

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

You can tell it's an amerilard car by that nasty thing in front of the centre console. This anon should be ashamed to even have it, let alone put this pic out there for people to see it.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Nope, by posting only about the models/versions imported to the US.
            In Europe most of (or at least a lot of) the BMWs on the market are turbodiesel and rental-spec cars

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Why the hell do people have an entire fleet of shitboxes instead of just buying one nice car

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

They're probably not all his cars.
          And why would someone want to put useless miles on the nice car by taking it grocery shopping or sitting in traffic?

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Then buy a beater.
            There really is no reason, however, to have 6 shitter cars like I see some people do.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>buy a beater
            >no not that beater!!
            My E92 is my "beater."

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>useless miles
            wut

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

yeah they're like useless calories

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Ever being one deep on transpo is questionable and if you have different flavors you like then multiples keep all the miles from accumulating on one ride.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Those are all nice cars.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

the solution to unreliable vehicles is multiple unreliable vehicles.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

I daily drive a n55 turbo car stock with 153k miles and its been fine. just replace the leaky gasket areas (ofhg, valve cover) and you get a decently reliable sporty turbo car.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

i have to do the oil pan gasket on my n54 soon frick i don't want to. might change the rod bearings while the pan is off too

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Eh frick it just let it leak. is it any measurable amount between changes? the rod bearing issue is way overblow imo. fcp euro made a video changing rod bearings on a n55 135i that had like 160k miles with an upgraded turbo. the bearings were still serviceable and changing them wasnt really necessary. just change your oil on time and better hope the last owner(s) also did

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

It used to be much simpler. Just 3/5/7. Then bmw decided they didn’t want to compete on price with the 3 series, so they just split the cheapest model off and called it the 1 series. So the cheapest bmw you could buy changed from the 3 series hatchback, to the 1 series. Then the 2 series is just spun off of the 1 series. So really it’s just 3 series all the way down and bmw making artificial distinctions to further milk you chuds for you money.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

there are actually 2 2 series
        yes frick you

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/Nyxl3KL.jpg

[...]

Oh frick, even three 2-series and two 1-series simultaneously

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

there are actually 2 2 series
        yes frick you

13. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Good taste

14. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

these are 1000€ cars
    if you want a really nice one 5k at most

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous
      • 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>€
        >california
        come on at least make an attempt.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

At least make an attempt at what? Show me these $1000 E39s in great condition lol

15. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>not a wagon

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

the wagons are heavier, uglier, and have gay air suspension so basically you're a homosexual congratulations

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>an opinion based on personal feelings
        discarded
        next time post your breasts

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>weight is a personal feeling
          Ok lady

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>here's one point that's not
            >deboonked
            Post breasts.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

I drive a bmw wagon
            fact is that the sedans are better
            cope all you want kid

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

So you expect us to believe that you're a homosexual?

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>I drive a bmw wagon
            So why did you buy one instead of a sedan you drooling moron if sedans are better
            >fact is that the sedans are better
            >same footprint
            >less space

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>and have gay air suspension
        ??? What a moronic thing to say, are you a bot?

16. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Also BMW diesels usually have way more torque and a bit better performance figures than gasoline engines with the same index ("20" in this particular case)
    And I tell you all that as a diesel hater, all my cars are gasoline and I probably won't buy a diesel ever.

17. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I want one but it has to buy a manual msport 540i.
    I already have an e60 with the m54, don't need two cars with the same engine.

18. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

post ur wagon
    u won't
    >captcha: XM0GG

19. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Why do wagonnerds get offended when people rightfully call wagons frumpy and ugly? Just accept that you like ugly cars and be grateful it's not a fricking hatchback.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>muh feels again
      Post breasts.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Cars should look beautiful. Post your breasts, cutie.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Agreed sister, wagons are sooo 1980s, they remind me of those ugly wood panel cars that my grandparents drove, crossovers are so much cooler!

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Both are gay as frick. cuvs are just this generation of parents' wagon.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Yeah and sedans are for your grandparents

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

no, that's wagons lol

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Nah, every old fart is driving in a malaise barge or a Town Car

20. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I used to have a '95 525i with a 5 speed, it was cool but I sold it for a 135i and i never looked back tbh. I had my fun with it and sold it to someone who could take care of it. The nu turbo shit is just so damn fun and theyre affordable

21. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

for me, it's the E30. which brought this enraging memory to mind

>talking to boomer coworkers about cars
    >one boomer was talking about his old mercedes
    >bring up that I used to have an E30 325i
    >just refer to it as an E30 since they're distinguished by chassis code
    >they're all confused by what an E30 is
    >pull up a picture
    >oh that's a 325i anon
    >they won't listen when I explain chassis codes
    >they all just agree with each other and change subject
    >fricking boomers

22. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

can anyone ID the wheel?

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

bmwstylewheels.com

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

http://www.bmwstylewheels.com/bmw/373

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog
        Put in chassis code, make and model, select wheels, match then up

i did think it was 373 yet the tyre says 245/40R19? but its a 20" wheel?

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

http://www.bmwstylewheels.com/bmw/373

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog
      Put in chassis code, make and model, select wheels, match then up

23. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Just buy a cheap one with a decent interior and paint then fix it up.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

it's worth it to pay more for paint that's still in good condition too as paint jobs will be way more than the difference

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Pretty much. I don't frick with bad paint or rekt interiors. As long as you aren't a wrenchlet everything else is pretty easy to fix.

24. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Make sure to get the 530i.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>I don't think a manual belongs in any e39
      opinion discarded.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous
        • 2 months ago
          Anonymous

opinion discarded.