Bought a used Toyota at 180k miles, everything runs well and it seems like there's no problems with the transmission.

Bought a used Toyota at 180k miles, everything runs well and it seems like there's no problems with the transmission. I checked the ATF and it's this colour. I don't know if the ATF has ever been changed or not. I'm not sure if I should change it or not.

Stratton Oakmont Wolf of Wall Street Shirt $21.68

Thalidomide Vintage Ad Shirt $22.14

Stratton Oakmont Wolf of Wall Street Shirt $21.68

1. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>A used Toyota
    WHAT YEAR? WHAT CAR? moron.
    The ATF is fine, maybe a bit burnt. You could drive on it for a good while longer, but change it by 200k.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

ATF looks like this after 1,000 miles. nothing to be worried about. it will stay that burgundy colour for the rest of its life, just change it at the recommended intervals.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

>ATF looks like this after 1,000 miles.
        The brown shitstain on the bottom makes it look like it's contaminated with something. I'd change it for peace of mind.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

It looks a bit more brown to the eye. Like a rusty red brown.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

>ATF looks like this after 1,000 miles.
            The brown shitstain on the bottom makes it look like it's contaminated with something. I'd change it for peace of mind.

sometimes there's a bit of corrosion inside the dipstick tube that leads into the troony. this can cause some of the fluid picked up by the dipstick to take on that brownish hue, but overall that fluid doesn't look horrible.

best bet is to just do a flush and put new fluid in there. if you want to be extra thorough change the filter and clean off the magnets too.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Nah don't flush, just change.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

>what is lighting

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Why chance it? The car has 180k miles on it, so might as well just change it for peace of mind.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

2005 Camry

ATF looks like this after 1,000 miles. nothing to be worried about. it will stay that burgundy colour for the rest of its life, just change it at the recommended intervals.

I don't know when it was last changed.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

then change it out, not a bad idea to swap all fluids when you buy a car with questionable heritage. unless it came from a reputable dealership and they gave you that info, which they didn't in this case.

2. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Doesn't look that bad. Always good to do fluids when you take ownership of a car.

3. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

my ATF fluid has looked like that for the past 150,000 miles

4. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Looks like healthy atf fluid anon. Just change it when you get it. I change mine every other oil change and it's a brownish pink

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>I change mine every other oil change and it's a brownish pink

not sure if trolling

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Why would I be trolling? 350k miles on original transmission

5. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Don't sweat it, troony fluid ain't no thang, doesn't get dirty for shit and degrades pretty fricking slow.
    But you might as well change it now because - why not?

6. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

its still got some red to it but not too much so the fluid has not been change recently but is not bad either.

at 180k, it looks like its been changed within 50k miles. this would suggest that this has been decently looked after.

7. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Stop posting your tampon

8. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Looks fine. Start to worry when it smells bad

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Just do a pan drain and refill it with Maxlife. WS is stupidly overpriced.

When does ATF not smell bad?

9. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

OP here again.

I'm scared to change my transmission fluid. A lot of mechanics say to not change the fluid if it's been well over 60,000 miles since the last change. I also read my maintenance guide for my car, and it doesn't mention anything about changing the ATF under normal driving conditions. It just says if towing to change every 60,000 miles under special maintenance and I highly doubt this car was a tower.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

moronic boomer mechanics working on old shit maybe. There's absolutely no risk with changing ATF on anything remotely modern. Keeping the fluid fresh will prolong the life of the clutches and improve shifting. The hardest part is setting the fluid level since you need to warm the transmission to a specific temp before checking the level. Basically follow the procedure non-issue. Or just drive it into the ground.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

I have a liquid pump. Could I put the pump down the dipstick, suck it out through the pump. Then measure the amount the came out and put the same amount back in? The ATF level is fine as it is.

Or maybe I could do that twice, pump it out. Driving it awhile again and then repeat.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

The problem with only filling what you take out is that it is probably already low. I would still follow the level check procedure afterwards.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I didn't answer your question. Yes, doing multiple consecutive pan drains is the best way to freshen it up. Max life is only like $35 a gallon.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Why Max Life? My manual says to only use Toyota T-IV ATF. And since I won't be able to get all the fluid out without a full flush, wouldn't mixing different kinds of fluids be a bad idea? It probably has the Toyota fluid in it, either the original fluid or the dealership it came from changed it with the OEM fluid.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Just do a fluid exchange yourself. Here is an example on a Toyota.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Because it's fully compatible meeting the required specification, it's high quality, and it's 1/4 the price? Mixing is a non-issue in this case.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Also don't get me wrong. I have two Toyotas sitting in my driveway and I will fork over $$$ for some things from them like their coolant which is very good stuff. The ATF and gear oil however is overpriced nonsense, you're better off getting it elsewhere. I have been doing pan drains on one of my vehicles every 30k , there was zero difference when I switched it to maxlife in the behavior of the trans, I have probably put 50k (out of 150k) on it since the switch. The maxlife however seems to come out looking better than the WS ever did every time.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>I'm scared to change my transmission fluid.
      Don't be, there is a lot of mystical nonsense and superstitions around transmission fluid, especially in automatics. One of the things people fear is that the transmission could be so old that pieces of gunk might be the only thing holding it together, and that detergents from fresh fluid might remove those then cause transmission issues. In an 05 camry that's not going to be a problem, in a MUCH older car it MIGHT be a problem in an automatic if you had it flushed which is much higher pressure, but I doubt it.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

It's just boomer "logic" to avoid accountability

>Transmission was fricked through lack of maintenance
      >Develops fault
      >Shit better change the fluid
      >Fault doesn't magically disappear
      >Transmission breaks
      >It WaS tHe FlUiD

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Total boomer bullshit. Transmission fluid flows through areas, changes temperature constantly, leaks and breaks down over time. It will do it all far slower than an engine does with engine oil, but transmission fluid is NOT lifetime fluid and does need changing.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>All the replies are people dunking on boomer superstition
      kek

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

At 180k it is NOT worth risking a fluid change on a torque converted automatic transmission. The clutch material suspended within the ATF is acting as a friction modifier allowing the transmission to operate normally even when its worn. Clean ATF will very likely cause it to slip. Just leave it alone at this stage in its life.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Boomer tale.
        Changed the troony fluid on a 200K km X5. Shifted like butter afterwards. And that’s a complex 8 speed moving a heavy SUV with a torquey inline 6.
        I’m sure a Toyota transmission would be ok.

10. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

That's the color of ATF

11. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

you need more fiber

12. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Congrats you all just got trolled by dilating fluid.

13. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Thread hijack time, gonna go check out a 2004 Camry tomorrow with about 220k miles on it. It seems to be in pretty good shape in the pics, but that obviously doesn't tell much. Anything to look out for? I've heard of the stories of the valve cover gasket bolts being stripped if engine has overheated, but it doesn't seem that prevalent, will still try the bolts just in case if I can. It has the 2.4 engine with an automatic transmission. As far as I've heard, pretty bulletproof cars, but anything special to look into while test driving/inspecting?
    Car doesn't have a service manual apparently, which isn't a good sign, but it has only had two owners and the previous owner bought it in 2007. If all seems good and I get it, I guess it would be a good idea to get all the fluids changed.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

have a nice day

14. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I think you should see a doctor. That doesn't look like a healthy neoveganal discharge

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *