Bros, sometimes I want a Chevy Caprice so badly.

Bros, sometimes I want a Chevy Caprice so badly. How realistic is it to find one of these in decent shape for a decent price?

The Kind of Tired That Sleep Won’t Fix Shirt $21.68

Ape Out Shirt $21.68

The Kind of Tired That Sleep Won’t Fix Shirt $21.68

1. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

New York lost the last of its soul after the original WTC was destroyed when the iconic yellow Ford and Chevy taxis left the streets.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

The Crown Vic's stayed around until very recently. But I mostly agree

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

>vics stayed around a good decade after production ended
        they're truly the best fricking cars ever made.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

Yes. The last of the great American sedans. America died when we went fwd

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

Yes. The last of the great American sedans. America died when we went fwd

Lots of places stockpiled them. I know the local police bought up more than a dozen and just put them in storage to be cycled in after the existing cars were worn out. They were running them as police cars up until maybe 2 years ago, some had LPG conversions too.
          They just don't make em like they used to eh boys?
          *sips*

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

>vics stayed around a good decade after production ended
        they're truly the best fricking cars ever made.

No they didn't.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

The last ones were retired in Nov 2023 according to the internet. But those might have been driven by autistic NYC cabbies. Not sure how common they were up until recently

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

They were rare as frick by the mid-2010s.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Most places have laws on how old cabs can be. A few Vics lasted well past their expiration date due to covid extensions and some other shit IIRC

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

Thank God they’re all fords and not Chevys

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Some, but not a lot. I mostly saw Ubers in NYC.

Washington DC seems to still have a decent amount of Crown Vic taxis getting around though, in varying condition however.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

It's realistic to adjust your standards and find a clean Panther platform car.
          If you're located in the south where there's lots of retirees, and you don't mind waiting months/a year for the right car you might find one, but expect it to be easier to find Roadmasters and even Fleetwoods in clean condition rather than Caprices because most have been severely ratted out.
          I actually happened to be next to a Caprice Classic in traffic yesterday, and while it had been forever since I saw one it definitely was in trashed condition FWIW.

I was in Miami about a month or so ago, and I was more amazed by the fact that they had a huge fleet of yellow Crown Victoria taxis in good condition than I was by all the generic supercars there. It felt like how it probably was seeing Checkers still rolling around in the '90s.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

This but the Checker. Pretty much in continuous service in NYC from 1958 until 1999.
      What I'd give for them to come back with modern drivetrains.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

>modern drivetrains
        For what fricking reason?

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

Because he had no father and is afraid of carbs and distributors

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

Because a carbureted smogged Chevy 305 putting out 90 horsepower for 13mpg on a good day, backed by a 3 speed auto is unacceptable for a modern car operating in modern traffic. Try not being a zoomer who thinks V8 = high performance in your next post.
          Slip that new Duramax I6 and a 10sp auto into it and it would be great.

2. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Very unrealistic, you will probably find many in bad shape though. There's a certain group of melanin-rich individuals who love these cars and particularly love to modify them.
    You're better off getting an Impala of that era, still more of them out there that were just driven by seniors or that are ex cop cars (be prepared to do work on anything that old, no free lunches bucko).

3. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

I have a pretty decent and solid 1991 9C1 which was in storage for 15-20 years.
    I also happen to be on the other side of the world. I've got around US$18k into it overall.
    From what I've seen a decent one in the US these days will got for US$10k+

4. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

The 90s looked comfy. What happened, bros?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Black folk happened

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

>pretending Black folk didn't exist in the 90s
        Rodney King.

https://i.imgur.com/4SBzPTp.jpeg

The 90s looked comfy. What happened, bros?

They weren't. It was the era of neohippies and the resurgence of whitebashing politics. There's a reason why Clinton is called the first black president.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

As a kid who grew up in the 90s, I can say it was comfy. Not sure things are better today? Are they? 0 to 60 times are certainly better in the current year. But also we seem to be much more degenerate now.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

>things were better when I was a kid, now that I'm an adult things suck
            Big think

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

the small brain take is "nostalgia for your carefree youth makes the past always look better because it reminds you of a time without responsibilities or worry"
            the big brain take is "every successive generation is, in fact, growing up into a shittier world than the previous one and things were better when you were a kid despite how much tom the dancing bug tells you it wasn't"

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

>every successive generation is getting worse
            Yes. Which is why I mock 90s nostalgiatards, because the 90s were already DEEP into the decay and the only people who think they were great can't remember what life was like before the 90s. We're already seeing a transition into Y2K nostalgia, with people saying the post-9/11 post-Patriot Act era was the best era.

The biggest brain take is that everything within living memory has been absolute garbage, and the last time things were actually genuinely good were when 'gay' meant 'happy'.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

>every successive generation is getting worse
            Yes. Which is why I mock 90s nostalgiatards, because the 90s were already DEEP into the decay and the only people who think they were great can't remember what life was like before the 90s. We're already seeing a transition into Y2K nostalgia, with people saying the post-9/11 post-Patriot Act era was the best era.

The biggest brain take is that everything within living memory has been absolute garbage, and the last time things were actually genuinely good were when 'gay' meant 'happy'.

>the big brain take is "the world is ever-changing and many different things are getting better while many other different things are getting worse, among many different gradients, all across the breadth of culture and civilization"
            nta but fixed that for ya

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *