Calling all EV owners of

Please help me settle a dispute. Can an EV be totalled simply by taking a mallet and screwdriver and puncturing the battery on the underside? Pls try and show that it's not possible.
>I don't want to try
Thats telling

It's All Fucked Shirt $22.14

DMT Has Friends For Me Shirt $21.68

It's All Fucked Shirt $22.14

1. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

You won't get anyone to try because that will, in fact, total an EV

2. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

theoretically you can defeat a tank armed with only a screwdriver
    doesn't mean it's smart

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

EV's dont have a crew of 5 soldiers inside

3. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

There's a metal plate below the battery to stop shit like this from happening. You'd need a lot more force than a mallet to puncture it.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Probably not, since the underbody steel is pretty thicc and armored to prevent puncture when running over shit and collisions and what not.

Pls try irl and report back, like in old days of DA

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

this is kinda dumb innit. I think it'll total your car if you do this to your windshield. if you don't think so, try it irl and report back.
        Also ev gays probably wouldn't total their car by doing that with their soi diet arms

4. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Probably not, since the underbody steel is pretty thicc and armored to prevent puncture when running over shit and collisions and what not.

5. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

An Audi / Porsche EV has about 12(?) cells so if you punctured one you could just replace the one and it wouldn’t total the vehicle.

I think Tesla would get fricked but I don’t know the details (or care, they’re too cheap inside for me)

Also most EVs have an 8-10 year battery warranty, so no issue until that is up.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Talk is cheap, come back with pictures

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

someone on here said that insurance is too skittish about a repaired battery and would rather total it, hence the apparently high insurance costs for EVs

6. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

You could definitely drill through it, but you had access to the underbody and a drill you could total any car.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Where is 1 hole you could drill under an ICE vehicle that would total it in 10 seconds?

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Engine, transmission, etc

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

What sort of shitbox are you driving where parts and labor for a transmission replacement is more than the value of the car? Even an 8k car wouldn't be totalled by that. Even so, you can often jbweld small holes in the block or transmission housing.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Most cars aren’t worth the cost of a new engine or transmission + labor. And under one minute + a sharp 1/4” bit + access to the underbody and I could total any car, fricking guaranteed.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Doubt, you would at most damage the engine or transmission, only a few grand when average used car price is well over 10 grand

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

literal jb weld can fix this.

jb weld isnt fixing your EV.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

This, I repaired a trans fluid pan leak with epoxy and the mechanic I took it to for a trans fluid swap got pissed and said he wouldn't do it unless I let him repair the entire pan for $800. The pan itself cost $40 and the fluid $40, so I did the total repair myself for $80. When I told them no he raged and overtightened my gaskets to make it leak. I bricked his fricking windows for that. I had the leak repaired for years and then he wanted to act like it was inadequate and would start leaking again, and suddenly it started leaking again right after I had him inspect and give me a quote. I knew he overtightened it because I checked every screw for torque while removing them and 3 were 10x the normal torque which cannot happen without purposeful human intervention.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Gas tank.

the wire harness 🙂

wrenchlets dont know shit...

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Gas tank.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>drilling a hole in the gas tank totals the car
          You serious?

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

ok a hole in the gas tank and a match, happy now? point is if you want to frick shit up, it isn’t hard

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I have fixed cars with pretty severe fire damage before, never an EV though, and I doubt I ever will

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

dude

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

What do you want me to tell you, bro. ICE cars don't have 2000lbs of flammable lithium integrated into the chassis.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Yep, then just use a lighter.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

If you drop a lit match it does

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Yep, then just use a lighter.

ok a hole in the gas tank and a match, happy now? point is if you want to frick shit up, it isn’t hard

Bots. Also:

I have fixed cars with pretty severe fire damage before, never an EV though, and I doubt I ever will

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

the wire harness 🙂

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>accessing wire harness in 15 seconds and not just leaving a single obvious solderable cut
          >wire harnesses total a car
          How's life on Mars?

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

what is the point you are attempting to convey?

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

He is doubting that you could total a car via the wiring harness in 15 seconds. Asking how life in Mars is has the connotation that your scenario isn't realistic.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

strut mounts (also works on an ev)

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

what? how are strut mounts going to total a car?

do wrenchlets really?

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

you might be able to fix it but your insurance sure as hell won't like it. ultimately "totalling" a car is just up to what an insurance provider wants to pay out. any replaceable part of the car could be replaced, provided the car is worth enough but compromise the frame of a unibody car and no matter how much chop + weld + moronation you wish to go through you have a car that's either running and driving insurance fraud or a safety nightmare. and honestly if you're autistic enough to be willing to fix the unibody of a car then nothing could total your car

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

What moron homosexual world do you live in? Collision and body shops are drowning in insurance work much more intensive than a hole in a strut mount, and how fricking basedfingered are you that fixing what you own comes off as autistic?

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

again, no, wrenchlet.

you said you can drill into ice car to total it, which is more difficult than you seeem to know.

a drill into the battery pack can and will set off a fireworks show that will total the EV.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

The exhaust, like where I drilled your mom last night.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

lol you just made the car louder, how is this going to total anything?

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Yes, anon, that will total a car if your car is worth 20$

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Why "1 hole" lmao? If someone had access to the underside of your car and had a screwdriver, they could fricken total it guaranteed.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

10 seconds though broski, cause it's not your car

7. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

absolutely

That's why many minor accidents in EVs became fatal. The battery got punctured and instantly turned into an inferno

8. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>EV shills get real quiet when you ask them to take a screwdriver to the undercarriage
    Makes you think

9. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

its not possible to penetrate the battery with a screwdriver, you'd need a rifle or a magnetic drill

10. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I believe it, my niece backed over a berm and landed on a decently sized rock in her model 3. Must have been going only 10mph tops but the puncture to underbody totalled the car

11. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

why not just drill into the battery case to let in water etc or drill some more and puncture a cell and watch the fireworks?

12. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I'm pretty sure there's a decent guard around the battery packs because if one gets punctured and exposed to water, it'll combust into a full blown lithium fire.

You would not total it by puncturing one alone, the batteries are small cells all connected. Puncturing one means you'd just have to replace that one. However, if you punctured one and it got exposed to water it would catch fire and burn the rest. So kind of, but you'd have to get through the shielding. A better tool would be a drill and spray bottle.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>I'm pretty sure there's a decent guard around the battery packs because if one gets punctured and exposed to water, it'll combust into a full blown lithium fire.
      The "guard" is one extra layer of thin sheet metal that makes up the rest of the floor, and there is enough moisture in the air to cause lithium to combust anywhere outside of the desert.

13. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Just tried it. Can confirm it works.

14. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Isn't that going to literally blow up in your face if you actually manage to do it?

15. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

You gotta jack up the EV in order to get some swinging room to hammer a hole in the battery

Meanwhile you can just use side cutters and a lighter to cut the fuel line to light up any ICE into a crisp

EVs 1, ice 0

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

cordless drill you wrenchlet...

no mattery how you slice it, wrenchlets dont know shit about cars and tries to make up senarios that simply are not true.

16. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Regardless of what it does to the car, do you not understand how bad of an idea it is, for you, to hammer a screwdriver into a gigantic lithium ion battery?

17. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Ramset? a decent air pellet gun? a gun?

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Video games where cars catch fire and explode when you shoot them are finally realistic!

18. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

OP, you reminded me of something
    look up the Rivian 'unipanel'. apparently, Rivians can get totaled easily through a minor rear end collision

19. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

There's an easier way to blow up the battery.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *