can anyone redpill me on diesel engines for passenger cars?

can anyone redpill me on diesel engines for passenger cars? why are they so rare outside europe and whats it like driving one as a Daily driver?

Unattended Children Pitbull Club Shirt $21.68

Black Rifle Cuck Company, Conservative Humor Shirt $21.68

Unattended Children Pitbull Club Shirt $21.68

1. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Diesel put a bad taste in people's mouth cause of the piss poor diesel engines from the 80s like the olds that was in everything and the anemic detroits in gm's. The diesels in german stuff are usually phenomenal on both power and fuel economy though and they last a long time. Every truck should just have a diesel in it honestly. A diesel option in jeeps and s10's would have made them an even greater vehicle. Running an off roader on homemade biodiesel and cooking oil is one of the greatest assets to have as an enthusiast

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

huh, the 80s was a long time ago tho, most of us werent even born yet. Why havent they started using them again? Considering they get better mpgs than gas and are usually (i think) more reliable.

Most people also prefer diesel engines, so its basically just a matter of manufacturers not offering them in new cars

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

boomers were already soured due to poorly converted oldsmobile diesel engines kabooming. It was starting to make a comeback for younger people, like with mazda introducing SkyActiv-D, but then dieselgate killed interest again

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

diesel engines are more expensive, and modern gasoline hybrids are basically superior to diesel engines for passenger cars in every single way. No reason to get a diesel for mpgs when a hybrids will do the job 10x better

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

you are now aware of hybrid diesels, which can achieve 70 mpg

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Great

Point us to the company that makes one that's a car and not a EMD.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>No reason to get a diesel for mpgs when a hybrids will do the job 10x better
          So the petrol engine is so superior you have to couple it to an electric motor to get it to compete?
          (I hope you recognise sarcasm)

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

> So the petrol engine is so superior you have to couple it to an electric motor to get it to compete?
            Do you drive a naturally aspirated diesel? Or do you need to couple it to a turbo to compete with a Chevy small block?

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Nice false equivalence

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>compare n/a diesels with n/a gassers
            >compare turbo diesels with turbo gassers
            He's got a point, you know?

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>He's got a point, you know?
            No. Turbocharging has been a part of the diesel induction system for decades, and, because of the need not to run a stoichiometric mix, doesn't require sophistication that goes with petrol turbocharging. You might as well invoke carbs vs fuel injection

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Yeah, they require direct injection level of sophistication, because that's what they do. Nice self-own, gay.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>Nice self-own
            I see you're an idiot. As diesel is not a volatile fuel it's always required injection, ever since the first engines.

Petrol is inherently less efficient as you have to make the inlet operate at less than atmospheric pressure to restrict the oxygen in the charge to keep it stoichiometric at anything other than WOT; with diesel you just inject the amount of fuel that's required.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Oh, now it's about
            >muh efficiency
            Nice goalpost moving, gay.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Yes. It always was in my exchange. It was all in answer to this point originally.

diesel engines are more expensive, and modern gasoline hybrids are basically superior to diesel engines for passenger cars in every single way. No reason to get a diesel for mpgs when a hybrids will do the job 10x better

trying to add an electric motor to a petrol engine to achieve diesel levels of efficiency.

Follow the links upwards (there are a few moronic tributaries that go nowhere along the way)

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

(cont)
            and I'm out now

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

> trying to add an electric motor to a petrol engine to achieve diesel levels of efficiency.
            Trying to add a turbo to a 7.3L engine so it can make more than 180hp and compete with a n/a gas engine half as big.
            >Follow the links upwards (there are a few moronic tributaries that go nowhere along the way)
            Fanboy mad his engine needs a fan blowing air into it or it can’t make enough hp to go up the hill at the speed limit
            Diesel gays are people who never drove a diesel. It’s like all virgins are tit fans because they never had sex and realized that breasts serve bi purpose.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>Most people also prefer diesel engines
        Not in the US they don’t, doesn’t help that diesel is usually quite a bit more expensive than even premium gas here. Are you euro?

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

>huh, the 80s was a long time ago tho, most of us werent even born yet. Why havent they started using them again? Considering they get better mpgs than gas and are usually (i think) more reliable.

In the 90s high pressure injection for diesels became a thing. It vastly increased performance compared to the old diesels of the 80s.

Combine this with a turbocharger and diesels were spitting out more torque, 80% of the power of a N/A petrol engine and vastly better fuel economy. This is before tuning them. Because they have a turbo, the power increase potential is vastly greater than any factory N/A configuration. BMW's lineup in the early to mid 00s is a classic example of this.

American manufacturers didn't invest in this technology and were on the back foot. Volkswagen skirted some emission regulations during some recession era funding cutbacks and dieselgate happened.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/TN7F6O4.png

can anyone redpill me on diesel engines for passenger cars? why are they so rare outside europe and whats it like driving one as a Daily driver?

>Danger
      What a stupid sign. Diesel fuel, which is a meme and doesn't exist, is basically inert. It doesn't fricking burn. You have to make a real effort to light it, like thermite or THC oil.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Its a solvent and can melt shit, but so can gasoline.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Everything is a solvent to something else, even fricking water is a solvent.
          Go put two sex toys next to each other, they'll fricking melt each other if it's different types of rubber.

Back to my point, fricking stupid sign.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>its a solvent
          so is water, dumbass.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>from the 80s
      There are only a handful of people alive who were of a car-buying age back then. The actual answer is the german diesel scandal when it turned out that all the supposed advantages of diesels were based on cheating emissions.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Diesels fricking suck, it is literally a meme. They are for slow shitty vehicles, like garbage trucks, which is why no famous sports cars or top tier race cars use diesel. Modern diesel engines are emissions equipment messes. And even without being a tree hugger homosexual: diesel emissions are repugnant. To the point Europe has much worse air quality than US cities. You need to regulate them or else you end up in a China-tier smog shit hole. People b***h about EV batteries being more valuable than the car itself, wait until you see diesel emissions systems that break constantly. Modern diesel literally has bacteria that grows in it and ruins engines, because it can't have high sulfur content.

They fricking suck. When you look at amazing engines and innovation in engine technology, none of it is diesel. Gas = 2JZ, diesel = fat trucker who drops off Temu shipments.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Nothing you wrote was correct. Nothing.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>Europe has much worse air quality than US cities
        lmao

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

I had a navara with a common rail yd25, and I removed ALL emission systems (DPF, EGR, cat). The exhaust was crystal clear.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

A well tuned diesel never rolls coal. The only reason any diesels blow out plumes of smoke is cause people want them to

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Or broken injectors/turbo, people forget that injectors only last like 200k km.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

You must have some shit injectors or fuel

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

If you lug any diesel engine or jab the throttle hard enough before the turbo spools up it should smoke some. Also good to have some when at WOT as it helps keep things lubed and cool.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

I have a 330d, first diesel car I've ever owned (260hp, 430 lb ft). It feels very powerful in day-to-day driving because the power curve gives you a lot of shove from 1500-2500rpm, which is where you are 95% of the time. In that rev range it feels equivalent to a turbo petrol with about 350-400bhp.
        HOWEVER
        the other 5% of the time when you want to push it it falls apart and you just get noise. There's legitimately no point taking it past 3-3.5k RPM.
        If you aren't interested in ragging your car and you just want an engine that gives you plenty usable power in daily driving then it's perfect, but it really isn't a performance engine. A 200hp (either turbo or NA) petrol car is more rewarding to drive hard.

This 100%.

https://i.imgur.com/TN7F6O4.png

Frog here. Diesel engines are a fricking bane. They're literal goycarts engines. Awful sound, pathetically low red-line, flat power curve, unreliable fuel injection systems, unreliable emission equipment. Frick Diesel engines, they're the reason all the 2000's french cars are extinct: there's no reason to work that hard to save a glorified tractor from the scrapyard where it belongs.
        Anyone who claims he enjoys driving a Diesel is a forklift operator.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

S10 had a diesel option in the 80s that got like 40MPG, people still preferred gas

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Diesel put a bad taste in people's mouth cause of the piss poor diesel engines from the 80s like the olds that was in everything and the anemic detroits in gm's. The diesels in german stuff are usually phenomenal on both power and fuel economy though and they last a long time. Every truck should just have a diesel in it honestly. A diesel option in jeeps and s10's would have made them an even greater vehicle. Running an off roader on homemade biodiesel and cooking oil is one of the greatest assets to have as an enthusiast

And for that matter even Scouts had a Diesel engine that could do high-20MPG no problem. If IH had one more year of light line truck production with the planned next generation pickup and Travelall engines the entire US market would have had a different taste for diesels.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

People prefered gas cause people were already scared of the olds diesels and didn't think an anemic inline 4 would be good news. Its not like they were trying both out and making a careful evaluation. People just went "huh? Diesel? Whats that? I think I read about a dee-zul in the newspaper article on lemon laws. Well nuthin beats the good ol 2.8"

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

And indeed nothing else in the category beat the good ole 2.8

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Australian Jeeps have diesel options. no idea why American ones don't. common rail diesel with turbo on my 2010 JKU.

I always wanted a Jeep Wrangler. yeah I know. the car is an absolute piece of shit on road. but off road ... well it needs a lot of mods like 33s and at least a 4" lift kit, maybe a better sway bar, some fox shocks would be nice, a Dana 45 diff... hmm might have to get a new Rubicon now.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

4in lift should be enough for 37s, 33s are basically stock size.

We had diesel Jeeps but uptake was low, Australia doesn’t have DEF so diesel still makes sense there. Once you go DEF diesel just doesn’t make sense unless you drive 50k+ miles a year.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Over here I saw a guy swap a mercedes om 5 cylinder diesel into his xj. Apparently even with the lift and real chunky tires he still averages high 20's for mpg.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

dont forget that diesels also keep itheir gas mileage while driving on their top speed, which means better range and less stops for fuel. Euro diesels can make around 30 mpg easily at 120+ mph

gas engines meanwhile make 10-12 mpg while on their top speed.

manual diesels are the most optimal cars for highway driving.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

boomer i met recently gets 30-32 highway mpg with his 7.3 PS, has a range of over 1000 miles with just his factory optioned 50 gallon tank no fuel cell

2. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Diesel missed its chance in the US because of a few shitty domestic engines back in the day as covered earlier in the thread, and then dieselgate when it was starting to recover. Modern diesels need to carry reliability killers like the magic catpiss and other emissions shit so they're less attractive than before too; why take the diesel when you can take a gas hybrid in a commuter?

3. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>be me
    >Commute 77km over and back each day with 1.6 tdi SEAT
    >At least one day each week have to drive up to 200km each way for site work
    >Can get away with refueling once per week
    It's pretty good

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Also diesel is usually cheaper where I am

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

last time i drove past a station 95 was 1.7??, 98 and diesel were 1.999

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Not here. Op, diesels are overly reliant on the DPF system; it will literally shut it down. Diesel fuel gels in the winter, it's a dollar more a gallon negating any fuel savings. Plenty of torque, but no high revs to get off the line quickly. Old diesels had a switch on the fuel pumps to go to manual mode, it'd run until out of fuel, no battery required. These designs are long gone.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>km
      Is that a little? A lot? Also 1.6 sounds ridiculously tiny, why are you guys so poor?

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>driving daily for hours
      >not having a V8 to listen to
      Sad.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>Commute 77km over and back each day
      >At least one day each week have to drive up to 200km each way
      >with 1.6 tdi SEAT
      Jesus Christ move closer or at least take the train mate, don't subject yourself to this kind of humiliation. That's fricking grim.

4. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Basically lots of torque and power down low in the rev range. It's also more economical.
    Kills the fun but for a daily it's alright.

5. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

unlike in europe, gasoline prices have consistently been cheaper in america than diesel.

6. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I bought a new manual diesel Jetta back in 2012. Was an awesome DD as I drove long distances working for the RR. It was slow as frick, 0-60 in 9 seconds but the 40+ mpgs were a god send. And the interior was a very comfy place to be.

Then dieselgate struck and I traded it back. I paid $26k new and got back $21k when it was all said and done. I used that cash to buy my current Tacoma.

I still wish they made diesel cars it would be my next car purchase but all the new cars are super gay so I stick with my Taco. Hell a diesel Taco would sell like hotcakes but the cat piss requirement ruined modern diesels.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

i kinda want to buy 2000s diesel Merc, convince me not to

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Owned by boomers, and they know what they have.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>40+ mpgs were a god send
      And the current production manual transmission gasoline-powered jetta (list price $21k) gets 55+ mpg on the highway, which is what the old golf 1 diesel (43hp,0-60 in n minutes lol) got.

But your comment neatly illustrating why diesels have gone extinct.

7. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Diesel is the superior fuel. Modern diesels need that DEF and EGR to be sold so that is a hurdle to be crossed with deletes at some point in their lives. Also have to understand that diesels love to be driven long distances and have weight behind them, short city trips are about as bad as you can be to a diesel so buy to your needs.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>short city trips
      That's what hybrids and EVs are for.
      Then again most old taxis were diesel and those did exclusively city driving fine.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

The taxis were never shut off and that helps keep the heat in them.

8. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

You know how everyone complains about ecoboost turbotard being unreliable? True chads know turbo diesels are just as gay. And non turbo diesels are turds so that leaves you with a nice na gas engine.
    If you pick any car/truck with a gas and diesel engine and calculate cost per mile the diesel dosnt win until 200k miles or so. Exception is towing over 10k pounds.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

turbo diesels aren't unreliable though

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Which brand turbo diesel would you be comfortable owning out of warranty? Vw? BMW? One of the domestic half tons? The only ones with a decent reputation are the 3/4 ton pre emission and the new ones that are a 10,000 option on 60,000$ trucks.

9. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Burgers hate diesels even though they would be the most ideal motors for their long commutes.

10. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I think the problems are common problems with cars in general. From my experience it's because diesel is a sootier fuel so all the anti emissions stuff gets clogged up quickly and because of planned obsolescence everything is as difficult to work on, remove and clean as possible. Families by diesel SUV's and for the school run and doing errands and the DPF gets clogged up fast.

11. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Tbh I don't know why some countries/regions outside Europe don't use diesel powered cars so much.
    Except utility vehicles and trucks, diesel engines are (speaking of German diesel engines) really reliable.
    I live in East Europe, so most vehicles sold here are imported from Germany,France,UK etc.
    They have a lot of mileage, interior wear over the years, but the engines are mostly okay even after 15+ years of heavy abuse.
    We are talking about 500,000+ km at least

12. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Diesels are fantastic, phenomenal mpgs and longevity compared to gas. Too bad governments have spent the past 40 years killing it.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Kill governments

13. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Robust, mechanically elegant, efficient. Renewable diesel fuels are already at pumps and they outperform traditional diesel in setane score and particle outputs. We have everything available for a turnkey-solution that would reduce the carbon impact of driving severally. It requires no large infrastructure nor sociological change.

14. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

EU created laws and regulations in the early 90s to incentivise diesel ownership over gasoline, because it was thought at the time that diesel produced less pollution than gasoline. People only bought them because that's all they could afford.
    For a daily commuter to just own and putt around town in, a 21st century diesel passenger car is not going to feel appreciably different than a gasser. A bit quicker off the line, but past 20mph is gonna be slower. Better fuel mileage, but higher purchase and repair costs. Sound like shite. Smell like shite. Diesel fuel costs more outside of Europe because of the aforementioned taxes and regulations designed to disincentivise gasoline use.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>Diesel fuel costs more outside of Europe because of the aforementioned taxes and regulations designed to disincentivise gasoline use.

You're right about everything except this. The reason Diesel is more in the US is because our refineries are set up to crack crude into more gasoline than diesel so less of it is made. Fuel taxes are about the same too on both unless you're running a Semi in which case you're filling out a form 2290 and equivalent in state taxes.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

European nations specifically put upwards of €2 a gallon in taxes alone on gasoline that isn't on diesel. There's a reason why gas costs $8-9 a gallon there whilst diesel is closer to 6. The EU explicitly mandates memberstates place a sin tax on gasoline but not on diesel.

lmao

Yes. Cope, europeasant

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>Yes. Cope, europeasant

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

yes, oilfields exist in Alaska. and?

lmao

Diesels fricking suck, it is literally a meme. They are for slow shitty vehicles, like garbage trucks, which is why no famous sports cars or top tier race cars use diesel. Modern diesel engines are emissions equipment messes. And even without being a tree hugger homosexual: diesel emissions are repugnant. To the point Europe has much worse air quality than US cities. You need to regulate them or else you end up in a China-tier smog shit hole. People b***h about EV batteries being more valuable than the car itself, wait until you see diesel emissions systems that break constantly. Modern diesel literally has bacteria that grows in it and ruins engines, because it can't have high sulfur content.

They fricking suck. When you look at amazing engines and innovation in engine technology, none of it is diesel. Gas = 2JZ, diesel = fat trucker who drops off Temu shipments.

I'm not an amerimutt but every single person who travelled or lived in both the US and Europe knows this. European cities have a mazout smell, even discounting the cigarettes smoke it is much less fresh than your average amerifat city.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>The EU explicitly mandates memberstates place a sin tax on gasoline but not on diesel

Diesel is ~10% more expensive than petrol where i live

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

This c**t is absolutely spot on except maybe the last part:
            >Diesel fuel costs more outside of Europe because of the aforementioned taxes and regulations designed to disincentivise gasoline use.

https://taxfoundation.org/data/all/eu/gas-taxes-in-europe-2023/
            The information is freely available online. And remember, this is 2023 after the EU started raising the tax on diesel after the dieselgate scandal. Prior to then the disparity was even higher.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

I get it, but the final cost at the pump is dependent on taxes, but there is a lot of other factors too.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

This c**t is absolutely spot on except maybe the last part:

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

[...]
        https://taxfoundation.org/data/all/eu/gas-taxes-in-europe-2023/
        The information is freely available online. And remember, this is 2023 after the EU started raising the tax on diesel after the dieselgate scandal. Prior to then the disparity was even higher.

Don't forget the push to diesels was because they produce lower CO2. Then particulates became a thing, so the policy reversed.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Man, I'm just trying to say that

EU created laws and regulations in the early 90s to incentivise diesel ownership over gasoline, because it was thought at the time that diesel produced less pollution than gasoline. People only bought them because that's all they could afford.
          For a daily commuter to just own and putt around town in, a 21st century diesel passenger car is not going to feel appreciably different than a gasser. A bit quicker off the line, but past 20mph is gonna be slower. Better fuel mileage, but higher purchase and repair costs. Sound like shite. Smell like shite. Diesel fuel costs more outside of Europe because of the aforementioned taxes and regulations designed to disincentivise gasoline use.

wrote about costs, not taxes or policies, and that's the only thing that I can't fully agree with in his post because in some places diesel is a bit cheaper at times and that's all an average normalgay is able to care about.

15. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I have a 330d, first diesel car I've ever owned (260hp, 430 lb ft). It feels very powerful in day-to-day driving because the power curve gives you a lot of shove from 1500-2500rpm, which is where you are 95% of the time. In that rev range it feels equivalent to a turbo petrol with about 350-400bhp.
    HOWEVER
    the other 5% of the time when you want to push it it falls apart and you just get noise. There's legitimately no point taking it past 3-3.5k RPM.
    If you aren't interested in ragging your car and you just want an engine that gives you plenty usable power in daily driving then it's perfect, but it really isn't a performance engine. A 200hp (either turbo or NA) petrol car is more rewarding to drive hard.

16. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Ever think about why almost every single piece of serious machinery uses a turbo diesel engine? They are phenominally reliable often exceeding 15.000 hours and more before needing a rebuild. They also provide great fuel economy and a wide powerpand with a lot of torque rise. The problem is that car manufacturers don't innovate for the sake of reliability. If they're not developing something because of government cucking, they're developing novelty bullshit that makes passenger cars continually less reliable. The best Diesel you can buy is a Tier III pre DPF and DEF with commonrail injection and a VGT. Engines peaked in 2005.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Just buy the new diesel and take that stuff off. Best of both worlds.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

This cannot be done in Europe and cucked US states. On my south american shithole they only test exhaust clarity so you can do whatever you want.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

I don't think OP is going to looking at some heavy machinery to buy, anon. Read his post:
      >diesel engines for passenger cars

17. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I like them, they usually need emissions deletes/tunes but after that they are mostly reliable and make good power.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *