Can I be a SQL monkey as my career?

Can I be a SQL monkey as my career? I'm learning SQL at my tech school and I love it over other programming languages I learned

Mike Stoklasa's Worst Fan Shirt $21.68

DMT Has Friends For Me Shirt $21.68

Mike Stoklasa's Worst Fan Shirt $21.68

1. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

AI already does that sorry

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

all the lazy boomers have parked themselves in database roles for this exact reason, so youll be competing with dinosaurs that have cemented themselves into their retirement ticket, and

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

How about when they die off. My company is pretty small so doubt they want to implement AI

2. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Yes. Data engineer, data analyst, or data scientist. Engineer is etl and data modeling, analyst is building charts and dashboards, scientist is heavy on statistics, ML models, etc

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Data Analysts sounds like what I want to do. Im going to ask my managers if I can build dashboards with the data we get

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Look into PowerBI if you're an MS shop and you're just starting out. Tableau, Metabase, Looker (Google owned will probably be dead in a few years because Google is worthless) are some of the other ones in the space.
        If you've only used relational Dbs like Mysql and SQL Server, have a look into Data warehouses like Snowflake once you've learned one of the analytics tools mentioned earlier.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

Thanks so much bro

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

FWIW I'd learn and master DevOps also not just Data Analyst/DB Admin.

As for DB platforms SQL Server, Postgres, sqlite and MySQL. One at a time.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

too far behind the times already old pal.
          azure data wrangler, data warehouse, Lakehouse, spark jobs, etc. has all been moved into MS Fabric. along with Power BI.

here's the new workflow you can do with this. takes an analytics team of 5 down to 2.

ingest from URL, db conn string, csv insert whatever.

extract to lakehouse

use pyspark and integrated copilot to write transform functions on data

create as views

push to PowerBI

have copilot build your slicers, charts, sparklines, filters, etc. can even apply style guides and do predictive analytics on data while it is live.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

pbi is part of fabric, and Snowflake is the leader in the warehouse space by far. My recommendations are not behind the times at all lol

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

There was an update 30 seconds ago

3. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

A friend of mine got a job like that a a big insurance company. He likes the work but the corporate politics make it a nightmare. Stay away.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Only men working there huh?

4. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

You can be DBA, they're very sought after. But SQL is only first step there, you'll need to master db administration.

5. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

if you understand gayform 1-5 and can do the transformations to the structure of data, go ahead.

they say practically speaking anything above level 3 (or was it boyce-codd gayform) is not needed, but if you specialize in that, someone is gonna ask you to do that.

and good luck with that!
    😀

6. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

funny bird

7. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Yes, DBAs exist.

Also, while I really hate the Dutch, and thus 99.999% of Haskell users, if you enjoy SQL and haven't enjoyed "other programming languages", perhaps try out some functional languages at some point. SQL is declarative, whereas most of what you have likely tried is imperative.

Functional languages will likely give you the most similar feel to SQL. I would probably try OCaml first, but Haskell, Clojure, etc, also exist.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

The tech school Im taking class has DBA program, but I looked at current job openings for DBAs in my area and theres nothing for juniors. Hopefully the job market gets better with the economy, but Im starting to think I need to combine SQL with other skills

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

You will need to combine SQL with other skills to some extent no matter what, but don't be dissuaded; there are plenty of potential options that don't involve loads of traditional programming.

Again, I'd definitely try a functional language just to see if it might be able to get you to enjoy programming more in general. And if it does, then you'll have at least found a paradigm that works for your brain better. From there, you could either continue down the pure, proper functional route, or experiment with languages that would allow you to apply many of the same concepts.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

Like I said here

Data Analysts sounds like what I want to do. Im going to ask my managers if I can build dashboards with the data we get

Im hoping to do some dashboarding with the datas I get, hopefully I can do some projects with SQL too

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *