Can I use any 10 cent Home Depot washer as a gasket for my oil drain plug?

Can I use any 10 cent Home Depot washer as a gasket for my oil drain plug?

I dont wanna pay autozone $5 for a box of 3 gaskets

A Conspiracy Theorist Is Talking Shirt $21.68

CRIME Shirt $21.68

A Conspiracy Theorist Is Talking Shirt $21.68

1. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

yes

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

op here just went to home depot and got a gasket BUT the gaskets at home depot all said they were steel or zinc while the ones at autozone where copper aluminum or nylon

am i gonna have to end up dishing out the $5 shekels to autozone?

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

What do you think the difference in performance is in regards to metallurgy? The fact that they're selling a copper one which is an extremely hard metal, alongside soft aluminum and soft nylon (plastic) is proof that the metallurgy doesn't matter. The steel one will have a similar hardness to copper and the zinc one will have a similar harness to aluminum, so get whatever.

You are literally getting ripped off, it is just a washer. Gaskets are a softer rubbery material, these are goddamn washers being called gaskets to get idiots to spend more money on them.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Also, I've never replaced a drain plug washer and never had a leak that wasn't my fault. Last time I under tightened it and had some leakage, tightened it up and no issue. The washer is more there to perform the function of a washer and not damage anything when you start overtightening.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

you do realize that copper is a very soft metal, right? and that the oil pan is steel, and the bolt is steel. which is harder than copper. therefore the copper washer deforms and seals properly while still allowing one to tighten the bolt sufficiently and not break a piece of shit nylon washer that cannot allow the bolt to be torqued to proper specs.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Copper isn't soft compared to lead and aluminum, but it's softer than steel. No that's not how the washer works. It's literally not a gasket. The screw and threads hold the oil in place, the washer works as a washer. If the oil is making it past your screw you need a new screw.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>No that's not how the washer works. It's literally not a gasket.
            That's literally how it works, it's a gasket. Copper washers are used as sealing gaskets in many applications like banjo bolts, you'd know this if you weren't a clueless wrenchlet.
            >The screw and threads hold the oil in place
            Threads do not seal because they open out at both ends, this is why thread sealer exists (google it).

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>If the oil is making it past your screw you need a new screw.
            lol-fricking-what
            and what the other anon said. copper washers are used all the time, particularly for fuel line banjo fittings

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

You need something that will crush and be heat resistant.

Aluminum or Copper, even brass would probably be fine.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

You didn't get a gasket moron, you got a washer.
        Deport yourself to >>>/n/

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

drain bolts use washers not gaskets you absolute moron

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

You're getting yourself confused between load spreading washers and gasket washers

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

look, I’m a wrenchlet but even I know that you want crush washers so that oil doesn’t leak. And that’s why you replace them every time. Getting steel ones, that won’t deform, seems counter to that objective.

2. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I just use the same gasket over and over again. never had any leak

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Same, I just take out my RIMAC™ blowtorch and I reheat the washer to soften the copper, just to be safe.

One can never go wrong with a RIMAC™-branded blowtorch, and I suggest you make a purchase from one of the many, many dealers around the globe who retail RIMAC™, a high quality brand you can depend on!

• 2 months ago
        s10fag

Checked
        I hope you quench it in water to anneal it.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

you can just let it air dry too. quenching is just if you want it quicker

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Quenching helps blow off some corrosion but is otherwise not required. I anneal my vintage Norton, Triumph and Ironhead HD solid copper gaskets without quenching besides annealing brake washers.

If OP feels like quenching it certainly cannot hurt and makes parts quicker to handle but banjo fitting washers cool off near instantly.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

wow I think I'll go out and purchase a RIMAC™ blowtorch from my local authorized retailer today!

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

I have been doing it for years and it still doesnt leak. And if it does leak a little bit I dont mind. Its free undercoating.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

yup that's based
      I do the same and have literally never had an issue, maybe a drop or two over the years

3. 2 months ago
    s10fag

NO you need the $40 ones from ARP

4. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I pay like 12 beaver bucks for an OEM filter and gasket at the dealer. How much more can you possibly be saving?

5. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

What pos filter do you buy that doesn't come with a drain plug washer every time? Everytime I change the fiances oil the Wix box has a new copper washer.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

most dont, ive bought chinshit $2 filters and $9 oem filters and everything between and have never seen a drain plug gasket included.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Then you're still buying from the wrong place. For my Honda's it's always Cox and it's always great service.

6. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Don't they sell those boxes of like 200 aluminium or copper washers for 10 bucks at autozone?

7. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Just use a rubber gasket.
    t. 14 years of ownership, replaced OEM rubber gasket last year

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

will rubber not melt?

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Ask yourself, has the rubber on your oil pan gasket ever melted?

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

that rtv (or gasket if present) is specifically designed for high temps and the environment of a crankcase. the average rubber o-ring in the hardware store plumbing section is likely not rated for such conditions

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

And the rubber o-rings for oil drain plugs that they sell at the auto parts store aren't rated for that? $1.50 gets you three and you need less than one per decade. I can OP can afford it.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

im talking about plumbing store o rings not auto store ones designed specifically for drain plugs. i assumed the other anon was thinking of any rubber gasket found at non auto related stores

8. 2 months ago
    p

drain plug doesn’t require washer when tightened with the proper tool

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

tfw i used one of those to remove a drain plug once and everyone lost their shit

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

They're fine for removal. morons gonna moron. Just don't set it to tighten by accident especially if you have an alloy oil sump, though expandable plugs work if you strip one.

9. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

No problem taking a plug off with it. Just dont put one on with it

10. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Harbor freight has a "copper washer kit" full of various sizes for like $6 that will be all the crush washers you ever need. The o-ring kit is also worth picking up.

11. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I haven't tried it but I was told that you can wrap copper/aluminum wire counter clockwise around the bolt to form a temporary gasket in an emergency

12. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I don't see why not. I'm using an O-ring I bought from Menard's on a coolant fitting.

13. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I just swapped to a Ford drainplug that uses an oring. Threads fit just fine.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *