"Car Talk Podcast"

WTF? Is this simply boomer logic?

Mike Stoklasa's Worst Fan Shirt $21.68

UFOs Are A Psyop Shirt $21.68

Mike Stoklasa's Worst Fan Shirt $21.68

1. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

There is only one Car Talk and both of the brothers are dead. This podcast is an impostor and unworthy of the name.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Ray is still alive. You scared me for a minute.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Well, that's a pleasant surprise. I really miss their show, though. I used to listen to it every morning.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

I used to love listening to car talk on the radio while riding around with my dad

2. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

530pm invested for how long?

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

40%, Anon. Didn’t you read the infographic?

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

40% of what?

3. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

> ah just do 10% return for 40 years
    I too remember finance 101 and thinking that 40 year voluntary saving was tenable

the idea that the options are a free existing car with no capital cost or a lease is absurd

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Harsh but a fair statement

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>40 year voluntary saving
      For real. Frick the system, I'm retiring at 55. idgaf

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Literally every person with money lives below their means. It's a lost art for consoomers. My uncle was an engineer all his life and lived in a fricking van for part of that time and a trailer for another part.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

sounds like your uncle was half a gay

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

he got pussy all his life despite being pretty ugly

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

wealthy people stay wealthy by not spending all the fricking money.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Wealthy people don't live in a fricking van

4. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>buy assets not liabilities
    Is this not an argument for financing or leasing? If you buy outright you're shovelling a lot of money into something that loses 20% of its value as soon as you drive it off the forecourt.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

So you're saying that financing somehow prevents the vehicle from losing 20% as soon as you drive it off the lot?

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Rampant inflation destroys the value of the debt anyway, it will be cheaper to pay it back later

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

This
          We wouldn't have to compare interest rates like a goyim if our government didn't print and inflate our wages and savings to shit

There's a reason civilisations banned usury and used previous metals instead of fiat as currency

Yeah, this is the big problem: investment returns only slightly outpace inflation. Unless you're a multi-millionaire trust fundee, you aren't exactly living off the interest once inflation of goods is factored in.

Don't forget that you pay income tax/cgt on investments, at a threshold rate set before we went off the gold standard

Boomers didn't have to gamble with stocks or invest in anything to be able to afford a house, 2 cars and a family all on a single income. You sound like a self loathing boot licker. Let me guess, millennial?

They also had decent women, low density and didn't have to be around browns

Never take financial advice from boomers. They grew up in what is arguably the greatest era of economic prosperity the world has ever seen and nearly half of them (-40% IIRC) are dead broke, relying off of government gibs and family members for their retirement.
          Genuinely pathetic. The same generation that could support a household off of a single income and afford a house by stuffing cash into a coffee can are the biggest mooches the world has ever seen.

This

You really shouldn't

Exactly. Boomers operated in a completely different paradigm to us. They had a high trust, self sufficient society.
          Their advice to buy a cheap car and run it into the ground may have worked for them... Because cars were cheap, you could fix it yourself, and they lasted economically long enough for repairs.
          These days, given depreciation and servicing costs, it often is more economical to buy a new car and sell it after 3 years before major servicing transpire

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>Because cars were cheap, you could fix it yourself, and they lasted economically long enough for repairs.
            They are, you can, they do.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

But then the bank takes the hit, not you.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>unironically believing the israelites are taking the loss

5. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>I NEED TO INVEST MY MONEY SO IT CREATES MORE MONEY OUT OF THIN AIR!!!!!!!
    boomers need to drop dead

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Top lulz

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

how is this wrong though? Your post doesn't make any sense

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

he is just butt blasted by he idea of fiat currency and doesnt understand that metal based economies are absolute trash.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

cool it with the antisemitism

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

This is why the Fed increases the monetary supply. The idea is to have a little inflation. We want the amount of money in the economy to roughly equal the amount of value being generated by the economy. Otherwise we'd have mass deflation of our currency

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>also zoomers
      >reeee why do boomers have so much money its not faaaaiiiir daddy gubmint make them gib gibs 2 me
      sorry not sorry zoomers. you fricked around, now you're finding out.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>barely just entering the workforce
        >nuh uh you fricked around

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>barely just entering the workforce
          Zoomers are in their late 20s. Get a job already homosexuals.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

the oldest zoomers are 27
            the youngest is 12

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

What does this image have to do with Car Talk? It's full of typos and low quality, it looks like some instagram finacebro shit not car talk material.

>boomers made investing popular so it's bad and I won't do it
      Stay poor, gayass. The game is rigged but you can still play instead of throwing a temper tantrum.

T. millennial who doesn't consoom all of my wages away, started investing in my mid 20s (when I got out of the paycheck-to-paycheck life) and now has a net worth of close to 1m because of it

6. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>yeah bucko, just drive that piece of shit everyday
    >so what if we're importing millions of third worlders into your country for profits
    >crime rates? YOU'LL BE A MILLIONAIRE IN 40 YEARS
    >So what if a million dollars is will only be able to get you a Big Mac? Think how financially responsible you were!
    I think I'll just finance and have fun

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>I think I'll just finance and have fun
      I prefer a balance of both. Keep a year of money ready for any opportunities but don't put off the fun things.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>>so what if we're importing millions of third worlders into your country for profits
      You just can't help yourself can you ?

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>You just can't help yourself can you ?
        Not at all

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

What if you just buy outright and then also use the money for fun. It's like you're trying to be moronic purely out of spiteful ignorance.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

You didn't really say anything with this post, why did you submit it?

7. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I took the blue car path. My return was more than 10%. Around ten years later I cashed out 100k for my house down payment with some left over.

Anyone who gets angry at the suggestion of saving/investing instead of buying a car that has a payment deserves to stay poor.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>Anyone who gets angry at the suggestion of saving/investing instead of buying a car that has a payment deserves to stay poor.
      how do you have money to invest if you dont already have income? how do you have income if you dont have a job to provide said income? how do you a job if you dont have a car to get to said job? yes there are SOME wfh jobs but not everyone can get those. investing is a boomer thing because the economy and its opportunities they entered was vastly different than what we have today and on top of that they are at an age where they can invest for the sake of doing it where as young people starting out cant.

8. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

both a re gay. buy the car in cash then spend yoyr savings on hookers and blow

9. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>cars have 40 year loans
    I bet a man made global war warming denialist made this image.

10. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>index fund
    >2.8 million
    Get out of my face with that homosexual shit.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

How much would you have if you picked Kmart instead of Walmart?

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Walmart is subsidized by the United States Government though the Food Stamp programs it runs. Walmart will be here even to the bitter end.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>Walmart is subsidized by the United States Government though the Food Stamp programs it runs.
          That could be said of the retail sector authorized for SNAP/EBT. It's always junk food too.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

The truth hurts. I have to admit that you made and excellent point.

11. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Saving for what? So you can buy an extra month at the nursing home when you're old? So you can "enjoy life" when your body is old and broken? Then there's "don't worry, goy, you'll (somehow) pay less taxes" yeah, right. Frick that. The mere suggestion that everyone can "win" by putting their money into the stock market is laughable.
    I have a paid off car and home, but "retirement savings", lol, no. If I live to retirement age (whatever the frick that ends up being pushed out to) I'll be doing a "Slaughterhouse 5".

12. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

this comparison is deeply flawed for a number of reasons.
    >40 years
    > muh etfs will earn 10 percent forever guaranteed
    > what are capital gains taxes
    > it totally makes sense to compare 530 a month for 5 or 6 years to 530 a month forever

ignoring all the reasons this image is stupid, the core idea is still probably correct. you are better off not paying interest where possible, and cars are big money sinks. the problem of course is cars are expensive enough that most people will be have the cash up front. And perhaps they would be better off saving up first, the reality is they probably need that car to get to work and do other adult stuff now, not in 5 years. in that circumstance they have to choose between financing , leasing , and the DA school of shitbox ownership. each has its drawbacks.

the truth is, if you are not able to do they kind of saving described in OP AND pay for a new or good used car your probably ngmi

personally I paid cash for my last 2 car purchases. I would consider financing under certain circumstances though.

13. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I'm not buying into the system.

14. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

uh investment sisters..?

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

literally 1984

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Yeah, this is the big problem: investment returns only slightly outpace inflation. Unless you're a multi-millionaire trust fundee, you aren't exactly living off the interest once inflation of goods is factored in.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

WTF??!! I'm so glad that you're not a math or economics professor.

15. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>not putting a large down payment on a mid-prize used car

16. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>if you spend money, you can't use it
    Wtf I'm shitting and pissing myself with this realization

17. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I still listen to old Car Talk on Spotify and Ray now does eBay Motors ads. I'm glad he still has money coming in but it kills me that he has to say that Black person talk "ride or die" shit.

18. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>dude you will absolutely be able to save 500 a month!
    LOL, lmao.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Why not?
      I make 5 figures and still squirrel away around $3.5k a month. Just buy store brand food, don't go out, don't drink, don't go to movies, don't pay for subscription services, etc.
      >It doesn't count if you live with your parents.
      I live alone and my mortgage and bills are only around $1.5k/mo.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

jesus christ what a depressing existence you must have

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

It could be worse.

19. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

i purposely financed my new car instead of buying it outright since I'd get 5%+ tax-free interest off the cash while the loan was only 4% (36 month term, coulda gone even lower with 24 month)

I just wish it had a normal inline4 engine instead of the subaru engine, thankfully i realize i'm too lazy to prep and drive 4 hours out to actually drive it
    The most I do is throttle drift on left turns during rainy days

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>i purposely financed my new car instead of buying it outright since I'd get 5%+ tax-free interest off the cash while the loan was only 4% (36 month term, coulda gone even lower with 24 month)
      see this entire concept doesn't make any sense to me or a lot of people whatsoever. I have no idea what this sentence means. Finance is fricking ridiculous and confusing

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

if you get a loan, you pay the amount you borrowed and also the interest charged on you
        if you put money in a savings account, you put your cash in it and the bank pays YOU interest (they themselves make a profit off using your cash to buy bonds that yield them more money than they're paying you)

pay the loan first if it is higher interest (especially credit cards that charge you 20%+ interest every year), or save the cash if it's lower (like for people who have house mortgages locked in at 2% interest or something)

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

basically because another one of anons investments has a higher interest rate than the car loan he's not actually losing any money out of pocket on the monthly payment

20. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>JUST invest and get 10% ROI for 40 years
    >trust ~~*me*~~ youngster, this line will keep going up forever, nevermind that we're $35 trillion in debt, the line will keep going up forever! it worked for me!
    Putting aside how I'd have better odds of winning the lottery, but in the hypothetical situation that it does happen, so what? I'm 70+ years old, too fricking old and blind to enjoy driving, need someone to change my diapers, but... I have $2 million in my bank account that will get taken by the israelites or some distant relatives in 5-10 years after I drop dead. Cool, I guess?

21. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Which index funds are doing 10%?

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

historically equities globally average out to 10% or higher over the past 40 years

past performance is actually indicative of future results

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>past performance is actually indicative of future results
        That worked out well for Rome.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

if you were invested and well diversified since rome then you'd be a trillionaire by now, you would have stocks in china

22. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>index fund returning 10% anually

23. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Not gonna lie, some papers gaining value over time sounds too good to be true and probably illegal

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

The paper doesn't gain value over time. The financial system creates money, not *wealth*. It essentially increases the liquidity of existing wealth in banks by allowing more people to use the same sum of dollars.

24. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

So I could've just gotten a free car instead of paying for it wtf????

25. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>10% gain month over month
    lmao what the frick man I got some free ducks to sell you

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>month over month
      It clearly says 10% annually.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

An index that consistently returns more than 50% above inflation rate is a miracle - it's structurally impossible. Yes, structurally.
        My point being the image is nonsense. Whoever made it is selling nonsense.

26. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

If it's so easy to make free money then why isn't everyone investing?

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

see

>I NEED TO INVEST MY MONEY SO IT CREATES MORE MONEY OUT OF THIN AIR!!!!!!!
      boomers need to drop dead

investing is boomershit, boomershit is le bad, therefore investing is le bad, oh no why can't I afford a car why can't I afford a house why can't I attract a gf why has this happened to me its not fair.
      you stupid frickers did this to yourself.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Boomers didn't have to gamble with stocks or invest in anything to be able to afford a house, 2 cars and a family all on a single income. You sound like a self loathing boot licker. Let me guess, millennial?

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>just give your money to some cokehead israelite to 'invest'!
        you israelites create the problem AND sell the solution to it. This is why TKD is the ONLY answer.

27. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>What’s a repair?

28. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>Don't buy new cars
    >WAAAAH why aren't manufacturers making the car I like

29. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

My fully paid shitbox is worth $530. If you put more than 1% of your salary in cars you are a cuck

30. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>wow why is thins thing that I use every day losing value as I use it?
    >it should clearly be like my burger, that increases in value as I take bites from it!

31. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Never take financial advice from boomers. They grew up in what is arguably the greatest era of economic prosperity the world has ever seen and nearly half of them (-40% IIRC) are dead broke, relying off of government gibs and family members for their retirement.
    Genuinely pathetic. The same generation that could support a household off of a single income and afford a house by stuffing cash into a coffee can are the biggest mooches the world has ever seen.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Thank you so much for letting me know not to take financial advice from my parents.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

You really shouldn't

32. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

That 2.8 million will be worth 500k in today's money at best with the fricking runaway inflation that has no signs of stopping.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>$500,000 vs $0
      I'll take the $500k, thanks kid.

33. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

just buy in cash that you have somewhere

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *