Career change

I don't really ever visit DA, I'm not sure if any of you are actually in the automotive industry or know anyone who is. But I've been a tech at a dealer for 15 years (top level, pretty much every certification I can get) I'm just so absolutely burned out on the job. I could go on a long rant but I'll get to the point. Anyone have ideas for what to do next? Wouldn't want to be an advisor and deal with people, I've had offers to be an instructor but don't really want to. I google it periodically but it's mostly just different ways to be a mechanic. I made a LinkedIn but just got tech jobs despite clearly stating I no longer want to be a tech.

Is there hope? Any Ideas?

It's All Fucked Shirt $22.14

Yakub: World's Greatest Dad Shirt $21.68

It's All Fucked Shirt $22.14

1. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Open a shop, hire technicians, train them right, have a succussful business.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Or open a performance shop. Just don't do boring shit that'll burn you out

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Too late.
        He's already burned out.
        He doesn't even want to work on his own car at this point.
        The only way to redeem his love for automobiles is to get as far away from them as possible.
        >blackjack dealer
        >hotshot firefighter
        >interpreter
        Basically anything that doesn't involve cars.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

This, yes, all of this is correct. I'm just hoping for something that my skills and experience can translate to/be useful in. Preferably still working with my hands and not at a desk. I'm sure there's jobs out there where the troubleshooting/tool skills apply that I just haven't thought of yet

>blackjack dealer
          I like your style

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/ZcKnwI8.jpg

I don't really ever visit DA, I'm not sure if any of you are actually in the automotive industry or know anyone who is. But I've been a tech at a dealer for 15 years (top level, pretty much every certification I can get) I'm just so absolutely burned out on the job. I could go on a long rant but I'll get to the point. Anyone have ideas for what to do next? Wouldn't want to be an advisor and deal with people, I've had offers to be an instructor but don't really want to. I google it periodically but it's mostly just different ways to be a mechanic. I made a LinkedIn but just got tech jobs despite clearly stating I no longer want to be a tech.

Is there hope? Any Ideas?

https://i.imgur.com/BwcoCyt.jpg

So after highschool I went and got an associates in automotive tech, worked for a couple shops and started to hate it right away. I enjoy working on cars but the job just sucks. Since then I've branched out and some of my past jobs might give you some ideas that you might not have thought of.
            -warehouse technician (fixing conveyor belts and shit)
            -Lift Mechanic (ski resorts have trouble finding good people that can live near by)
            -Resort Technician (fixing random shit around hotels)
            -Misting technician (installing/repairing misting systems in hot citys like vegas/phenix ect.)

Good luck! There's tons of shit out there if you get a little creative.

I would second the warehouse/industrial stuff. It can also be a total shitshow but you've worked on mechanic shit with nuts, bolts, belts, bushings, drive chains, gearboxes, wiring etc your whole career. Brush up on 3phase electricity (pirate something like Mike Holt introduction to Industrial Electricity) and as long as you keep jamming your foot into interviews, you should have a job in those. What sucks is that it's usually night shift for newer hires.

2. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>"Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life."
    Biggest boomer israelite lie ever more like
    >"Choose a job you love, and you'll hate your job AND your passions."

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

This makes me feel better about choosing a career I absolutely fricking hate

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

This is so true. I was literally sold that lie and that's how I ended up here

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

This makes me feel better about choosing a career I absolutely fricking hate

This is so true. I was literally sold that lie and that's how I ended up here

I was an early victim of that, but I got out young and early, much better off as a result
      >Dick around for a year after finishing high school wondering what I'm gonna do for the rest of my life
      >try being a mechanic, I like cars surely it'll be fun
      >it's fricking miserable, standing around all day, not actually wrenching, just cleaning shit up
      >constantly covered in all sorts of shit that will very likely cause significant, irreversible problems later on in life
      >after just two weeks I call it quits
      and that was how I found out that while I like wrenching on my own shit, in my own time, at my own pace, I absolutely fricking detested doing it as a full time job. It also didn't help when one of the other guys there said that mechanics were the second-lowest paid skilled trade, right in front of hairdressers.
      Now I have a pretty relaxed desk job, most people are chill, I've got a great boss, and the money lets me do fun shit in my off time.
      >Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life
      I think there's very few people this could ever actually apply to. And even for those people, I don't think any one of them would ever wish on their deathbed that they wished they spent more time working.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

I think that's just people getting the short end of the stick by working at a place that sucks. It happened to me when I moved dealers and went to Volkswagen. I hated it there. The environment was sterile, everyone was out for each other's necks. You weren't allowed to have "fun"

I came back to the workplace I started out and now every day feels like high school auto class and it's great, and I still have the motivation to frick around with my own bucket and my buddies shitboxes

3. 2 months ago
    p

Dealershits charge cumstomers $150/hr to tinker their shitboxes, and pay techs $3/hr le mayo

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

I get $30 an hour and the dealer charges $225 an hour. Sometimes I wonder where the frick that extra 195$ an hour goes

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

in the EU 45-60% goes to taxes depending on the c**t where the shop is

I'm a mobile tech and I have to pay 30% as TAX.

4. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Join the USMC, become thank mechanic. go to war.
    Get the GI bill and you'll come back as a car mechanic at the stealership super thankful that you have the best job in the world.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Too old, they wouldn't take me, plus I know better. Ironically I wanted to join the Marines in high school, then decided to go to auto tech school instead

5. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Try becoming a pilot. If you're not too old then you can probably have some fun doing it. If you're 35 then you're probably too old to start. Having automotive knowledge helps a lot actually as it makes you more able to diagnose issues on the fly

6. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>I don't really ever visit DA
    You should steer clear from this cesspool, if you want to be happy. You’re asking trolls and shitposters for advice and the best you’ll get here is an half-assed answer based on speculation rather than experience.

7. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

have you thought about applying for jobs that aren't in the auto industry? crazy concept i know but maybe think about it.
    if you can't find an acceptable job to take, then start your own company BUT don't make it related to cars.

i hope this solution isn't too complicated for you. but then again you are a mouthbreathing tradie

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

That's exactly what I'm asking for. I want to escape this industry altogether. Or if within the industry, something far removed from being a tech

8. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

So after highschool I went and got an associates in automotive tech, worked for a couple shops and started to hate it right away. I enjoy working on cars but the job just sucks. Since then I've branched out and some of my past jobs might give you some ideas that you might not have thought of.
    -warehouse technician (fixing conveyor belts and shit)
    -Lift Mechanic (ski resorts have trouble finding good people that can live near by)
    -Resort Technician (fixing random shit around hotels)
    -Misting technician (installing/repairing misting systems in hot citys like vegas/phenix ect.)

Good luck! There's tons of shit out there if you get a little creative.

9. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

CNC machinist?

I'm a machinist, thinking about taking a job at a performance shop as an automotive machinist or maybe even starting my own business building and selling furniture or some shit.

10. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

You could get a CDL and become an owner-operator. Your skills will help keep maintenance costs down.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *