CDK Outage Update

Made a post yesterday about the CDK cyber attack that's affecting dealerships across the fruited plain.

What happened:
On Tuesday evening there was a cyber attack on CDK Global. CDK Global is a Dealer Management System used in Sales, Service, and Parts. The system was fixed Tuesday evening only for it to be attacked again Wednesday morning.
Why it's important:
CDK is used by over 15,000 dealerships across America, of which there are roughly 18,500 or so which means a vast majority of dealerships are affected. CDK is owned by ADP which handles payroll for a majority of wagies across the country.
Speculation:
Currently there is no ETA for CDK being back up and running for good. Some say it could be out until the middle of next week while others believe it may be out for weeks. There is no confirmation of who did the attack or why, but with the widespread financial damage that will be done to dealerships and thus the automotive industry as a whole because of this attack, it's not out of the question that this was a targeted attack by a state actor. It's also likely that the attack was aimed at ADP which would affect payrolls across nearly the entirety of the American working class as well as government employees.

Beware Cat Shirt $21.68

The Kind of Tired That Sleep Won’t Fix Shirt $21.68

Beware Cat Shirt $21.68

1. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

How are my fellow flat rate chads holding up?

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

There's some tensions starting to build with a few of them. CDK dealers are basically operating like they were back in the 90's right now, or like a Mom & Pop shop would operate except all their accounting, inventory, and payroll is effectively down.

So you can imagine things are a little weird right now for dealer bros.

2. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

not reading that. does this mean cheaper car prices or not?

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

No.

3. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I work with a bunch of dealers and about half are contemplating suicide because of this lol

4. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Reply I got from someone on /misc/

Good thing we have a homosexual Trans secretary in charge!

This actually is a big fricking deal. Thanks for sharing OP.
    BALTIMORE -- Car dealerships across the nation temporarily halted their services, including at least one in the Baltimore area, after a major cyberattack impacted their systems.

The manager at Plaza Ford in Bel Air says they have been unable to make sales or conduct normal business for two days because the attack forced them to pull the plug on their computer system.

Plaza Ford General Manager Katie Walls Gugliotta told WJZ their paperwork is mounting as the computer system remains offline after the cyberattack forced a major outage.

"This is a first for us, so this is uncharted territory," Gugliotta said.

We are completely dead in the water," Gugliotta said.

A second attack forced dealerships, including Plaza Ford, to pull the plug.

"We just took the hard choice of deciding to shut down at this point because it's just too hard," Gugliotta said.

You zill not own a car & be happy!

https://www.cbsnews.com/baltimore/news/cdk-cyberattack-halts-business-at-bel-air-car-dealership-thousands-more-nationwide/

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

At my dealer we're still up and running, just without a DMS for the time being. But I can understand what they mean. Working in Parts, the paperwork is starting to pile up big time and it's only been 3 days. Counter tickets, retail invoices, quotes, sold parts, orders to post and orders to check in... it's crazy how much we depend on one stupid program.

The worst part is that since all our inventory is done through CDK we have no frickin clue where parts are located or how many we have of them.

5. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

So the dealers will take an IOU for now and give us the keys?

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I'm not in sales, but I'm pretty sure that's a hard "no"

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Then why should we care about this?

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

The only people who care about stealing a car are Black folk, so unless you're a Black person this is pretty big news surrounding the automotive industry right now. Lots of dealerships can't even sell cars at all, and some of them are straight up closing their doors until CDK gets fixed which means they could just be closed during some of the busiest months of the year for them. No income from sales service or parts. They're just bleeding money.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>crying because he can't rip people off
            You probably have the face of the last guy I israeliteed down and paid for with cash. he was pretty bummed, I bet you are too 🙂

6. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I used to work for CDK. You have to understand it’s no longer owned by ADP and instead, it was sold off to private equity 2 years ago. Every American I worked with has been fired, laid off, and then replaced with a street shitter in India. When I left, the Pajeet in charge had already began undoing various security hardening we paid a third party to set up. It’s no surprise they’re paying the ransom. An even bigger no-surprise is this is the end result of private equity hollowing out a decent company and hiring third worlders who shouldn’t even be touching distributed systems. I hope CDK burns to the ground after this. And yes, this is absolutely huge because 2% of GDP is processed by their software.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>2% of GDP
      >GDP in March was 28.42T
      >2% of 28.42T
      >564B

RIP US Economy

https://ycharts.com/indicators/us_monthly_gdp

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

The more I think about this post the more I start to think it was an inside job. Dudes leave the door wide open for an attack and then get a kickback from the people doing the attack and getting the ransom. Obviously the people who left the door open are the ones who will be paying the ransom. They take out of the company chauffeur and the money goes to an offshore account somewhere.

7. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I wonder how long it will take to get service back. Better question, I wonder how long until it happens again. Best question, I wonder how long it will take to switch over to another DMS.

https://fortune.com/2024/06/22/cdk-ransomware-attack-payment-hackers-tens-millions-car-dealerships/

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>Best question, I wonder how long it will take to switch over to another DMS.
      Without being able to access your existing digital inventory records? Months

8. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Giving Internet access to turd worlders was a mistake

9. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

cry cry dealership scum. Your time is numbered and direct sales are the future. I enjoy the fact that you're poor and you'll have to get another job!

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I'm not poor, I work at a dealership you stupid son of a b***h. If dealers go under I'll just do what I'm doing now and make even more money because I know all the vendors and commercial accounts.

Cry more poorgay.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>he doesn't know that stealerships are protected by law from direct sales
      Oh, you poor thing...

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>direct sales are the future
      lolno the CEO of Ford floated that idea, got brought into a room with the big distributors and dealer network guys, and walked his bullshit back right quick. Tesla's found some workarounds to some of the state bans on direct sales but it's a clusterfrick

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

why can't it happen?

• 3 weeks ago
          Bepis

Because the dealers lobby against it, and there’s a lot of money there.

https://i.imgur.com/e0e8esg.jpeg

Made a post yesterday about the CDK cyber attack that's affecting dealerships across the fruited plain.

What happened:
          On Tuesday evening there was a cyber attack on CDK Global. CDK Global is a Dealer Management System used in Sales, Service, and Parts. The system was fixed Tuesday evening only for it to be attacked again Wednesday morning.
          Why it's important:
          CDK is used by over 15,000 dealerships across America, of which there are roughly 18,500 or so which means a vast majority of dealerships are affected. CDK is owned by ADP which handles payroll for a majority of wagies across the country.
          Speculation:
          Currently there is no ETA for CDK being back up and running for good. Some say it could be out until the middle of next week while others believe it may be out for weeks. There is no confirmation of who did the attack or why, but with the widespread financial damage that will be done to dealerships and thus the automotive industry as a whole because of this attack, it's not out of the question that this was a targeted attack by a state actor. It's also likely that the attack was aimed at ADP which would affect payrolls across nearly the entirety of the American working class as well as government employees.

Interesting. That’s like when Kronos got hacked a couple years ago, but that was just payroll so employees got fricked but business ran as usual. It took like 2 months IIRC for them to fix the system after it got hacked.

10. 3 weeks ago
    anonanon

all i want to know is if carmax has exposure to this

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

From what I understand, yes.

11. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Forgive me for the plebbit screenshot, but this is definitely relevant to the topic.

Daily reminder that CDK accounts for 2.6% of US GDP which means if this dude is correct, we are headed straight into a recession.

Dealers will go bankrupt, PDC's will layoff or furlough workers, manufacturers will close production plants, all the money those workers were making will be taken out of the economy... I hate the overuse of the phrase, "It's fappening" but uhh... if plebbit is right then it's absolutely happening.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I'm so excited br/o/s!! I can't wait to be able to afford a house!!!

12. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Bamp for updates

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

shit’s still fricked
      https://archive.is/wip/20Q4X

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Yup. Email from CDK today stated that they "did not believe that they would have all dealers (read: any dealers) up before June 30" which means CDK is backorder no ETA.

So end of month for dealers is totally fricked at the very least.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *