Collision Repairs

Just got a quote for $1100 since some idiot wanted to side swipe my car. Not including paint. Any tips to repair it myself? Just get it repaired? I looked up the parts and unpainted the new panels are the same price... car is '16 accord lx-s coupe.

Mike Stoklasa's Worst Fan Shirt $21.68

Nothing Ever Happens Shirt $21.68

Mike Stoklasa's Worst Fan Shirt $21.68

1. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Here are some pics of the damage
    1/3

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/LmV4VTK.jpeg

2/3

you could fix both of these with a spot dent puller, hammer and dolly, a little bit of bog and some talent

2. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

2/3

3. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

how are you going to attach the quarterpanel

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

i have no idea what im doing

You don't have comprehensive?
      Get it. Report the accident later in the year

no i do not. how long should i wait before reporting?

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

they need to be welded on fyi

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

well i cant do that so parts are out of the question now.

>i have no idea what im doing
          So let the shop do it. You have to cut and patch the quarter skin in and they'll replace the whole door.

its $2300 with paint. is that reasonable?

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

>its $2300 with paint. is that reasonable?
            Bodywork and paint are labor intensive and each stage is hours of work. I'd expect a quarter skin and door match to be more expensive than that.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

if you're found not at fault, you shouldn't even have to pay the deductible. if not, you will and your insurance will increase. I wouldn't even bother with it, unless you live somewhere that'll cause that panel to spontaneously rust after a year or two of exposed metal
            [...]
            >is that reasonable?
            yeah kinda, assuming it's done very well and not a hack job. at the end of the day, it's mostly cosmetic as far as I can tell, so what's "reasonable" is more of your opinion

thanks for insight anons.

Lower it to $500.

cash discount?

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

So let the shop do it. You have to cut and patch the quarter skin in and they'll replace the whole door.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Ok well that is a cut and weld job. You cannot do it yourself. You can't even handle bondo and paint if you "have no idea what you're doing"

4. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

You don't have comprehensive?
    Get it. Report the accident later in the year

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

i do have comprehensive coverage, but 1k deductible. should i just go out of pocket?

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Lower it to $500.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

if you're found not at fault, you shouldn't even have to pay the deductible. if not, you will and your insurance will increase. I wouldn't even bother with it, unless you live somewhere that'll cause that panel to spontaneously rust after a year or two of exposed metal

well i cant do that so parts are out of the question now.

[...]
        its $2300 with paint. is that reasonable?

>is that reasonable?
        yeah kinda, assuming it's done very well and not a hack job. at the end of the day, it's mostly cosmetic as far as I can tell, so what's "reasonable" is more of your opinion

5. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

my last problem with this all is. my car is almost 10 years old at 54k. is it worth repairing if im going to keep it for another 15 years/150k miles?

6. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Drive it fricked up. You have better things to give a shit about.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

With a kid on the way, it's looking like that.

Ok well that is a cut and weld job. You cannot do it yourself. You can't even handle bondo and paint if you "have no idea what you're doing"

Honestly, thank you for telling me I can't do it. I make enough to get it repaired instead. It's just bullshit that this happens the day after paying 800 on my other car. I thought if I could screw/ bolt on the panel skins I could save some money. Very wrong.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Yeah! Worry about that kid on the way. Why not knock it off with keeping up with the joneses? You’ll probably get a nicer car in a few years. It’s just a waste of your time and money and the earth’s resources. Idk why having a Tesla or Prius is supposed to be the hip thing when, having an old beater is a symbol of making the planet a better place, economically, socially, environmentally. Be proud of your junk.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

>economiallt socially environmentally

Forgot the pride flag

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Just have a mobile dent repair person make it as good as they can for a few hundred and get some OEM touch up paint pens and leave it good enough.

7. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

get the existing panels repainted so that they don't rust and don't worry about the damage. as long as that door still closes correctly and the window rolls down fine.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *