Convertibles

What are DA's thoughts on convertibles? I've personally never been interested them. In fact, I've never even been in one. However, it just so happens that the car I'm looking for (BMW 128i) has many clean, low mileage examples in my area that come as convertibles. Now I'm actually considering whether I might actually enjoy top-down driving.

Has anyone gone from a hater to a believer once they've tried out a convertible for themselves? Does a convertible roof add an element of enjoyment to a summer car or needless bloat that only causes problems?

It's All Fucked Shirt $22.14

The Kind of Tired That Sleep Won’t Fix Shirt $21.68

It's All Fucked Shirt $22.14

1. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

They're shit all around. Bad insulation so if it's hot outside, it's hot inside. If it's cold outside, it's cold inside. They always leak at least a little bit no matter what. Little or no sound insulation. Ugly. Less interior space to accommodate folding mechanisms. Literally no advantage either. No benefit in having the top down when you can just roll down your windows. They were made for people who lived in tiny temperate lands like France and England where the speed limit was like 40mph and it stayed 60-80 for 8 months a year. Convertibles have no place in the modern world where you regularly drive 80+ and you're already needing to run your AC in March.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Low t and autistic
      Very impressive

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Oh look who's emotional but has no logic to support his feelings
        Must be a woman considering that's the target demographic for convertibles

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Lay off the estrogen, ma'am

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>he say me woman?
            >me say HE woman!

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

i regularly used to drive top down in the winter because i like feeling that natural breeze sweep over me. hearing the exhaust note was nice as well. never had to look at the dashboard to figure out when to shift. put on a jacket and crank up the heater by your feet and there’s no feeling like it. you’re low t.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Skill issue, my Miata has exactly zero of these issues

2. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Flimsier and heavier and only for whipped homiesvand rich b***hes

3. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I've owned two-- an NA Miata and an NG Saab 9-3. I lived in north Texas when I owned them, and, unless it was raining, snowing, or really fricking hot or cold, I pretty much always drove them top down. When I owned the Miata, I had a summer job delivering pizza, and I got so much sun that it bleached my uniform shirt except for the little stripe that was covered by the seatbelt.

Anyway, I really enjoyed owning convertibles. I always liked driving with the windows down and getting fresh air, and driving a convertible made it even better. I think the sun was also good for my SAD.

I'm looking for a new third car right now, and I can explain it this way-- I'm not looking specifically for a convertible, but all other things equal, I'll take a convertible over a hard top, and even when other things are not equal, being a convertible is a pretty big mark in the "pro" column for me.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

I never was interested in them because on paper they make cars worse (heavier, less stiff). Last summer I got my first convertible and instantly got it. Every single time I drive it I have a conversation with someone from inside the car. You stop at a stop light and people roll their window down to talk about your car even if it is a total shitbox. You go for a nice drive in the country and you are hit with how many smells there are and how you can feel the pockets of warm and cool air and you realize that you have previously been entirely disconnected from the place that you are driving in.
      I even live somewhere that gets 10 feet of snow a year. I bought snow tires for it last year so I can take it out if we get a nice few days in the middle of winter. Convertibles frick.

Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to test drive a convertible to see if I "get it" but I can definitely understand the appeal. It's just hard to get over the fact that they're just objectively worse in many ways. Then again, I'm not really looking for practicality in a summer car.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

oh also NEVER buy a used soft top convertible unless you keep it in the garage 100 percent of the time and never take it out if the sky is even moderately cloudy
        the vast majority of drivers don't know how to take care of a soft top, so they put them up for sale as soon as they start leaking
        even garage-kept, low mileage examples will lose their waterproofing after a few years

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Isn't waterproofing like $25 in chemicals and a couple of hours of work?

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

technically yes if the car's relatively new
            however most soft tops have a lifespan of 5-10 years, after which sun/weather damage + rubber cracking + inevitable stretching/tearing/scuffing means that you'll have to replace the entire soft top if you want it to be functional
            if you choose not to replace your top as soon as it starts showing its age then the whole car will smell like mildew + wet dog every time it even drizzles

4. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

if you're a joyless homosexual that lives in a shithole with bad weather dont get one. if you like driving and have okay weather its a blast

5. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I never was interested in them because on paper they make cars worse (heavier, less stiff). Last summer I got my first convertible and instantly got it. Every single time I drive it I have a conversation with someone from inside the car. You stop at a stop light and people roll their window down to talk about your car even if it is a total shitbox. You go for a nice drive in the country and you are hit with how many smells there are and how you can feel the pockets of warm and cool air and you realize that you have previously been entirely disconnected from the place that you are driving in.
    I even live somewhere that gets 10 feet of snow a year. I bought snow tires for it last year so I can take it out if we get a nice few days in the middle of winter. Convertibles frick.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Bay Area, California here. Do I get a convertible as my only car to daily? It doesn't rain a lot, really temperate or warm weather, and I have a parking garage at work and a garage home.

>Every single time I drive it I have a conversation with someone from inside the car.
      This is exactly what I'm afraid of. I want to breathe the fresh air and hear the exhaust but I don't want people to be looking at me >.<

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

I'm the type of person to have the windows all the way down and the sunroof open if it's above 45 degrees and not raining or snowing. Then I just crank up the heater if it's cold. I love that feeling.

6. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I’d always wanted one. Then I got one (2011 bmw 1345i)
    Now I want a different convertible.
    Anon, run away from a high mileage bmw, no matter how clean it is. Unless you are looking for a project car/money pit.

I’ve had mine a month and it’s been a nightmare. Eccentric shaft/valvetronic actuator are needing replacement, random faults, limp mode on a couple of occasions.

But when it DOES run, it’s great to drive. Sunny days drive with your girl and the top down almost makes the hassle worth it.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>Stay away from high mileage BMW
      Frick. I'm kind of worried about that reputation. This would be my 2nd car so I don't need utmost reliability but I definitely don't want a money pit. I will say that I'm quite mechanically inclined as I worked on cars a lot throughout college. Would you be less skeptical of a non-turbo BMW (128i)? On that note, are the folding roof mechanisms decently reliable in your experience?

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

I haven’t had any issues with my soft top (Oregon, so it’s been rainy). If you’re mechanically inclined, it’s probably not too big of a deal - main issue seems to be plastic aging and getting brittle over time (there’s so much plastic in the engine compartment). Other issue is that a lot of these cars are abused by wannabe tuners who royally frick the car and drop it on some dealer, who then flips it at auction rather than pay to fix it.
        Oh and maintenance- you don’t always know how well it was maintained ie oil changes.

Don’t make my mistake; get the car checked out before buying; and if there’s a woodpecker type sound coming from the engine compartment when unlocking the door: RUN away.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>Woodpecker type sound coming from the engine compartment
          Care to elaborate? I don't see how unlocking a door could result in a noise in the engine compartment. I also am aware that the common failure modes of the N54 engine in the 135i are different to the N52 engine in the 128i so maybe that's just a 135i gremlin?

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

It’s from the valvetronic motor and eccentric camshaft skipping gears. (It’s getting the valves in position for a cold start) but it also means that there’s a $2,000 repair (just in parts) ahead.

This is what I’m dealing with atm.

7. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Convertibles are mostly for women. Mostly.

8. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

i like my celica it's fun and kinda sporty.

9. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I would not get a soft top as a daily unless you live somewhere like SoCal where it’s so temperate you can go top down most of the time.
    And a garage is pretty much a must.

A convertible is louder and noticeably less stiff, so if you do most of your driving with the top up it’s just going to be a worse experience.
    For someone who’s destitute-tier a cheap Miata is arguably better than a Yaris or some other econobox, but if you can afford something nice with a roof you should probably get that instead.
    A convertible is great to have as a pleasure car that’s never going to see the top up. The experience is great and can’t be replicated by anything else. But if you’re going to be driving it around with the top up in the mid 60’s like I see people do (when I’ll take the roadster out in the 50’s), I have to ask, “What the frick did you buy a convertible for?”
    If 60’s is “too cold” and 80s is “too hot” for you, definitely do not get a convertible as your main.

10. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>Has anyone gone from a hater to a believer once they've tried out a convertible for themselves?
    That's probably me. Had to move from densely-populated big city suburbs with continental climate to what's essentially a countryside with Mediterranean climate before buying one (an NG 9-3), though.
    >Does a convertible roof add an element of enjoyment to a summer car or needless bloat that only causes problems?
    It's both. Unique experience but you'll pay for it.

11. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I have a 2 series turbo 6cyl 'vertible and i love it. Basically just the sights, smells, and changes in air temp while driving and the sun makes it worth

12. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

With a good engine and heated seat it's god tier

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>convertibles
      >posts targa

13. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Don't knock it until you've tried it. I was indifferent but being completely open to the outside while driving makes for an engaging driving experience. They look cool and sporty too. I finally got it. Especially when you're driving with the homies with the top down, blasting music, doing some hooning, laughing vibing and having a good time. I drive with the top down any chance I get.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *