Dead starter caused by oil?

Changed the oil in my 97 chevy k1500. once i was done, car wouldn't turn over. So i took the old starter out, and it's greasy. Is that normal? I'm wondering if there's enough of a leak to kill it. I don't see the oil leaking much if at all, the level remains pretty constant.

It might just be coincidence since it had a bit of a problem starting but i thought it was the fuel pump just being slow, if i primed it, usually started up right.

It's All Fucked Shirt $22.14

Tip Your Landlord Shirt $21.68

It's All Fucked Shirt $22.14

1. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

"Greasy" is not normal.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

If that's how it died. How could i protect the new starter from getting killed? Without fixing rear main seal or whatever's leaking on it.

2. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>so i just started removing parts before i knew what the problem was.
    bruh, OBD2 was made mandatory in 1996. hook up your scan tool and stop acting like a boomer moron.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>yeah bro, the magic OBD2 oil leak sensor will scan over the engine and tell you exactly where it's leaking from
      You've never touched a wrench.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

and you need to learn to diagnose. i was an sae certified mechanic for 7 years, but go ahead and tell me what i don't know.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

The car has enough electrical gremlins in it that the scanner would be longer than the magna carta im sure

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

I'm not OP. There isn't even a CEL trouble code for a dead starter/solenoid in a '97 Chevy. You're a moron.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>OBD2 check engine light
          >97 K1500
          >Im SAE certified
          Lol and in the pope. Let me touch your pp

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>i was an sae certified mechanic for 7 years
          >was
          clearly you were fired for incompetence

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>sae certified mechanic for 7 years
          >doesnt know shit about actual cars
          Checks out. Probably worked in some dealershit and never touched anything older than a few years.

3. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Yeah, if oil is getting into the case, it can cause the brushes to get smeared and work like shit. It can also frick up the solenoid if it gets filled. It's pretty unlikely and there needs to be a lot of oil for it to do that, but it's not unheard of. Spray it out with brake clean and bench test it.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

It won't even try to click anymore. When i turned it.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Just one loud click so the ignition works. Battery is full charge as well. Gonna bench test the starter later

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

There isn't the thinnest chance in hell, that an oil change did that. It's a coincidence and don't let it lead you astray. Either it's completely soaked in oil, or it's burned. Smacking it lightly with a hammer is an old trick that might have temporarily gotten it going. One last thing and I have SEEN this happen - a continuous oil soaking can mess with the wire insulation. If they're wet, clean them and inspect for any insulation damage/possible shorts.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Check power at the big black wire coming into the starter solenoid, make sure you're getting 12v from the battery.
        Then check the small purple wire that runs into the solenoid for 12v of power when turning the key to the start position. You could also just run a jumper wire straight from battery + post to that signal wire and see if it clicks/turns over.
        If it's not clicking at all, you either have a completely dead solenoid, or the signal wire isn't getting power to the solenoid because of a wiring issue. Looks like there's a few fuses in between the starter and the power, so track those down and check those if you aren't getting power at either one of the two wires.

4. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Some people will tell you you have to use a special electrolitic grease or some shit inside your starter, but I'm here to tell you that's bullshit.
    >t. greased his sticking solenoid and starts everytime now

5. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>chevy gm400
    >90s
    >leaking oil on starter

its your oil sending unit or u gotta give your valve cover bolts a snuggle

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *