Digital fuel gauges

Why did they get rid of analog fuel gauges? This digital shit is way too imprecise. What the frick does 1 bar mean? How do I know how much fuel left until the next bar? Is there some technical reason why it can't show you a percentage or the amount of fuel in liters/gallons?

Shopping Cart Returner Shirt $21.68

Nothing Ever Happens Shirt $21.68

Shopping Cart Returner Shirt $21.68

1. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

You know damn well why.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

No I don't. And take meds if you're gonna say israelites or some /misc/ shit.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Jews

• 3 weeks ago
        p

israelite detected

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

thanks

• 3 weeks ago
            p

no problem. just holler if you need more assistance.

2. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Because the fuel level senders are 99% of the time too imprecise to show percentage or litres/gallons.
    The 1% is the BMW E32 7 series with the bigger OBC. In that one the on board computer can show the fuel level in litres/gallons. The fuel level sender is like 500 bucks a piece and uses resistance wires and a linear float to measure the amount of fuel inside the sensor tube.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

My 2016 Honda NC750 motorcycle shows me the consumed fuel in liters. If it says i used 9,4 liters and i fill it up it fills up to exactly 9,4 liters.

if a under 10k€ motorcycle can do that it realy is astounding that cars dont have that. it also auto resets the consumption if you fill it up, switches to a 2nd dash when you hit reserve and shows you the used fuel since reserve started, the milage and average consumption of this fueltank.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

That's because the bike is logging the injector flow rate.
        >why do cars not have that
        They could but really who the frick needs it. You get 300 or 400 miles to a fillup, not 125-150 like a bike.

3. 3 weeks ago
    Greased Geese

analog is only precise if you manage to bend the float very carefully to calibrate it and not frick up and put a dead zone on the ohm range toaster spring

4. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

do you never google, or look in the manual to find out how many gallons your car holds?
    do you not pay attention to your gauge while driving?
    cant you determine what the bars actually means?
    you sound 24

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

My car holds 45 liters and there's 8 bars. So probably around 5 something liters per bar but how do I know after each drive how much of those 5 liters is left? That's my question you fricking moron. It was easy to tell when it was a needle instead of some stupid meaningless bar.
      You sound like an idiot

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Its easy.
        Just go by miles.
        If you get 1000 miles per gallon, like most sensible cars do, and you have five gallons left, then you are good for 5000 miles.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>If you get 1000 miles per gallon
          ????

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

What? Your car doesn't?

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

this is dumb. Analogue gauges weren't that precise either. Just fill up when you hit 1/4 tank like everyone else and drop the autism.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Listen gay, I am not american. I can't just fill up my tank with my tasty 60k salary as a sandwich artist. But driving is still surprisingly cheaper than taking public transport in my shithole (for my daily commute at least not for everything).

Old school gauges are imprecise depending what angle the car is at anyway.

Plus in 2024, I’m betting the LEDs and little circuit board are cheaper to manufacture than an old school gauge that moves, especially any mechanical gauges

I know they aren't 100% precise, my garage used to be in 20 degree slope and the gauge always showed less fuel than it actually had but it normalised outside of that and while it probably wasn't that accurate it never left me stranded, as long as the needle wasn't that close to the E icon I could more or less know how much I had left.

Now all I get is a useless red bar and a message that might as well say "stop being poor" every single day instead of accurate readings.

Maybe I can become rich if I invent a 100% accurate fuel gauge and help all the other poorgays all over the world

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

The absolute state of euros

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>do you never google, or look in the manual to find out how many gallons your car holds?
      That should be written on the gauge. Some manufacturers in fact did that.
      Oh, and gallon is not a real unit btw.

5. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>10 bars
    1 bar=10% of the tank capacity

6. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Just go fill up you lazy shit.

7. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

If you use that level of precision on the road, you should change your fueling habits and avoid particulate concentration in your fuel. No need to clog up the filter if you don't have to

8. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Precision in the fuel gauge has been replaced with precision in the range estimate. Maybe not the accuracy, though.

9. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

were there any cars that had a scale change button? pic related is a toyota mark ii digital dash, when the regular gauge got to about 1/8th of a tank you could press the button to get a more accurate reading

10. 3 weeks ago
    Bepperoni

Old school gauges are imprecise depending what angle the car is at anyway.

Plus in 2024, I’m betting the LEDs and little circuit board are cheaper to manufacture than an old school gauge that moves, especially any mechanical gauges

11. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

analog gauges can be very imprecise too

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Nope

12. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

this is literally just a different way of displaying the exact same signal the needle that you think is analog is displaying

13. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

ICEV range anxiety

14. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>analog fuel gauges
    For decades upon decades the tank float has been sending a voltage reading to the car computer, and the gauge itself has been an electronic with a sweepy needle. Pretty much all cars since at least the 90s have had almost, and since the 00s all of, the gauges operate this way. Yes even your tach and speedo.

Makes no difference what the gauge you see is. It's not any more or less accurate either, I've never seen a car that was better than accurate at 50% and "who the frick knows" above and below it.

15. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

It's not hard anon. Most cars have 8 bars in their digital fuel gauge, the one in your post has 10. So, in the case of my daily, each bar represents 1/8th of the tank. The volume of my car's tank is 61L. So, 61L x 0.125= 7.63L per bar of my daily's digital fuel gauge, round it to 7.6. Now converting the other way around, 7.6L x 8 = 60.8L which is pretty close to my daily's fuel capacity. So anon, just look up the fuel capacity for your car and divide it by the number of bars in your fuel gauge and you'll then know exactly how much fuel does each bar represent. Surprised I had to spell it out for you.

16. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>When the bars don't represent the same amounts of fuel

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *