Do people really grow out of the "boy racer" phase?

I'm 27, engaged, no debts, and have some decent play money for the first time in my life.
I'm growing into the whole boy racer thing rather than out.
Been looking at cars like WRXs, Evos, and FK8s to buy, rice the shit out of and use it as my DD with no shame. Anyone relate to this feel?
Driving a regular Cuckover/SUV/Econobox, or even luxury vehicles like BMW or Mercedes just sounds like hell to me.

A Conspiracy Theorist Is Talking Shirt $21.68

Thalidomide Vintage Ad Shirt $22.14

A Conspiracy Theorist Is Talking Shirt $21.68

1. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I'm 40 dude.
    Driving a hellcat. And I'm not even black.
    My wife is embarrassed, but I like it very much.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

In my 30s

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

looking good Motorad Chad

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>My wife is embarrassed
      Really? I always thought the "big 3" like Challenger, Mustang and Camaro were considered socially acceptable cool cars by normies.

https://i.imgur.com/tAoBhPi.jpeg

In my 30s

Sports bike would be cool too.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>socially acceptable cool cars by normies.
        Women think being in a loud car is embarrassing.
        They just want to fit in

2. 3 weeks ago
    I Love You

yes. And im glad I grew out of it before I got my first car.

3. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Life is too short to drive boring cars, you do you.
    That being said I wouldn't mind some overpowered german luxury car, I like the look of early 2000s CLs, but maintaining and finding parts for a 20-year-old V12 AMG sounds like a nightmare.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>overpowered german luxury car
      this is hot. A loud riced honda is not.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I have a 2005 V8 AMG and I’ve spent 9k in maintenance and repairs over the past 3 years, they are not cheap.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

DIY?

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

As somebody with a V12 SL that I bought for dirt cheap from a pre-boomer's estate, they are hell to maintain but so much fun.

4. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

The people who'd shame you for not driving an econobox/luxury barge are the polar opposite of status symbol posers. Getting a fast car just to show off at a cars and coffee is moronic, but so is buying the latest shitbox just to "fit in" with shallow/moronic MBAs

5. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>Anyone relate to this feel?
    With every year, my love of Sex Spec/Max Power/Ali G/Underground 2 boy racer cars grows stronger, so yes, I absolutely relate.

As for "Do people really grow out of the "boy racer" phase?", my 46 year old brother has never truly grown out of it, though his tastes are mostly things like Peugeot 205 GTIs, Renault GT turbos, and Vauxhall Astra GTEs, so arguably the genesis of the "boy racer" movement. I can almost guarantee you'll never grow out of it, but you may start to seek a second, comfier and more practical car to daily as the years tick on.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Is that your car for real?
      Lol dude this is admirable.
      The thing about this whole 2000s running is that it became old enough now to be cool again.
      Nice car, bro.

I'm 35. Yamaha R1 and C7 Corvette

Raced a C8 Z06 and C8 (both together) on the freeway today.
      Hitting speeds over 160 weaving through traffic. Live Fast. Die Fast. Simple as.

lol I crashed just last week doing some shit like this.
      Reflexes aren’t as good as they were…

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>Is that your car for real?
        No, but I do respect it. I really like the aesthetic, but I could never bring myself to spend thousands on a car that has the same value as a bar of chocolate (like my brother did back in the day with his Vauxhall Cavalier). That is part of why I like that scene though; so many custom fibreglass bodykits and speaker systems, wild paint jobs, underglow, and some underpaid model with daddy issues sitting on the hood... Seems like a good time, especially compared to the typical car meet of today where some paki in a rented ///M or AMG turns up and crashes into a lamppost.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

It looked moronic then and it looks even more moronic now

6. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Do whatever the FRICK u wanna do
    Eventually you may want to do something else. That's when you should do that other thing.
    Don't buy a generic pick me type CUV and regret it.

7. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>buy boyracer car and become general menace to local commuter traffic
    >hoon the frick out of it on gravel backroads at highway speeds
    >abuse it for years and drive it through winters without a problem
    >made more money than the car was purchased for delivering pizza for a quick minute
    >life is good
    follow ur dreams OP

8. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>27
    >boy racer
    what a loser, you should be thinking about settling down and moving up in life not idolize fast and furious. Go get a Lexus ES you manchild.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

last year i got two speeding tickets and knocked up my wife on the same day. get good.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>Lexus ES
      but it looks sooo boring

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>paying Mustang GT prices for a re-badged Camry
      >getting ahead in life

9. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Just dont stance your shitbox and build a proper car you can send like its meant to be and you should be good

10. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I'm 35. Yamaha R1 and C7 Corvette

Raced a C8 Z06 and C8 (both together) on the freeway today.
    Hitting speeds over 160 weaving through traffic. Live Fast. Die Fast. Simple as.

11. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

There are people who are the type to grow out of any hobby. Not because of the hobby itself, but because their whole soul and personality is wilting. Videogames, sports, cars, you name it. All they really do anymore is doomscroll on their phone to help time go faster until either food or sleep time. Most people are like that actually. I had a bike in my 20s because it was cheap and cool and I still love it, but now I'm getting into fun cars rather than just having some soap shaped grocery getter. I am getting into cars not out of them as I get older because I have the money to indulge myself now.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>their whole soul and personality is wilting
      This is the thing. The warning sign is if someone just entirely disappears into a romantic relationship. Makes no time or effort for their friends anymore.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

This. I think it's important to have a job you like, if you can. That way you can afford to keep enjoying life instead of letting your soul die.

https://i.imgur.com/E7J4YTD.jpeg

>Is that your car for real?
      No, but I do respect it. I really like the aesthetic, but I could never bring myself to spend thousands on a car that has the same value as a bar of chocolate (like my brother did back in the day with his Vauxhall Cavalier). That is part of why I like that scene though; so many custom fibreglass bodykits and speaker systems, wild paint jobs, underglow, and some underpaid model with daddy issues sitting on the hood... Seems like a good time, especially compared to the typical car meet of today where some paki in a rented ///M or AMG turns up and crashes into a lamppost.

Dude that magazine is awesome. That screams "turn the page and see ads for ringtones and phone wallpapers of naked girls".

https://i.imgur.com/QRhjcOz.jpeg

>Driving even luxury vehicles like BMW

just drive a boy ricer BMW

It'll drive much better than any of those cars and you can anger the purists at the same time.

>Sensible modifications
      >Outlandish livery
      10/10

12. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>35
    >Been obsessed w/ cars since 12 (gran turismo 3)
    >Still obsessed with cheap tiny shitboxes, racing, and doing tricks
    >Still mod my shitbox and do WOT runs almost daily
    I never lost interest and don't see why I would. I know what I like.

13. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Get a motorcycle

14. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

"Boy racer" doesn't refer to performance, it refers to quality. And you do grow out of "boy racer."

Test drove a S3 with a popping exhaust. Sounded stupid and the S3 felt cheap.
    Test drove a 370Z with straight pipes. Was a terrible drive since it overpowered any feel for the road.
    My BiL had a bug-eye WRX. Noisy tin can.

911, Boxster, 330i ZHP, M3, Crossfire SRT-6, SLK55 AMG all have performance with refinement.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>perfomance with refinement

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Don't you have a frog to post?

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous
  15. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

not really bro friend of mine and me same age split up with our mrs both back living with my mum lol we are 33 he also lives with his folks

16. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

how do you get engaged at 27?

17. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>FK8
    why? theyre so monstrously ugly

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I felt the same. So I bought a low mile fk8. I enjoy it.
      Fast enough to have fun.

Don't worry, the fl5's are more your taste. It's just pretty much a Kia! All the Honda designs are now.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

they're not more my taste. what is this weird cope?

18. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Making annoying noises on your way to the grocery store shouldn't be your personality yeah

19. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

ricing is gay but driving recklessly is a tasteful, fun hobby. ditch the 'xaust, keep the lead foot and radar.
    DDing for my alcoholic friends and scaring them to death with surprise awd drifting is a hobby.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>driving recklessly is a tasteful, fun hobby.
      doing this in a 260hp shitbox made realize where the actual car enthusiasm is now. ive done some mad runs with BMW-Ms, Stangs, whatever. Always some smiles and thumbs ups at the end of it.
      No clout, no egos, no status. Just 2 men and bond of pure adrenaline

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

that is THE shit.
        It gets better when you pick up 3-5 random idiots in overpowered grocery getters, weaving through traffic and basically doing a shitty stock car race down the highway.
        once i saw a corvette, a camaro, a couple shitty hondas and a lifted truck all collectively traffic swim at 90mph in a 50. it was glorious

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

honestly that's a lot of cope for just getting a 600 cc sportbike

20. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I have my first grey hairs now. My hope is that I end up as one of those 80yos that still climbs into single seaters at the local club races

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>I have my first grey hairs now
      Don't sweat it. You still have lots of time.

21. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I'm 33 with a GR Corolla. It's white and plain looking enough to look like a regular hatch except for the wheels.

Thinking about trading it in for Nigsan Frontier because DDing a manual in the city is not ideal.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Stop being a fricking pussy ass b***h holy shit
      My fricking god

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Get used truck for the actual use of truck and keep dailying corolla, you currently have what is known as skill issue when you moan about manual in traffic. Try switching to neutral sooner when coasting to stop pressing the clutch too much and if you get discomfort check if you are fat or sitting in sloppy position that strains you and fix those.

22. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>I'm growing into the whole boy racer thing rather than out.
    What happened to me too. As I get older, I also got back into boyracer bullshit.
    It's probably comparable to the boomer thing where they idolise their childhood cars.
    I put a "massive" sound system, sports seats and the tightest chrome wheels in my shitbox for maximum street cred, it's a blast to hoon.
    I used to be into more sensible cars after growing out of the shitbox phase, it was so over when I got a newish 5 series BMW, but after ridding of it and buying a house with a workshop and a garage, we're so back.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

when you get older you develop more refined taste and you realize the guys with stupid looking cars back then were actually pioneers of style. you've got an eye for cool and good examples of what not to do.
      i'm american, 34, and if i saw your car driving i'd be like "that dude fricks".
      imo the boyracer mods are a signal to other car morons that you can wrench and you like your car, which brings a sense that all is right with the world when they see you. a happy car with a happy driver makes me happy by extension.

23. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Guys stop doing cool shit because they spend their time and money on their wife and kids. This is why older dudes will start doing cool shit again once their kids are grown up. Some people call it a "mid life crisis" but the truth is just that you finally have time and money available again. You don't magically stop liking cool shit just because you turn a certain age, you just have to prioritize other things.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Trooth

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

This. The only people who use the term are younger people seething at middle aged freedom or women who don't have hobbies beyond gossiping and daytime drinking.

24. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Why do you think the only two paths are fwd 4 cylinder overpriced japanese shitboxes and fwd 4 cylinder overpriced german cuckovers?

25. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>Driving even luxury vehicles like BMW

just drive a boy ricer BMW

It'll drive much better than any of those cars and you can anger the purists at the same time.

26. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

acceptable cool cars by normies
    >Women

Why do people care so much about what others think? Are they paying for the car? Are they riding in it?

No they're not. Buy what you like and enjoy it. Trying to impress people by buying a specific vehicle is dumb and the truly childish thing here.

If you bought a car to impress woman you're more pathetic than those holosimps on /vt/

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Most people are really insecure and just want to fit in

27. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I guess you have to feel the boy racer phase yourself without any time limit.

28. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Having kids changes things. You just need to manage your finances well enough that you can still afford to keep your fun car.

29. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I got 3 kids ages 13, 11 and 10. Sporty car isn't really practical so I have a motorbike as well.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>I got 3 kids ages 13, 11 and 10
      Same. You'd think their parents would teach them better.

30. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Yeah, moved to NPC daily and 4x4 for weekends.

31. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I'm 31 and I have a '19 wrx base and I feel old as frick when zoomers in other wrxs wave at me.
    The temptation to rice it out is always tempered by $1000 being better spent on literally anything else at all than an exhaust/CF hood/wheels/etc. More inclined to put a tow hitch on it and be able to take a bicycle/dirtbike somewhere.
    Basically my philosophy for hobby money since I turned 30 is "Is this thing I want to buy just a mild upgrade over something I already have or does it let me have a new experience altogether?" and strongly preferring to make the latter purchase. It's how I avoid having like a dozen perfectly good keyboards or whatever the frick.

32. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

This reminded me of a video of a 57y/o dude getting pulled over for doing a wheelie. Age is just a number. Stop giving a frick and do what makes you happy.

33. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

i don't think i'll ever grow out of it. i'll hoon my barge for as long as i can, and if i can still do that while i'm an old fart with grey hairs that's a bonus.

34. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>Anyone relate to this feel
    Bought my 2014 manual FR-S at 28 last year and I've been loving the hell out of it. I didn't know that it was something that was missing from my life until I had it.
    I think as you age you require some practicality and will have to make some sacrifices for your wife and kids, but I plan on maintaining my car as best I can pass it on to my son.

35. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Anon I'm 41 I own a Kia Stinger GT AWD and a C7 Z51 Vette with a 7speed. You only grow out of loving fast cars if you want to. I got 2 bad knees and my right ankle is bad. I still bang gears on my Vette like I did in my 20s. That's why Ibuprofen is a thing. Helps with knee and ankle pain

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *