Do you change your oil filter with every oil change?

Do you change your oil filter with every oil change?

It's All Fucked Shirt $22.14

DMT Has Friends For Me Shirt $21.68

It's All Fucked Shirt $22.14

1. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

yes

2. 1 week ago
    Chud Anon

Yeah, my filer is rated for like 1500 more miles than the oil, it’s close enough

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

Yes, obviously, every time

>Rated for xxxxx miles
      That's just advertising. It changes with application and the best thing is to just change oil / filter at regular intervals. Don't ever consider a mileage claim on a product, even the cars themselves, you should change your oil and filter every 5k miles at most even if the manufacturer says 20k (apparently a thing now lol).

• 1 week ago
        Chud Anon

> even if the manufacturer says 20k

That’s BMW because they want their engines to seize as soon as the cars are off lease

• 1 week ago
          Anonymous

I was thinking Range Rover, but for the same reason.

• 1 week ago
          Anonymous

bmw oci was 15k, then engines started locking up so they back pedaled to 10k.

3. 1 week ago
    TooZ

Yes.

4. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

buy an oil filter cutter. make your own call based on what you find. It depends too much on the filter you use and driving conditions for any anon to guess.

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

I don't understand this. Either you find glitter or you don't.

If you find glitter or worse, shards it's straight up rebuild time.

• 1 week ago
        Anonymous

If you do an oil analysis, you can see contents without glitter.
        And by the type of metal, you can tell if it's bearings, cam, etc etc.

But in this case, cutting open the filter would allow you to see general carbon buildup.

• 1 week ago
        Anonymous

no, the pleats expand until they split. my filters about 10K. yours will be different most likely.

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

>buy an oil filter cutter. make your own call based on what you find.
      Is it possible to reassemble and continue to use a filter after it has been cut open? I had no idea.

Meh, I'd rather just spend the $7 on a new one.
      Cutting a filter open to see what it caught might make sense, but I don't think I'd ever consider using one that has been cut apart and reassembled. At that point the cost seems trivial compared to using some hacked up filter back on my car.

• 1 week ago
        Anonymous

You cant.
        I think he means for the next filter. Like if you cut it open at 5000 miles, and it's really clean, then the next time, you can take it further.

It's not a bad idea to cut open filters anyway. I do it all the time, but mainly for aircraft engines.

• 1 week ago
        Anonymous

superglue

5. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

I like to gamble on a $5k+ engine rebuild to save $10 on an oil filter

I do the same thing with gaskets on major repair items, because I’m not a pussy.

6. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

Didn't do it last time because the oil still looked extremely clean, but did the time before that and will do it again next time as well.

7. 1 week ago
    p

I don't personally change my oil due to not poor

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

I change your oil for a living. And yes, I pour (not poor) the the oil from the car in front of you in right after I install the cheapest filter we can buy in bulk.

• 1 week ago
        p

good to know. and don't start asking for tips.

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

Kinda silly not to...what are you saving?...10 bucks and leaving 10-20% of system capacity of dirty oil in your engine...

Being unable or unwilling to perform the most basic of maintenance on your vehicle isn't really a flex. Really pretty easy to put your car on one of your lifts inside your fully equipped 3800sqft shop and change the oil.

• 1 week ago
        p

Anything that requires special tools isn't basic maintenance.

• 1 week ago
          Anonymous

>requires special tools
          it's an oil change

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

Unless you’re sending your chauffeur to change your oil, you’re not saving any time or money taking it somewhere to change it.
      It takes longer to drive to the shop than what it takes to change the oil if you know what you’re doing.

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

I don't just because of limited space and oil disposal. Instead I just take it to a shop, get breakfast and it's done by the time I walk back.

8. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

Yes, I also replace my fuel tank every time I fill up at the gas station

9. 1 week ago
    p

not buying specialty tools, sry. id rather pay some lubegay $100 and keep my hands clean

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

>I'd rather be a useless failure instead of buying a 3 dollar tool and have to wash my hands
      Competency is an attitude.
      One that you don't have.
      Enjoy being useless because you're terrified of using soap.

• 1 week ago
        p™

Those cost like $10 lol

You're under false impression that I can't. I can, just don't want to.
        Why spend an hour changing oil. I can work doing something I actually enjoy and make $100 in the same amount of time.

https://i.imgur.com/Xa8rSRN.jpeg

>she doesn't remove the oil first and then remove the filter
        ngmi

sed·i·ment
        /ˈsedəm(ə)nt/
        noun
        noun: sediment

matter that settles to the bottom of a liquid

• 1 week ago
          Anonymous

Oh hey look he just said an oil change takes an hour! He actually did it!
          Ahahahahaha

• 1 week ago
            p™

> research correct oil
            > go to oil store
            > buy oil
            > find specialty tool
            that's basically an hour right there

• 1 week ago
            Chud Anon

You can get quality Kirkland synthetic while grabbing the rest of your groceries at Costco

• 1 week ago
            p™

its impossible to get in n out at costco in under an hour, especially if samples are out

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

> research correct oil
            > go to oil store
            > buy oil
            > find specialty tool
            that's basically an hour right there

What is with this pathological need to be correct no matter how dumb a thing is said? Why is it so prevalent on DA. Everything feels like a fricking high schooler trying to win debate points.

You're wrong move on.

• 1 week ago
            p™

you're acting like the superman of oil changes. nobody is impressed

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

You're acting like an oil change is impressive and difficult.
            It isn't, you're just useless.

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

You're feeding a known troll

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

> find specialty tool
            lol. just get a cloth for the heat and take it off with your hands

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

or spend 2 minutes on a secret underground website (I'll give you a hint it starts with A) and have it delivered to your door for free, then after the oil change dump some in the box and contact support with pics saying it leaked to get a backup jug for free

• 1 week ago
          Anonymous

>and make $100
          you dont tho

• 1 week ago
          Anonymous

>Life is all about making money
          I find changing the oil to be on the same zen level as gardening. Other car repairs can be a b***h, but changing the oil is a form of meditation for me at this point

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

>she doesn't remove the oil first and then remove the filter
      ngmi

• 1 week ago
        Anonymous

I have one of these and have used it a lot, it seems to do a good job at removing all the oil, but I do wonder if it might be leaving any sludge at the very bottom.

• 1 week ago
        Anonymous

I let gravity do the work.

• 1 week ago
          Anonymous

It’s pretty convenient since you don’t have to jack up the car, assuming your car has a non moronic filter placement that can be accessed from under the hood

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

I use a fujimoto valve and dont even need to jack the car up.

Unless you’re sending your chauffeur to change your oil, you’re not saving any time or money taking it somewhere to change it.
            It takes longer to drive to the shop than what it takes to change the oil if you know what you’re doing.

Total amount of my time to change oil is less than 5 minutes. I do it when i come home from work and take a shower while it's emptying.

Yeah people who talk about time/effort of an oil change are dumb. Like a woman saying laundry day takes 3 hours when 2.5 of those hours is fricking off while they wait for the machine.

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

How do you like the valve? I bought one to install on my next oil change

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

not that anon but i had it on my 96 camry. made for piss easy oil changes. some engines i'd feel sketchy about if the drain plug stuck out lower than the bottom of the pan, but other people don't have problems

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

I was sceptical but had to tryit, tired of dealing with "oem" rubber seals that disintegrate and crush washers.

It works great, easy to use, since the flow is slower it drains only an inch or two from the spout instead of from the pan hole flying 8-10 inches out at first.
            I managed to screw it on sideways and slightly down, so it isnt lower than the pan and a possible hazard. YMMV.

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

Those cost like $10 lol

10. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

I’m white and my IQ is above room temperature, so yes

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

have you been tested ?

11. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

Yeah. Why not? Do you really need to save the $7?

Are you a fricking aspie or something or does your life so SUCK BAD you have to poo poo on everything out there?

12. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

my dealer surely does

13. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

There's no reason not to. Every time I buy oil they always have a deal where a filter is basically free with s 5 qt purchase.

14. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

Yes, because I'm not some stupid poor frick who won't fork up $20 for a filter each oil change, I'd rather not destroy the bearings and rings in any of my engines, especially the built ones.

15. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

The microscopic holes in filters get bigger over time just like washable face masks. I wouldn't risk it if I were serious about keeping the engine high quality, I wouldn't care if I see a car as a throwaway.

16. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

An oil filter for my cars is like $7-$10 depending on the car. Why would I double its replacement interval? Plus I cut it open and inspect it since I do UOA with every change. I know for certain 100% that my engines aren't making metal with every change this way which is nice when 3/5 of them are old and have over 100,000mi on them.

17. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

If you can't afford the extra ~$12 max for a oil filter you should be riding a bicycle to work.
    I'm all about saving money but I hate cheap ass homosexuals so fricking much.
    Congrats, you can afford 3 more cans of Monster energy wow much savings.

18. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

yes because i bought a box of 200 subaru oil filters from a garage for like 50 bucks

19. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

what a retarted question. who changes their oil? you let it burn off.

20. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

Yep because my turbo and warn engine fries the frick out of the oil and i beat them hard

21. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

Modern engines don't destroy their oil so once every 30-50k is perfectly fine from engineering standpoint.

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

Is this true? I've gone very long from my last change.

22. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

I'm trans

23. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

No

I also like to put on used underwear after a shower

24. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

The valvoline guys do it for me. And for $100 bucks they'd better.

25. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

Yes because they are like 10€.

26. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

Of course, every 3k miles

27. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

I think you mean
    >Do you change your oil with every filter change?

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

Not if my engine burns so much oil that I'm adding new oil every week.

28. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

I don't. Because it's just not necessary since the filter has much more filtration capacity vs the lifespan of the oil, it adds a huge amount of mess to the process, and it really doesn't do your car any good. I do topside oil changes so the whole job takes me 5 minutes and I don't even get a drop of oil on my hands. I will change the filter every other oil change and even that may be overkill.

29. 7 days ago
    Anonymous

Yes, only cheap morons don't.

30. 6 days ago
    Anonymous

>Do you change your oil filter with every oil change?
    Yes.... And I replace the radiator cap on my 1968 VW Beetle yearly.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *