Do you need high IQ to fix cars?

POSIWID: The Purpose Of A System Is What It Does Shirt $21.68

It's All Fucked Shirt $22.14

POSIWID: The Purpose Of A System Is What It Does Shirt $21.68

1. 6 days ago
    Anonymous

does a average mechanic look like a high IQ individual to you?

• 6 days ago
      Anonymous

Idk does Stephen Hawking look like a high IQ individual to you?

• 6 days ago
      Anonymous

Dude looks like a dumbass, must be dumb.

• 6 days ago
      Anonymous

Does the average mechanic fix your car or does he swap parts and hope shit works

2. 6 days ago
    Anonymous

If you're smart enough to play with Legos, then you're smart enough to work on cars. It's the same principle.

• 6 days ago
      Anonymous

yes and no
      being a parts replacer is easy
      being a good diagnostician is the hard part and that's where a mechanic's skill and experience comes in

3. 6 days ago
    Anonymous

Cars were designed to be maintained by regular people, usually through law, bur sometimes accidentally by manufacturer. New cars today have more software in them which raises the bar a bit

• 6 days ago
      Anonymous

> New cars today have more software in them which raises the bar a bit
      Sometimes you need to buy manufacturer software to work on them too.

• 6 days ago
        Anonymous

How is this different than teaching a 50 year old some Microsoft Excel basics?

• 6 days ago
        Anonymous

Fires of Rubicon was my 1st Armored Core game and I LOVED it. Soo much customization and it challenged me to get good.

• 5 days ago
          Anonymous

Now get into Armored Core for Answer and experience real speed.

4. 6 days ago
    Anonymous

Yes. Specifically if its a car with a variable valve timing tricked atkinson/miller cycle engine. 2013+ cars are not that easy to repair by regular people anymore.

5. 6 days ago
    Anonymous

no
    if you do it commercially you're just replacing parts anyways so just put the new stuff where to old stuff went.
    if you do it for your own fun then you have all the time in the world so you can Google stuff. if you can follow instructions from a YouTube video or a forum post then you can fix cars.
    It helps if you have some kind of mechanical understanding so you can see what happens if you move a lever, but you don't need to be smart.

• 6 days ago
      Anonymous

>if you do it commercially you're just replacing parts anyways so just put the new stuff where to old stuff went.
      Thats what scam mechanics do. Real mechanics first inspect/analyze the car problems before they replace parts, they dont replace parts that dont need to be replaced.

• 6 days ago
        Anonymous

I don't get your post. Of course you have to do a diagnosis first?
        what I mean is that in the end you still replace the part; there's no "repairing" as such left if you're commercial, because it's just not economic. parts swapping makes more sense from a value standpoint.

6. 6 days ago
    Anonymous

I wouldn't say you need to be high iq, but having a very basic spatial awareness and ability to picture how parts relate to one another helps a lot. as other guys mentioned diag takes a lot of experience, knowledge and instinct sometimes. patience is also a huge virtue when working on cars. it's just like most things where if it were incredibly easy than everyone would do it

7. 6 days ago
    Anonymous

Obviously not. Look at the average IQ on this board.

• 6 days ago
      Anonymous

See you tomorrow wrenchlet. Stay salty.

• 6 days ago
      Anonymous

Yeah, but nobody here actually owns a vehicle, much less knows how to work on one.

• 6 days ago
        Anonymous

no. even diagnosing problems is often as braindead as just fix a bunch of stuff to eliminate possibilities or take the whole thing apart for inspection. most of mechanics work is just wrenching like a monkey for hours. very little brain power.

working on your own car is just a huge time sink that only the low IQ do. people who have high enough iq to make $200k/yr just pay the mechanic

These posts are all by the same wrenchlet btw.

• 6 days ago
          Anonymous

NTA, but why are you seething because someone said your hobby doesn't really take all that much iq?

• 6 days ago
            Anonymous

NTA but he’s only saying it’s low IQ because he’s trying to find ways to justify not being able to work on his own car.

• 6 days ago
            Anonymous

seethe

• 6 days ago
            Anonymous

I’m not. It’s simply the truth.

• 6 days ago
          Anonymous

cope

8. 6 days ago
    Anonymous

No. It's 0 brain cells to follow directions from a israelitetube video or the book.

However, you need high IQ to troubleshoot.

9. 6 days ago
    Anonymous

no. even diagnosing problems is often as braindead as just fix a bunch of stuff to eliminate possibilities or take the whole thing apart for inspection. most of mechanics work is just wrenching like a monkey for hours. very little brain power.

• 6 days ago
      Anonymous

That's not being a mechanic. That's being a parts catalogue reader. True good mechanics live my tried and tested methodology.

10. 6 days ago
    Anonymous

No

11. 6 days ago
    Anonymous

working on your own car is just a huge time sink that only the low IQ do. people who have high enough iq to make $200k/yr just pay the mechanic

• 6 days ago
      Anonymous

i pay the mechanic, but I really hate this pompous attitude and pride in ignorance, nobody thinks you're a better person for refusing to learn something new or work on your own things

• 6 days ago
        Anonymous

who said i didn't do some of my own work? thats how i know how much of a time sink it is. after an hour i start dreading any car or motorcycle work because it takes so long and provides next to 0 intellectual stimulation. even if you're trying to diagnose something, you only think for like five minutes at best and then you spend hours just taking shit apart and putting it back together.

• 6 days ago
          Anonymous

>After an hour i start dreading any car or motorcycle work because it takes so long and provides next to 0 intellectual stimulation

You pussy b***h, lol. Nothing better than the feeling of learning exactly how something works, seeing how it works in front of your eyes and in your hands. The cool viewpoint of disassembling the old thing and viewing the actual failure with your own senses. Testing and confirming methodologically. and after putting it all back together to spec, seeing it start working correctly. so good. The only negative to working on your own shit is that you can make mistakes learning that may be very costly. The feeling of troubleshooting difficult problems, the amazing thoughts to have while thinking about the problem and that amazing feeling of actually nailing the diagnosis and fixing it correctly for cheap beats that. I can make projects happen. I can buy a mechanic special car. I trust myself to inspect a vehicle before purchasing.

I love my old cool motorcycle I restored

• 6 days ago
      Anonymous

Life isn't about how much money you can make
      Life is about the journey you create for yourself
      If you're not challenging yourself a little then you're not in the right place

12. 6 days ago
    Anonymous

No, mechanics are fricking morons who think high school are an elite establishment.

• 6 days ago
      Anonymous

>who think high school are

13. 6 days ago
    Anonymous

IQ proves you can fix IQ scores. IQ test does not make a good mechanic.

14. 6 days ago
    Anonymous

Anyone can do it with the right tools and directions.

15. 6 days ago
    Anonymous

The lower your IQ is, the more likely you are to break something or hurt yourself

• 6 days ago
      Anonymous

This
      Being a good mechanic requires you to be pretty smart and have true common sense

16. 6 days ago
    Anonymous

Diag yes fix no
    Anyone can get into mechanical shit

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *