Do you think when future historians study the decline and collapse of the west they will notice that the fulcrum point happened to exactly coincide wi...

Do you think when future historians study the decline and collapse of the west they will notice that the fulcrum point happened to exactly coincide with the moment that the police started buying Dodge instead of Ford?

POSIWID: The Purpose Of A System Is What It Does Shirt $21.68

CRIME Shirt $21.68

POSIWID: The Purpose Of A System Is What It Does Shirt $21.68

1. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Y'know, at first I was going to shit on this dumb thread, but there's definitely something to be said for cars offering an insight into their drivers. Hell, compare the original miata to current day...

Cars used to have goofy smiles, or at least neutral styling. Now everything looks like angry. Before the inevitable "Chinese market" post, Ford and Dodge both are overwhelmingly Western market manufacturers.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

same reason why grey has become an increasingly popular colour. not as many fun/happy/bright colours get picked now.
      just a sign of the times

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

I was going to shitpost, but you made me reconsider. There's something to be said about the Charger taking over simultaneously with the heavy militarization of police. We went from Crown Vics to the most aggressive sedan on the market. Cars started getting all black paint jobs and their drivers started wearing full kit even in small towns. It's kind of wild the correlation there.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

[...]
        yup. Crown Vics are neutral to friendly. They are the business casual of cars. Chargers are aggressive and cool looking. Chargers were made with the intent of going fast, part of the 'modern muscle' thing, where as crown vics were marketed as a comfortable cruiser. When at any other point has a muscle car been used as a police cruiser? It represents a shift in mindset of the police, or at very least the people in charge of deciding what cars to buy

[...]
        yup. Crown Vics are neutral to friendly. They are the business casual of cars. Chargers are aggressive and cool looking. Chargers were made with the intent of going fast, part of the 'modern muscle' thing, where as crown vics were marketed as a comfortable cruiser. When at any other point has a muscle car been used as a police cruiser? It represents a shift in mindset of the police, or at very least the people in charge of deciding what cars to buy

Holy shit. Imagine being so wrong and being this much of a actual homosexual.
        >waaah it's mean and aggressive
        Lmao, if I see a charger behind me I assume it's just a Black person or poorgay. Aggressive or militaristic? It looks like a cheap piece of shit made out of plastic. It's nowhere as big as a Crown Vic. The sheer mass of them, unique shape and overwhelming use by law enforcement in the early 2010s would give you heart papilations if a geriatric old man was driving one and came up behind you. Never had this with the charger. Never had this with the Explorer. Nobody DARED to pass a cop in a crown vic on a highway, if he was going 60, 30 cars behind him would also be doing 60. I've passed them in chargers going 20 MPH. They don't register as a threat in my brain. You idiots are either underage or bus riders or never go outside. Imagine having such a fricking moronic take. Literal reddit tier.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

it helps that the charger had several front-end refreshes and the cops generally only drive the newer ones. the vic stayed the same for years, so it was way more iconic.
          but it's also definitely friendlier-looking than the charger. it kind of looks like a neighborhood cop with a stern but unbothered gaze. the charger looks like someone permanently pissed in its cornflakes.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

If you're this blind to the subjective aesthetics of a car no amount of words will help. Regardless of learned connotations, the charger is styled to look as aggressive as possible. The crown Vic is not. Thus thread.

I know it helps you autists to have things spelled out so here ya go.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

how else will people know that you're NOT POOR?

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

This boy is happy

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

smug bastard

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

I was going to shitpost, but you made me reconsider. There's something to be said about the Charger taking over simultaneously with the heavy militarization of police. We went from Crown Vics to the most aggressive sedan on the market. Cars started getting all black paint jobs and their drivers started wearing full kit even in small towns. It's kind of wild the correlation there.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Literally more HP than a 5.7 pursuit chargy wargy.
        CAFE killed every body on frame V8 sedan (the ideal fleet vehicles) and the Charger was the only thing left that was full size and had a NA V8 that wasn't a even bigger nig mobile (300).

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>Literally more HP than a 5.7 pursuit chargy wargy.
          Nah, not really close. Don't get me wrong 440 pursuit polara's were based as frick but they were never as fast as the 5.7 LX charger's, even pre-eagle. The 1970 polara 440 pursuit held the police car top speed record until the '06 charger came out (the LX's first year).
          Converted from gross HP to net the 440 made peak power in 1970 with roughly 310 hp and 400 lb/ft, actually pretty similar to the pre-eagle hemi @ 340 hp/390 lb/ft. 0-60 times for a peak year range polar 440 seem to be in the upper/mid 6 seconds to low 7 seconds, which is slightly slower than the modern charger, especially considering the modern charger weighs more too.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Not the point of the post, but its impressive to think some kludge of a car from the 60s can actually keep up with early 2000s cruisers

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACMENT SONNY

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>CAFE killed every body on frame V8 sedan
          i was looking it up and chrysler at least seemingly moved everything over to unibody in 1960, with the exception of the imperial. I think back then they just didn't know about crumple zones as much as they do now, so the cars were still able to take a serious beating, although the people inside might not fare as well.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

The question was why did they start buying Chargers. CAFE and the corporate downsizing of the 80's pushed most sedans to FWD unibody. The M body was unibody but was was RWD V8 so it was somewhat popular but they were always third place to Ford and Chevy and was killed by the late 80's.
            The Caprice was redesigned and downsized for 77 and the Panther was brand new,so they were the most modern full sized body on frame sedans going into the 80's. Because of their size being large compared to later 80's developed cara and being body on frame, they were popular with other fleet buyers aside from the police. Chevy offered a better police package buy by 96 they killed the Caprice off. After 96 there was literally nothing else, Ford tried to kill or replace it like 3 times but fleet sales kept it viable. There was some safety feature that was required for the 2012 mod year that made them just kill it outright since they wanted to shut down St. Thomas.
            By virtue of existing the Charger was the only thing that could somewhat fill it's role. A normal croosier low output V8 full size car was too much of a burden for anyone to keep around because of CAFE, with the exception of the Charger because it was specifically targeting the muscle car market, which is why no one else had a competitor.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Dodge has historically been the car of choice for cops. In the '70s the fastest stock car in the USA was the '74 Dodge Monaco Police Package with the 440.
            They stopped buying Mopar when they went FWD, and only bought Ford/Chevy for the same reason the New Charger got bought: because that's what was available that fit the bill.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

You are over thinking it. A lot of police departments mandate an American made police car, the Caprice was from Australia. Cops like a column shifter, the Caprice initially did not. Charger was offered in AWD for V6 and V8, the Caprices was not. The Charger was cheaper and more parts availability.

Ford Taurus was a fwd chassis that somehow had bad interior space and the powertrains had typical early direct injection issues. The Ecoturd was obviously more maintenance heavy vs a cast iron v8.

However it was not a total wash, for some reason Dodge would not put the effort into making their SUVs and trucks up to the pursuit specs governments desired so Ford and Chevy dominated in those areas.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>Caprice was from Australia.
            I'm clearly talking about B bodies.
            There was literally nothing comparable to the Panther platform post from 1996 to end of production. The Charger was the only thing that was full size,RWD and had a V8 at any point between 1996 and 2011 that hypothetically fits the bill as a successor, not some police militarization bullshit.

2. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Pretty sure Ferd is still the most popular unless youre a sheriff or something

3. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

America died with the body on frame sedan, we just haven't got the memo yet.

4. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Cops have been buying mopar since the fricking 60s man. Hell they used to drive AMCs once upon a time. Does that reflect a 'fall' too?

5. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

They still buy Ford. This is by far the most common police car I see on the road today.

6. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

All kidding aside, the "fulcrum point" was women's suffrage.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *