>Doing some stop and go driving. >nice 6.6L Duramax clatters up to the light. >clattering stops. >green light

>Doing some stop and go driving
>nice 6.6L Duramax clatters up to the light
>clattering stops
>green light
>starts up again
>next light
>engine turns off
>guy has to take is foot off the brake early at yellow light just so is truck is running come go time
>repeat several times
Are new cars and trucks gonna be okay? I don't think it's good just to shut off a turbocharged engine that they're all coming with now.

Shopping Cart Returner Shirt $21.68

The Kind of Tired That Sleep Won’t Fix Shirt $21.68

Shopping Cart Returner Shirt $21.68

1. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>Are new cars and trucks gonna be okay?
    no they aren't, and it's by design
    starters are now a wear item lmao

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>Are new cars and trucks gonna be okay?
      do you care about them? do you want to see them around in 10 years time?

>starters are now a wear item lmao
      the car itself is one, not the starter

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Follow your own logic with that statement
        >new cars are garbage
        >old cars are better
        Simple enough
        >do you want to see them in 10 years?
        If new cars keep getting worse and you want older cars to stay on thw road you should care about the cars we have now lasting as long as possible.
        The supply of good 90s cars is running out, and if cars are only going to get worse and worse you should give all of the fricks about everything on the road today. Because in 20 years your moronic old ass is going to say "damn I wish i could find a 2018 duramax they dont make em like that anymore" while saying "u rly want 2 c deez cars in 10 yrs lmao?!" like a fricking idiot.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>to keep old cars alive we need new cars to last a long time
          are you being moronic on purpose?

>in 20 years your moronic old ass is going to say "damn I wish i could find a 2018 duramax they dont make em like that anymore"
          in a billion years i still won't buy anything newer than 2010, you should consider not speaking for a while

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>you should care about the cars we have now lasting as long as possible.
          This, it's such a cop out when people say, "oh just buy a car from the 90s (before they became rare and collectable with some of them) or "Just buy a 2000s car" meanwhile they're falling off the map or getting eaten by LKQ everyday, new cars need to be good, especially you're an enjoyed of cheap used cars, because that $3000 Civic, or that hot little Corolla hatch you got in the future has got a pair of $779 OEM headlights, so don't breathe on that damn car too hard, cause you're gonna total it, these are not real economy cars like back in the day with the cheap bulbs, these things are fricking fancy.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Buy your future vehicles now. I did long before and many anons have several rides in reserve.
          Learn to wrench or suck the wiener you are given. There is no excuse. Just do it. You save absurd
          money for life which more than pays for tools, equipment and helps pay off your property since serious mechanics can and do DIY everything else (so I did).

Vehicle availability is cyclic. Early 2000s vehicles of quality are less available. I lived through previous generations of cars and trucks becoming expensive "classics". That's why I have three trucks tagged and driven and four in reserve, not to mention the classic motorcycle collection.

If you want it in future make the effort.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

That must be why cars last longer today than they did 20 years ago

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

How do you know that? newish cars aren't even really old to really reveal themselves, and still outrageous issues will pop up on certain cars that were unheard of in the 2000s, like head gaskets not sealing on small turbo engines, Ford and Honda know how to make a naturally aspirated 4 cylinder engine, and even they can't make these things not end up swallowing coolant sometimes, and I'm hoping the GDi on a lot of newer cars stays working and there aren't huge carbon problems where cars start misfiring.

There are issues we haven't even seen on newer cars, and they're all loaded up with so much stuff that we don't know the reliability and cost of when it goes out.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>head gasket issues didn't exist on 2000s cars
          Lmao. 90s plastic water pumps, cv axles, power steering problems, ratty 4 speed autos that are near death at 120k, alignment suspension parts that wont hold longer than 8k miles,

Old car = better on some survivorship bias bullshit.
          No the only reason old cars are "better" is they arent chock full of computers, expensive sensor integrated parts, and the slow rot evolution of integrating integration packaging that can make repairs unnecessarily complicated.

The lifespan of the car is NOT let me repeat NOT why people are saying 90s cars are better. Every era has cheap throwaway pieces of shit that are rolling garbage by 150k miles.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>new technology had problems when it was first introduced

damn no way

>90s plastic water pumps
            as opposed to all the alu/steel parts in todays cars, oh wait HAHAHAHAHA, seriously though ive owned several 90s cars with alu pumps so idk wtf youre on about

>cv axles, alignment, suspension
            idk what trashy ass shit youve driven but ive never heard of or experienced that. lasts 150k miles usually

obviously you can find trash from the 90s. but you cant really argue your way out of the lifespan of modern cars being shit vs what was once made. i see 10-15 year old cars with bigger issues than most 20-30 year old cars have all the time, so a lot of the time i just stay away from the newer shit when i buy projects. serviced a 12 year old car with an oil pan leak and my own 30 year old car still has the original oil pan gasket and is bone dry (i was actually replacing the entire gearbox on this thing lolol). both VAG cars, so not even "no u just have a different brand!!1!1" type of thing.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>i see 10-15 year old cars with bigger issues than most 20-30 year old cars have all the time
            SURVIVORSHIP BIAS.

A >well maintained< car can last as long as the frame doesn't rot. Well maintained being, the car is driven appropriately (gentle throttle until warm up, never pushing past 3k rpm, turning below 15mph, letting the trans shift slowly), and everything that should be replaced does get replaced. You aren't seeing a 1986 Buick Skylark still on the road unless it has been lightly driven and well taken care of.
            My gramps owned a 1997 taurus up until he died in 2016. It had less than 110k on the clock by then and the only service it ever got were fluids brakes and tires. Car was driven so gently by a patient older man that at that point the factory mounts, rubbers and plastics still weren't worn out.

Survivorship bias. Look it up.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

you can claim that but how do you explain the rapidly dropping avg age of once long lived brand names such as volvo and mercedes? fair enough i'll say that some of the 30 year old cars i see are indeed well kept, but far from all of them. i personally prefer working on the most far gone cars so thats usually what i see.

usually what causes people to scrap a car now seems to be that some extremely expensive (labor intensive) sensor dies or something like that. many of the newer cars being sold cheap arent necessarily in bad condition but you often see shit like "hybrid battery dead", "air suspension bust", "crank sensor issue engine wont start". you also physically strain engines more (more power/torque in smaller engines) so i see more newer cars with blown head gaskets, which is a lot harder to service than what it used to be on older cars.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>rapidly dropping avg age
            My life is a circus, and I am tripping down that tight rope.
            Well there is nothing to save me now, so I will not look down.

And again, and again, and again
            (and it happens again)
            And again, and again...

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

well no shit people keep holding onto their old cars now that the newer one are trash and people cant afford new cars anymore.

but yeah fine point taken. i shouldve said mileage instead. how many mercedes CDI engines do you see making it to 1 million miles vs the W124/W123 diesel engines for instance?

and of course youll find some good brands still. toyota is ridiculously reliable even now.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>a low stress, low output, non turbo, all iron, inefficient by modern standard, filthy by modern standard diesel
            Gee Billy I have no idea why those aren't made anymore. Might have something to do with people taking pollution and carcinogens seriously. Might be the reason why your little part of the world isn't a cancer-smog airzone anymore, but you're too young to know what places like New York and LA looked like before pansy librul environmentals said "MAKE IT CLEAN GOD DAMN IT"

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

been called both boomer and zoomer for my views, make up your minds. seriously though this is DA do you think anybody here gives a shit about your global warming bullshit? besides i dont live in a city. take the subway then or some shit envirotard

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

God you're dumb. well anyway

You dont remember how dirty the air was in the 70s because you probably weren't even alive, and if you were you were a child or in any case don't really remember something that was normalized.
            There, make enough sense for you?

full annunciation is for plebs aint nobody got time for dat
            I also slur words together and create new contractions out of thin air. Saves time, you heard me anyways. Get over it.

enunciation you moronic shit.
            Annunciate is when God comes to purge the unclean.
            Enunciate is saying words correctly.

Sorry sorry hold on
            Ehnunshiate iz wen u say da wurdz rite.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

more like i dont live in a city. if you truly believe tailpipe emissions from cars caused your shithole city to drown in smog youre moronic. go blame the factories nearby. literally what caused the london smog was the factories.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

They hate it because it breaks the amazing refinement that modern cars have, you pay all this money for something that goes down the road smoother than an old shitbox from 20 years ago, you get to a stop, and then the engine shutters to a stop, and then shutters back to life, it's just cringe.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

What’s cringe is the fact that you don’t know that the word is “shudders”, because you pronounce Ts as Ds like a moron.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

full annunciation is for plebs aint nobody got time for dat
            I also slur words together and create new contractions out of thin air. Saves time, you heard me anyways. Get over it.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

*anyway

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Frick you, you gaslighting piece of shit.
            https://newatlas.com/automotive/j-d-power-u-s-vds-iqs-auto-industry-quality-dropping/

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>gentle throttle until warm up, never pushing past 3k rpm, turning below 15mph, letting the trans shift slowly), and everything that should be replaced does get replaced

Dumb ass boomer

Yeah I dumped the clutch & floored my Elantra to redline every day and shifted pretty quickly. Ran it to 300k miles, changed the oil regularly, belts, tires and bulbs as needed very little ever went wrong with it. I sold it to my brother cause I was tired of him breaking down in random shitboxes. But he refused to change the tires and he was too stupid to pull over when one blew out so kept driving it till the belt unplugged a sensor and killed the engine. Driving hard is fine but being lazy and moronic kills cars

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Based redliner, I noticed that realy old cars that get revved out regularly tend to run better, probably because the carbon is breaking off, an old high mileage engine that's only croozed at low rpm can have so much carbon buildup, you you can get pinging due to the compression ratio of the cylinder being raised so much from all the cabron.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

carbon**

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

can confirm, my 2021 chevy cruze lasted until 2041, just last year. so true fellow time traveller

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>That must be why cars last longer today than they did 35 years ago.
        Fixed, 1998-2007 cars do outlast most of 2019+cars.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Starters were always a wear item.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

They wear out, but they're not a consumable item, a lot of cars are coming with a counter where after a certain amount of stop starts, you have to replace it, my last starter went 17 years before it started sticking, that's not a wear item, it's a part of the car that fricks up and you replace it when it does, not when the car says to.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>it's not a wear item
          All items are wear items. The sooner you make that a part of your mindset the better you'll see cars for what they are.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Get back to work at the dealership, Brad

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

God damn part replaces who work at the dealer and their mentality are basically ruining cars.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Same as industry. All items really are wear items. Aircraft lifecycle management is perhaps the ultimate example. Do not confuse that with "disposable".

You can overhaul many vehicles to "zero time" but it's not cheap except for Harley-Davidsons and 1970s and prior trucks.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Starters got brushes. Those are wear items and they are part of a standard rebuild. Solenoid as well.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

To add on to this I have rebuilt the starter on about 7 out of 8 of the cars I have owned and a bunch of my friends have done the same. Some on cars we have had from new from the mid 00's before all the auto stop shenanigans

2. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

6.6 Duramax doesn't have auto start/stop.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I might've mislabeled that truck, apparently a 3.0L Duramax exists for silverados, that's still terrible to just shut off a turbo diesel engine, modern synthetic oil is still good but I wouldn't just shut it off and then back on over and over.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

3.0 definitely has it because it is basically a penalty engine.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

I have never fried a turbo by stopping. What next. You can't never shut down engine cause you shut cooling and oil flow. Must left idle for night.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

You're obviously a normal human being who wasn't just beating it's ass and shut off the hot turbo, but you don't understand normie car buyers, you've gotta imagine a single mother light for work who get in on a cold engine and immediately starts beating the cars ass, and then shuts this heatsoaked as frick engine and turbo down, this is the life economy cars live, and they can stand up to that when they have a naturally aspirated, low horsepower engine with 20 weight oil, but the pressures in modern turbo engines are so extreme, that you can't just beat the frick out of the engine, combined with lack of maintenance that economy cars get, it's gonna have a failure way before old cars used to.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>light for work
            late for work

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Car wont heatsoak from normal driving unless someone is red light/stop sign racing from startup to shut down. A mile of steady speed is enough to bleed off 20-30C if the oil really is too hot.
            I spent a lot of time looking this stuff up because I was worried about my mother's shitty 1.4T Cruze, oil coking in the turbo line should only happen from late oil changes not temp related burn off.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>oil coking in the turbo line should only happen from late oil changes not temp related burn off
            That's kind of the problem, the people who buy cruzes, and 1.5T Hondas are not being doing maintenance to a T, they're the people doing 10,000 mile oil changes and thinking that's fine, and the old naturally aspirated engines used to stand up to that, but turbos cannot, you''ll get shaft play, underboost codes, it's gonna be a nightmare man, you're probably gonna have people in the future ruining their entire lives over a used 1.5T Civic that's got turbo or oiling issues, or it's doing the $5500 intermittent misfire, which means pull the head, or just get a junkyard engine and go on with it.

It's not good Anon, old naturally aspirated cars wouldn't even need large maintenance items until they were in their teenage years, and still it was regular maintenance, but already cars are having massive failures before they're even a decade old.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

They are putting 1.2L turbo engines in SUVs now. If that car isnt in your way going obnoxiously slow, it is going full throttle

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

That's basically exactly what happened with the BMW turbo V8s.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>Aluminum
        >Timing chain BEHIND the engine
        >Oh btw just drop the trans every 100k to change out the belt for your electronically controlled variable displacement oil pump

3. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Don't you care about saving emissions from killing the planet you God damn Texan?

4. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

You can keep your foot on the brake in most systems and it restarts. You just have to ease off the brake pressure a little until it is just about holding and the engine will start without you rolling forward.

Literally a skill issue if you have a problem with it.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>You're braking it wrong
      Cringe

5. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

My new trugg has this shit and it turns itself back on every time you restart it. But I just stuck a piece of zip tie in the button to keep it held down to keep it off permanently.

6. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I don't understand why auto start/stop makes people seethe so much. even normies hate it. I've driven several cars with it and it never bothered me at all.
    explain what the problem is without mentioning starter wear.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

extra wear on mounts and upper engine/valvetrain, annoying to feel, annoying to have delayed motion/response, it's only worth 1MPG and comes with extra cost.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Its not that bad if its well setup
      But then you got
      >Startup delay + waiting for the gearing to happen
      >OR very poor setup to reengage(such as needing to hit START instead of just pressing down the brake to release the brake hold)
      >Start+stop + manual + needing to reclutch after start/stop
      >No sanity check, and it happens a few hundred meters after you leave your parking lot, resulting in another cold start of the engine
      >Very randomly decides to stop, instead of pressing brake into hold + 5-10 seconds

https://i.imgur.com/lOOnFIO.jpeg

nucars are shit

My bet is on poorly implemented hybrid systems + E10 fuel.
      Also pandemic leading to lower throughput, meaning a lot of the worse assemblies get forced trough the door to keep the factories running instead of scrapping more parts ahead of assembly.

Also there is LG pouch cells somewhere in that chart, for both BEV and hybrids.

7. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

nucars are shit

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I wonder how much of that is from cars not being driven, or sitting in lots.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

That's not even a good reason for them to be shit, dealers struggled to move 2009 model year cars during the recession, and they didn't have these absurd failures when they did get sold.

8. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>I don't think it's good just to shut off a turbocharged engine
    Wow, I wonder if the engineers thought of that, then they could do something like program the ECU so that it doesn't auto-stop if the engine has reasons to stay running.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>He thinks the autistic as frick people who engineer cars with plastic and other failure crap to save weight and emissions would make a car reliable enough to not be replaced
      It's the engineers dilemma Anon, companies realized that reliability doesn't sell cars, the last thing they need is another "old Mercedes moment" where people are driving the same car for 40 years.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>20km/h during drive cycle to allow trigger
      Thats a frickup
      >brake
      27%, instead of mandating a Hold input via full depress . Another engineering mistake

You should also note it says ECT, which is not a valid Wikipedia abbreviation.
      To work the AutoStop by this chart, you can do it on a COLD engine.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

ECT = Engine Coolant Temperature.
        >you can do it on a COLD engine
        So?

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

I can think of a better way to tell it:
          Coolant isn't engine oil. Engine oil has WRONG lubricity until its hot enough. Meanwhile coolant will STAY in environment temperatures under a lot of cases, which in a cold engine is times where you don't want start/stop to happen.

9. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>people who abuse their cars end up breaking them sooner now than before
    Wow, epic! Those people are not the ones who were maintaining 20-30 year old beaters. The people who take care of their cars are still using existing ones and have no need to buy new.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>The people who take care of their cars are still using existing ones and have no need to buy new.
      Eventually they will Anon, as cars get super old and scarce, parts availability becomes a problem, the whole "just never buy anything" cop out is stupid, this is our problem even if they're all under warranty, because they will become what's available to buy.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

My point is the people who actually maintain cars well for 15+ years aren't the people who are buying brand new cars. So the people crying about cars breaking so easily now are the morons who never could maintain cars and thus their opinions are meaningless. I can't tell you how many people from this board alone think oil changes are unnecessary LMAO. These are the same morons who cry about their engines blowing up at <100k

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>My point is the people who actually maintain cars well for 15+ years aren't the people who are buying brand new cars.
          Very true, but when I videos of 2018 Honda 1.5T engines needing either a head gasket job at 80,000 miles, that's bad, people often still owe money on these damn things and it can't even be trusted, the whole point of a nice low mileage car that's not a million years old is the trust, not having to worry about anything for a while as you make payments on it,, but they're actually junk, doesn't matter who's making it, if it's got a meme turbo engine, you can't trust it.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>but when I videos
            when I see videos*

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>videos

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I'm not bullshitting look at this, 2021 model and it's garbage.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Look anon
            Is this a real statistical sample? Or is this a shop in a densely populated migration zone that specializes in doing those types of job for slightly cheaper?

Is the video staged? Such as in adding boost until it b breaks the gasket, or using fuel additives that eat the gasket? Or do it represent a genuine case of long distance wear?
            And why is a vehicle under warranty landing on a youtube video?

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *