>driving a car with an uneven number of cylinders. >in a world with even number strokes

>driving a car with an uneven number of cylinders
>in a world with even number strokes
Enjoy your eternal vibrations of the first and second order

Ape Out Shirt $21.68

Yakub: World's Greatest Dad Shirt $21.68

Ape Out Shirt $21.68

1. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Also applies to cylinderlets and v6 shitters

2. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

That's not how that works.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Dive into the topic and learn something you moron.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

if you cant construct a regular sided pentagon with a compass and straightedge, you have lost your rights to engineering, physics and maths all eternity

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

pythagoras was a corn fearing homosexual, i dont abide by your rules

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Dubbs but it was beans, corn didn't exist in his world

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

you are thinking of maize

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

my latin teacher would slap the shit out of you

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

How do you explain pre-Columbian old world corn sculpture?

https://i.imgur.com/pLOs4vw.jpeg

>driving a car with an uneven number of cylinders
            >in a world with even number strokes
            Enjoy your eternal vibrations of the first and second order

A five cylinder has more firing pulses per rotation than 4 and there’s an overlap between them so like one combustion is still finishing while another starts. Idk how or if that improves or corrects imbalance but it reduces vibration and that feels like the same thing.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

That looks nothing like corn.

3. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I had an old I5 diesel merc, it already vibrated so much that any additional wouldn’t be noticeable

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

yeah but it will run off olive oil and piss...forever

4. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

sounds like a (you) problem

5. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>A disadvantage of the odd number of cylinders in a straight-five engine is it results in imperfect primary and secondary engine balance, unlike a straight-six engine which has perfect primary and secondary balance. Counterweights on the crankshaft can be used to reduce the vibrations from these imbalances.

6. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

The real reason i5s don't exist is because they're impossible to carburete with fewer than 5 individual carbs. This made them historically impractical. Since they switched to of fuel injection, companies have still been going with the historical designs because there isn't a reason to reinvent the wheel.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

my volvo is I5 and its common engine

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

It has been done but it's not common

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>two entire generations of the golf/rabbit/jetta had an inline 5
          literally the definition of common. they just went the way of the dodo because why make fun engines with middling power when you can just slap a EA888 in everything

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Two generations of one platform is not the definition of "common". There are only a handful of cars that have ever used it. i5 is literally the least common engine configuration, it is even outnumbered by v10 and v12. And the reason is because they couldn't be easily evenly carbureted.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I thought they had a vr5

Btw vr engines are absolute earcandy and w engines are just two vrs stuck together so they also sound funky af

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

sounds like bullshit. one throttle body per cylinder has been feasible since the 30s

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Look it up.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

People saying it doesn't make it true.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

you pick show 6 dual throat carbs. not throttle bodies

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I know this is bullshit because I owned a 240Z that was carbureted by a single 38/38 DGAS.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

There was never a 5-cylinder 240z.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Why can you feed 6 cylinders from a single carburetor but not 5?

you pick show 6 dual throat carbs. not throttle bodies

The barrel of a carburetor is a throttle body.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Two cylinders can fire at once and it could be too lean for one carb with low CFM. The problem is that adjustment will never allow a carb 5 cylinder to be minimally efficient to a 4 cylinder before fuel injected by rail.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Neither an I5 nor an I6 fires two cylinders at once unless you're doing some moronic motorcycle big bang bullshit.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

You're an idiot.
            You don't need a dual plane and multiple barrel carb.

The Ford 300 Big Six was only available with a single plane intake and single barrel carb for its entire production run until EFI.
            That setup would not know the difference between a 6 cylinder or a 5 cylinder.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>Why can you feed 6 cylinders from a single carburetor but not 5

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Finally OP reveals the whole reason why he made the thread. Leaving aside the fact the conclusion of the video is wrong, because it's obviously possible to feed a 5 cylinder with 5 carbs, you also got the wrong conclusion about engine balance because both inline 3 and inline 5's have less secondary vibration than an inline 4 (and an inline 2, obviously).

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I'm the carb guy, I'm not OP. If you refer to my original comment, I said "impossible to carburete with fewer than 5 individual carbs" so you're not disagreeing with anything I've said. I know you can carb an i5 with 5 carbs but that's not practical for a vehicle meant for regular consumers. Your mom doesn't want a car with 5 carbs, she wants a car with one carb per intake manifold. Engines with one carb per cylinder (or one barrel per cylinder in the case of those double/triple carbs) are reserved for enthusiast vehicles where power comes at the cost of complexity. Yet there's no reason to use an i5 for that application in the first place when you can use a i6 or v8. Thus the 5-carbed i5 is practically useless.

>You got the wrong conclusion about engine balance
            The reason I replied to OP is because he was wrong about the engine balance.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

The rough running has nothing to do with the intake you mong. Its literally because of the weird firing. EVERY odd number inline engine runs like a sack of shit.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Aren't confusing odd fire engines with engines with an odd number of cylinders? Most econo engines are now 3 cylinders and they hardly sound rough. On the other hand, many early 90° v6 were odd fire and even though they have perfect primary balance from the counterweights (like any vtwin) they sounded and felt rough, as if they were misfiring.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

aren't inline 5 engines (no not that diesel one) known for running really smooth and being well balanced?

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

They're known for running smoother than an I4 and sounding sick

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

They're known for running smoother than an I4 and sounding sick

yeah its abut the way they rev

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

uneven cylinder engines (like all engines) are balanced at the crankshaft. Heavier crank than i4 or i6.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I'm the carb guy, I'm not OP. If you refer to my original comment, I said "impossible to carburete with fewer than 5 individual carbs" so you're not disagreeing with anything I've said. I know you can carb an i5 with 5 carbs but that's not practical for a vehicle meant for regular consumers. Your mom doesn't want a car with 5 carbs, she wants a car with one carb per intake manifold. Engines with one carb per cylinder (or one barrel per cylinder in the case of those double/triple carbs) are reserved for enthusiast vehicles where power comes at the cost of complexity. Yet there's no reason to use an i5 for that application in the first place when you can use a i6 or v8. Thus the 5-carbed i5 is practically useless.

>You got the wrong conclusion about engine balance
            The reason I replied to OP is because he was wrong about the engine balance.

>NOOOOO! YOU CAN'T RUN MORE THAN FIVE CYLINDERS OFF A SINGLE CARB! THE RUNNERS HAVE TO BE EVEN BECAUSE... WELL, THEY JUST DO, OKAY?
            Measure the runner lengths on this manifold, moron.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

The rough running has nothing to do with the intake you mong. Its literally because of the weird firing. EVERY odd number inline engine runs like a sack of shit.

Oh my God, just watch the video you dumb fricking morons. There is literally an animation explaining all of this to you.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I did watch the video, homosexual. His
            >Hurr, muh firing order
            argument holds absolutely zero water because there's no reason you can't use a 1-5-2-4-3 firing order on an I5. The real reason that no one made I5s is that it's a dumb idea, which he alludes to why he points out that no one made diesel I5s either, even though they don't have the carburetor "problem" that gas engines do.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>he points out that no one made diesel I5s either
            But both VW/Audi and Mercedes did, and that's just in passenger cars

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Mercedes only started making diesel inline 5s because they needed a bigger engine and an inline 6 wouldn't fit, while it would be too expensive to make a brand new v6 compared to simply adding one more cylinder to the existing engine. Audi did it for the same exact reason, as did most other manufacturers

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Cite your source. (I'm kidding, I know you made that up because you're moronic.)

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Yes, let me source 60's german documents. Will a picture of the w115 engine bay with the 5 cylinder om617 do? The w115 had petrol 6 cylinder engines, but they have smaller bore and stroke are obviously lighter than a 6 cylinder version of the om616. Even if you squeezed in a 6 cylinder diesel by fiddling with the radiator and replacing the pulley driven radiator fan it would probably make the front end too heavy.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

You consider this evidence that they would've preferred a 6-cylinder but couldn't make it to fit? How about this, they designed that car and that engine together, if they wanted to fit a 6-cyl they could've easily, but they chose not to. You're wrong, sorry, and there are no German documents to source that would say otherwise because, again, you're wrong.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

How were the car and the engine designed together if the w115 was designed in the 60's and the om617 was designed in the 70's?

Maybe you were thinking of the w123, which arrived later, and which does have enough room for a 6 cylinder diesel, even though it never got one. Perhaps the turbo diesel version it got made it redundant, but i'm just guessing.
            It took until the w124 and it's brand new engines before mercedes had a car range with a 4, 5 and 6 cylinder engines.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I was talking about the W115 and the OM616, as well as the W126 and OM617. Again, your claim that they "couldn't make them fit" is baseless as moronic.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Why the w126 specifically when it's predecessor, the w116, already used the om617 (and a turbocharged version at that)? But look, you made me look up a technical paper that confirms what i said regarding the om617 and the w115:
            http://www.w124performance.com/docs/mb/other/SAE_OM617.95X_Development.pdf

Which also makes me point out another quirk of mercedes back then, which was to never make an engine that powers a single car, even the 6.3/600 sel shared it's engine with the 600 limousine.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>disregarding an ENTIRE generation of volvo P2 cars made with 5 cylinders ranging from 2l to 2.5l built for fricking 15 years straight.
            >well known for being one of the most bulletproof engines you can get on a 21st century car while still having decent-ish power numbers and great tuning capacities.

Are you fricking moronic or just pretending? Obviously inline 5's got phased out because of emission cuckery but you can still get one in the RS3.

I'm not even mentioning Audi here, that's another 20 years of high performance 5 cylinder engines.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>Now he's saying I5s don't work because you can't plumb five cylinders into a single cat
            Holy cope lmao

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

What? Im shitting on the dude calling i5's a dumb idea.

Im not homosexual op

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>disregarding an ENTIRE generation of volvo P2 cars made with 5 cylinders ranging from 2l to 2.5l built for fricking 15 years straight.
            >well known for being one of the most bulletproof engines you can get on a 21st century car while still having decent-ish power numbers and great tuning capacities.

Are you fricking moronic or just pretending? Obviously inline 5's got phased out because of emission cuckery but you can still get one in the RS3.

I'm not even mentioning Audi here, that's another 20 years of high performance 5 cylinder engines.

[...]
            Mercedes only started making diesel inline 5s because they needed a bigger engine and an inline 6 wouldn't fit, while it would be too expensive to make a brand new v6 compared to simply adding one more cylinder to the existing engine. Audi did it for the same exact reason, as did most other manufacturers

Sure is a lot of responding to tone in here. The fact of the matter is that the reason I5s are uncommon is because the majority of manufacturers don't see the point of making one, not because there's some sort of major engineering hurdle involved. It's entirely possible to make an I5 with performance directly between an I4 and I6 today, just like it was 70 years ago.

• 3 weeks ago
            [PLEBSPOTTERS] BigC

I have a diesel I5

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

You do if you don't want the v6 to run like shit. The fact you don't know about PGM is how little you know.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>v6
            >some honda bullshit
            Which post did you mean to reply to?

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Driving for Answers is dunning-kruger incarnate, he has some of the dumbest takes imaginable but he'll never be proven wrong because he somehow amassed a huge following of legitimately dumb people who flood his comments with posts telling him how great and insightful his latest dumb video is.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

two words. pleneum and manifold. you are a stupid frick

7. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Your wife enjoyed eternal vibrations with my number of strokes.

>Verification not required

8. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>Enjoy your eternal vibrations of the first and second order
    imagine not enjoying it

9. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Straight 3 with a T configuration on the crank.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

120 degrees . isn't that a Y

10. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>using more than one stroke

11. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

bitches don't know about my overlapping power strokes

12. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

atkinson cycle is a thing moron

13. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

1) how many 3s and 5,s are there compared to ANY other # of cylinders?
    2) Why is the idea of odd cylinders limited to 3s and 5s? Where are the 7s and 9s etc outside the world of radial engines?
    If we don't count single cylinders then about 95% of all reciprocating engines ever designed have an even number. Don't act as if there wasn't a very good reason for that.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

3 cylinder is not popular due to sound cutoff per cylinder, which will create a buzzing noise of an exhaust note at any speed. 5 cylinder has some overlap that mimics odd fire muscle car sound. 7 cylinder is limited to space and design,

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

3 cylinder engines are extremely common in the commercial world. Things from reefer units to landscaping equipment run small 3cyl diesels. There are a plethora of 3cyl recreation vehicles like snowmobiles and UTV's. 5 and 7 cyl engines are pretty pointless but you do still see them in shit like ships where space isn't really an issue.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Nearly every car manufacturer has a 3 cylinder nowadays.
      It's just not as common in the US because tiny engines are not suited for that market.
      Everywhere else previous base 4 cyl options have now become 3 cyl.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

3 cly engines can (can) have perferct primay and secondary balance.
        Two stroke ones are betterer.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

7s are rare for the same reason that straight 8s are rare

14. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

My 670CID seven cylinder engine works just fine in the vehicle I drive. What are you talking about OP?

15. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

BMW fans be like
    My harmonically balanced straight-six motor provides perfect sonic harmony backdrop to my 10 hour sissy hypno driving mix

16. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

you have to be the biggest dumbass on the planet to think the number of cylinders/strokes alone is what dictates whether or not the engine is going to run smooth, or roughly, or whatever. go read an engineering book and refrain from this reductionist bullshit.

17. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>5cyl
    i can and will enjoy my cool vibrations

18. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I5s and V10s have a prominent major 3rd in their sound and that alone justifies their existence

19. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

If you care so much about vibrations you better drive a rotary anon, surely you aren't driving a "balanced" engine like a V8.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *