Electric Hot Hatch

>Rivian reveals three new, smaller electric SUVs: The R2, R3, and R3X

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2024/03/rivian-reveals-three-new-smaller-electric-suvs-the-r2-r3-and-r3x/

>R2 2-row SUV is $45k
>R3X hot hatch rally car will be “more affordable”

Mike Stoklasa's Worst Fan Shirt $21.68

UFOs Are A Psyop Shirt $21.68

Mike Stoklasa's Worst Fan Shirt $21.68

1. 1 month ago
    Anonymous
    • 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Knowing the wheelbase of all 3 (they showed it at 2800mm for R3 in the press thing), that puts the overall length of this at about 168" and height up to 62" for the R3X. The R3 will be shorter but who knows by how much. Not sure about the width yet and of course that's just estimating but it's a start. For comparison:

https://i.imgur.com/gcrrMPN.jpg

inb4 the R3 looks deceivingly cute and smol but ends up being as huge as an Ioniq 5.

Ioniq 5 is 182.5″ long by 63" tall, so not much shorter but overall fairly smaller unless it's super wide somehow. Even beats the Mini electric at 174.5" x 65.2". It's no Fiat 500 at 143" but even that was 66.3" high. The current Golf is 167" x 58.2" so it's close, but of course a bit bigger. Be interesting to get the real specs. I'm not looking for an EV but a few years down the line I might and this looks like the best option on the horizon.

2. 1 month ago
    Anonymous
    • 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Those stupid headlights ruin what's otherwise a pretty cool-looking car.

Gay. The pic you showed looks good and is evocative of 80s hatchbacks, but it's going to be an expensive, pigfat, numb, unwieldy appliance. There is nothing to get excited about. It simply has no soul. It's like a Necron wearing human skin. Won't fool me.

You're not wrong, but it's more appealing (aside from the front end) than most EVs so far. I'd consider one as a dedicated commuter/errand-runner if I had the money and space to also keep my gas truck.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

stop trying to make those headlights happen. they're NOT going to happen

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

pretty cute utilitarian Lada knockoff, but can we stop with the black plastic bumper cars trim on every vehicle? It looks like shit

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>hot hatch
      It will be 4500lbs and destroyed on the track by the 70's golf GTI.

Hate that front, otherwise they copied their design homework well.

3. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Gay. The pic you showed looks good and is evocative of 80s hatchbacks, but it's going to be an expensive, pigfat, numb, unwieldy appliance. There is nothing to get excited about. It simply has no soul. It's like a Necron wearing human skin. Won't fool me.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

lmao they even tried to copy the color scheme of the golf cross country.
      >expensive, pigfat, numb, unwieldy appliance.
      is probably ture aswell.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>expensive
      it will be less than $45k, which is not nearly as bad as it could be. not saying it's good.
      >numb, unwieldy
      won't fight you there
      >appliance
      some people want an appliance

i'm not interested in buying it but i'm happy it exists

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

>it will be less than $45k
        Every American EV manufacturer straight up lies about pricing. It will be $60k or more by the time a common person is able to get one on the road.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

Yeah, let's be real. They're talking out of both sides of their face.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>$45k
      In Biden’s America™ you should be grateful it’s not $80k.

4. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Looks pretty cool, like a Yugo with meats. Their trucks look like shit (iphone) but I could drive one of those hatches.

5. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Looks like a mix of Lancia Delta and Lada Niva

Based

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Yeah, but I'm sure its going to be Ioniq 5 sized and is pulling the same trick.
      Looks like an old hot hatch on small wheels, but has massive wheels.

Still, if the R2 is $45 and probably $50 to $60 real world when launched, the R3 will probably be under $50 outside of a top-end spec.
      The big problem for all of these attempts to make trucks or crossovers, is bigger and heavier means they need more battery for the same range vs a car.
      Just make electric cars. Stop bloating everything.

6. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>tablet

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

This is genuinely brilliant. This is now my new top choice for car to be homeless in.

7. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>tablet
    still cool that there are options and the price tag is not *as* obscene as the market has been trending

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>muh overlanding

God I hate this fricking era of cars

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

No fricking joke.
        I PUT THE TENT ON TOP OF CAR
        PLZ CLAP

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

rooftop tents are pretty good tho

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Seems like a pretty damn stupid thing to do in a car with a glass ceiling.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

No fricking joke.
      I PUT THE TENT ON TOP OF CAR
      PLZ CLAP

Seems like a pretty damn stupid thing to do in a car with a glass ceiling.

the roof "tent" even comes with a built in projector you can watch anime while you camp

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

More like so you can bother everyone else around you with your shit taste.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

If they don't have air suspension to level things this will suck. It would be much better to just sleep inside the car and use the heat or a/c.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

this is going to end up like the cybertent or canceled entirely

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

Don't know, unlike the cybertarp those roof-mount fold out tents are a completely normal product you can just go out and buy. Its not like anything for that needs to be custom.

8. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

nothing of that is a hot hatch, these are all crossovers

9. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

> huge pigfat EV calling itself a hot hatch
    does it also have pronouns ?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>does it also have pronouns ?
      lancia/delta

10. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Looks like a Lancia. But Rivian is basically Amazon so I wouldn't trust them with a 10 foot pole.

11. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

inb4 the R3 looks deceivingly cute and smol but ends up being as huge as an Ioniq 5.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

R3 has a 116" wheelbase apparently
      Ioniq 5 is 118"
      Some autist can probably make an accurate drawing based on that, but yeah not massively smaller.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Yeah, but I'm sure its going to be Ioniq 5 sized and is pulling the same trick.
        Looks like an old hot hatch on small wheels, but has massive wheels.

Still, if the R2 is $45 and probably $50 to $60 real world when launched, the R3 will probably be under $50 outside of a top-end spec.
        The big problem for all of these attempts to make trucks or crossovers, is bigger and heavier means they need more battery for the same range vs a car.
        Just make electric cars. Stop bloating everything.

It will be fat yes. They're all the same platform.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

I thought this light scheme was supposed to be illegal, no?

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

https://www.nhtsa.gov/interpretations/06-006676as
            >With regard to tailgates, when we judge whether a vehicle meets the location and visibility requirements of Standard No. 108, we determine compliance of the vehicle in what appears to us to be its normal operating or driving position.
            taillight should be fine but I think they'll need rear side markers. inb4 they stick it on the fender behind the wheel like the orange highlight up front

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Correction: R2 has a 115.6" wheelbase, R3 is 5 inches shorter so 110.6".

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

I fully expect VW to make the new "Golf" that size, and the mk 5 Golf already looked enormous next to the mk 4.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

already did

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

I hate how obscenely large "small" cars are getting. Even worse when they then sell those fat pigs as "sporty".

12. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Rivian makes junky vehicles and I hate EVs, but I kind of like the R3X. it also weirdly had Lada Niva 4x4 vibes

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>Lightweight mechanical vehicle vs heavy computer on wheels
      >but it's roughly the same shape so they're the same

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

are you the butt hurt commie thread poster?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>bronto
      >bro
      >megusta.png

captcha: atayy

13. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

slammed

14. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>electric suv
    So if I go camp somewhere cold I just get stuck and die?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Depends, are you an idiot? People have bicycled to the South Pole and not died.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Could happen with any vehicle if you're camping away from established camp grounds in the extreme cold.
      Camp at an official spot, and you'd be fine. They even often have a 14-50 or 14-30 hookup which can charge the car.

If you really want to overland with an electric car, look into Propane Fuel Cell stacks. They're expensive, but they make a standard propane bottle into a source of electricity good for charging for about ~120 miles of range, or a couple days of emergency power while stationary.
      Propane is widely available, and has a lot of utility for camping. They're starting to be pretty common as a power source for camper vans, or yachts where keeping propane around is already common.
      Not as clean as hydrogen fuel cells, but propane is way more common.

15. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>hot hatch
    it looks like a range rover with an extra chromosome

16. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>2026
    who fricking cares

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

whats wrong with that, you're not dying soon are you anon?

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

we all are

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

Give me all your money then

17. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

How heavy is it? 10k lbs?

18. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

I hate how Rivian has the perfect faux-rugged image and clientele to distinguish themselves from other electrics with a bunch of physical controls like Jeeps used to, and just don't. That said, R3 looks pretty nice, if they can just make it smaller they'd have a close to ideal electric hatch. Still too crossover-y right now, but in the Outback tier

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

If they make it smaller either the rear seat or the trunk become unusable which is why all small cars are trending towards this size at a minimum. People just don't buy small cars.

19. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Doesn't the heavy weight of a battery basically eliminate the hot aspect of a hot hatch? Before it catches on fire, anyway.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

For a 2026 or 2027 launch date, when solid state batteries are already in production cars in China, hopefully they will make it to the US in the premium electric brands like Rivian by then.
      That could solve both of your issues, but they'll probably add more capacity rather than reduce weight.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Solid state batteries are a meme and 1st gen solid state automotive powertrain batteries will probably be in hybrids.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

>He doesn't know
          NIO has a 360Wh/kg semi solid state battery in production cars now. They packed 150kWh into a pack only slightly heavier than a previous generation 100kWh pack.

A bunch of companies responded to NIO by announcing production cells in that same ballpark of 40% better than NMC density. Tesla's 4680 was supposed to get there by now as well with a new chemistry, but it isn't clear what the hold up with that is. That is the reason why they didn't deliver on the 200kWh Cybertruck. 4680 is still the 2170 chemistry in the 4680 format.
          Maybe the new chemistry will be the big thing they'll have for the Roadster announcement at the end of the year.

Toyota has in fact been promising hybrids with solid-state cells in 2025 for a while now, but as with their statements that they would be selling more PHEVs than Tesla sells BEVs thanks to the fact they need smaller batteries, it doesn't seem like that is going to happen.

20. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

ayy bro don't copy my homework

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>frick gauges and shit how about some tablets so you can watch tiktok while you drive??
      >that will be 90k- t. Mercedes benz

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Rivians have those annoying electric doors too?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Are you daft or am I missing something? These look nothing alike.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

>be me
        >look at pics and compare
        >two almost empty wienerpits
        >its the same, they copied it
        copied nothing?

this happens a lot on DA i notice where people take two things that have literally zero similar visual styles but do a side by side and say "it's the same!"
        they'll put a mazda cx5 next to a bmw x3 and say "all new cars look identical" like the problem isn't that they're just blind

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>screen isn't centered
      oh no

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>be me
      >look at pics and compare
      >two almost empty wienerpits
      >its the same, they copied it
      copied nothing?

21. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Looks cool

22. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>Rivian expects 3 years to design and make a car
    >convair spent 3 years to design and make a fricking supersonic bomber in which flew in 1956

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

To be fair, there was very little red tape or government beurocracy in the 50s aerospace scene. Companies could do pretty much whatever the frick they wanted as long as they were hitting the price and performance goals in the contract. Rivian probably has to jump through 10,000 gay safety inspections just to design a glove box latch handle.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Not good enough.

Convair had to meet radical USAF demands and pioneer high-speed flight in doing so.
        Complying with emission and crash safety tests aren't the same. How do you compare that to Convair, who designed the first mach 2 bomber with the first supersonic ejection, or the first aircraft with a voice warning system, or the first supersonic wing made from composite.

23. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Whats with the DONK wheels

24. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>niva
    it's clearly Lada 2109
    and it looks fricking awful for that

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

forgor

25. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

they got the shape right but making it a cuckover is unfortunate, the wheels are too big

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/m9w4h0a.jpg

>does it also have pronouns ?
      lancia/delta

It's not designed after a Delta. Didn't you get them in America?

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Heh, it really does look like a Mk2 Country.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

wrong

26. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

There is no way those windows are staying that big. If they manage to actually have a beltline that low in current year I'll fricking buy one.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

You can get that AND roll-over resistance with modern ultrahigh strength steel, but most manufacturers can't be arsed to budget for it in their vehicles' bill of materials.

27. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>Rivian R2/R3 Hands-On Impressions!

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

ew.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Wtf is wrong with his skin

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

I can't help but think that this is going to eat into their R1S sales. Why would you pay double for what is essentially the same car? The only people who would do it are people with large amounts of children, ie immigrants who can't afford a new car.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Newer re-worked EV platforms often have higher margins and are designed to scale more effectively. So Rivian won't care if their gen 2 vehicles take over the 50-70k price points replacing their previous lowest spec if they sell a lot more units.
        Rivian will shift the R1 gen vehicles up in price by, giving them interior upgrades, maybe a cell chemistry upgrade to up their range, or taking other options to increase their price and their margins on them.

Same thing Tesla did with the Model S when the 3 was on its way, or similar to what they're doing with the 3 now that the 4th gen cars are rumored to be on their way.
        I have to imagine Tesla will fire back at the R2 and R3 with their own announcements.

28. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

I'll be interested in EVs when we figure out solid state battery tech, otherwise this is just more slop that will sit at car dealerships since nobody wants them.

29. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>the concept car

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Rivian doesn't build concepts like that, they make what they hope they can build and use it to fundraise for years before eventually delivering the same vehicle minus a few trim options and the spare tire for 30% more than advertised.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Lol, TF is that, that's not an official concept.
      The official concept looks very close to the series car.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

But this is the Renault 5 turbo 3E concept

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

Forgot pic

30. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>the final product

31. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

the r2 is super frickin cool. r1s is my lowkey dream car but the r2 would be a nice stepping stone

32. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

I need those tires to be fatter.

33. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

This looks so fricking sick, I hope I can acquire a house before this comes out so I can get an EV

34. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

are people conned into believing you need a SUV or a CUV to ride dirt roads and gravel? Have they actually seen a WRC rally car?

35. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

sex

looks fantastic but i still hate the interior ~~*touchscreens*~~ with a passion.

36. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

I noped out of buying an Ioniq 5 due to price and range issues and went with a Mk7 GLI late last year. In another 4 or 5 when I look to replace the GLI the R3/R3X should be out by then.
    IF it can do 400 miles range I'll buy it. At 400 miles range I can drive to and from my "local" ski resort without having to stop and charge, and with range to spare in case of detours. Adding an hour or more charing onto a 3ish hour drive each way kind of kills the ability to do day trips which is on average half or more of my yearly mileage.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>with range to spare in case of detours
      Well, that + lost performance in the cold + lost performance from the skis on the roof rack + more power usage from the heater... I'm very leery of the "max range" manufacturers put out vs real world scenarios.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

One of my favourites is how Teslards hyped up how the Cybercuck would beat or exceed contemporary tow rigs for the price... Lo and behold when towing it has a nominal range of 90 miles... Which is about a 3rd of an F450 which you could buy for about a third of the price and get three times the range to boot... Sure it has torque for days at the low end but that's a pretty useless fricking metric when
        >90 miles range

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

I generally don't roof rack my skis due to noise, just knock the snow off and throw them in the back, so no real drag concerns. But yeah the uncertainty of cold as factor is why I want leeway in the range before I make the switch. My local ski hill is 160mi away so double it for a round trip to 320mi so a promised range of 400mi is more than workable assuming the effective range is greater than 370mi.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *