Electric Industrial Trucks

Just found this Canadian logging truck company producing hybrid retrofitting for old trucks and developing their own purpose-built electric logging trucks.
https://www.edisonmotors.ca/
https://m.youtube.com/@EdisonMotors/videos
I think it's cool to see truck start ups like this try their hand at it and not end up like N*kola.

A Conspiracy Theorist Is Talking Shirt $21.68

Homeless People Are Sexy Shirt $21.68

A Conspiracy Theorist Is Talking Shirt $21.68

1. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Saw a vid pop up maybe a week ago - it sounds like the fricking canadian government is trying to frick them over already. It wasn't Deboss Garage, but I can't remember what channel it was on.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>the fricking canadian government
      Sounds about right for the govt criminal Mafia goons.
      Pretty sure US govt would have buried them even faster. And shot their dog too.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

louis rossman and deboss garage both covered it

2. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>Run for 2 hours
    >Charge for 22 hours

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

That's the cost of ideology.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Every one of them is offered as a diesel-electric. Objectively best of both worlds for heavy industrial applications. Or are you going to call train locomotives useless woke ideology too?

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Trains are wired. EVs are wireless you fool.

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>trains are wired
          ?

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Electric trains are wired, diesel trains are wireless.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Trains are wired. EVs are wireless you fool.

Diesel-electric trains are basically missive generators. Edison motors is using the same tech in a truck application. No need for charging or external wiring when your driving the generator

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Diesel electric trains, which are the vast majority of trains used around the world, do not need wires. Pure electric trains are rare since they require wires overhead or electrified rails.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Pure electric trains are pretty common in my thirde country.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

That's the cost of ideology.

great idea terrible exterior design

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

https://m.youtube.com/shorts/kb4w6dm9vu4

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

frick yeah the grey one is looking better

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I agree. But Topsy is still a big beautiful girl (bbg)

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

any more info on that kenworth in the back?

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

That's the one they retrofitted.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

It's designed with practicality in mind, not aesthetics.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/txINtdo.jpeg

I agree. But Topsy is still a big beautiful girl (bbg)

They do look a little goofy/blocky but I assume the design ethos is to keep them reasonably cheap to maintain, and that means stuff like only using flat glass. I can imagine all kinds of trucks get tons of wrecked windows/windshields from all the miles they do, so not having to pay for OEM special curved glass would be a good thing. CAPTCHA PLEASE I AM TYPING IT CORRECTLY

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Aside from what you just said, they also model their trucks after Pacific Trucks, which was another BC-based logging truck company.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

MIGHTY BIG
            MIGHTY TONKA

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

They built it to have as much visibility as possible since it's a logging truck, and with all flat panel glass to its easy to fix. The guy that runs the company is vehemently pro right-to-repair, which is based.
        https://youtube.com/shorts/j0bXHmnFeA4?si=wCrbzUEDe3aK7_IB

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>>Run for 2 hours
      for 22 hours
      that's not how this works at all you fricking mongoloids. they're built on the same principle as diesel electric locomotives.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>run for 2 hours empty
      >coast downhill for 2 hours loaded

3. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>BUT IT CAN'T DO 1500 MILE LONGHAUL!!111

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

But it can, because it's a diesel-electric hybrid.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>diesel-electric hybrid
        diesel-electrics are not hybrids you dumbass

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

They've started making them about 15-20 years ago, actually. They finally developed a battery efficiency enough to be useful with a diesel locomotive.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

There are literally no hybrid locomotives in serious use in North America. They're all old as frick and clapped out diesel-electrics that burn gallons upon gallons of engine oil and belch out diesel smoke. Adding any useful mount of batteries to one is just pointless considering how much fuel they carry.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

My apologies. They developed the molten salt batteries back in like 2006-2007, and I thought they sold at least some of them. Turns out they never actually put it for sale.

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

But they are, anon. These trucks have electric traction motors with a small battery and a diesel engine to charge the battery.

I'm sorry you're wrong, but this weird temper tantrum won't change that.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

That's not a diesel-electric, please stop posting commercial spam and advertising threads

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>"a truck with a diesel engine which is used to power electric motors isn't diesel-electric!"

What? Is this a troll post? Can you explain why you're blatantly ignoring facts to cry about your feelings?

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I beg you to please learn the difference between a diesel-electric vehicle and a hybrid

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

NTA, but why don't you just tell us then

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Anon, i will ask you two very simple questions.
            What is a diesel-powered generator powered by?

What sort of energy do electric motors run on?

Think about it and get back to me with your answers.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>this diesel generator for my house is a hybrid!

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Anon, I think you may have had some trouble reading the question. Why don't you try again?

What do diesel generators run on?
            What do electric motors run on?

Think about it for a little while and give me your answer

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I'm sure you'll figure it out soon, anon

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I know you're baiting the shit out of the newbie, but it's technically a series hybrid. Didn't know the difference either until this thread.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Everyone except the 1 newbie knows it's a series hybrid. Can also be called a PHEV

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>newbie
            You're the one who's feeding him a steady supply of (You)s m80

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I beg you to please learn the difference between a diesel-electric vehicle and a hybrid

>UH UH UH THE BATTERY IS WHAT MAKES THE DIFFERENCE
            >THERE'S TOTALLY A MASSIVE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A DIESEL RUNNING A GENERATOR THAT POWERS TRACTION MOTORS AND A DIESEL RUNNING A GENERATOR THAT CHARGES BATTERIES THAT POWER TRACTION MOTORS
            >THIS IS TOTALLY A DISTINCTION WORTH MAKING AND BEING INCREDIBLY SMUG ABOUT TO LAYMEN WHO UNDERSTAND THE TRUCK ISN'T BEING DIRECTLY DRIVEN BY THE ENGINE
            >ONE IS BASED AND REDPILLED, THE OTHER IS KUCKED IDEOLOGY THAT ONLY TRANNIE LIBERALS WOULD EVER DO

I implore you to actually go outside, get a life outside of DA, and stop trying to politically polarize a truck having a battery in its powertrain.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

You will never be a woman etc etc

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I'm the OP, not him.

4. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

My company's moving towards electrifying their fleet. Just the small-distance trucks for now though, Y'know, given the dogshit range.

5. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>Edison
    Cringe although it makes more sense than Tesla since batteries are DC. Not as cringe as Nikola though.

6. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I kind of want to see them succeed but this isn't really going to work in the real world. Generating electricity on a small scale is never efficient. That's typically why only really big things use a diesel electric drivetrain because it's easier than using a mechanical drivetrain. Not because it's more efficient. Adding a bunch of batteries to make a hybrid likely won't help much either without eating into the payload and towing capacity.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

They already tested it pulling over 100,000lbs, since it's an off road logging truck they can run heavy because where they're going they don't need roads

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

They pulled 100k lbs for 30 seconds in a flat parking lot. A 120hp shitbox with a bunch of weight on the hood will do the same. Taking a load of logs from the cut block to the storage pile or processing plant is a lot different. There are also still weight limits on the logging roads. The 10k lbs of batteries they would have to carry would make them a lot less money than an extra 10k lbs of logs.

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Somehow I think the 600hp+ motors won't have any troubles with the weight. And their truck actually weight every so slightly less than an equivalent commercial logging truck. Turns out that transmissions and driveshafts are pretty heavy too, not to mention that the diesel genie they're using is much smaller than the engine a logging truck would use

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>Somehow I think the 600hp+ motors won't have any troubles with the weight
            Motors don't make power, they convert it. You would need a 800+hp engine to power them once you factor in the efficiency losses.

>not to mention that the diesel genie they're using is much smaller than the engine a logging truck would use
            They need to double check their math. If you need 600hp to move a load you need a 600hp engine to move it. Not a 400hp engine powering some "600hp" motors. Locomotives don't have a little semi truck engine driving the generator/alternator that feeds the motors.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Holy moron do you think engines are running full tilt all hours of the day?

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

The logging operations run 24/7 here. The engines in the machinery and trucks are running at full power almost 24/7. Why the frick do you think industrial equipment is so fricking overbuilt? lrn what a duty cycle is.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Damn, so you guys are blazing around at redline all day every day with no stops anywhere ever?

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Yes? Time is money. You only have a limited amount of time to get the block cleared. Aside from maybe a 15 minute lunch break that machinery is always working at full power.

TIL: logging trucks never stop ever, they fly up and down mountains at full speed and never slow down to load and unload
            Thanks DA, you're so knowledgeable about vehicles

I wish you would park your vehicle on an active logging road.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Crazy that you manage to fit in sucking all those wieners

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Are you in your 15 minute lunch break right now? Time is money, anon

Who pissed in your guys' cereal?
            Not same anon btw

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>Says stupid shit
            >Get btfo
            L....lol y-you gggguys are MAD!

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Are you in your 15 minute lunch break right now? Time is money, anon

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

TIL: logging trucks never stop ever, they fly up and down mountains at full speed and never slow down to load and unload
            Thanks DA, you're so knowledgeable about vehicles

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Diesel-electric locomotives are more efficient than a straight diesel engine loco would be though, because they need to pull tens of thousands of tons from dead stop so they require maximum torque. I agree it doesn't make as much sense for a logging truck though, they deal with some steep grades I guess, but is it worth the added complexity?

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

There's nothing overly complex about a generator and a couple e-axles

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>Diesel-electric locomotives are more efficient than a straight diesel engine loco would be though
        Maybe but a lot of smaller yard shunts use a mechanical diesel drivetrain. These things need lots of torque too but most of them are still mechanical drives. Also the motors aren't really making the torque. The massive V16 or V20 is. The generator and the motors are just an adjustable torque converter.

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Aren't these haul trucks using hydraulic motors powered by the diesel?

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Nah a hydrostatic setup that size would be super inefficient and wouldn't be able to handle the high speeds these run at. They use a torque converter planetary automatic, basically troony setup as a pickup truck but obviously massive.

• 2 weeks ago
            Gears

I guess for logging that might be a useful concept, seeing how there's probably a lot of low speed pulling happening where you don't want to have a shift inbetween and can't ride the clutch either.
            Plus regenerative braking is nice when you're moving heavy loads dynamically.
            Increased losses under steady driving probably don't matter much for that application.

>hey use a torque converter planetary automatic
            Only the cats though
            Liebherr or Kommatsu for example are diesel-electric.
            I've even read about tricks like dual-engine setups where one is switched off when not needed on trucks like these. But most just run one huge diesel as a generator.

7. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

trying to get a cdl right now
    the pre trip is so difficult, you have to memorize 4 pages word for word
    frick massachusetts

8. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Just got my new hybrid, br/o/s

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Sick, do some burnouts for us

• 2 weeks ago