Electric supercharger spooling a conventional turbo

Ok, DA, o have a turbo 6 cylinder engine I am building and I am going to have an electric supercharger help spool the turbo, should I have the supercharger before the turbo like this?(1/2)

Mike Stoklasa's Worst Fan Shirt $21.68

Yakub: World's Greatest Dad Shirt $21.68

Mike Stoklasa's Worst Fan Shirt $21.68

1. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Or after, like this? (Ignore the i6 vs v6)

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Well you're a fricking idiot that doesn't even understand "spooling" so you should probably just stick with your bus pass.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Not much to understand, big turbo takes a few seconds to get into boost, most of that time is spent getting that first few psi, after that a positive feedback loop takes over. An electric superchargers boost isn't dependent on crank speed or exhaust gas so it can spin up instantly and start moving air through the big turbo, only needs to make 2-3psi and 200cfm to get the big turbo started at lower rpms. I have had this engine in a car before, I know how it behaves.

2. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

or get this get this get this get this
    what if you just choose an appropriately sized turbo for your engine and then it spools itself?

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

This would greatly increase the size of what would be an "appropriately sized turbo" for a street applicaton.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

and let me guess; you feel like you've already maxed out a reasonably sized turbo so you NEED that bigger turbo to support all that power you're making?

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>you feel like
          No, I don't "feel like", I'm not a woman. I know. I have run this v6 with different turbos. Smaller ones don't give it enough, and the bigger one on there lagged hard and killed the midrange. It's over 4L and forged internals, it likes to eat. Big single turbo plus helper is the way to go
          >but why not smaller turbo or nos to spool it
          Nos needs refills, smaller turbo needs more plumbing, also I'm a special snowflake.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

ok so how much power is it putting out?

• 4 weeks ago
            Panda5

The point is to have a large turbo that normally takes a while to spool but gives lots of power. The eS/C would spool up the turbo at lower-rpms giving you more power on the low-end and less of a giant ramp-up when the boost kicks, to make it more driveable while still having a huge turbo.
            It wouldn't increase power at the top end (where the peak power numbers are) because the turbo's wastegate will just expel any pressure over the max set boost once the turbo is going.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

The point is you can buy a turbo which is undersized for your engine, which will spool up while your engine is still lugging, which can support a power figure which far exceeds your desired output.
            But you want to frick around with this shit instead....

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Currently, nothing it's on an engine stand. In the past 500ish, soon 550wheel-ish

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

You can get a G30, which is recommended up to 3.5L (undersized), which will support 900hp

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>up to 3.5L
            >4.2L application

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

That's my point you no brained zero brain brainless moron without a brain.
            You can't even max out an undersized turbo, let alone a G35 which can support over a thousand.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Potential horsepower isn't the only attribute of sizing a turbo, you dunning-kruger. Look at the other specs on it and you will see why the manufacturer only recommends use in 3.5L or less

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

What you think I don't know about E-map?
            You're not maxing out appropriately sized turbos like you claim.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Do the math, the exhaust side of the turbo is going to be too small to be efficient in moving all the exhaust gas of a 4.2L engine. That's all the spoon feeding you are getting.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

If only there was some way to measure this phenomenon

3. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

just look up how mercedes does it, but i'm gonna guess it's neither of your drawings

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Mercedes appears to use a conventional turbo with an electric motor in it, nothing remotely like that in the aftermarket yet.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>be me
        >have idea
        >they already did it
        Frick me sideways.
        Just bolt one of those really spicy BLDC drone motors to the turbo rotor and command it to spin the turbo up under throttle

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

VW 1.4 TFSI and Volvo current 2.0 do it too.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Too much fabrication, there are already aftermarket electric superchargers like torqamp available for not a shitton of money, the question is do I mount it before or after the turbo, I have seen both done

• 4 weeks ago
            Panda5

What are your hypothetical plans for supplying this supercharger with electricity? Stock alternator and 12V system? Giant alternator with a battery storing energy for the SC?

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Well, I was just going to use the 12V optima battery with all of its cca(lol jk, a 12v system absolutely cant run these). People typically run these off of a 48V lithium suitcase that gradually charges off the alternator and drains down in about 45 seconds under full boost.

• 4 weeks ago
            Panda5

>48V
            That’s what a quick google search was telling me. It seems like a lot of hassle, and you’d have to tune the fuel and timing maps at low RPM, but it’s an interesting idea for sure. I had no idea electric superchargers were developed enough to actually work and it’d be cool to see done. I guess you’d put it before the turbo, but idk.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>you’d put it before the turbo, but idk.
            Ya, that's how I am leaning now, would be easier to plumb and the supercharger wouldn't be exposed to hot boosted tur o air that way, here is a pic of someone who did it like that

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>really spicy BLDC drone motors
          You just sent me down a bit of a rabbit-hole on AliExpress. Holy crap! You can get 3 HP motors that are like 2.5" diameter by 2" length and weight 1 lb. Of course you need to batteries and speed controller to drive them, but being able to put a tiny 3 HP motor wherever you can route power cables to seems awesome.

https://i.imgur.com/zyGJ394.jpeg

Ok, DA, o have a turbo 6 cylinder engine I am building and I am going to have an electric supercharger help spool the turbo, should I have the supercharger before the turbo like this?(1/2)

Put it before the turbo. The benefit of something like a TorqAmp is the ease of plumbing and fitment. You significantly complicate that by trying to squeeze it between the turbo and intercooler.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

You are right, if there is no real performance benefit to having it pull from the turbo vs push, before is a lot easier to implement

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I don't even have to look at that motor to know the duty cycle is probably maximum 20 seconds before it melts itself. Not a snowballs chance in hell that a chink motor that small putting out that kind of power has any sort of decent heat management.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

It doesn't need to run continuously, it's just to spool the turbo, remember. Derate to 1.5hp aka 1200W aka still a fricking lot and you can run it all day.

4. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

seems like an obvious choice, especially for a mild hybrid

5. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Audi puts their electric supercharger after the turbo, so it's just filling in during the turbo's spool-up time. Once the turbo is up to speed, the electric supercharger gets bypassed.

6. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

i-DEI.
    Cut out the middleman.

• 4 weeks ago
      Panda5

I thought of Hakuna Miata when I saw OP's pics too, man. He had some wild concepts.

7. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

just lube up the normal turbo REALLY well and it will spool up with the slightest breeze trust me

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *