>EV battery dies or cant hold a charge anymore. >Just pay half the car's value to keep running

>EV battery dies or cant hold a charge anymore
>Just pay half the car's value to keep running
And people still say it's worth keeping an EV?

Anus Alien Shirt $21.68

POSIWID: The Purpose Of A System Is What It Does Shirt $21.68

Anus Alien Shirt $21.68

1. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>Tesla brand Tesla
    >more expensive than generic shit
    Now I hate EVs just like any other sane human being, but I will admit I'm shocked my dude. Shocked I tell you!

2. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I work for a company that engineers and builds rechargeable battery packs for many different companies and products. Not a single person at the company owns or would even consider buying an EV. 5-7 years is the average life span of these cells, and after 2-3 years their capacity is greatly diminished. And that's for cells that are used mostly indoors, and not subjected to extreme differences in temperature. Not to mention they have a tendency to spontaneously combust when physically damaged. EV's are a horrible idea and basically a complete scam.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Those small batteries for indoor use often have minimal battery management systems, no cooling at all, and are typically discharged and charged way too far for optimal longevity. High temps will absolutely wear out many types of battery cells, as will excessive depth of discharge (or keeping them at 100% all the time). I used to take apart laptop batteries, and the cells closer to the hot parts of the motherboard were always in the worst condition. Often, the ones further away could still work fine, but the battery as a whole was useless if half the cells couldn't keep charge properly.
      A large EV battery with good chemistry & cooling, kept in a cool outdoor environment when not in use, properly managed, might last quite a bit longer than half assed tool batteries.
      I agree that they're definitely not an option for many people, though. In a cool enough environment, many of the EVs currently on the market can barely charge at all, and their range is seriously reduced. And if you want to maximize longevity, you can typically only use like 60% of the battery's stated capacity, at which point the range is unusably short.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>High temps will absolutely wear out many types of battery cells, as will excessive depth of discharge (or keeping them at 100% all the time).
        Ok so the EV that has range and charging rate as the two biggest limitations, you're recommending that they further reduce range (keep less than 100% charge, do not discharge to 0%) and charging rate (heat). Insane.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

That's basically what they're doing to some degree in the battery management system already.
          The car may keep running for quite a while with the battery meter showing "empty", but most EVs will make it clear that this is an emergency measure and reduce power. The chargers also often charge the battery very slowly after 80% or so, and may have an option to just stop charging after that since slowly forcing that last bit of charge into them just keeps them heated for much longer. Hell, my laptop has that option for the same reason. At least EV batteries tend to come with cooling systems so they don't cook their battery as badly as some shitty appliances.
          But yes, if they cared more about battery lifespan, they could just spec their voltage / charge range more conservatively, but I guess it would be difficult to market a 1/3 loss in capacity as a feature. Especially when capacity is already one of the main issues with these things.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Remember when cell phones could last days, and then now cell phones last only a day? And nobody cares anymore cause they're better? I suspect the same thing will happen with EVs. People will be fine with 300 mile range EVs because they're so much better than 500 mile range gas cars.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>I make camerson-sino Nintendo DS batteries so you should take my opinion on cars seriously
      ?????

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

This aligns with my experiences too. Never seen a lithium ion battery last longer than 5 years without a huge loss in capacity. Probably a big reason why EVs depreciate so heavily.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

are nickel iron batteries the superior choice ?

3. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

the bots at it again i see

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

The April numbers came in and they don’t look good for ICEkeks.
      They might have adjusted their bot farms to be more aggressive in response.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

yeah, that's what's happening. it's not because you're on an automotive enthusiast board pitching soulless appliances as a direct replacement to the one thing they love, it's big oil and their bots... yeah.

4. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

A Tesla LFP battery can last up to a million miles. I've only been driving for 17 years, but I haven't even got 300,000. And I've driven across the entire USA, coast to coast. I bet a regular car would need more money in engine rebuilds before you need to replace an LFP battery.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

People regularly do that on accord and camerys without even needing an enging replacement. Hell i got old ford rangers above 300k miles for work that never needed an engine replacement.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

not everyone wants to drive an old ford ranger or camry

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I've been driving for 10 years and have around 500k under my belt, all in shitboxes. I've never been stranded, there have been some vehicles I could have kept driving and some I lost my ass on. I have yet to reach Tesla MSRP on my expenditures.

5. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Be like that Finnish dude

6. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

We will need right to repair battery experts. We will need legistation to block EV makers sell completly new batteries and make them give repair manuals

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>Hey is this anon with the Tesla? Yeah um we were repairing your vehicle but unfortunately our tech got killed in the process of reconditioning the battery. Yeah sorry, you're gonna have to tow it off our lot within 24 hours and our insurance carrier is gonna sue you.

7. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Why aren't these things cheap yet? I just want a $500 EV roller to rebuild with vape batteries. Stop selling dead vehicles for the price of a 10 year old Honda you homosexuals!

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Supply and demand.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

God, I shudder to imagine how frequent and catastrophic homemade EV fires are going to be. Some asshat driving a clapped out model 3 filled with 4500 juul batteries that's basically a rolling bomb. Surely even in states with no inspection, they will outlaw stuff like this?

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

There's millions of BEVs on the road now, and nothing is happening. It's just like when they said all the vaccinated people were going to die off.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

they didnt outlaw ICE vehicles that catch fire at a vastly higher rate than EVs, why would they outlaw EVs?

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

batteries still costing alot

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>Why aren't these things cheap yet?
      You can get rollers or nearly dead battery cars for like $10-15k now. They'll never be $500 because the interior is still good, body is likely okay, and everything otherwise works. You could sell the headlights and tail lights to make more than $500, I think copart is paying like $5k for "junk" teslas and selling them for like $8000 wrecked.

Why do people think cars are anywhere near $500 anymore? Because that 30 year old dodge neon miraculously still running sold for $500 to a methhead?

8. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Oh no…anyway.

9. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

You can set the car to charge up to 80% only, you know that right? Ev cars are like phones now, a ton of scheduling and power saving you can to to help extend the life.

Still shit though.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *