>fancy myself an amateur mechanic. >never actually done anything other than change some oil and brake pads

>fancy myself an amateur mechanic
>never actually done anything other than change some oil and brake pads
>buy a project car
>first job: fix the heater
>watch chrisfix video
>okay this looks simple enough
>go lift the bonnet to look for the radiator
>...
>I can't see anything that looks like what was in the video
>can't see any pair of hoses going to the firewall either
>realise I'm a moron and will never be able to learn the simplest job on my own
>31 years old without a dad or friends interested in cars to teach me
>spend some time just observing the engine bay
>realise there's a million things going on here and I have no idea what any of it does
Welp that was a mistake think I'm going back to wasting all my time playing runescape

Tip Your Landlord Shirt $21.68

Yakub: World's Greatest Dad Shirt $21.68

Tip Your Landlord Shirt $21.68

1. 4 weeks ago
    Hotwing

If you want a real hobby take the motorcycle class one weekend

>Verification not required.

2. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

don't call it quits yet anon, just take a break, revisit it later with a fresh pair of eyes, that's what the process is all about. i'm sure the way to fix it is out there, just gotta figure out the next step, do that, and then figure out the next step after that

3. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

always try to do your research specific to your car.
    when picking a project car I feel it makes sense to check how well documented it is and if there's a community.
    also don't underestimate stuff like Haynes manuals they are actually great.

all things considered, you're taking one step at a time.
    just give it a year and you'll understand details of your car that you don't even know exist right now.

it's a literal rabbit hole.

4. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Are you trying to replace the heater core? That can be a legitimately big job, anon.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Well what state are you in? Some DAtist might me near enough to give you some basic mentorship. Maybe find an autocross and go watch and make friends with some of the wrench-turning bastards out there.

Step one is make sure the thermostat isn't stuck open. In my ol truck, I had two do that and it ran so cool most of the time in winter you'd never get any warmth out of it.

5. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>realise there's a million things going on here and I have no idea what any of it does
    So learn.

6. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

It's not easy anon, but there's nothing good in life that's not worth fighting hard for! I spent 6 months trying to get a 200k mile Porsche back to life and I did it.
    >YouTube videos
    >Forum posts/tutorials
    >shop manual pdfs
    >parts catalog
    These should be your resource, ordered by which to consult first. I'm sure there are plenty of resources online. The hardest thing to lesrn are the actual skills. What do I do when there's a:
    >a stripped bolt
    >a stripped hex bolt
    >a broken bolt
    >a cross threaded bolt
    >a missing bolt
    Trust me there's a YouTube video for all these problems but they're skills you will learn and have to master. Don't be discouraged either, we all hit roadblocks. Take a day off, go smoke; come back with a JBL cranking out Iron Maiden, a six pack and more cigarettes than you'd thought you could smoke.

• 4 weeks ago
      Kevin Van Dam

It’s not that hard. Most mechanics are fairly moronic. If you have above-average intelligence, it’s a big lego set. Take pics while taking stuff apart on big jobs and keep fasteners and assemblies organized as you remove them.

>a stripped bolt
      >a stripped hex bolt
      >a broken bolt
      >a cross threaded bolt
      >a missing bolt
      The most annoying part. Add seized bolts to that. Once you learn to tackle that stuff, it’s just another step in the job.

7. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

do what I do, take it step by step, follow the guide to the letter, every single movement. Eventually you'll have the basics down that you don't have to follow super duper closely and you won't freeze up in terror.

8. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

what car

9. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

It's overwhelming at first, just learn one thing at a time and soon you'll know exactly what every part and hose under the hood is for

10. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>realise I'm a moron and will never be able to learn the simplest job on my own
    It's because you quit at the first hurdle.
    Just stick with it, it's not like someone is holding a sword above your head and if you frick up it's gonna drop.
    Learning by doing.

11. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>getting something to work on for the sake of having something to work on
    probably the equivalent of watching paint dry, except you're also doing the buying and painting

12. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Just follow a guide for your specific model. General wrenching videos like Chris Fix are for uber wrenchlets that don't actually have any intention of working on their own stuff, but want to learn the basics.
    There are nearly always videos made by some autist about your exact car for just about any job you'd need to do. It's quite literally as simple as following along step by step. You'll eventually run into hiccups like stripped and cross threaded shit, but learning how to deal with that is part of being a mechanic. Wrenching sucks ass 90% of the time, but it's a rewarding and worthwhile skill, and you can't call yourself a car enthusiast without knowing how to do it imo.

13. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

You just haven't been enough around cars and mechanics that will help you learn.
    It's like giving someone a computer and hoping they'll figure out how do start writing code on their own.
    If you can't fix that particular issue, give the job to someone else and next time you'll fix some other thing.

14. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

popping the hood, especially when nothing is broken, is when you take it all in. Any time you get a new car you have to routinely, like every time you finish driving, pop the hood and look at the engine. This will help you from a 3 dimensional image of the engine In your mind. If you bought a car with a plastic engine that's all covered up you fricked up tho I couldn't stand looking at that shit id just sell it. Good luck, don't get overwhelmed.

15. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Maybe the problem is that there is no hoses going there. Maybe the before frick was so lazy his rapair of leaking heater was just remove the hoses and make the coolant just cool engine and thats it.

16. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

You need to accept that it is okay to fail. It's alright to frick up. It is NOT okay to quit. Fix the frickups and move on.

17. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

you can't just give up at the first sign of struggle.

18. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I'm 32 like yoy and nobody in my friend or family knows anything about cars. I actually barely still know anything but I changed the trans and did a cambelt on my car. Among other stuff.

Basically learned everything off youtube and random old forum posts. Don't just give up. If you don't know what something is on a car, look it up and learn all about how it works.

Chris fix and those popular videos like Scott Kilmer aren't actually that helpful when it comes to vehicle specific issues. Just gives a general idea of the process

Also FRICK replacing a heater core I'd just learn to deal with the cold. You gotta like take the entire fricking dash out, remove all hoses get all the air frick that

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Propane Buddy Heater, outside vent on, and crack the windows a little.

19. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Difficulty depends on the car but at the end of the day, everything can be done by following proper instructions. Do some more research anon

20. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>don't fancy myself an amateur mechanic
    >never did anything other than oil change
    >everything I know is from binging mechanic-tuber videos
    >too poor to buy a project car to ruin and indebt myself
    life is good

21. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

ffs at least buy your car's manual first before giving up

22. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

moronation, the thread.

23. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>op complains
    >anons give solid advice and ask diagnostic questions
    >op is never heard from again
    I hate you homosexuals so much it's unreal
    Take your (you) and please never return

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

not him but Im in the same situation but I havent bought a project car yet. This thread gave me a lot to think about and I thank all anons who gave their insight

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>not him but Im in the same situation but I havent bought a project car yet.
        I recommend starting by doing maintenance on the car you already have until you know it inside out. Learn some hard jobs that way.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

not him but Im in the same situation but I havent bought a project car yet. This thread gave me a lot to think about and I thank all anons who gave their insight

I don't recommend this. I think it's best to get a project car to frick up on and mess around with. This in turn will give you the knowledge and confidence to work on your daily and not frick it up.
          For your first project car, do as much research as you can. You want a car with a good aftermarket and perferably had a lot of units made. FBM is the best place to find cheap shit boxes, just make sure the paperwork is good.
          Godspeed anon

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>I recommend starting by doing maintenance on the car you already have until you know it inside out. Learn some hard jobs that way.
          Id rather learn on a platform that doesnt matter to me a lot if I frick up or not since frickups are definitely bound to happen. Id rather not risk breaking my daily which is in an amazing condition as well.

[...]
          I don't recommend this. I think it's best to get a project car to frick up on and mess around with. This in turn will give you the knowledge and confidence to work on your daily and not frick it up.
          For your first project car, do as much research as you can. You want a car with a good aftermarket and perferably had a lot of units made. FBM is the best place to find cheap shit boxes, just make sure the paperwork is good.
          Godspeed anon

I agree and thats what I was planning as well. I dont mind buying a 2nd car and if it shits itself due to my incompetency. As long as it doesnt happen while Im driving.

>You want a car with a good aftermarket and perferably had a lot of units made
          appreciate it anon, I noticed Volvos are quite good in this aspect and my first car ever was one so Im probably aiming for one. Either that or maybe even a challenging one like an old renault/peugeot because I like them as well

24. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

You have to break it down to understand it. A car is a few different systems working together to make one vehicle. There is an electrical system, cooling system, drivetrain system, etc. I don't actually know because I'm a noob too, but it helps me to understand when I pop the hood that there's like 7 different systems going on in there. When there's a problem I identify which system is having it and then study how that system works until I find the solution then fix it.

25. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Post a picture of engine bay

26. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Wc lvl?

27. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

you can't give up at the first obstacle. I get frustrated too but I go back to it and get it done because I'm too proud to hire a mechanic lol. I'm not much beyond you though, most complicated thing I have done was either replace the alternator or the starter depending how you look at it. I feel I have a good intuition for this sort of thing. gonna do my spark plugs next. It's about confidence, you will gain it and realize that you should be less afraid of fricking up as long as you know the risks

28. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

here just follow this simple guide.
    🙂

29. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

OP here I disappeared because I was so ashamed
    I bought a Saab 900 Turbo

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

you might be moronic
      no offense