Finally bought, did we make a mistake?

Wife needed a car since 2021, her mom was letting her borrow a car since then that didn't get a ton of usage. We were about to pull the trigger on a 2021 Rav4 XLE AWD and wanted to buy one with low kms (sub 40k), but ended up finding out that these lexuses were selling for just a little bit more. So we found a 2021 NX 300 for about 800 more than the typical price of the equivalent rav4s. Seems the used rav4 prices are artificially high right now because there's still a waitlist and 6+ month wait to buy a new rav4. So there was a bit of a pricing anomaly here.

I don't know much about the Lexus 2.0t motor, but I hope Toyota built them right. Did I make a mistake or should this serve us well?

Picking it up Wednesday.

Black Rifle Cuck Company, Conservative Humor Shirt $21.68

DMT Has Friends For Me Shirt $21.68

Black Rifle Cuck Company, Conservative Humor Shirt $21.68

1. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

It’s always a good idea to buy a new car you know nothing about without any idea what you’re getting into and no way out, especially as a responsible family man. Nice work.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Btw you paid way too much for the last year of a first gen model. You’re basically driving a 2017 car, which is fine, but not for 8k more than a new rav, especially for a car that is notoriously unmemorable and unremarkable. If all you want is the storage space of a crossover you could have gotten an equally serviceable one for 2/3 the price but instead you are paying fun car prices for a joyless grocery getter. The whole point of these cars is that the driving experience comes last.

Well, have a nice 5 years regretting it

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

He said $800 more, not 8k more?

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

See

Let me clarify
        In my 200km radius
        2021 Rav 4 XLE AWD models with less than 40k km typically sell for 31.5k to 33k.
        We bought this Lexus for 33,000 CAD.
        It's a 2021 with 30,000kms.
        So pretty much the exact same cost as the Rav 4. After doing the whole insurance quote dance last night, seems like the best we can find for this is $2500/yr for full coverage which is about $500 more per year than insuring the equivalent rav4. So it's a bit more expensive in that respect.

For how much we paid.

I realize the car market is still bad right now, but I think this is better value than the Rav at current prices. Also, I realize this is the same as the 2017.. that was my preference. I like the redesign from the exterior, but I really dislike the updated tech of the new ones. I like "low tech" vehicles, and this is probably as "low tech" as we can find for a vehicle of this year.

It’s always a good idea to buy a new car you know nothing about without any idea what you’re getting into and no way out, especially as a responsible family man. Nice work.

I did some research but not nearly as much as we did on the rav4s.

Yes. While they’re comfy inside and mechanically reliable, last-gen NXes with gas powertrains are thirsty pigs that burn premium. You should’ve either bought a 2022+ NX or a Toyota Venza instead.

>t. parents own a 2015

Hmm interesting
        Yes I noticed the gas consumption is a little high. But my wife can write her gas expenses off against her taxes so it will ease that expense a little.
        2022 nx's were far more money than we wanted to spend and I dislike all of the tech in the new ones.

All this info is meaningless without price.
        How much did you get it for?

Sorry, see

Let me clarify
        In my 200km radius
        2021 Rav 4 XLE AWD models with less than 40k km typically sell for 31.5k to 33k.
        So pretty much the exact same cost as the Rav 4. After doing the whole insurance quote dance last night, seems like the best we can find for this is $2500/yr for full coverage which is about $500 more per year than insuring the equivalent rav4. So it's a bit more expensive in that respect.

Which is 24,000 USD.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>24,000 USD
          That's a pretty good price. Does yours have the auto or CBT transmission? Toyota's 2.0 turbo is somewhat newer but I haven't heard many complaints, with a standard auto transmission I imagine it should be fairly reliable and comfortable. The non-sport NX-300's look kind of ugly imo and '21 was the last of that generation, which may have also contributed to the lower price.
          Simple supply and demand. Everyone wants a rav4 so prices are inflated

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

It's the base trim non hybrid (only 2 motor configurations that year).
            So 2.0t with a 6spd auto.
            In 2022 and fwd, they brought the 2.5l from the Rav 4 into the NX vehicles, then a 2.4t as an upgrade, and a hybrid option too.
            I think the only reason they did this was because 2021 was the last year the NXs were made in Japan. They moved production for the NXs local to me in Canada now, which is where the Rav 4a are built (maybe that's why they chose to order the rav4 motor in the NX now since 2022 NX is the first year produced in Canada.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>and fwd
            And onward*

2. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Yes. While they’re comfy inside and mechanically reliable, last-gen NXes with gas powertrains are thirsty pigs that burn premium. You should’ve either bought a 2022+ NX or a Toyota Venza instead.

>t. parents own a 2015

3. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

All this info is meaningless without price.
    How much did you get it for?

4. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Let me clarify
    In my 200km radius

5. 3 weeks ago
    TooZ

>Wife...
    Stopped reading there.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Gross

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

i want to fix up an old 4th gen civic or some other interesting 80's Honda for me and my cute twink bf of the future to ride around in :3
      wives are cringe and only want crossovers

• 3 weeks ago
        TooZ

Too Gay for TooZ.
        good luck with Honda and the Homo.

6. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

You would be better served with a hybrid. But otherwise it's a nice car.

7. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

If you think it will have the same running costs as a RAV4 you're going to be in for a rude awakening. You're about to find out why Lexus dealerships can afford to pamper you with shit like pedicures and cafes.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

W-what do you mean anon?
      I literally commented how nice the dealership was
      Did I frick myself? How bad could it be?
      Oil changed and brakes hopefully?

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

You are fine. The VIN of every NX begins with J so it will be running forever regardless. Also if the stealership vibe of the Lexus dealer scares you, just drive over to the Toyota dealer instead. You'll get a better labor rate to boot.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Service costs in general will be noticeably higher than a Toyota, repairs will be more expensive but as infrequent as a Toyota.

Really, if you’re not batting an eye at the garbage fuel economy, you’ll be fine. Total service and maintenance costs over the lifespan of an entry-level Lexus don’t add up that much in the grand scheme of things. It’s not like you bought an LS where you’re out multiple thousands of dollars once the air suspension shits itself.

Just drive it and retire it into a winter beater if the running costs aren’t adding up in 5-ish years.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *