First Generation Chevrolet Silverados

Looking at pulling the trigger on a first gen Silverado 1500 5.3l V8 at 37k miles for about 10k. I've read great things about the longevity of these pickups, and I'm glad to be swapping my '05 F150 for it. It's given me nothing but headaches.

/o/, what things do you like or hate about your first gen Silverado?

Tip Your Landlord Shirt $21.68

UFOs Are A Psyop Shirt $21.68

Tip Your Landlord Shirt $21.68

1. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>first gen silverado
    >posts a cateye
    My Silverado was from the 80s and it has been a top trim level since the 70s

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

not talking about trim levels, just the GMT800s here

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

"Silverado" was dropped as a trim package and became a specific nameplate.
      An equivelant would be dropping the Mustang name and calling all those cars "Cobras".

2. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

also my experience with NBS GM is that don't say anything nice about it, because that's when the fricker decides to stop working.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>new body style
      >came out 25 years ago
      moronic designation, and only gets worse when people start saying NNBS/new new body style for the gmt900s. just say gmt800, frick

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

obs/nbs are npc filters.
        Imagine having so little automotive experience that "new" and "old" are used as descriptives for vehicles you saw on the road as a kid or vehicles you see now.
        Typical zoomer snowflake mentality- everything revolves around them and what they see in their little bubble.

3. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

04, 4.8 with 180k miles, approaching five years under my ownership. She's been good to me for the most part, has never failed to start, never left me stranded, and gave me fair warning each time something was about to go up. People complain about electrical issues and failing gauges, but I have yet to have a single issue in that field.
    If the truck is unmolested and light on the rust, I'd go for it. I can try to answer any specific questions

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Absolute patrician taste friend. 150k miles here. Paints cooked and only the tach and oil pressure gauge work, but there's no rust and no 4l60e so I'm banking on another few decades of good use out of it

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Awesome. I've have paintwork done here and there, but mine's roof and hood were getting bad when I bought it, same direction as yours went. Mine's got some rust underneath that I've mostly cleaned up, but the fuel lines and gas tank area frighten me, very crusty, will likely need a fuel system refresh sooner than later. Nothing leaking (yet) so is all good

4. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

407k mi, here were my issues this was a old customer's vehicle:
    >706 head castings cracked in the valley
    >Burnt up 3/4 clutchpack
    >Reverse drum was about to let go when rebuilt
    >Hvac blend door actuators
    >AC compressor clutch
    >Factory radio humming
    >Nivomat rear shocks (common ZW5 rpo) are $300 a piece
    >LS rear mains just piss when they fail

And thats it. Still factory troony, rear axle, ac compressor, Jumped time at 387k and got another neglected ~300k mi used engine.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Sounds like a piece of shit to me.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

over the course of 20 years that's nothing

5. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>1st gen
    Repent zoomer

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

See

"Silverado" was dropped as a trim package and became a specific nameplate.
      An equivelant would be dropping the Mustang name and calling all those cars "Cobras".

Dumb frick
      Op, I'd pull the trigger. I'd rather have a 98, but that's a great price for a 99-07 with that mileage as long as the body/frame is sound.

6. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

If you're talking about that cateye, that's an absolute fricking steal, buy it. With that low of miles in my area, that'd be 20-25k depending. My old mans 03' 4.8 has nearly 300k miles on it, it's been a trooper and that thing still runs fantastic, 4l60 made it to 255k, and that was after several years of hauling at or above it's limit 5-6 days a week, 60 mile trips.

7. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

stupidly overpriced for a 20+ year old single-cab long-bed half-ton at any mileage that isn't even rare/classic
    why the frick do people even buy older halftons other than for slamming and hotrodding?

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I bought my old piece of shit truck for $1000, made money doing contractor work, and then sold it for $1000 when it started shitting the bed.
      If you make money with an old truck who cares when it breaks, basically.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

GMs last hurrah before they started cost cutting their trucks as badly as their cars.
      1999-2003 GM trucks are awesome.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Old enough to not have modern tech garbage but new enough to not be bordering on antique. Nothing beats fuel injection with roll up windows

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Lol for that mileage you're an absolute fricking moron. These trucks are bulletproof, they last forever with basically no maintenance. They're also the last decent thing Chevy did, 07+ gas is absolute dogshit because muh DOD

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Not all trucks got cylinder deactivation, only the shit tier models.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *