Ford to pay $365 million for evading the chicken tax on imported Transit Connects

>Manufacture cargo vans in Turkey, with flimsy seats added, and import the vans to the USA
>Because the vans have seats, they count as passenger vans, so the tariff is only 2.5%, rather than the 25% chicken tax that would be imposed on cargo vans
>Immediately after customs inspection, throw the flimsy seats into the trash and convert the vans back to cargo configuration for sale
>After four years of this, Customs catches on and files a lawsuit for estimated penalties of up to $1.3 billion
>The lawsuit was filed in 2013
>Ford's final appeal to the Supreme Court was rejected in 2020
>In 2024, Ford is finally paying $365 million
https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/ford-pay-365-million-us-import-tariff-evasion-case-2024-03-11/
https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/ford-motor-company-agrees-pay-365m-settle-customs-civil-penalty-claims-relating

A Conspiracy Theorist Is Talking Shirt $21.68

Unattended Children Pitbull Club Shirt $21.68

A Conspiracy Theorist Is Talking Shirt $21.68

1. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

Yes! Another well deserved victory for our intrusive over reaching government.

• 3 months ago
      Anonymous

So in your mind Ford is the victim?

• 3 months ago
        Anonymous

Not him but yes

• 3 months ago
          Anonymous

The victims are the consumers who have to pay more for the vehicles, or whatever products and services they consume which have these higher costs built in.

Tariffs are pretty common, unless you think American workers should get paid the same as Turkroaches, if that’s the case don’t b***h about build quality. They could’ve just built it here (the ones sold in the US market) and avoided the whole mess, whatever cost savings they got out of building it in roachland probably were not passed down to the consumer. Stop simping for big corporations, especially Ferd.

• 3 months ago
            Anonymous

All taxes are bad taxes

• 3 months ago
            Anonymous

>american cars
            >build quality

L M A O

• 3 months ago
            Anonymous

Yeah, I’m sure the turkroach can is better. What tiny irrelevant country are you from?

• 3 months ago
        Anonymous

The victims are the consumers who have to pay more for the vehicles, or whatever products and services they consume which have these higher costs built in.

• 3 months ago
        Anonymous

Ford's shareholders you idiot, which is you.

2. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

Cost of doing business. 365 mil is nothing to a company like that. Instead of fines it has to be criminal penalties for those involved if they want this kind of behavior to stop.

3. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

It's still funny Honda is a more American company than any of the Big 3. Really boggles the noogininian

• 3 months ago
      Anonymous

In what way?

• 3 months ago
        Anonymous

Honda
        >American branch has more says in their own governance than Japanese head office
        >Best of their cars made in the US
        >Most parts of JDM cars are made in the US
        >Make more cars than any other market for Honda
        >More revenue gained from US market
        >Most loyal fan base in the US

GM
        >Chinese and Korean models all over
        >Nearly entirely owned by Chinks by now

Chrysler
        >Owned by Euros
        >Every single model must be changed by frenchies or some shit head
        >Every other model is foreign made

Ford
        >Mexican everything
        >Every day moving more and more to Mexico
        >Selling off what's left to China
        >Toyota sells more cars most days

• 3 months ago
          Anonymous

>Ford
          >Mexican everything
          >Edge - Ontario, CA
          >Escape - Louisville, KY
          >Explorer - Chicago, IL
          >F150 - Kansas City
          >Mustang - Dearborn, MI
          >Transit - Kansas City
          Are you fricking moronic? No need to actually answer that rhetorical question btw.

• 3 months ago
            Anonymous

It’s a asiaticshill

• 3 months ago
            Anonymous

like 40% of fords entire part suppliers are based in china now.

• 3 months ago
          Anonymous

Honda
          >pozzed CVT turbo only shit
          >Oh, you want a type R? That will be $40,000 + tip + markup :^)
          GM
          >lol
          Chrysler
          >makes one car
          Ford
          >lmao even

• 3 months ago
          Anonymous

branch has more says in their own governance than Japanese head office
          Yet they have the worst lineup in the entire North American market and can’t figure out RWD, V8s, SUVs, or the full-size segment

4. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

probably would have been cheaper to just manufacture them in the US to begin with instead of closing plants and shipping jobs overseas.

• 3 months ago
      Anonymous

Nah, the cost of labor in Turkey is some of the lowest in the world

• 3 months ago
      Anonymous

Why would they build small gay European vans in the US?

5. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

chicken tax is fricking moronic. i would vote for any politician that promises to get rid of it and CAFE

6. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

Shouldn't somebody be arrested? This is literally "conspiring to defraud the United States"

It has a 5 year prison sentence

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/371

• 3 months ago
      Anonymous

Nah that's only if you do it as an individual. If you do it as the ceo of a company, the company gets fined

• 3 months ago
      Anonymous

Maybe they should be motivating car companies to build automobiles people want in the states rather than using loopholes to import them in. Ford makes a $20K no frills truck and that shit is sold out everywhere. Meanwhile Toyota makes a $13K truck in Thailand that a lot of people here would be chomping at the bit to buy.

• 3 months ago
        Anonymous

Why the frick would the government do that after spending decades incentivizing businesses to offshore and outsource?

• 3 months ago
          Anonymous

Because they'd want the country to prosper? I get what you're trying to say but I'm looking at the situation as a problem to solve rather than what's realistic.

• 3 months ago
            Anonymous

Modern western "leaders" are cosmopolitan at heart; they take the global perspective, and aren't concerned about how the local population is doing. They have enough wealth to not be tied to a piece of land like you and I. A guy that can fly out to his mansion in New Zealand whenever he wants doesn't give a shit that his policies are turning your state into a shithole. Politicians with provincial loyalties are becoming really fricking rare, and ones with enough balls to stand by those loyalties even more so.

• 3 months ago
            Anonymous

Not sure if you noticed but there's more and more backlash against those "cosmopolitan" leaders who do not represent their constituents. At the very least this should be a rallying point for people to look for change in who they elect to govern them. Again, this is more about solution seeking than what should be expected.

• 3 months ago
        Anonymous

No motivation to when there isn't any competition and shit laws like exist CAFE. Why sell a 20k no frills truck when you can sell an 80k frills truck instead?

• 3 months ago
          Anonymous

>you can sell an 80k frills truck instead
          This is getting less and less prevalent though. The Maverick should be an indicator of how times are changing.

• 3 months ago
            Anonymous

>Maverick should be an indicator of how times are changing.
            20% price increase in 2 years?

• 3 months ago
            Anonymous

Due to demand for a cheaper, no frills truck. If the price starts getting into F-150 territory then the appeal will be lost.

• 3 months ago
        Anonymous

The "$20k Maverick" only ever existed on paper for a model year. They're almost $30k now OTD and you still can't just go to a lot and buy one. Once again stuck in the conundrum of "price that close may as well buy an F150" which is exactly what Ford wants.

• 3 months ago
          Anonymous

>They're almost $30k now
          because of demand
          >price that close may as well buy an F150
          that should drive demand for the Maverick down which means the market corrects or it ends up like the other vehicles Ford dropped. Pretty sure the whole point of the Maverick was to do promote growth with a value nameplate, which goes away once that value disappears.

• 3 months ago
            Anonymous

Demand seems to be slowing for the Maverick, it makes sense at $20k, makes zero sense at $30k

• 3 months ago
            Anonymous

At $30k I'd want a ladder frame and longitudinal layout. Then I expect that in my $2500 shit box so I doubt I'm anyone's target market.

• 3 months ago
        Anonymous

>Meanwhile Toyota makes a $13K truck in Thailand that a lot of people here would be chomping at the bit to buy.

And it's illegal to bring that to the US market because of government regulations.

• 3 months ago
          Anonymous

Illegal or exorbitantly expensive?

• 3 months ago
      Anonymous

>Shouldn't somebody be arrested?
      Yes. Start with Executive Office, then Senate, then Congress. Then focus on ADL and AIPAC. Maybe then the world will begin healing.

7. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

>make some shitty law
    >gets legally exploited
    >throw a shit fit that it got exploited
    I hate the ~~*government*~~ and love stories about exploiting loopholes

My favourite was some law about how fish had to be transported by rail or some shit, so some place built a rail line that was like 100m long, and every truck loaded with fish would drive up a ramp onto a rail car, and get moved up and down the line, then drive off 2 minutes later.

• 3 months ago
      Anonymous

for me it's kennesaw and its mandatory gun ownership law (unless you're a convicted felon, mentally unstable or just don't want one) that was made to spite surrounding areas putting up increasingly restrictive laws at the time

• 3 months ago
        Anonymous

>mandatory
        >unless you just don't want one
        top kek, glad they have a sense of humour

• 3 months ago
          Anonymous

local cops didn't enforce it at all iirc. it really was just to spite the anti-gun laws popping up around them at the time. ladt time i checked at least 85% of the people living there owned at least one gun and it was one of the safest places in the US zozzle

• 3 months ago
      Anonymous

This is it, makes me chuckle. They did it for 12 years before the loophole got closed.

• 3 months ago
        Anonymous

>make some shitty law
        >gets legally exploited
        >throw a shit fit that it got exploited
        I hate the ~~*government*~~ and love stories about exploiting loopholes

My favourite was some law about how fish had to be transported by rail or some shit, so some place built a rail line that was like 100m long, and every truck loaded with fish would drive up a ramp onto a rail car, and get moved up and down the line, then drive off 2 minutes later.

I went down a small rabbit hole when I first heard about this, and learned about cruise ships in the US.

So we all know that most ships are registered under flags of convenience, to get around certain restrictions/requirements, and pay their on board staff below minimum wage, etc.
        But as it turns out if you want to run a cruise tour in the US, you have to use a US registered ship, HOWEVER, if you do an international tour, say, to one stop in Canada, you can now use a ship registered wherever the frick you want (mostly Panama).
        And that's why when you take a cruise around the US, you always make one stop in Canada or one of those little Jamaica islands off Florida or whatever.

That's also why cruises in Hawaii are generally not a thing, since there's no foreign countries nearby.

• 3 months ago
          Anonymous

Sounds very israeli.

8. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

For once ill side with the corporation

Here in Australia we finally did our own chicken tax and its total bullshit

9. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

Based Ford keeping their money out of Ukraine as best they can

10. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

Not only is this a small amount of money to Ford, but the Transit Connect was unpopular and no one really wanted them over the regular transit. they aren't even popular in europe. Ford could easily skirt the tax again by chopping the car up, and having it """assembled""" in america so it doesn't count as an import, which is what the japs started doing in the 90s.

its a complete nothing-burger.

11. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

Daily reminder that the chicken tax exists because of lobbying from the big three to protect these moron-ass companies who refuse to innovate to compete with the nips an yurogays, so it's immensely funny when it backfires on those companies. Also the money is going right to the government because of course they really need it there are wars to fund and illegals to hand gibs to.

• 3 months ago
      Anonymous

Reminder to you the big 3 still outperform everything else in the world so hard for the money it's not worth talking about. Except in reliability I give Honda and Toyota their due respect.

12. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

I hope ford still makes out positive with this.
    I fricking hate shitty laws more then I hate Black folk.

13. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

after customs inspection, throw the flimsy seats into the trash and convert the vans back to cargo configuration for sale
    i don't understand why ford/ford dealers would be one to remove seats, instead of giving a wonk to customers to remove seats or adding it as and after-sales service?

reminds me of what dealers in poland did like 17-20 years ago
    >cargo vehices have bigger tax breaks, no matter body type
    >dealers start installing filmsy mesh divider so it would qualify as cargo vehicle

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *