Found an open cabinet of what it seems a cisco switch in a supermarket ground car parking lot, can i do any kind of internet sniffing or anything else...

Found an open cabinet of what it seems a cisco switch in a supermarket ground car parking lot, can i do any kind of internet sniffing or anything else? I'm slowly learning ethical hacking using python on kali.

I thought this would be an opportunity, i don't wanna do any damage, just entering will be enough.

Any advice? Should i do it?.

Homeless People Are Sexy Shirt $21.68

The Kind of Tired That Sleep Won’t Fix Shirt $21.68

Homeless People Are Sexy Shirt $21.68

1. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

just snatch the switch, reset it then sell it.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

you're black i suppose??

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

so what

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

thing looks ancient, probably doesn't even have 1gbit ports. worth jack shit.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

you don't need more

2. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>Any advice?
    Close the cabinet/closet and walk away. Make sure you wipe away your fingerprints on anything you touched.
    >Should i do it?.
    Of course not. If you want to practice ``ethical'' hacking, buy used hardware off ebay and hack it.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

i didn't specify i live in a country that doesn't give a frick about web laws, the cabinet was found in an abandoned room, where hobos stayed, on top of that the door was open. There was only a camera but i doubt it could do something.

the camera model is a hikvision DS-2CD4B26FWD-IZ(S)

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

I didn't specify that you should only be worried about your government.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

You're white I suppose?

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous
  3. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I will tell you what it is right now. That’s for the IP camera monitoring the parking garage. Assume there is one pointed at the closet containing the switch. Walk away. Ethical hacking is still 100% criminal activity in the USA and you will get sodomized by feds.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>it's for the IP camera
      >PoE light is off

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/dUi7xKo.jpg

and btw coud someone tell me what is this? sorry for the bother but im a newbie.

4. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

you need your own computer, just connect your machine to one of the switch slots and see what's on the network

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

yeah i alrerady know that, i thought about using scapy for it, so i could see the network

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

don't bother with packet sniffing just yet (its probably all https so its useless)
        Figure out what kinds of services are on the network and try exploiting them directly

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

could you even give a remote example?

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

figure out what the subnet is and run nmap on it new friend
            if this isn't intuition then do some more hackthebox

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

okay, thanks

5. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>he doesn't have a pocket SBC for these kinds of situations
    ngmi

6. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

OP here, anyway, im planning to operate in the next days, i have a thinkpad, i'll set some script to do the trick and then i'll update here, meanwhile i'll wait for other responses.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

I hope you don't get killed. Goodbye.

7. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

and btw coud someone tell me what is this? sorry for the bother but im a newbie.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

That’s were you plug in your hacker box

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Power over Ethernet injector, looks like it’s Ubiqiti branded

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

POE

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Ubiquiti POE injector, probably for some wireless station.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

This is a PoE injector to power wireless APs through the ethernet cable. These are needed when it's not a PoE switch.

don't bother with packet sniffing just yet (its probably all https so its useless)
      Figure out what kinds of services are on the network and try exploiting them directly

This is not the reason not to bother with packet captures. It's a switch, not a hub. You will not get unicast traffic unless it is for your host. You will get broadcast traffic, probably it will be mostly ARP requests. There are a number of techniques the fool other hosts into incorrectly sending you unicast traffic, but it's likely beyond your skill level.

if it has a free port and you can get into the console you can configure a SPAN port to sniff any traffic passing through
      a switch in a parking lot probably connects only sensors, switches, APs and other things of little value

These Cisco switches have special Console ports - these are serial ports in form factors that appear the same as Ethernet ports, but the pinout is different. The first thing that most admins learn is to set the console password, so this is likely a dead end on top of needing a specialized cable for it.

Once you start unplugging cables to connect your own host, you will cause an interruption of service, and its a dick move. If you insist, the best thing that you can do is just plug in somewhere and hope that you get a DHCP address so you can run nmap. Some ports will not work for you if they are Tagged ports (in these older Cisco switches, they are configured as "Trunk" ports), so you may have to try multiple. Depending on PVID settings, you may also get different IP networks depending on the port.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Also, don't frick with the fibre cables (the yellow ones in your photo). They are glass and will crack and break if you bend them too tightly.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>special Console ports in form factors same as Ethernet ports
        you mean standard console ports then? These have been used for as long as I can remember. Two decades? Three?
        you'd be surprised how many network devices are not set up properly even with basic password protection or weak password like cisco or admin.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Yes, standard console ports for Cisco and some other devices - standard enough that the cable I would just refer to as "Console Cable". I explain the way I have because it's obvious that OP has no idea what he's looking at. However, not all devices use that form factor though, especially not today. Today, most devices just use a USB to UART bridge for console access.

8. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Don't do it Tyrone

9. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Unless you are being paid for offensive security and the company is okay with you entering their network, an ethical hacker would disclose to the company that the cabinet is open and unlocked, explain the risks, and stop there.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

interesting dude

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>He doesn't want OP to get some practice before he goes in for the real deal

10. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Do something gay like pee on it

11. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

if it has a free port and you can get into the console you can configure a SPAN port to sniff any traffic passing through
    a switch in a parking lot probably connects only sensors, switches, APs and other things of little value

12. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

just unplug it all

13. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

If this is badly configured, plugging your PC in might give you access to some vlans like admin stuff.
    You might also want to look for the VOIP port. That shit gives you fast speed.
    But since you're asking here, you probably should listen to other anons. You don't know what you're doing. You will get fricked.

14. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>I'm slowly learning ethical hacking using python on kali.
    Then you'd know: If you're going to do "ethical hacking" you'd ask the fricking building owners/manager before doing anything.

Enjoy the pound-me-in-the-ass prison when you moronly blunder into this and they find out, though.

15. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Snap the fiber.

16. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>"ethical hacking"
    turbo reddit shit btw
    just admit that you want to be a nuisance and frick around with peoples computers

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

You got me

17. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

> python on kali
    autistic moron found
    opinion invalidated

18. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

That's a fiber optic switch, I don't know about you but I'd leave that shit alone because I like being able to see.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

It has a media converter on top of the switch, most likely.
      Fiber to copper.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *