>full service manual says to use high octane in dry+hot summer conditions
>people say high octane doesn't give performance over 87

So which one is it.

Shopping Cart Returner Shirt $21.68

Ape Out Shirt $21.68

Shopping Cart Returner Shirt $21.68

1. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

should I follow the service manual, or "people"?

2. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

It takes a higher IQ to realize that both are true.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

both. octane rating is simply the resistance to detonation. hotter environments mean the fuel is more likely to pre-ignite which is really bad for an engine

those statements aren't contradicting
      moron

This implies that there is more knock moron at WOT under high use, hot air conditions.
      i.e. use premium gas in summer to get better performance. Not more horsepower, but better performance.

3. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

both. octane rating is simply the resistance to detonation. hotter environments mean the fuel is more likely to pre-ignite which is really bad for an engine

4. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I just always use premium cause I always like to leave the ac maxxed out, I always like to floor it to the redline, and I frequently overload my car. Happy little engine works best with premium. The "people" who say hurr dur you dont need premium are driving around like slugs and replacing the engine or car before 300,000 miles.

Or they have something with less than 60hp/L My old suburbans gave zero fricks about gasoline as long as there was lots of it

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Let's see your 300k mile car lol.
      >uhhhhh well

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I make 90/hp a liter and use 87, you're a moronic homosexual who thinks 'premium' literally means it's better.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

https://www.boefab.com/blogs/tech/72880323-knock-knock-ping
        >Consider the Northstar engine:
        >If you do a full throttle 0-60 blast, the engine will likely run up to 6000 RPM at a 11.5:1 or 12:1 air fuel ratio.
        >But under sustained load, at about 20 seconds, that air fuel ratio is richened up by the PCM to about 10:1.
        >That is done to keep the spark plugs cool, as well as the piston crowns cool.
        >That richness is necessary if you are running under continuous WOT load.

Do you even WOT??

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

What does this have to do with premium gas you moron

5. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

bout tree fiddy

6. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

those statements aren't contradicting
    moron

7. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Put in what the manual says. You are not smarter than the people who designed the engine.

8. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

sounds like the car is old enough that it doesn't have a knock sensor to manage that for you
    but yes, using higher octane will bring the performance back up to factory specification in this case

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Ha no, that manual is from a 2014 pentastar. Two knock sensors. I'm dumb and can't figure out how to get the oil temp and KR from the ECU in Torque PIDs but would love to see those numbers.
      What I can say from a couple summers of data logging is 91 octane is good for 1.5-2 points of advance nearly across the rpm range in 100+ temps, and there is a (statistically) significant low speed high load improvement. KR count access would be very nice but again, I'm an idiot. Hence I ask the OP question.

9. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Engines don't get their performance form the fuel they use. The octane number is related to how much cylinder pressure and cylinder temperature an engine produces. High pressures and high temperatures mandate higher octane numbers or else the fuel gets too hot inside the cylinder and ignites by itself which causes engine damage. The level of octane does not add or subtract performance, it is merely a measure of how much the fuel withstands self-ignition.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

In many modern cars with performance engines, they are designed to make higher compression when you put premium in, but they adjust the timing if you put regular gas in and the engine detects knock. So the OP's car will literally get more performance with higher octane fuel.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

It's not really the fuel then is it? The fuel isn't what gives the performance, it's the extra timing advance. It's like saying that guns kill people even though it's the people that use the guns as a tool. Running premium fuel on an engine that doesn't moron timing depending on the fuel won't give it any extra added performance.

And even then, OP's car specifically says it will moron timing only in very specific use cases, it doesn't moron timing in normal operation.

10. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

What is your zip code?

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

41812 why?

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Because your humidity is high.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

No this week I have highs in the 105-110 range with 8-12% humidity, and real summer is expected to be warmer and drier than average.

40+ million people live in "southwest" or equivalent weather conditions - using 91 octane in an 87 car in summer is good advice, double so if your engine has a turbo.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

You should check for new Medicare Part C plans in your zip code!
        Dy-no-mite!

11. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

say high octane doesn't give performance over 87.
    In reality this depends of the car. If just a basic econobox built for 87 octane gas, then theres no performance benefit of high octane gasoline. If its a high compression or forced induction engine, higher performance engine then there can performance increase on higher octane gasoline. Some high performance cars require 91 and higher octane gasoline to run full performance.

12. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>people say high octane doesn't give performance over 87

Depends on the engine you fricking brainlet
    If your engine is knock limited for timing, then the engine will have to pull timing on lower octane fuel, which will result in lower power.
    If your engine ISN'T knock limited for timing then higher octane fuel won't give you shit without increasing the compression ratio or increasing the boost.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *